How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us?????????

In 2001, they started a rookie 2nd round pick at LT. Is it maybe time to repeat history?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us?????????:
    It's time to either move Light inside, or bench him all together.  I've been saying this for over two years now.  He nearly cost us the Bills game, and did the same today versus the Ravens.  It's just a matter of time before he gets Brady hurt!  He simply can't handle the speed rushers anymore.
    Posted by DStroh1

You need to take it easy, and learn some football.

He has handled two pro bowl caliber DE's in a row, Abraham last week and he shut him down, and today he handled Suggs and gave up only one sack and fumble. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

From the first step, that was an all-pro player he## bent on making an all-pro play...and he did. Those all-pros have a nasty habit of making plays like that once in a while.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us?????????:
    In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : That's not what I'm saying. Light is great against average DE's. Against good DEs he's average. Against great DE's, he's poor. Now, good LT's are at least average against good DE's. It tells me that Light is not a top end player at what, I quote "the most important position" on the field. That is not what we need. And yes, other QB's get sacked. But Light has been responsible for 14 points in four games. Am I supposed to be cool with that?
    Posted by Caesar1177

Abraham is a frickin' three time pro-bowler and Light shut him down last week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I have no doubt the waiver wire (and your local barroom) is full of guys who are far superior to Matt Light.

Clearly it is my man crush that is getting in the way of the logical conclusion that NFL-calibre starting left tackles are just sitting around waiting to be scooped up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : You need to take it easy, and learn some football. He has handled two pro bowl caliber DE's in a row, Abraham last week and he shut him down, and today he handled Suggs and gave up only one sack and fumble. 
    Posted by patpscyho

I have forgotten more about football than you'll ever learn!  PLEASE check your stats before you post a nonfactual reply.  I would hardly say Light "handled" Suggs today.  I suppose you think he also owns Schobel, Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, Osi O.,..........  I guess in your book it's ok to just give up one sack resulting in a strip fumble/TD every other week.  I guess we're good next week based on your data.  One of these types of plays a year is acceptable, maybe.  Two, in four weeks, inexcusable.  If (and hopefully not when) he gives up a season ending smack down on Brady, maybe you'll change your mind.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : Abraham is a frickin' three time pro-bowler and Light shut him down last week.
    Posted by patpscyho

Ask Christian Fauria about Abraham. He was talking on 98.5 about how soft he is. Abraham is the Matt Light of DE's - 3 time pro bowler for god knows why.

As for Prairie Mike's waiver wire comment - no one is saying that. But how is starting Seabass any different than starting Light in 01? Really, how is it any different? Light has been the weak link on the O-line this year. You draft a monster in the second round. Give him a shot before Light gives up another seven. I don't know about you all, but I'm tired of trying to figure out how many points the Pats have given up on D and having to subtract the Light mistakes from the equation.

But hey, maybe we should bring Bruschi back to play ILB cause we're all about loyalty to 2004 here, right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

You just knew after this game, some yahoo, beer guzzling Pats fan would come gunning for Matt Light.  Thank's Dr. Strohs for taking up that mantle.

Terrell Shruggs is a 3 time Pro Bowler with 57 sacks and 16 forced fumbles.  He had 1 sack and O QB hits vs the Pats Sunday.  He beat Light cleanly. He's done it to many other LTs in the past and will continue to do so to many more in the future.  

If your waiting for the Pats to find that LT that will keep Brady clean all season, you better be patient because that guy does not exist. All LTs get beat.  All of them.  DLs and LBs in the NFL are just too strong, fast and aggressive to shut them out every time.

Scouts Inc has Light ranked 19th of all OTs in the NFL.  Grade: 75
    Comment: Light is the Patriots' best player along the offensive front. He has good athleticism and good flexibility. He comes off the ball with good quickness, balance and control. He does a good job of staying on his feet. Light understands positioning and plays with good leverage and hand placement. He has good speed on move and is active with his hands. He shows good awareness with stunt recognition.

Sounds about right. Not a top 10 OT but certainly not the downfall of the team.  He was recorded of giving up 8 sacks last year (Pats gave up 48 as a team).  Maybe the Pats can come up with a top 10 LT next year and switch Light to RT, but there's no chance BB benches Matt Light.  

BTW, Brady needs to have better pocket presence in those situations. BB told the team to always account for Sruggs this Sunday.  Not just the OL but everyone on offense, especially Brady.  He's got to feel the presure and protect the ball in those circumstances.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

LT is a hard position, but Matt Light is definately mediocre at that position.  That said, I don't think that Vollmer was drafted in order to play LT.  I think Belichick envisions him more as a RT that flashes the ability to play LT on some plays (hence the term swing tackle, which Belichick has discussed at length during interviews).

In my opinion, I feel that Neal will become a cap casualty at seasons' end due to his cap figure going up big time, which combined with his level of play, most likely will make him expendable.  But back to Matt Light.  I read where one of the posters tried to say that this was the first game (or one of the only games) in which Light was exposed and that he played decent in all the others.  That's B.S.  Matt Light had one good game out of four (against the Falcons).

Do you want to know why that was?  It was because Abraham was trying to overpower Light th whole game.  There's a saying in boxing "style makes fight" meaning that anyone can be beat based upon a particular fighting stlye.  In Light's case, Abraham played right into his hands by playing a style that emphasized brute strength over speed and agility.  As I said many times before, speed and agility is like kryptonite to Matt Light!!!  He cannot handle DE/LB's once they use some sort of agile move against him.  He's just not built for that, plain and simple. 

And contrary to what some people on this board may believe, he gets exposed regularly regardless whether it's in games that we win or lose.  The fact that we win games doesn't excuse his poor level of play.  I know that in sports there's a saying that get frequently thrown around about how winning cures all, but not in this case.  Maybe in '07 when we were blowing teams out, which just masked the problems with this team at that time.  Point blank, Light is a free agent after next season.  Let's wait and see if he is still the starting LT for the start of the '11 season.  I can pretty much guarantee that he will not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

I have no doubt the waiver wire (and your local barroom) is full of guys who are far superior to Matt Light. Clearly it is my man crush that is getting in the way of the logical conclusion that NFL-calibre starting left tackles are just sitting around waiting to be scooped up.
    Posted by prairiemike

You may be on to something Mike!  With unemployment near 10%, surely someone out there at a local bar, or playing in a fantasy football league, is ready to be scooped up and ready to play left tackle for the Pats!  They can't do much worse that's for sure.  You're probably a big Varitek fan too that thinks he is the only guy on the planet that can call a game for the Sox.  Oh wait, they went out and traded for an all star catcher mid season that has replaced Tek.  That could never happen though.  Your right!  Matt Light is the ONLY blindside lineman that can play for the Pats.  We just have to live with the sacks, forced fumbles, td's, and possible season ending injuries to our QB.  Just part of the game, right?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

Fans that panic like this tick me off so much.  Brady had an incompletion it's time to bench him and see what Hoyer can do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : You may be on to something Mike!  With unemployment near 10%, surely someone out there at a local bar, or playing in a fantasy football league, is ready to be scooped up and ready to play left tackle for the Pats!  They can't do much worse that's for sure.  You're probably a big Varitek fan too that thinks he is the only guy on the planet that can call a game for the Sox.  Oh wait, they went out and traded for an all star catcher mid season that has replaced Tek.  That could never happen though.  Your right!  Matt Light is the ONLY blindside lineman that can play for the Pats.  We just have to live with the sacks, forced fumbles, td's, and possible season ending injuries to our QB.  Just part of the game, right?!
    Posted by DStroh1

Is Todd Lyght available?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

LT is a hard position, but Matt Light is definately mediocre at that position.  That said, I don't think that Vollmer was drafted in order to play LT.  I think Belichick envisions him more as a RT that flashes the ability to play LT on some plays (hence the term swing tackle, which Belichick has discussed at length during interviews). In my opinion, I feel that Neal will become a cap casualty at seasons' end due to his cap figure going up big time, which combined with his level of play, most likely will make him expendable.  But back to Matt Light.  I read where one of the posters tried to say that this was the first game (or one of the only games) in which Light was exposed and that he played decent in all the others.  That's B.S.  Matt Light had one good game out of four (against the Falcons). Do you want to know why that was?  It was because Abraham was trying to overpower Light th whole game.  There's a saying in boxing "style makes fight" meaning that anyone can be beat based upon a particular fighting stlye.  In Light's case, Abraham played right into his hands by playing a style that emphasized brute strength over speed and agility.  As I said many times before, speed and agility is like kryptonite to Matt Light!!!  He cannot handle DE/LB's once they use some sort of agile move against him.  He's just not built for that, plain and simple.  And contrary to what some people on this board may believe, he gets exposed regularly regardless whether it's in games that we win or lose.  The fact that we win games doesn't excuse his poor level of play.  I know that in sports there's a saying that get frequently thrown around about how winning cures all, but not in this case.  Maybe in '07 when we were blowing teams out, which just masked the problems with this team at that time.  Point blank, Light is a free agent after next season.  Let's wait and see if he is still the starting LT for the start of the '11 season.  I can pretty much guarantee that he will not.
    Posted by angel3781

These guys are wanting another great season like 07' where we go to the Superbowl and our O line gets exposed.  I promise you had the Pats lost today this board would be lit up right now regarding this very issue.  It seems to be acceptable to some of these yahoos because the Pats are winning.  Once they lose a game and Light's game stands out (which I hope won't happen), the bandwagon will be full.  It will be "get Light out of there, he is killing us"!  Mark my words!   I hope you're right, let's hope this is Light's last year manning Brady's blind side.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

You just knew after this game, some yahoo, beer guzzling Pats fan would come gunning for Matt Light.  Thank's Dr. Strohs for taking up that mantle. Terrell Shruggs is a 3 time Pro Bowler with 57 sacks and 16 forced fumbles.  He had 1 sack and O QB hits vs the Pats Sunday.  He beat Light cleanly. He's done it to many other LTs in the past and will continue to do so to many more in the future.   If your waiting for the Pats to find that LT that will keep Brady clean all season, you better be patient because that guy does not exist. All LTs get beat.  All of them.  DLs and LBs in the NFL are just too strong, fast and aggressive to shut them out every time. Scouts Inc has Light ranked 19th of all OTs in the NFL.  Grade: 75 Comment : Light is the Patriots' best player along the offensive front. He has good athleticism and good flexibility. He comes off the ball with good quickness, balance and control. He does a good job of staying on his feet. Light understands positioning and plays with good leverage and hand placement. He has good speed on move and is active with his hands. He shows good awareness with stunt recognition. Sounds about right. Not a top 10 OT but certainly not the downfall of the team.  He was recorded of giving up 8 sacks last year (Pats gave up 48 as a team).  Maybe the Pats can come up with a top 10 LT next year and switch Light to RT, but there's no chance BB benches Matt Light.   BTW, Brady needs to have better pocket presence in those situations. BB told the team to always account for Sruggs this Sunday.  Not just the OL but everyone on offense, especially Brady.  He's got to feel the presure and protect the ball in those circumstances.  
    Posted by bobomul

You're right, Brady needs to grow another sense and know when he is about to get killed on his BLIND SIDE.  He needs to learn to get rid of the ball in 1 second flat so that his O line won't get exposed.  Heaven forbid Light actually blocks and gives Brady time to go deep.  We'll just live with the short pass only.  Sound good?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's true enough that Suggs' play turned what was looking like a "laugher" into a nail-biter, but I am far more concerned about an offensive coordinator (or whatever you want to call O'Brien) who -- with eight minutes left and the game there for the taking at the opponent's 12 -- sends in a pass play on second and four and . . .  when that fails . . .  calls for a rollout which limits Brady to one reciever.

Look, if you think your cousin or his friend or some drunk three stools down can do a better job than Light, give Belichick a call and let him know. When I talk to him, it's going to be about the play calling.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : You're right, Brady needs to grow another sense and know when he is about to get killed on his BLIND SIDE.  He needs to learn to get rid of the ball in 1 second flat so that his O line won't get exposed.  Heaven forbid Light actually blocks and gives Brady time to go deep.  We'll just live with the short pass only.  Sound good?
    Posted by DStroh1

Same people flipped when we traded Vrabel and Seymour.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

This is an interesting situation, MatT Light is an above average LT. He has consistantly handled most pass rushers year in and year out. This year and last he did show some vulnerability to elite speed rushers, but the thing is he might get beat but he doesn't let it happen over and over its a rare occurance which makes him above average. (He also usually handles these rushers one on one and gets occasional RB or TE help less then most LT's.)
    Having said that Olinemen go down hill fast when they go usually, especially OT's. The ones that have the ability to move inside to OG lengthen their career. Very few OT's,  LT's especially play that position their whole career at a high level then retire. Those are the Bruce Armstrong's of the world. 
    So to my point... Vollmer looks like he might be the heir apparent but not till next year at the earliest unless there is an injury. Then I could see a couple scenarios where he gets to start this season. But, Light if healthy is the best option at this point. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

It's true enough that Suggs' play turned what was looking like a "laugher" into a nail-biter, but I am far more concerned about an offensive coordinator (or whatever you want to call O'Brien) who -- with eight minutes left and the game there for the taking at the opponent's 12 -- sends in a pass play on second and four and . . .  when that fails . . .  calls for a rollout which limits Brady to one reciever. Look, if you think your cousin or his friend or some drunk three stools down can do a better job than Light, give Belichick a call and let him know. When I talk to him, it's going to be about the play calling.
    Posted by prairiemike

I won't argue with you about the "curious" play calling at the end of the game.  I hope BB is looking around the league to address this issue (LT).  Whether you like Light or not, you have to agree this is becoming an issue.  Brady has enough to worry about (knees, Galloway, rust, etc.) without having to worry about getting killed on his blind side. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

This is an interesting situation, MatT Light is an above average LT. He has consistantly handled most pass rushers year in and year out. This year and last he did show some vulnerability to elite speed rushers, but the thing is he might get beat but he doesn't let it happen over and over its a rare occurance which makes him above average. (He also usually handles these rushers one on one and gets occasional RB or TE help less then most LT's.) Having said that Olinemen go down hill fast when they go usually, especially OT's. The ones that have the ability to move inside to OG lengthen their career. Very few OT's,  LT's especially play that position their whole career at a high level then retire. Those are the Bruce Armstrong's of the world.  So to my point... Vollmer looks like he might be the heir apparent but not till next year at the earliest unless there is an injury. Then I could see a couple scenarios where he gets to start this season. But, Light if healthy is the best option at this point. 
    Posted by DaBlade

To quote your point "OLineman go down hill fast when they go, especially Ot's", we are at that point. We have actually been at that point.  Lights' demise started back in the 07' Superbowl (he wasn't the only lineman that game to be fair) and has only grown more apparent with time.  Like I stated earlier, Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, Schobel, etc...  own Light.  It's not his fault (father time).  You say "he rarely let's it happen over and over".  Four games into the year, and he is directly responsible for two forced fumbles off of sacks that resulted in a touchdown.  The" rarely" has become the "norm".  You may be right, Vollmer may not be ready yet, but something has to give.  I just hope it's not Brady's knee from anther blind side hit!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

This is an interesting situation, MatT Light is an above average LT. He has consistantly handled most pass rushers year in and year out. This year and last he did show some vulnerability to elite speed rushers, but the thing is he might get beat but he doesn't let it happen over and over its a rare occurance which makes him above average. (He also usually handles these rushers one on one and gets occasional RB or TE help less then most LT's.) Having said that Olinemen go down hill fast when they go usually, especially OT's. The ones that have the ability to move inside to OG lengthen their career. Very few OT's,  LT's especially play that position their whole career at a high level then retire. Those are the Bruce Armstrong's of the world.  So to my point... Vollmer looks like he might be the heir apparent but not till next year at the earliest unless there is an injury. Then I could see a couple scenarios where he gets to start this season. But, Light if healthy is the best option at this point. 
    Posted by DaBlade

To quote your point "OLineman go down hill fast when they go, especially Ot's", we are at that point. We have actually been at that point.  Lights' demise started back in the 07' Superbowl (he wasn't the only lineman that game to be fair) and has only grown more apparent with time.  Like I stated earlier, Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, Schobel, etc...  own Light.  It's not his fault (father time).  You say "he rarely let's it happen over and over".  Four games into the year, and he is directly responsible for two forced fumbles off of sacks that resulted in a touchdown.  The" rarely" has become the "norm".  You may be right, Vollmer may not be ready yet, but something has to give.  I just hope it's not Brady's knee from anther blind side hit!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aces1. Show aces1's posts

Light, Maroney and galloway, pure garbage. Dead weight, anyone??? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

Posted by aces1

Light may be good inside.  Maroney should try out for Dancing with the Stars, and Galloway just needs to retire. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Posted by aces1

I've been waiting for Larry and sticking up for him. I'm done. Make him a WR or cut him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : I've been waiting for Larry and sticking up for him. I'm done. Make him a WR or cut him.
    Posted by Caesar1177

Wonder if we can get anything for him?  I've been trying to see the up side in him for four years now.  What a waste of "potential" talent!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I hated to see Matt give up this play, because I knew all the haters would be asking for his head. Take that ONE play away, and this topic would never see the light of day! I can't wait to see a replay of this game on NFL Network to watch Matt's ENTIRE performance.

I'm really eager to hear people's thoughts on how an O-lineman can fairly be judged on his performance, specifically in the area of pass protection. How many times can he be "beaten" and still be considered successful? If Matt keeps his opponents off Brady for twenty dropbacks, and then gives up a sack, has he had a good game? Or does he need to be perfect, against NFL-quality players, to be considered good? Any thoughts?

Sections
Shortcuts