How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?

It's time to either move Light inside, or bench him all together.  I've been saying this for over two years now.  He nearly cost us the Bills game, and did the same today versus the Ravens.  It's just a matter of time before he gets Brady hurt!  He simply can't handle the speed rushers anymore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nuwriter. Show nuwriter's posts

Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us?????????

In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us?????????:
    [QUOTE]It's time to either move Light inside, or bench him all together.  I've been saying this for over two years now.  He nearly cost us the Bills game, and did the same today versus the Ravens.  It's just a matter of time before he gets Brady hurt!  He simply can't handle the speed rushers anymore.
    Posted by DStroh1[/QUOTE]

Overreact much?

Tom Brady has dropped back 174 times this season, and been sacked 4 times.

Settle down. A very good player made a great play. It happens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us?????????:
    [QUOTE]In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : Overreact much? Tom Brady has dropped back 174 times this season, and been sacked 4 times. Settle down. A very good player made a great play. It happens.
    Posted by nuwriter[/QUOTE]

It's a little overreaction but it's Light main flaw, not with just good players but anyone who rushes off the edge with speed seems to beat him everytime. The sack numbers really don't tell the whole story either because Tom has been hit alot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I have to concur with writer here.

Suggs made a play. Tip your hat and move on.

I might or might not agree that Light is a weak link, but guys get beat in this league. It's an occupational hazard.

The problem with being an offensive lineman is that, when you're doing your job, hardly anyone notices. The only time we focus on you is when you f*ck up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ahem.

Matt Light didn't cost them the game.

They won.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : Overreact much? Tom Brady has dropped back 174 times this season, and been sacked 4 times. Settle down. A very good player made a great play. It happens.

Bingo. Brady had lots of time on several drop backs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Light had a very good game last week, thought he played well today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I think that for you guys that want to defend Matt Light, all you need to do is watch the replays!!!  Matt Light is okay when he's dealing with defensive linemen that try and out-muscle him like Abraham did in the falcons game last week.  However the video evidence shows time and again, that if you throw an athletic move on Matt Light, he gets beat 99.9% of the time.  The guys resorts to holding jerseys and trying to throw pushes to the back as a means of coping with speed and agility from defenders. 

The video footage does not lie, they show it whenever Brady is hurried or sacked.
    Matt Light might have been a decent option at LT a few years ago, but now he's over 31 yrs old, and one has to wonder if his age is catching up with him and accounting for his lack of speed/agility?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

I think that for you guys that want to defend Matt Light, all you need to do is watch the replays!!!  Matt Light is okay when he's dealing with defensive linemen that try and out-muscle him like Abraham did in the falcons game last week.  However the video evidence shows time and again, that if you throw an athletic move on Matt Light, he gets beat 99.9% of the time.  The guys resorts to holding jerseys and trying to throw pushes to the back as a means of coping with speed and agility from defenders.  The video footage does not lie, they show it whenever Brady is hurried or sacked. Matt Light might have been a decent option at LT a few years ago, but now he's over 31 yrs old, and one has to wonder if his age is catching up with him and accounting for his lack of speed/agility?
    Posted by angel3781

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has noticed Light has slipped Angel!  These guys all want to defend Light, but facts are facts.  Name another tackle in the league right now that has given up two sacks that directly resulted in a touchdown.  You can't.  And I didn't say the Pats lost as another poster replied.  The question was how long before his mistakes DO cost us a game.  HAD we lost today, there would have been ALOT more ***itching about Matt Light!  We've heard Lights name numerous times already this year, and we've only played four games!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Vollmer baby!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

I have to concur with writer here. Suggs made a play. Tip your hat and move on. I might or might not agree that Light is a weak link, but guys get beat in this league. It's an occupational hazard. The problem with being an offensive lineman is that, when you're doing your job, hardly anyone notices. The only time we focus on you is when you f*ck up.
    Posted by prairiemike

Get ready to start tipping your hat to alot of more defensive ends!  Schobel, Suggs,..........It's only week four.  Wait until we play Miami (Jason Taylor), and the colts (Freeney).  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

Ahem. Matt Light didn't cost them the game. They won.
    Posted by zbellino

Ahem, I said nearly.   Buffalo and Baltimore were both beaten pretty good.  Both games were alot closer than the score indicated because of Matt Light's mistakes.  Period.  It's only a matter of time before we actually do lose a close game like this, or get Brady hurt.  Light has problems with speed rushers.  If you check the schedule we get to play the Colts (Freeney), and Miami (Taylor) twice, just to mention a few.  I hope I'm wrong, but those games are going to be LONGGGGGGG days for Light - again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

Vollmer baby!!!
    Posted by Caesar1177

That's what I'm talking about!!!!  Right on.  Bring on the big Sea Bass

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

Light had a very good game last week, thought he played well today.
    Posted by southernpat

Did you watch the game today???????????  We couldn't run the ball to save our lives.  Brady was under pressure alot.  And Matt Light gave up a sack that resulted in a fumble and a touchdown.  Other than that, he had a great day!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

against the Bills, it was Brady who didn't adjust the coverage properly, and Light picked up exactly who he was supposed to. That wasn't his fault.

So really the only issue he's had was the one time he let Suggs get in there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from blahx1. Show blahx1's posts

I'm not a big Matt fan, but we also gotta remember he plays the left end of the line, which is Brady's blind side. That's a tough position, man.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : Glad to see I'm not the only one that has noticed Light has slipped Angel!  These guys all want to defend Light, but facts are facts.  Name another tackle in the league right now that has given up two sacks that directly resulted in a touchdown.  You can't.  And I didn't say the Pats lost as another poster replied.  The question was how long before his mistakes DO cost us a game.  HAD we lost today, there would have been ALOT more ***itching about Matt Light!  We've heard Lights name numerous times already this year, and we've only played four games!
    Posted by DStroh1[/QUOTE]

Light is having his share of problems,  but partially blame the bad play calling deep in our own end of the field.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Light is a C+ O-lineman. End of story. He can't dominate a DE. Try Seabass, see what happens.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Tell it, blahx.

It's not a tough position. It's the toughest position.

It's the quarterback's blindside and it's where the defense attacks and the most potent attack weapon any defense has is usually going to attack on that side. The reason it is so easy to find examples of Light missing assignments or getting beat is because he is under heavy fire ALL THE TIME.

I have high hopes for Sebastian Vollmer.

But y'all have lost your minds if you think the Pats have a better option than Matt Light right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Yet, the Colts seem to be able to protect Manning's blindside?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Yup.

That's right Caesar.

In fact, every other team protects their quarterback.

Brady is the only one who ever gets sacked.

And it's all Matt Light's fault.

Wheny you're right, you're right.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : I'm not a big Matt fan, but we also gotta remember he plays the left end of the line, which is Brady's blind side. That's a tough position, man.
    Posted by blahx1[/QUOTE]

Whhhhat???  A voice of reason?!?  So what you're sayin' is, that You DON'T want an untested Rookie left tackle to cover the blind-side of your franchise QB in what will be his 4th or 5th game back from suffering a completely blown out knee..you're insane.  Look, Whomever said something akin to "the only time O-Lineman's names are called before/after/during or WHENever regarding the game they played, is when they f' up," nailed it spot-on...  What stat did someone give?  4 Sacks...sheez. 

of note:  yea, I don't want to sound like Light ISN'T a "weak-link" at Left Tackle by NFL-standards (because I believe he is too), I just would like to entertain any SERIOUS offers at who or how he should be replaced...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

[QUOTE]Yup. That's right Caesar. In fact, every other team protects their quarterback. Brady is the only one who ever gets sacked. And it's all Matt Light's fault. Wheny you're right, you're right.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

That's not what I'm saying. Light is great against average DE's. Against good DEs he's average. Against great DE's, he's poor.

Now, good LT's are at least average against good DE's. It tells me that Light is not a top end player at what, I quote "the most important position" on the field. That is not what we need. And yes, other QB's get sacked. But Light has been responsible for 14 points in four games. Am I supposed to be cool with that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : Light is having his share of problems,  but partially blame the bad play calling deep in our own end of the field.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with you that the play calling has also been "curious" at times, but this O line was built to pass protect our Pro Bowl QB.  The Pats O line wasn't built to run block obviously.  If just one piece of the equation fails (Light), they all fail.  It is a very tough position, but 31 other teams have the same challenge we do.  Light seems like a nice guy, but he has gotten older and has lost a step.  Moving him inside might not be so bad.  The Pats have made a youth movement of late, so why not try Vollmer.  It's probably too late to experiment this season.  I just hope Brady doesn't get KO'd from his blind side. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost us????????? : That's not what I'm saying. Light is great against average DE's. Against good DEs he's average. Against great DE's, he's poor. Now, good LT's are at least average against good DE's. It tells me that Light is not a top end player at what, I quote "the most important position" on the field. That is not what we need. And yes, other QB's get sacked. But Light has been responsible for 14 points in four games. Am I supposed to be cool with that?
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

Caesar, these guys that are arguing with you obviously have a man crush or something on Matt Light.  You are spot on!  Light is average at best at this stage of his career.  These guys are conveniently forgetting the Superbowl, and the past couple of years where guys like Taylor, Schobel, and Freeney to name a few have OWNED Light.  Do we currently have a guy(s) on this roster than can replace Light?  Maybe (Vollmer).  If not, maybe we should be looking to trade for a LT before Brady does get KO'd.  Had we lost today, they wouldn't be defending Light!