How is the Defense going to deal with Denver

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: How is the Defense going to deal with Denver

AZPAT the broncos lost the game where manning threw 3 picks in the first quarter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A lot of ball control.

Manning hasn't been himself (a little lose in accuracy compaired to the past) and his receivers aren't nearly as good as when he was on the Colts. So, you dominant the ToP and force Manning to beat you with crisp clean passes in which he'll need every series in order to win the game. Force the issue and let his guys makes the plays and capitalize when the pressure starts to pile up on him

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but TOP has no bearing on a team's ability to gash the middle of the Pats' defense via the air. Look at what Flacco and Fitzgerald did.... Flacco wasn't sacked, yet had 300+ and 3 TD's. Fitzgerald played for his life and still had more yards than Brady and 4 TD's. Manning had a Manning-esque game yesterday: 30/38, 330+ yds, 3 TD's. Remember, this is against a team that beat the Steelers the week before. And no one's saying that Gentle Ben is a stiff.

My hope is that BB comes up with a few wrinkles to confuse Manning, as he's done in teh oast. But, thise teams had better DB's. While Manning will be going up against a Pats hemmoraging yards over the middle (he can still smell blood), the Pats will be facing a decent, better than avg Bronco defense (MUCH better than the Bills' imitation of the Pats' 2011 defense, as wexhibited yesterday).

I just hope we're not going to see a repeat of prior Pats seasons, where they beat up on non-playoff caliber teams and gak up losses to playoff ones. Doesn't bode well for the post season. Plus, they need to plug that huge hole in teh DB's.

[/QUOTE]

Watch out rusty is about to swing in and call you a troll pink hat instead of actually talking about this.  

I think DMC played very well and the other corners stay close but the safeties seem to be late to the ball often.

Is it the type of zone the Pats are running?  It not like they are biting on play action when these mistakes happen.

[/QUOTE]

It could very well be as simple as communication. But, even last season, the safeties were letting opposing WR's get behind them (remember the SB on the last drive?).  I just don't see a consistency. When the DLine and LB's play well, the DB's get burned. When they don't play well, they get torched on the ground. I just want to see an "Oh, crap! We gotta play teh Patriots defense!" mentality.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I feel pretty confident that the DB's won't get beat long as Noodle Arm Manning just doesn't have the zip for the long ball that he used to have.  From what I have seen, the Broncos have been passing short to mid field.  Manning seems to throw rainbow ducks when he goes long so if the Broncos try the deep ball it will be int's all day long.  I like how the DB's and LB's play the short to mid field passing game and the D has been very good against the run.  I feel good about this game!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Never mind Manning, how about the ability for Pats' receivers to hold onto the darn ball inside their own Red Zone? Two fumbles deep in their own end is NOT a good thing. Overcoming hqanding out 14 points against an inferior team is a hard enough task to do. They'd be inviting disaster if tehy do this vs the Broncos.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think of both Welker and the Gronk fumbling in the same game, and having Ghost missed two field goals, an abherration.  You essentially are expecting the same thing to happen next Sunday.  I seriously doubt it will.

[/QUOTE]

Not expecting it, but we didn't expect it against the Bills either, did we? It's not like Welker and Gronk NEVER fumbled, or that Ghost EVER missd a FG, is it? It happened before and COULD happen again. Maybe not to those guys, but others could do it, especially with a Champ Baily roaming around on defense. All I'm saying is that if it happened again, the Pats could be in serious trouble, as the Broncos are NOT the Bills. Any turnover giving the ball to Manning has a better than average chance of NOT working out well for you. I'll say that unitl he can't throw a ball 30 yards without a definitive wobble.

The missd FG's? A TD overcomes that. What really stings about the missed FG's is the time used to get into FG position to come away empty. Late in the game, with a capable offense, sometimes you'd much rather have the time off the clock back rather than the 3-6 points missed. You just can't afford wasting 3-6 minutes on a drive to come away empty. The Pats have been doing this without missing a FG., which is bad enough. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I though the d played much better than the score indicates. They gave up a couple of bad plays in the first half but then settled down. Buffalo has a great running game that was shut down, they also shut down Stevie Johnson . I'd bet that was the plan. The BB defenses alway improve throughout the season, just like last season. The defense is going to be elite come playoff time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Here's my recipe to beat this current Peyton Manning...

First you walk up to Patrick Chung tomorrow and tell him there's a piece of paper waiting for him in the coach's room...it's pink...it has his name on it and guess what Patrick?! You get to start free agency a little earlier than you planned!! You and your agent should be so pleased! You won't have to worry about us low balling you with an offer or us not offering you anything at all...you can go now.

Next, I put however is playing safety for us next week a lot closer together in the middle of the field and make Peyton throw to the outside and complete passes that require a lot of velocity. I have no idea if this part of my plan will work, but I'm certain the first part will help.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A lot of ball control.

Manning hasn't been himself (a little lose in accuracy compaired to the past) and his receivers aren't nearly as good as when he was on the Colts. So, you dominant the ToP and force Manning to beat you with crisp clean passes in which he'll need every series in order to win the game. Force the issue and let his guys makes the plays and capitalize when the pressure starts to pile up on him

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but TOP has no bearing on a team's ability to gash the middle of the Pats' defense via the air. Look at what Flacco and Fitzgerald did.... Flacco wasn't sacked, yet had 300+ and 3 TD's. Fitzgerald played for his life and still had more yards than Brady and 4 TD's. Manning had a Manning-esque game yesterday: 30/38, 330+ yds, 3 TD's. Remember, this is against a team that beat the Steelers the week before. And no one's saying that Gentle Ben is a stiff.

My hope is that BB comes up with a few wrinkles to confuse Manning, as he's done in teh oast. But, thise teams had better DB's. While Manning will be going up against a Pats hemmoraging yards over the middle (he can still smell blood), the Pats will be facing a decent, better than avg Bronco defense (MUCH better than the Bills' imitation of the Pats' 2011 defense, as wexhibited yesterday).

I just hope we're not going to see a repeat of prior Pats seasons, where they beat up on non-playoff caliber teams and gak up losses to playoff ones. Doesn't bode well for the post season. Plus, they need to plug that huge hole in teh DB's.

[/QUOTE]

AZ - I hear what you are saying but we didn't dominate ToP with either the Ravens or Ari. There was a ~2min difference in both the Ari and Bal which is essential 1-1.5 extra mins for Bal's and Ari's O (take 1 min from Pats give it to Bal they are the same). They both had just as much time as the Pats to run plays (minus 3 plays) which is something you can't give to Manning. You need a clear 8 min difference in ToP which is equal to about a series. If the Pats can have a 34min ToP to Den 26min ToP then it puts extra pressure on Manning to make every series count. Given that Manning still isn't 100% Manning and his receivers he been prone to lapses in judgement and route running this only increases the chances of a turn over. 1 turn over with no ToP can be fatal to a guy known to crack under mounting pressure throughout the game. You force them to play perfectly and that's how you beat them. In Ari and Bal we played sloppy and they got plenty of chances without fear of not having time.

[/QUOTE]

First off, did you know that the Bills scored 28 points on 4 drives: avg 5.5 plays and 63 yds per drive, avg 2:10/drive? The Pats averaged this on all ther TD drives: 6 plays, 60 yds, 2:30/per. We'll all immediately recognize that the Pats have quick strike capability. The Bills? Manning handled 4 TD drives yesterday, averaging: 7 plays, 60 yards, and 3 minutes/per. Anyone saying that Manning doesn't have the same quick strike potential is just deluding themselves. Winning teh TOP "war" is not a good barometer of winning games, while I will conceed that MOST teams winning this will win the game. But, when yiu have quick strike capability, this goes out the window. All it takes is 1 play to get you 7 points, as the Bills did on a fumble turnover.

When you say: 1 turn over with no ToP can be fatal to a guy known to crack under mounting pressure throughout the game, are you talking about Manning or brady? Seems to me Brady has had issues winning close games against quality opponents/games that really matter, since the 2007 SB. Perhaps you are jaded by your personal feelings about Manning when he was pitching for the Colts? Check out the stats.... he's still in the top 10. All I'm saying is not to sell him short.

As for Arizona and Baltimore, don't sell them short either. One is still undefeated, and the other has only 1 loss. All I hear, including yesterday by the TV announcers is that the Pats are only a couple of plays away from being undefeated too. Maybe, but they FAILED to make these plays. Could you make the reverse arguement that the Falcons SHOULDN'T be undefeated, saved by the one play yesterday vs the Panthers (the QB fumble late)? Games are won/lost on the field. When you fail to take advantage of a gift, you need to give credit to the other guys for making the play(s) when they had to, which is more that what the Pats did in either of those games.  As with the Welker and Gronk fumbles, do we expect them to do that again any more than having the Cardinals block a punt inside the Pats 10 yard line? Fact is all three events happened, plus the missed FG's Can't excuse them away

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not expecting this D to shut down Manning. But if they can up the pass rush as they started to do v Bills it will make a world of difference.

One key element will be continuing to use the running game as a means of domination unless the opponent overcompensates and gives Brady a reason to throw. That would be a D mistake.

This will be another test. At 2-2 it is one the Pats need to pass and not fail.

[/QUOTE]

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AZPAT the broncos lost the game where manning threw 3 picks in the first quarter.

[/QUOTE]

You are correct; my bad. But he led the Broncos on two 4th Qtr drives to close trhe gap to 6 points vs the Falcons. The Bronco D couldn't force a late game punt on the Falcons last possession.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you think 2 missed FGs on short drives and 2 fumbles helped the Bills ability to "gash" the Pats D? I mean, please.

You sound just like Dan Dierdork who apparently had no idea Tracey White and Nate Ebner saw time at the end with Bequette and Scott out there. I can live with 21 points or less alowed on the road against a good offense hellbent on taking yo out. Take away the terrible execution by the offene and the D repeatedly on the field over and over in the first half, and I think we see less than the 21 points the starting D allowed and less yards, obviously. Buffalo has a good offense with Jackson, Spiller, Chandler is an emerging TE, Stevie Johnson, etc.

Some of you continue to be overly critical with the D and I just don't get it unless you're just really good trolls posing as Pats fans, which we've seen before.

Mayo was covering Jackson and did all he could to break that one up. Sometimes you tip you cap in this league. Same deal on Chung's failed defense on Chandler Nice throw, nice catch by a tall TE. 

The only play I didn't like was the long TD play to put them up 21-7. Agree there. That was bad, but I would like to see the offense not be so horrendous on the road like that with the fumbles, two missed FGs which immediately gave Buffalo great field position, relentlessly.  There is asbolutely nothing "soft" about Brandon Spikes, Vince Wilfork, Mayo, Hightower, Chung, etc, down the middle.

Some of you need to adjust your expectation meter to go alongside with ROgie Goodel's no holding league where miraculously no O Linemen in any game across this league hold. I see plenty of jersey's being pulled within most all of these plays. lmao

If you can't get pressure in the first 2-3 seconds off the ball, every single set of LBs and Safeties in this league will give up some plays.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I didn't get that warm non-alcohol induced "glow" on the only play 24 yd TD pass, or the 2 passes for 54 yards on the Bills 2nd TD drive. But I did feel TERRIFIC about the 68 yard TD pass. And, these came when it was STILL a game. I felt at ease. Here's a clue" Any time your teqam gives up over 425 yards and 28 points, including middle of the field chunks or yardage, it's NOT a good thing. Did you read my take on how the DB's gak it up when the front 7 do their jobs?

My expectation level is simple: after many seasons of underachieving, including two SB losses, these guys need to prove to me that they are a SB winning team again, and not a reincarnation of those Colt teams we all decried as "paper champs", more befitting of Stat Hogs. Winning regular season games is good, but I'll take a few more losses if we win the last game of the season in February.

Ever hear of the addage: you play like you practice?  I see the need for many long nights buring the oil trying to get it right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I though the d played much better than the score indicates. They gave up a couple of bad plays in the first half but then settled down. Buffalo has a great running game that was shut down, they also shut down Stevie Johnson . I'd bet that was the plan. The BB defenses alway improve throughout the season, just like last season. The defense is going to be elite come playoff time.

[/QUOTE]

Grape or Cherry kool-ade?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Run the ball effectively and get enough pressure to get Peyton outside the pocket. Maybe blitz Hightower up the middle.  Let's not forget that, Tebow Jesus Magic aside, the Denver D is what kept them in most games last year. OL has to neutralize the rush and get Brady time when needed.

My educated guess is that Peyton's accuracy outside the pocket drops considerably.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Peyton Manning 2012 isn't the Manning of old.  He's lost some of his zip on the ball so that he can't place the ball perfectly, and he doesn't seem to have all of his previous decision-making ability any more.  His age, maybe some injuries and the big layoff have all affected him some.  That's why Peyton is throwing interceptions this year.  Peyton can't throw long.  When he tries, the ball sometimes hits the ground in front of his target, or sometimes his target makes a shoelace catch.  The Patriots backfield will try to tempt Peyton into a bad decision.  Otherwise, expect a really savvy guy who can run his hurry-up offense and who can throw the ball out of bounds when the pressure gets too close. 

I have the Patriots by 11.1 points.  footballlocks.com has them by 7 points.  It's not at all my game of the week.  That would be San Francisco to wallop Buffalo.

Dan Koppen was dropped from the Patriots in September because he couldn't stop anybody any more.  Now Koppen is starting for Denver and he'll have to stop Vince Wilfork.  That's going to be an additional inside pass rush problem for Peyton.  My stats sometimes don't pick up late injuries at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

The Patriots scored 86 points against the Broncos in two games last year.  They set all kinds of records in the second game and probaby could have scored 60.  Has the Broncos' defense improved?

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As for Gomer And The Broncos.  I respect Gomer immensly.   He's one of the best ever, and still is.

So, here's 10:

1. Run the ball effectively to keep him off the field. Because now we CAN.

2. Study what the Falcons were doing because their D (atlanta's) isn't shut down.

3. The Pats aren't the Raiders, so they WILL put up more than 3 points.

4. BB finds a way to berate the D for their "lousy" performance against the Bills :-)

5. BB knows this is the "over-the-hump", critical game.

6. Keep McDaniels in isolation, away from the team.  Have Weis call in the plays from a remote location.

7. Not the same O-line Gomer had in Indy.

8. I will be the optimist and say DMC has turned a huge corner.

9. Pats will NOT lose 2 in a row at home.  They want to reward the fans.

10. Could we see Hernandez? Wishfull thinking

[/QUOTE]

The Patriots lead the NFL in total yardage and total points.  The offensive coordinator needs to go!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILLB50. Show BILLB50's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did you watch the last 2 games, AZPat?  As long as the refs allow that kind of holding, NO TEAMS are going to get sacks.

It's disturbing what Goodell is doing, IMO.

Buffalo has millions on Mario and Mark Anderson and what did they do?  Basically nothing for 4 qtrs. Dareus broke through on Wendell once and that was pretty much it.

I'd say the pressures are important, not just sacks.  How can you complain about, what, 6 tunovers yesterday, some of the very timely variety. 

[/QUOTE

Oh, stop it!! Holding is a judgement call. Refs can call holding on every NFL and college play, if they want to get ticky-tack on the point. Would that satisfy you? You'd sure get all the holding calls you could stand and 0-0 games. Or, do you have a one way bias against any Pats penalty, particularly holding? There is a consistency with making these calls league wide, NIT just witht eh Pats. Always has been, always will be. So fughedaboudit! Get over your conspiracy theory bunk!

As far as Mario goes, no one in Hiustoin was sad to see him go.... one good season, several partials, and not worth the money he sought out. Buffalo was dumb enuf to pay him. He's playing just like a lot of other "pros" do.... he got his, and it shows. That defense was pretty bad before he got there, and he's got no "added value" to it. So, Mario isn't and can't figure to be a factor till he gets himself motivated to show he's worth the money,a nd not just anoter dfree agent splash that belly flopped.

Maybe I missed something, but turnovers don't equate to being gashed over the middle, again. Where I come from, and the sport I grew up with, a turnover meant you took possession of the football away from your opponent. Aside from the INT's, Fitzgerald handled the Pats DB's. They couldn't stop my deceased Grandma in a wheelchair moving up hill with a flat tire (again).  

Will you go on record right here, right now, to say that if Manning lights them up and somehow pulls out a win, againt the same Pats defense we saw yesterday (multiple turnovers) that you won't be concerned? Remember, Manning threw 3 INT's in the first Qtr and STILL won a game earlier this year.

Sorry, I see Manning drooling at the prospects for Sunday....... This defense is too soft in the middle. I still haven't seen anything to fear from it.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong that was against Atl. Where he had 3 interceptions and they did lose.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

sledgehammer spikes  sledgehammer wilfork  sledgehammer love  sledgehammer mayo

Sledgehammer hit the brick wall. Stock Photo - 4933310

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

The way I see this game..the Broncos defense hasn't all of a sudden gotten better since last year.  I don't think their defense matches up well with our offense AT all.  That said...if Manning can get out to a lead, it will change drastically the tone of how the game goes (I know...Capt Obvious reporting for duty).

I think the Pats offense can have their way and own the game...i'm not sold on the Broncos offensive line either.  Pats defense will have to be disciplined and get a few three and outs.  At that point...the game should be going to our advantage and hopefully we'll see the return of the Manning face.

Manning in Foxborough means nothing anymore.  He's owned our defenses since 2005.  The couple wins we did get, it was a very close game.

Sections
Shortcuts