How long till Pats rebuild to SB caliber team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

How long till Pats rebuild to SB caliber team?

I have to be objective - this season Pats were an average team in a rebuilding year. The team has glaring holes as was obvious all season long, being unable to put opponents away.. Anyway, my question is - how long do you think it will take this team to get back to a level of SB contention? If all goes well with draft picks and the young players melding, and the fact that we have Belichick, and Brady still has at least 5 years left barring further injury, I think Pats can get back to SB contention in the 2012 season.... Thoughts all?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeopielowski. Show mikeopielowski's posts

Re: How long till Pats rebuild to SB caliber team?

I would agree with that assessment. Brady is only 32 years old, and if all goes well, I expect him to be part of another 2-4 year run before he retires. We saw the first run from 01-04, then lesser teams in 05-06. By 2007, the Pats were back to powerhouse status and would have been right back in the mix in 2008. We lost that chance when Brady went down. So, we are a year or two away from being right in the mix again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I also agree.  I wrote yesterday that we should expect them to be rebuilt by 2011 to be a force.  An extra should make them that much better...provided they do somethign about the lame and tame play calling on both sides of the ball of the past four years.  Good players with poor postional coaches and coordinators does not brign success.  Just ask the Bears.  They've had one good receiver after another come and go.  When they paly before the Bears, they succeed.  When they play after the Bears, they succeed.  When they plsy for the Bears, they fail.   Ditto for their RBs. That is due to their positional coaching and coordinating failure.  And that's why they just cleaned those houses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

could be next year....could be never.....one does not know.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I would have to concur that next year is going to be another Patriot rebuilding year. Thinking we'll end up around 10-6 playoff team may or may not get a playoff win. The team will should see some areas improving while other areas will still need improvment. By 2011 this team should be back on track and in the Super Bowl mix. If  you look back at past franchises that had long runs for winning I liken this year to the 49er's of 1991 or the Cowboys of 1973-74. Lets hope we win a few more Super Bowls after the reshuffling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

With a top notch quarterback it can be done in one year. It's not like the 2001 Patriots had any major free agent signings. The signed good players like Phifer and Vrabel for cheap. The Dolphins went from 1-15 to 11-5 in one year with a good draft and a good Quarterback pickup. In the modern NFL if you have a franchise quarterback it should never take more than 2 years to rebuild if you are even remotely competent. We know Belichek can coach like Parcells, now we will find out if he can draft like him without Pioli. Last year was not a good omen, when you go into the draft knowing you have trouble against the pass and your top pick can barely get any playing time. Only Vollmer and Edelman look like keepers at this stage. Our franchise quarterback is not getting any younger so we better rebuild fast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewEnglandah. Show TheNewEnglandah's posts

I really think BB is going to retool alot this year, I wouldnt be surprised if next year was solid enough, plus might jsut get Wes Welker back for the playoffs (wishfull thinking) but I seriosuly think BB is going to pull a lot of moves this offseason

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I dont think we need a ton of off season moves.  A solid draft with good FA signing.  Add a solid #2 WR, pass rushing LB, Solid OG, re-sign Wilfork, Bodden, Ghost and Mankins.  I think that would make us much better if that draft includes an OLB, RB, OL, combo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

My pops says that they should trade their 2011 Raiders first round pick into this year, which would alter the rebuilding timetable.

Unless they implement a rookie wage scale this year, I think it has more value if you hold onto it for when there is a rookie wage scale in place so you can get top-10 talent for cheap.

I think they can turn this team around with the draft picks they have if they use them well and sign the right free agents.

We'll see.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat. Show seattlepat's posts

i agree with cc. you can add to the list of turnaround stories the cardinals. losing seasons for a very long time, suddently making it to the sb last year and proving this year that they were no fluke by beating gb (a valid sb contender). and they beat gb, despite no boldwin (is that how you spell his name?).

living in seattle and hearing on radio day in and day out how the seahawks fans have to suffer with their team's performance (or lack of), i can appreciate that a season can be good even if your team does not win the sb.

i think the key is getting very good players at the draft. i would love it if bb changes strategy, abandoning the value approach and adopt a best player available approach. they could still fill needs but it's filling one of three biggest needs with the best player still on the board.

i know the popular sentiment here is to draft an olb, if not rb. in my opinion, the team got beaten at the line of scrimmage -- both offense and defense. i believe the top three needs are OL, DE and OLB (i have to assume that thomas will be gone). they should take the best player on the board who can fill any of those positions.

as for what to scout for, i think that ravens game showed that the team needs to get faster on d. how many times did we see ne players whiff on tackles? i also noticed that when rice or anybody got a half step ahead, ne defenders cold not catch up. it's like watching a three-speed car going after a six speed one.

that said, i would not sacrifice size for speed. i see on these boards a lot of people suggesting speedy yet undersized DEs or LBs. that was the philosophy that seattle took in forming their team three years ago. they thought that they could perform as well as the ravens by getting fast, even if small, LBs and DBs. Tatupu is the poster child for this. look where they stand now in the league. the thing is, when you go in that direction for two or three years, it is so hard to undo. that's what people here are realizing now, all they could hope for next year is to get closer to .500. it would be a monstrous year for them if tehy get to .500.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Chung wasn't drafted for 2009. Neither was Brace. This coming draft is likely the deepest in history, and we have 4 picks in the top 55.

Imagine if every pick is made with 2010 in mind. All we'd need is a couple quality free agents, and to re-sign some of ours. Our cap is in excellent shape to do so.

And Brady will be another year removed from his injury.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayCampbell1587. Show JayCampbell1587's posts

i believe the patriots could grab hughes(tcu) with their 22nd pick great OLB/DE option terrific season with a chance at having an immediate impact in the NFL and maybe Gerhart(stanford) with their 48/49 pick. I think Gerhart is a solid running back who will do anything for his team. He has alot of heart and i believe that could go a long way in New England. He also has good hands to possibly get him involved in the passing game. I think these picks could help contribute to a fast reform.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

CC: I disagree with your comment regarding the draft. Last year's draft was a GREAT omen. They picked a franchise LT, a Wes Welker clone (in the 7th round!), a strong d-line contributor (not Brace), their long snapper, their most athletic CB, and a safety who could turn into a very good player. What do you want from the 2009 draft? I think it's a great omen. I think losing Pioli helped in that some fresh blood was brought it, and Nick C was up to the challenge. Chung and Butler don't look like keepers? How about Pryor? I can't disagree more with your comment.

You can say BB signings were not great, but he did hit on some (Bodden and McGowan). His trade of Seymour and giving up draft picks for Burgess were terrible. The Seymour move irks me when you factor in the loss of leadership and how they won't benefit for the trade for two years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

I would rather like to see the Pats build slowly through the draft and player development than rebuilding like the Washington Redskins.  Moss only has a few more good years before old age slows him down.  With Brady starting a family and a hand full of rings, does he truly have the passion to go through this rebuilding process?  I'm sure he would like to walk away from the game without a limp. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Just reported by the Globe-the Patriots can hire as many free agents as they want this coming year. If they had won Sunday it would not be the case. 2010 is an uncapped year--time for Mr. Kraft to open his pocketbook, while he really can.

New coaches, new ideas, new players-Brady and Belichick-seems like a good start to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

The Pats could go along way just by changing a couple of coaches and the general scheme. Add a RB through the draft, A real Free safety, an inside Linebacker who can make tackles and a D-lineman that can rush the qb and we are there. Maybe I'm being over optomistic but I don't see why we couldn't address each of those issues in the offseason.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reegz04. Show reegz04's posts

Its kind of upsetting to see soo many "fans" be soo easily willing to throw away Brady soo fast. "lets trade brady, think ahead" I wonder if colts fans do that when Manning doesnt get them to the superbowl every year. I heard this last season when Cassel did well in Brady's absence. Brady has 4-6 more years..And it would definately help to have him around to mentor the next up and coming QB who will most likely be Brady's replacement. You can't just throw him away cuz we lost in the first round of the playoffs. You'll be the one next year loving him if they go deep into the post season. Be a true fan and stick by your team NO MATTER WHAT. he is the guy who brought three rings to this team. I know it is frustrating because it seems like a million years ago. But still. You dont find a Tom Brady every day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The Pats could go along way just by changing a couple of coaches and the general scheme.

Gee, when I put that stuff down, people were asking me if I was being sarcastic.  (I was...following the forum/party line; illustrating absurdity by being absurd.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Next year's schedule is one of the toughest in the league see below, if the team finishes 11-5 and wins the East you have to like their chances.  Now I'm not saying that will be their record but with their schedule if they win 11 games I like their chances to make a run.
    There's a lot of work to do this offseason and I'm sure BB is already well on his way. 
    Coaches, need new OC and DC
    FA Sign VW, extend Brady's contract
    Trade, AD and LM for what you can if not release them
    Draft, OLB RB CB OL DL WR, in order I would like them to address
    2009 rookies on IR, need LB help and WR, two guys on IR have a lot of upside hope this year they are not hurt.

HOME
    Buffalo
    Miami
    Jets
    Baltimore
    Cincinnati
    Green Bay
    Minnesota
    Indianapolis

AWAY
    Buffalo
    Miami
    Jets
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Chicago (whoops, left that out)
    Detroit
    San Diego

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Coaching staff is definitely the biggest move that needs to be made. We need an OC that can come up with more than a half dozen plays.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

see Darrell Revis and the Carolina Panthers

When did the Jets trade him?

Sections
Shortcuts