How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us?????????

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us?????????:
    I hated to see Matt give up this play, because I knew all the haters would be asking for his head. Take that ONE play away, and this topic would never see the light of day! I can't wait to see a replay of this game on NFL Network to watch Matt's ENTIRE performance. I'm really eager to hear people's thoughts on how an O-lineman can fairly be judged on his performance, specifically in the area of pass protection. How many times can he be "beaten" and still be considered successful? If Matt keeps his opponents off Brady for twenty dropbacks, and then gives up a sack, has he had a good game? Or does he need to be perfect, against NFL-quality players, to be considered good? Any thoughts?
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan

It's not just this game.  He had a bad game against Buffalo (Schobel).  He had a bad game against the Jets.  Over the past two years he has been exposed by many speed pass rushers dating back to the Superbowl.  You ask if one play can define his day.  The answer is yes.  That one play nearly cost us this game.  That one play nearly cost us the Buffalo game.  Just one little play can define the season (Brady's hit last year).  Brady's blind side is too important to have this kind of protection. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skillby21. Show Skillby21's posts

In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us?????????:
    It's time to either move Light inside, or bench him all together.  I've been saying this for over two years now.  He nearly cost us the Bills game, and did the same today versus the Ravens.  It's just a matter of time before he gets Brady hurt!  He simply can't handle the speed rushers anymore.
    Posted by DStroh1

I survived Rod Rust, Hugh Millen, Tommy Hodsen, Dick Macpherson, Eugene Chung, Hart Lee Dykes, Victor Kiam and coutless other debacles. I think I'll be able to deal with a declining Matt Light very easily. When a thread is started about the declining play of a LT, you know we have it pretty good here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : I survived Rod Rust, Hugh Millen, Tommy Hodsen, Dick Macpherson, Eugene Chung, Hart Lee Dykes, Victor Kiam and coutless other debacles. I think I'll be able to deal with a declining Matt Light very easily. When a thread is started about the declining play of a LT, you know we have it pretty good here.
    Posted by Skillby21

I hope we have a healthy Brady so we can win some more Superbowls.  I don't want to relive the years of being the doormats of the NFL either!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

It's time to either move Light inside, or bench him all together.  I've been saying this for over two years now.  He nearly cost us the Bills game, and did the same today versus the Ravens.  It's just a matter of time before he gets Brady hurt!  He simply can't handle the speed rushers anymore.
    Posted by DStroh1

So how many times was he beat today? I'm glad your not the coach. Matt is doing fine. Sure he gets beat, but it is very few times in a game, relax and have a beer.

Go Pats!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Light, Maroney and galloway, pure garbage. Dead weight, anyone??? 
    Posted by aces1

I'm not going to post a comment on these players, but on the nature of your comment. These players have all been dedicated to athletics and I assume football most of thier lives, and whether they are at the top of thier game or not, the do not need to be referred to as "pure garbage" or "dead weight"
    anymore than you would like your friends, neighbors or relatives to refer to you in such terms.

Grow up and get a life.

Hetchinspete.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from calchu7. Show calchu7's posts

I agree I think Matt Light is overrated.  I'll admit once in a while he has a good game, but most of the time when you see you pressure on Brady, usually Matt Light got beat.

I've always thought that one of the weaknesses is the Pats O-Line.  People just keep saying Brady doesn't get sacked much, but he's under a lot more pressure than many of the other QBs.  Imagine Brady with the Peyton Mannings' O-Line?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dont-hate. Show dont-hate's posts

Light has slowed a little for sure. I think the decline started mid season in 07 and was really evident in the SB.

That said.

Brady himself said that cadence and picking up defensive formations give the Oline the chance to play better. It starts with seeing the blitz and who the free man is as the defense is adjusting coverage. It also requires changes in cadence and snap timing to throw them off. Brady didnt have this down in the 1st 2 weeks. He is getting better as he settles back in and Light is playing a bit better which is what it takes to beat D-lines like what we saw last night..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkulacz. Show mkulacz's posts

Light may not be the best LT in the league, but he is ok. I would say better than average, and at the professional level that is pretty darn good. The key is balance. If you want to spent 5-6 mil more a year on a LT, then somebody else needs to go. Who would that be? Matt Light is good value for what he earns. Sometimes he will get beat. Its all about balance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from muddslinger. Show muddslinger's posts

Posted by DStroh1

We have been saying how much Light blows longer than thtwo years.
     "holding....number 72" is a given when flag is thrown in backfield.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?

In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?:
    Posted by DStroh1

Way less than he helps win.  Every LT lets a few slip.  Light is much better than avg. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?:
    Posted by DStroh1

Well I couldn't agree more and I've been saying it since 2006 that I don't like Matt Lightweight. To bad they didn't move up in the draft for the guy listed below Andre Smith. There was rumors during the draft that they were trying to do just that. Lots of responses both for Light and against him.He's how you'll know who's right this year. If you see Light moved or replaced this year by Belichick by Vollmer or by a trade will determine who is right! After the play fumble for a TD it looked like Brady was jawing with Light on the side line, also Light looks a little small to be a LT, must be because of his mobility and speed to handle speed rushers (lol). Couldn't imagine Bruce Armstrong being beaten this way. Please open your eyes Matt Light has stunk the house out this year. And this guy was selected for the all time Pats team?
    www.bengals.com/team/roster/Andre-Smith/5796e85d-6992-4b91-9630-fde615747967

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I realize I'm new to this forum, but I just don't understand tearing down a player of this caliber. Maybe it is something I'll have to get used to. Perhaps I'm too much of a "fan" and not a "critic". After all, if we agreed on everything, this would be a very boring forum.

I just don't see the validity of overreacting to a player's performance. Saying that Matt stinks, or is a major factor in costing us games, is ridiculous. Players drop passes, miss blocks, miss tackles, commit penalties, hit the wrong hole, run the wrong route, and otherwise make mistakes all the time. This is a team game that takes place over sixty minutes. So people say that Matt Light nearly cost us this game with that one play? I guess no one else on the team did, or didn't,  do something that could have cost us the game!

As far as I can tell, there is only one player on this team that has been a complete failure, so far, and that is Galloway. Maroney and Watson have not lived up to their draft status, but that makes them disappointments.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?:
    In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots? : Well I couldn't agree more and I've been saying it since 2006 that I don't like Matt Lightweight. To bad they didn't move up in the draft for the guy listed below Andre Smith. There was rumors during the draft that they were trying to do just that.   www.bengals.com/team/roster/Andre-Smith/5796e85d-6992-4b91-9630-fde615747967
    Posted by donspartucus

Scouts Inc has Matt Light listed as the #12 best LOT in the league.  That's about right. Maybe they can get better, but he's not a bum by any stretch of the imagination - despite what the typical yahoo know-nothings shout on this board.

But trading up for Andre Smith???  Come on, buddy.  To move up all the way to 6, the Pats would have had to probably throw in next year's #1 plus the 2009 #1.  They would have had to pay Andre Smith what Cinci is paying him: up to 6 yrs and $42m with $21m guaranteed.

Andre Smith then broke his foot and is out until week 8.  Nice.  Check out this fat-azz trying to run a 40.   
    http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2009/03/12/andre-smiths-second-run-was-better/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

And we know that the Suggs hit was Light's responsibility how?  And Light did such a horrible job on Abraham last week, didn't he? 

Against what Belichick calls the best defense in the leage over the past decade I thought the O-Line did an outstanding job and Light was part of that effort.

Is Light the best left tackle in the league?  Of course not.  Is he a slug?  Of course not.  Opposing D Linemen thought highly enough of him to vote him to the pro bowl last year. 

I like Light right where he is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : Ask Christian Fauria about Abraham. He was talking on 98.5 about how soft he is. Abraham is the Matt Light of DE's - 3 time pro bowler for god knows why. As for Prairie Mike's waiver wire comment - no one is saying that. But how is starting Seabass any different than starting Light in 01? Really, how is it any different? Light has been the weak link on the O-line this year. You draft a monster in the second round. Give him a shot before Light gives up another seven. I don't know about you all, but I'm tired of trying to figure out how many points the Pats have given up on D and having to subtract the Light mistakes from the equation. But hey, maybe we should bring Bruschi back to play ILB cause we're all about loyalty to 2004 here, right?
    Posted by Caesar1177

Why don't you check Abraham's stats and ask the people who elected him to 3 pro bowls? Oh wait, you're smarter than all of them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : I have forgotten more about football than you'll ever learn!  PLEASE check your stats before you post a nonfactual reply.  I would hardly say Light "handled" Suggs today.  I suppose you think he also owns Schobel, Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, Osi O.,..........  I guess in your book it's ok to just give up one sack resulting in a strip fumble/TD every other week.  I guess we're good next week based on your data.  One of these types of plays a year is acceptable, maybe.  Two, in four weeks, inexcusable.  If (and hopefully not when) he gives up a season ending smack down on Brady, maybe you'll change your mind.......
    Posted by DStroh1

You must be a kid if you don't know who Terrell Suggs is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : You must be a kid if you don't know who Terrell Suggs is.
    Posted by patpscyho

Who said I didn't know who Terrell Suggs is?  Put down the tequila and just walk away..........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?:
    In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots? : Well I couldn't agree more and I've been saying it since 2006 that I don't like Matt Lightweight. To bad they didn't move up in the draft for the guy listed below Andre Smith. There was rumors during the draft that they were trying to do just that.   Lots of responses both for Light and against him.He's how you'll know who's right this year. If you see Light moved or replaced this year by Belichick by Vollmer or by a trade will determine who is right! After the play fumble for a TD it looked like Brady was jawing with Light on the side line, also Light looks a little small to be a LT, must be because of his mobility and speed to handle speed rushers (lol). Couldn't imagine Bruce Armstrong being beaten this way. Please open your eyes Matt Light has stunk the house out this year. And this guy was selected for the all time Pats team? www.bengals.com/team/roster/Andre-Smith/5796e85d-6992-4b91-9630-fde615747967
    Posted by donspartucus

Don it's nice to see I'm not the only one who has noticed the glarring hole on the offense!  I promise you some of these other guys will stop drinking the Koolaid and stop wearing the rose colored glasses when Light actually does cost us the game OR gets Brady knocked out for the year!  We all love the Pats (I think) on this board, but facts are facts.  Just like Varitek, Lights time with the Pats is very appreciated.  However, it's time to either move inside and let the more athletic and quick footed kids coming out of college take over at LT, or move onto another team that doesn't expect much from their O line.  Another poster stated he is a free agent at the end of the year.  I hope that's correct, it's time to make a move (out).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : Who said I didn't know who Terrell Suggs is?  Put down the tequila and just walk away..........
    Posted by DStroh1

I do. I am calling you out. Please prove you know what kind of player he is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

Tell it, blahx. It's not a tough position. It's the toughest position.   It's the quarterback's blindside and it's where the defense attacks and the most potent attack weapon any defense has is usually going to attack on that side. The reason it is so easy to find examples of Light missing assignments or getting beat is because he is under heavy fire ALL THE TIME . I have high hopes for Sebastian Vollmer. But y'all have lost your minds if you think the Pats have a better option than Matt Light right now.
    Posted by prairiemike

Yeah, It's a tough position to play and requires a tough and big player (6'7" or 6'8") and thats my problem with Belichick and Kraft the O-Line is the weak link on this team it cost them in the AFC championship game of 2007, Brady was hurt and the Super Bowl 42 game, couldn't protect Brady (Light was beet red and beat up all game, watch highlights) and 1st game 2008 Brady out for year and this year 2009 Brady taking to many hits. Those are the facts as I see them, agree or disagree! Time will tell, Light will be replaced this year, watch and see!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : Glad to see I'm not the only one that has noticed Light has slipped Angel!  These guys all want to defend Light, but facts are facts.  Name another tackle in the league right now that has given up two sacks that directly resulted in a touchdown.  You can't.  And I didn't say the Pats lost as another poster replied.  The question was how long before his mistakes DO cost us a game.  HAD we lost today, there would have been ALOT more ***itching about Matt Light!  We've heard Lights name numerous times already this year, and we've only played four games!
    Posted by DStroh1

And the question remain's will it cost us the AFC championship game or the Super Bowl?? That's the problem they haven't made enough upgrades to their line the last few years. WHY NOT!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : I do. I am calling you out. Please prove you know what kind of player he is.
    Posted by patpscyho

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  If you're asking whether or not Suggs is a good player or not, the answer is he is solid.  I saw him play back in 2001 ifor Arizona State when they played at USC.  He was credited with 2 sacks and 6 tackles, but was a force the entire game.  He's only 26 and has 55.5 sacks to his credit with 389 combined tackles (assisted and solo).  He's listed at 6'3 and weighs 260.  He was drafted 10th overall in the 2003 NFL draft and has played his entire career with the Ravens.  He earned defensive rookie of the year after recodring 12 sacks in his first year.  He had the franchise tag put on him twice (08 and 09), but recently signed a six year $63 million contract.  He has appeared in 3 pro bowls. 
      Any more info you want to call me out on???????????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

i tried to post this question as a topic for discussion but it dissapeared (i think). i hope someone has an answer.

i understand that  Light  is a good player, i understand that left tackles are hard to find, i understand that some of those guys he faces are monsters and he is bound to get beaten some times.

BUT:

when Suggs got past him, Light fell to the ground and spent a full second (that means at least 5-6 feet) on his knees watching  Brady get sacked. He only got up after he realized Brady had been stripped. He should have been the first one to the ball.

isn't that a HUGE (and stupid) mistake??

he protects the blind side, he will get beaten at times and that's unavoidable. but i don't understand how can anyone justify that he stood there watching the play develop knowing well that sacks from the blind side are often sack + strip.

am i missing something here?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from revereman. Show revereman's posts

I WROTE BEFORE THE GAME THAT LIGHT WOULD NOT HAVE A GOOD GAME. WHY ARE YOU GUYS DEFENDING HIM? iT ISN'T JUST THE SACKS THAT LIGHT GIVES UP. LOOK AT HOW MANY TIMES TOM IS CHASED OUT OF THE POCKET BECAUSE LIGHT CANNOT BLOCK HIS MAN. THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER PLAYER ON THAT TEAM. AND, MORONEY! LET SAMMY AND FRED CARRY THE BALL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

i tried to post this question as a topic for discussion but it dissapeared (i think). i hope someone has an answer. i understand that  Light  is a good player, i understand that left tackles are hard to find, i understand that some of those guys he faces are monsters and he is bound to get beaten some times. BUT: when Suggs got past him, Light fell to the ground and spent a full second (that means at least 5-6 feet) on his knees watching  Brady get sacked . He only got up after he realized Brady had been stripped. He should have been the first one to the ball. isn't that a HUGE (and stupid) mistake?? he protects the blind side, he will get beaten at times and that's unavoidable. but i don't understand how can anyone justify that he stood there watching the play develop knowing well that sacks from the blind side are often sack + strip. am i missing something here?
    Posted by mnp3a

You're not missing anything, your spot on.  His mistakes are being covered up by wins.  If they start losing (which I hope they don't) he will stand out like a sore thumb!

Sections
Shortcuts