How many experts expected this?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

How many experts expected this?

9-2...Assuming that baltimore, steelers, colts, jets and chargers all make the playoffs (which isnt far-fetched) we would have already played all 5 playoff teams...and we are currently 9-2.

How many experts picked the pats to finish 3rd behind the jets and dolphins?
    How many said that this defense was too young to compete?

There's still a chance that we can fall out of playoff contention, but that is unlikely...all im saying is that im extremely impressed with this team

Thankful for this organization and how much it has spoiled all pats fans for the past decade

Up next...arguably the most anticipated regular season game of the season

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Re: How many experts expected this?

You are absolutely correct and let me tell you that many of them will nit pick every bad play the Pates have on offense,defense and special teams just to soothe their well deserved bruised ego and looking bad,some real bad,based on their obviously egregeously incorrect assessmants.Forget them,most will never change.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Can't argue with the results so far . . .   and I think most of us are pleasantly surprised . . .   but the truth is that if the Pats don't come correct against Green New Jersey, that shiny won-loss record and all those wins against Saltymore and San Dago and Bitchburgh and Indycandyappleless aren't going to add up to anythng more than a quiet f*rt in a high wind.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: How many experts expected this?:
    [QUOTE]You are absolutely correct and let me tell you that many of them will nit pick every bad play the Pates have on offense,defense and special teams just to soothe their well deserved bruised ego and looking bad,some real bad,based on their obviously egregeously incorrect assessmants.Forget them,most will never change.
    Posted by kebbe[/QUOTE]

I thought the Patriots D in the first half was horrible, is that me trying to soothe my bruised ego?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many experts expected this? : I thought the Patriots D in the first have was horrible, is that me trying to soothe my bruised ego?
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

No, Rocky, it wasn't you trying to soothe your bruised ego.

We need to get down with the fact that the defense is going to give up the field, if we haven't already. In the first half, the Lions took what was there and didn't turn the ball over, and you saw what happened.

In the second half, the Pats created turnovers (or the Lions got lazy -- depending upon how you want to look at it.)

The defense isn't going to shut teams down. It's not. No way. No how. If the Pats don't get turnovers, they have to score every time. I can't imagine how people can watch this team more than two or three times and not see that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many experts expected this? : No, Rocky, it wasn't you trying to soothe your bruised ego. We need to get down with the fact that the defense is going to give up the field, if we haven't already. In the first half, the Lions took what was there and didn't turn the ball over, and you saw what happened. In the second half, the Pats created turnovers (or the Lions got lazy -- depending upon how you want to look at it.) The defense isn't going to shut teams down. It's not. No way. No how. If the Pats don't get turnovers, they have to score every time. I can't imagine how people can watch this team more than two or three times and not see that.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

My ego feels better...Thanks! LOL

I think Mike Reiss says it best after the game...

Patriots defense does enough. If there is an Achilles heel of this Patriots team, it is the defense and its ability to get off the field on third down. The Patriots entered this game ranked 32nd in the NFL in that category and the struggles showed up in the first half of the game. Turnovers have helped the defense overcome those struggles, and that was the case again today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

And the thing about it is, is that the Pats are young and are only gonna get more
      experience and thus be better down the road. But with BB calling the shots, the
      Pats season thus far isn't totally a shock.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many experts expected this? : No, Rocky, it wasn't you trying to soothe your bruised ego. We need to get down with the fact that the defense is going to give up the field, if we haven't already. In the first half, the Lions took what was there and didn't turn the ball over, and you saw what happened. In the second half, the Pats created turnovers (or the Lions got lazy -- depending upon how you want to look at it.) The defense isn't going to shut teams down. It's not. No way. No how. If the Pats don't get turnovers, they have to score every time. I can't imagine how people can watch this team more than two or three times and not see that.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I expected them to get going in the the direction BB wanted the team to go in for the next 4 or 5 seasons and not to suuck. I'd say I'm more than satisfied. Any one of the AFC teams that make the playoffs this year could beat any one of the other teams on any given day. Should be an interesting January.

As for the 'experts' a lot of them had the Cowboys to play the 1st home game SB. You guys watching that game?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]You are absolutely correct and let me tell you that many of them will nit pick every bad play the Pates have on offense,defense and special teams just to soothe their well deserved bruised ego and looking bad,some real bad,based on their obviously egregeously incorrect assessmants.Forget them,most will never change.
    Posted by kebbe[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you're describing TexPat's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]...We need to get down with the fact that the defense is going to give up the field, if we haven't already. In the first half, the Lions took what was there and didn't turn the ball over, and you saw what happened...Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

here's the thing p-, the pats have shown that they can shut an opponent down for a quarter or two. i thought i saw some flashes of a really good defense on the field every game. what that tells me is that the defense is very capable. they just have to find a way to bring that on for 60 mins.

i think that d is progressing as well as one can be expected. and i think they will progress well enough to go really deep in the playoffs.

before the season started, i said that with the strength of their scehdule, it will be tough to make the playoffs. but if they make it, this team will be very dangerous. with a 9-2 after seeing sd, nyj, pitt, bal, ind and even mia, i don't think the IF in that statement can be dropped now.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to How many experts expected this?:
    [QUOTE]9-2Posted by dapats1281[/QUOTE]

i expected them to be 10-1 right now, but will take 9-2. i cann't see them losing another game unless they play the second string agianst buffalo and miami to rest starters. oh wait a minute that's what the dolts do,

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Rocky:Sorry for the delay in answering your question but it is thanksgiving and I just wanted to spend 3-4 hours with the family after watching today's game.You asked if I thought you were soothing a bruise ego.Perhaps the best way to answer that is by taking a look at what you wrote,and this a brief paraphrase(if you think I misconstrued your staement I apologize in advance).basically what you said,in so many words,was that the Pats defense was poor and porous in the first half.That was a fair statement given the yards Detroit gained and the 17 points they put on the board.The Lions came out with great heart and energy,no big surprise given this game,has usually been their signature game each season and have often played beyond what would generally be expected of them.Plus,this edition of the Lions has been  competative in more games this year than in many past seasons and have not showed an inclination to quit when things went wrong.However,you then followed that up by basically saying that the reason that Pats surrendered fewer yards and just 7 points in the second half was not due to anything the Pats did better or adjusted to,but that the Lions offense was was awful and made a too many mistakes.The N.E.defense did make adjustments at halftime and were considerably  more aggresive in the second half.Also,you might have to concede that at least some of their mistakes were caused the Patriots young defense which,goodness knows,isn't among the elite units in the league right now but they have obviously worked hard to make progress in most every area in just about every game and should be incrementally better come playoff time.Last season many bemoaned the fact that the Pats did not have play-makers on defense.This year,even in some games when they struggled mightily,thay have shown that they do have a number of guys who have shown they could well be big time play-makers in this league.It seems that many folks have no qualms about criticizing the defense when they are giving up too many yards and points,and I have no problem with that,but are reluctant give them credit when they tighten up and make big plays,and with this I do have a problem as I see this as a negative bias.This bias might simply be that they are the fans of other teams.It could also be that their anaysis and their predictions about this years edition of the Patriots was just wrong(and not many thought the Pats would be 9-2 at this point with wins over the likes of the Steelers.Colts Dolphins and Chargers who are statistical wonders but not so hot in the win-loss column)and not many like to feel bad about themselves and look bad in the eyes of others and try to defend their initial opinions and projections.I have no idea which of these groups you personally may fall into or if you truly believe you are being objective.If the latter is case,you may want to take a look at some of your statements.Hope you and all had a happy Thanksgiving,I know I did with the Pats win today and more importantly having a loving family. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

i cann't see them losing another game unless they play the second string agianst buffalo and miami to rest starters.

Still got the Jests, GB and Chicago. those teams arn't gimmies.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I would say Chicago is really close to a gimmie. 

Jets and GB are going to be playoff type games

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVirginia. Show PatsFanVirginia's posts

[QUOTE]I would say Chicago is really close to a gimmie.  Jets and GB are going to be playoff type games
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

I am just afreaid that we just don't match up well with their WR's and their TE on defense. The Jets gave up only 163 yds tonight of offense. The Lions pass rush got to Brady a few times, and you know Fat rex is going to be dialing up the pressure. 

Anyone who thinks this Monday night is a gimme, is fooling themselves.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many experts expected this? : I am just afreaid that we just don't match up well with their WR's and their TE on defense. The Jets gave up only 163 yds tonight of offense. The Lions pass rush got to Brady a few times, and you know Fat rex is going to be dialing up the pressure.  Anyone who thinks this Monday night is a gimme, is fooling themselves.  
    Posted by PatsFanVirginia[/QUOTE]

In their first meeting the Pats handled the Green New Jersey pressure and moved pretty freely up and down the field in the first half. Only when the Jests backed out and started dropping into max coverage did the Pats offense start to struggle.

It's anybody's guess what might happen next Monday night.

My guess is that Green New Jersey is going down hard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I had them at 12-4 with an improving defense, week to week.

Honestly, what I see as most important this season is the overall 'idea' Bill had after last season's devastating loss to Baltimore. Some vets had really just quit on that game half way through. It had to have been a real moment for reflection for Bill. 

I think what you see now was BB's plan. After last season's "too many Hessians" he took control. He re-upped Brady. He took control over the defense, and left room for Brady to take control over the offense and be the sort of leader on/off the field. I think he realized that this team was going to sink or swim on his and Tom's leadership, so he was better off just going young and letting the two pieces that started this thing take it over again.

As far as the "nuts and bolts" go, I think the defense is improving, but in ways that aren't what we expect. The loss of Bodden is throwing a monkey wrench in this because there is essentially a black hole at left CB. From what I can tell, BB is trying to make a defense that forces underneath stuff, focuses on discipline, and then tries to pressure some mistakes into zone.

The big monkey wrench is that opposing QBs are getting over the top of Arrington/Butler pretty much at will, and as it has been that way all season, and it is 11 games deep, I don't see it changing. I wish Butler hadn't regressed because what he gave NE even last season was simply light years ahead of what he has given them this season.

The offense is crazy. I expected them to score a bunch, but not this way. Tom is really putting on a clinic, even without Moss. If we said  coming in that NE would jettison Moss after a handful of disappointing games, Mankins would hold out to week 12, Kazcur would go down, Maroney and Faulk would be gone, Welker would be at best 75% of what he was, and NE would still be the #1 scoring team in the NFL by week 12, it would have sounded crazy. But NE is getting good contributions from its rookies, and Tom is simply having a season for the ages.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I didn't expect this and I am happy to see the progress.

The Jets game will be tough as the defensive pressure amy get to Brady. But with all the weapons Brady now has (Branch, Welker seems healthier, the TE's are improving each week and the Law Firm and Woody are doing much better job a running and cathcing the ball) versus the first meeting.

The difference may be Fred Taylor if he comes back from injury as he can change thigns up a bit with running, cathcing and blocking. Typically if the Law firm or Woddy are in you knwo they can only run a certain few plays....

The Pats defense will be tested again and this time the Jests have Holmes. The Pats will need to do to Sancheez what they did to Manning - confuse him and disguise the coverage to get turnovers.

The one person that may hurt the Pats the most is Ladoucheman Thomas....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I did not expect the Pats to be 9-2 at this this point; thought 7-4 more likely. A most pleasant surprise.

Jets:  will be a very tough, physical game.  Winner most likely AFC East champ, loser most likely a wild card.

GB:  Perhaps the toughest of the 3.

Chi:  Rattling Cutler will be the key.  Get him nervous and the game will be a Pats win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkulacz. Show mkulacz's posts

Did not expect this good of a season. Not all at all.

For the past 5 games, Tom Brady is totally bringing it. We will never know what the root of his frustrations were, but his leadership just wasnt showing earlier this season (nor in the loss to the Ravens last season).

The defense is improving, but lets face it the Pats D is not a dominating defense. Quick, resourceful, and generally not too many mistakes. This defense depends on playing as a unit. The sum is greater than the parts.

What it all comes down to is leadership. zbellino called it - the two strong leaders of Brady and BB is what is driving the Pats now. If everyone else just does their job, the Pats are unstopable. I have seen this in corporate America as well in the tech industry.

NASA in the 70s had a time where they only wanted to hire the best and brightest. Ultimately too many egos collided, and quality actually went downhill. The Apollo disaster was the result. We commonly refer to this as "Apollo Syndrome". Its best to have a strong team, with a couple of great passionate leaders, and have the team just do their job. Some of the best tech companies follow that model. Microsoft has been going out of their way for years to get the best engineers, and their products have displayed little innovation as a result.

The Pats dump Moss, Adalius, Seymour. Replaced with Branch, a couple of solid rookies, sign on Woodhead, etc etc.. and now they are winning more. Very few players out there of the "Troy Brown" mentality, where they just do their job, and dont expect a crown just because they did their job.

My mistake this season - I really really thought Wilfork was being overpaid, and would start showing a declining effort. Wilfork is having a really good season, probably his best yet. I owe you an apology, big guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I'm not trying to be over confident, but you don't beat BB twice in one season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not trying to be over confident, but you don't beat BB twice in one season.
    Posted by southnpatsfan[/QUOTE]

2009 game #1 - Jets 16  Pats 9  Jets and their fans were squawking all season long

2009 game #2 - Pats 31   Jets 14   Jets and their fans.. golden silence!!!

Hypothesis proven!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

Both the jets and us are better teams than the first game in new york.  If the Pats play like they are capable of, we should win the game.  Our defense is better now, and their offense is better.  Obviously, our biggest weakness on defense is no real pass rush.     BB will obviously have some surprises as he did in the Indy game.  I believe our offense needs to have some long sustained drives and scores TD's.  If our offense plays to their potential, the defense just needs to play good and we will win this game easily.  Go Pats.  When this defense gets a pass rush we will be a top ten defense. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]      Both the jets and us are better teams than the first game in new york.  REALLY, about the Jets?... given who they have beaten and how?

... and their offense is better.  The ONE good team they faced in their last 5 games, Green Bay, SHUT THEM OUT  at home..  really, their offense is better?