How long will they stay together?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

How long will they stay together?

Both Welker and Branch are close to each other in years of experience, Wes with 8 and Deion with 10 years.  We have the TE duo of Hernandez and Gronkowski at 2 years apiece.  How long do we think this group will stay together?  Will any of them bolt for more money at contract time or stick around for as long as Brady, with 12 years, is the QB to throw to them?  I'd hate to think any of them would bolt for the money, but, money talks, doesn't it?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: How long will they stay together?

Branch will likley return on a 1-3 year deal to finish his career here

Gronk and Hernandez should both be here 3 more years of their rookie contracts... after that we let one of them go b/c you can't pay 2 guys #1 TE money (see Graham/Watson situation).

Welker is either re-signed for 4-5 years or these next 2 months are his final hurrah w/ the team

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Imagine the offense without Wes.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

In Response to Re: How long will they stay together?:
    [QUOTE]Imagine the offense without Wes.
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]

Offense without 83 is like .... is like....offense of last two playoff games! Pay the man!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Branch will likley return on a 1-3 year deal to finish his career here Gronk and Hernandez should both be here 3 more years of their rookie contracts... after that we let one of them go b/c you can't pay 2 guys #1 TE money (see Graham/Watson situation). Welker is either re-signed for 4-5 years or these next 2 months are his final hurrah w/ the team
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Can't see Branch getting a 3-year deal. One, sure; two...maybe.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Branch is retiriing a Patriot like he should have all along.

Wes, possibly, if the Pats make him a competitive offer. If they try to lowball him, I have no issue with him seeking what he is worth somewhere else.

Retaining Gronk is highest priority. I like Hernandez, but he's a nice complimentary piece, Gronk is critical to success..at least in this offense.

The Welker thing is going to be the biggest storyline come offseason. I'm sure plenty of teams will be enterinig the bidding if he's listening. We could also franchise him for a year. Would cost a bunch, but if we can't get something worked out longer term, could be way to go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Branch will likley return on a 1-3 year deal to finish his career here Gronk and Hernandez should both be here 3 more years of their rookie contracts... after that we let one of them go b/c you can't pay 2 guys #1 TE money (see Graham/Watson situation). Welker is either re-signed for 4-5 years or these next 2 months are his final hurrah w/ the team
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I think we can keep both TEs and I think it's worth it, but it would come out of the WR budget because Hernandez is more of a WR

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

everyone is expendable. As long as BB/Kraft think they are of value, they'll stay.
    Who knows, mebbe Welker wants a big pay day. BB would be wise to try to close a deal before this season is over. If Welker entertains offers during off-season, he will command a premium price from someone - just because someone will wanna screw with BB and the Patriots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerice50. Show jerice50's posts

Branch already left because of the money. Why wouldn't any/all of them do that?
    Do you think Gronk and Aaron have agents that are unlike Branch's?
    Do you think the money in New England is greener than it is anywhere else?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

IMO, the most likely to leave is Gronk.  He is a Good Time Charlie and may seek a bigger city (night life) and more money, like NY or Chicago.  Would not be surprised to see him in green for more green.

Very, very unlikely that the Pats will be able to keep all four when their contracts expire.  It just doesn't happen that way.  

If Gronk has vision, he will realize what Branch realized too late - that staying and playing with Brady = good bid for HOF some day.

I believe Branch is the most likely to re-sign with the Pats, even for smaller money and a shorter contract.  He has his money and now knows that winning on a real team trumps all. Ironically, he would have made more money if he had stayed in N.E., based on his incentive-laden contract with the 'Hawks, and that he would have had monster career numbers with Brady...and probably two more rings.  He was a very fine receiver wasted in Seatle.  Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, are you learning from Branch's hard lesson?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Welker, Branch and Gronk all stay in NE, no doubt in my mind.  Hernandez is the one I think would go somewhere else.  Hernandez is having to share the TE spotlight with Gronk right now and Gronk is getting the better of it.  I think this will ultimately cause Hernandez to look at being another teams fll time TE.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Good point, but it is partly his fault, so moving may not help him.  He's made some fumbles and some key key drops.  Having a good year, very solid, but not on the same plain as Gronk, who already looks like HOF material. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

if gronk and hernandez win a sb ring while under his current contract, I think he and hernandez would take money elsewhere. Like you said, money talks. Careers in the NFL are short. May as well get the green when u can.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]if gronk and hernandez win a sb ring while under his current contract, I think he and hernandez would take money elsewhere. Like you said, money talks. Careers in the NFL are short. May as well get the green when u can.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]
    In these days of mega money contracts, the desire to remain on a team to keep the symmetry and winning ways intact are just about gone.  Look at how many players do not necessarily go to a team which is considered a steady winner and a solid contender.  It is a business and the players need to "get paid".  Granted, if any of us were given a 3 - 5 year contract for $15 - 25 million, we'd be giddy and know we are set for life.  Professional athletes do not think that way, they want the money while the getting is good and as much as the owners are willing to pay them regardless of team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

welker would be tagged if he doesnt sign

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How long will they stay together? : Offense without 83 is like .... is like....offense of last two playoff games! Pay the man!
    Posted by SANPATT[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but before there was Wes, there was... someone else.  After Wes, there will be ... someone else again.  We are already seeing the shift to Gronk with Hernandez outside.  If Wes leaves, we will lose some, a bit.... but some Edelman type will come in and do a decent job there.  We will need another outside threat, but a decent slot plus an outside threat plus the shift to tight ends would more than make up for it.  We need to pay him, he has outperformed his contract for YEARS now. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Out TE duo is locked up here for the next few years, so we don't need to worry about that.  I'm of the opinion that Branch really regrets leaving NE in the first place for money, and won't do it again.  He wants to retire a Patriot with one more ring.  As for Welker, well he's the wildcard.  For his production he is the most under paid player in the NFL.  He wants to stay no doubt, but he also wants a pay day and is smart enough to realize he needs to strike while the iron is hot.  If the Pats don't pay, someone else surely will.  Knowing the Pats though, they slap a franchise tag on him next year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How long will they stay together? : Can't see Branch getting a 3-year deal. One, sure; two...maybe.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

3 years 7.5 million... but all the guaranteed money (say 3 million) is in year 1 and 2...

like 1.75 million out of say 2 million next year, then 1.25 million out of 2.75 million the year after and then 0 out of 2.75 million the year after that.

So to cut him after enxt season isn't a big deal at just over a million in a cap hit and to cut him before the 3rd year doesn't count a dime.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How long will they stay together? : I think we can keep both TEs and I think it's worth it, but it would come out of the WR budget because Hernandez is more of a WR
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Yes as long as the WR we have to sign (to replace Ocho) and Welker (if we keep him) have almost all the contract cash put into the next 3 years... b/c after that all available $ would be going to be both TE's AND another WR we hit the FA market for when Branch is gone and Welker is 34 and either restructering his deal or being cut before the 2015 season.

Only way around that is to sign these guys to deals friendlier to the club in 2015-2020 during or after next season... where they then get bonuses and bumped up base salaries in 2013-14 and earlier security.

Or we can pay them big if land a superstar WR in the draft in any of the next 2 (maybe 3) drafts who will have a manageable contract thry 2016-18. But I won't hold my breathe on that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]IMO, the most likely to leave is Gronk.  He is a Good Time Charlie and may seek a bigger city (night life) and more money, like NY or Chicago.  Would not be surprised to see him in green for more green. Very, very unlikely that the Pats will be able to keep all four when their contracts expire.  It just doesn't happen that way.   If Gronk has vision, he will realize what Branch realized too late - that staying and playing with Brady = good bid for HOF some day. I believe Branch is the most likely to re-sign with the Pats, even for smaller money and a shorter contract.  He has his money and now knows that winning on a real team trumps all. Ironically, he would have made more money if he had stayed in N.E., based on his incentive-laden contract with the 'Hawks, and that he would have had monster career numbers with Brady...and probably two more rings.  He was a very fine receiver wasted in Seatle.  Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, are you learning from Branch's hard lesson?
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Brady will be 37 or 38 and Gronk 25 or 26 when his contract is up.

Playing devil's advocate wouldn't he be wise to collect HOF numbers early in his career with Brady and then jump ship to one of the top 5 QB's in the game under age 30 and spend the next 7-8-9-10 years of his career with that guy?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Good point.  Two other factors - will BB coach sans Brady and who will be playing after Brady.  Kraft has done well at QB so far.