How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?:
    [QUOTE]I WROTE BEFORE THE GAME THAT LIGHT WOULD NOT HAVE A GOOD GAME. WHY ARE YOU GUYS DEFENDING HIM? iT ISN'T JUST THE SACKS THAT LIGHT GIVES UP. LOOK AT HOW MANY TIMES TOM IS CHASED OUT OF THE POCKET BECAUSE LIGHT CANNOT BLOCK HIS MAN. THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER PLAYER ON THAT TEAM. AND, MORONEY! LET SAMMY AND FRED CARRY THE BALL.
    Posted by revereman[/QUOTE]

All these guys that defend him are using the "well the other guy is an all pro so it's ok excuse".  That makes it all right, REALLY?  So every time we play the likes of a Schobel, Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, Osi O., Terrell Suggs, etc.etc.etc  Light gets one free pass?  Ridiculous!!!!  Like I wrote several times in this post, HAD we lost these clowns wouldn't be defending him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hingen. Show hingen's posts

have no knowledge of who is a better player between Light and Sea guy but since BB have Light out there, he must be the best player (at the point in time) at the position. PERIOD.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots? : All these guys that defend him are using the "well the other guy is an all pro so it's ok excuse".  That makes it all right, REALLY?  So every time we play the likes of a Schobel, Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, Osi O., Terrell Suggs, etc.etc.etc  Light gets one free pass?  Ridiculous!!!!  Like I wrote several times in this post, HAD we lost these clowns wouldn't be defending him.
    Posted by DStroh1[/QUOTE]

Love, truly, love the way you put words in everyone else's mouth.  Not only that, you are ignoring the fact that Light totally shut out John Abraham when the Pats beat the Falcons.  And, at the risk of mentioning an inconvenient fact, Abraham set a new franchise record with the Falcons last year with 16.5 sacks (3rd in the NFL). 

But, don't really blame you for either ignoring or discounting this because it undermines your basic premise. 

Yeah, I know:  you're a much better judge of talent than BB.  That's why we're posting on a blog site and BB is coaching a Super Bowl contender.

Cheers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots? : Love, truly, love the way you put words in everyone else's mouth.  Not only that, you are ignoring the fact that Light totally shut out John Abraham when the Pats beat the Falcons.  And, at the risk of mentioning an inconvenient fact, Abraham set a new franchise record with the Falcons last year with 16.5 sacks (3rd in the NFL).  But, don't really blame you for either ignoring or discounting this because it undermines your basic premise.  Yeah, I know:  you're a much better judge of talent than BB.  That's why we're posting on a blog site and BB is coaching a Super Bowl contender. Cheers.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

He may have not have mentioned it, but I sure did.  I am definately one of those guys that believe Matt Light needs to be replaced as our LT.  With regards to Light's performance during the Falcons game, I mentioned numerous times that he performed well in that game but with a caveat.  John Abraham if you noticed while watching that game, tried to beat Matt Light by overpowering him, which as I previously stated actually plays to Matt Light's strengths. 

However, Matt Light get's beat almost 99.9% of the time when DE/LB's use some sort of athletic move/fake on him because Light is not capable of matching up with fast, mobile defenders.  So, Matt Light did shut down Abraham last week (not disputing that), but in every other game (yes even those games which we won both this season and last) he has failed miserably against agile defenders.

Why is this critical, because the book on the Pats is that you beat them by blitzing with DE/LB's that are fast and athletic; and as we all know the NFL is a copycat league!  I wouldn't be so hard on Matt Light if while watching replays I saw that Brady was sacked or hit because one of the other o-lineman blew their coverage and was responsible for causing the aforementioned sack or hit instead of Matt Light.  However, whenever they show replays of Brady getting hurried, sacked, or stripped of the ball, I see that the defender that got to Brady was the guy that was supposed to be covered by Matt Light in the vast majority of instances.

Am I saying that's it's all Matt Light's fault, that no one else on the o-line misses coverages....hell no!  But, Matt Light is responsible for way over half of those blown plays.  Personally at 31 yrs old, age may be playing a factor in Light's performance in terms of his ability to hang with athletic defenders.  Sure he has a pro bowl or two, but like I said earlier, this is about his level of play over the course of this season and last season (not the magical record setting '07 season or the SB seasons etc...).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots? : He may have not have mentioned it, but I sure did.  I am definately one of those guys that believe Matt Light needs to be replaced as our LT.  With regards to Light's performance during the Falcons game, I mentioned numerous times that he performed well in that game but with a caveat.  John Abraham if you noticed while watching that game, tried to beat Matt Light by overpowering him, which as I previously stated actually plays to Matt Light's strengths.  However, Matt Light get's beat almost 99.9% of the time when DE/LB's use some sort of athletic move/fake on him because Light is not capable of matching up with fast, mobile defenders.  So, Matt Light did shut down Abraham last week (not disputing that), but in every other game (yes even those games which we won both this season and last) he has failed miserably against agile defenders. Why is this critical, because the book on the Pats is that you beat them by blitzing with DE/LB's that are fast and athletic; and as we all know the NFL is a copycat league!  I wouldn't be so hard on Matt Light if while watching replays I saw that Brady was sacked or hit because one of the other o-lineman blew their coverage and was responsible for causing the aforementioned sack or hit instead of Matt Light.  However, whenever they show replays of Brady getting hurried, sacked, or stripped of the ball, I see that the defender that got to Brady was the guy that was supposed to be covered by Matt Light in the vast majority of instances. Am I saying that's it's all Matt Light's fault, that no one else on the o-line misses coverages....hell no!  But, Matt Light is responsible for way over half of those blown plays.  Personally at 31 yrs old, age may be playing a factor in Light's performance in terms of his ability to hang with athletic defenders.  Sure he has a pro bowl or two, but like I said earlier, this is about his level of play over the course of this season and last season (not the magical record setting '07 season or the SB seasons etc...).
    Posted by angel3781[/QUOTE]

This is great, I love this! We got to keep it going every week, this is a good healthy debate! It's going to be the Matt Light watch all season, unless he gets replaced.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots? : Love, truly, love the way you put words in everyone else's mouth.  Not only that, you are ignoring the fact that Light totally shut out John Abraham when the Pats beat the Falcons.  And, at the risk of mentioning an inconvenient fact, Abraham set a new franchise record with the Falcons last year with 16.5 sacks (3rd in the NFL).  But, don't really blame you for either ignoring or discounting this because it undermines your basic premise.  Yeah, I know:  you're a much better judge of talent than BB.  That's why we're posting on a blog site and BB is coaching a Super Bowl contender. Cheers.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

ATJ, I'm sorry I didn't give Light credit for the ONE good game he has had out of FOUR.  You are obviously one of those guys that has fifth place trophies sitting around your house.  Great job bro, great effort!  You CONVENIENTLY picked the ONE good game he had.  So I'll be looking for more posts from you once a month.  Would you care to address the games he has stunk up the house???????  By the way, I NEVER claimed to know more than BB.  I'm sure BB is smart enough to know that this has become an issue.  Would I be surprised if a trade was made mid season for another LT, no.  Would I be surprised to see Sea Bass get worked into more games, no.  Would I be surprised to see more free agents come in and try out at LT, no.  I promise you, this IS an issue that BB is aware of.  You just keep drinking the Koolaid and keep thinking everything is just fine and dandy at LT. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many more games will Matt Light nearly cost the Patriots? : This is great, I love this! We got to keep it going every week, this is a good healthy debate! It's going to be the Matt Light watch all season, unless he gets replaced.
    Posted by donspartucus[/QUOTE]

You know what's funny about these guys that are defending Light?  It's the same guys that want Maroney run out of town.  Maroney, last time I checked, hasn't nearly cost us a game.  I'm not a Maroney supporter, but I don't see him giving up fumbles at least.  I brought up this issue (Light), because nobody else seems to be talking about it.  It appears to be acceptable to most of these yahoos on this board that support him!  I'm glad fans like you can see Light for what he is, a left tackle that is past his prime and needs to be either moved over or replaced. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

<<You are obviously one of those guys that has fifth place trophies sitting around your house. >> 

Wow!!! Did I really strike a nerve to the extent that you had to get personal, DStroh1??  And since you know absolutely nothing about me you automatically assume that since I disagree with you I must be a loser. 

When you grow up you'll learn that simply because someone doesn't see things the same way that you do they are not the personification of evil. 

As I said, Light is certainly not the best left tackle in the league but he's not the train wreck that you describe either. 

Perhaps the line would be better with Vollmer in there instead of Light.  Perhaps we'll see that before the end of the year.  And perhaps we can actually have a disagreement about a team we all care a great deal about without people having their feelings hurt. 

Grow up, DStroh1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

[QUOTE]<<You are obviously one of those guys that has fifth place trophies sitting around your house.  />>  Wow!!! Did I really strike a nerve to the extent that you had to get personal, DStroh1??  And since you know absolutely nothing about me you automatically assume that since I disagree with you I must be a loser.  When you grow up you'll learn that simply because someone doesn't see things the same way that you do they are not the personification of evil.  As I said, Light is certainly not the best left tackle in the league but he's not the train wreck that you describe either.  Perhaps the line would be better with Vollmer in there instead of Light.  Perhaps we'll see that before the end of the year.  And perhaps we can actually have a disagreement about a team we all care a great deal about without people having their feelings hurt.  Grow up, DStroh1.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Without getting personal (which by the way you started by calling me out for supposidly knowning more than BB and questioning my emission of facts), why don't you answer the question???   Please defend the OTHER three games Light has played.  I'm assuming that you watched the Buffalo game where he gave up a sack and strip that resulted in a touchdown.  I'm referring to the Jets game where he was run over several times and Brady had pressure on him ALL day long.  I'm referring to the last game where once again he gave up a sack and strip that resulted in a touchdown.  I'm sure you're as huge of a Pats fan as I am.  I'm sure the guys that are on this post that may not agree with me are also huge Pats fans.  That doesn't change the fact that our LT is turning into a nightmare.  So again, without calling each other out, please explain to me how you can defend Lights performance over not only the past four games, but since the debacle in the Superbowl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Fair enough, DStroh1, fair enough.

Let's start with our last Super Bowl appearance.  Our entire O-line was eaten up by a superior performing Giants front seven.  To me, the O-lineman who was taken to school the most was (and it really hurts to say this) Logan Mankins.  Did Light get beaten in the S/B? You bet, but no where near as badly as Mankins and certainly no worse than anyone else in the O line.

With respect to the Buffalo game, I absolutely agree with you that Light has trouble with speed rushers; no question there.

The Jets game: How many sacks did the O-line give up in the Jets game? That's right: zero.  Did Brady have pressure on him all day?  Of course; that defense is a pressure defense but if Light is as bad as you say he is then he should have been totalled by the Jets unrelenting pressure and he was not. 

Now with respect to the Suggs strip sack and ensuing touchdown:  We know that Suggs was Light's responsibility how?  Brady calls the protection not Light.  Perhaps it was Light's fault, perhaps it wasn't.  We don't know because we don't know what protection was called and we won't ever know.

As I said in prior posts, is Light the best LT in the game?  Hell no.  Is he the trainwreck that you describe?  I think not.

And in the spirit of enlightened dialog and undying support for our great NFL franchise, let's see how Light does over the next few games.  I'll post my views on what a super human performance we got from Light and you post yours on how a bale of oily rags would have done better.  Fair enough?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

[QUOTE]Fair enough, DStroh1, fair enough. Let's start with our last Super Bowl appearance.  Our entire O-line was eaten up by a superior performing Giants front seven.  To me, the O-lineman who was taken to school the most was (and it really hurts to say this) Logan Mankins.  Did Light get beaten in the S/B? You bet, but no where near as badly as Mankins and certainly no worse than anyone else in the O line. With respect to the Buffalo game, I absolutely agree with you that Light has trouble with speed rushers; no question there. The Jets game: How many sacks did the O-line give up in the Jets game? That's right: zero.  Did Brady have pressure on him all day?  Of course; that defense is a pressure defense but if Light is as bad as you say he is then he should have been totalled by the Jets unrelenting pressure and he was not.  Now with respect to the Suggs strip sack and ensuing touchdown:  We know that Suggs was Light's responsibility how?  Brady calls the protection not Light.  Perhaps it was Light's fault, perhaps it wasn't.  We don't know because we don't know what protection was called and we won't ever know. As I said in prior posts, is Light the best LT in the game?  Hell no.  Is he the trainwreck that you describe?  I think not. And in the spirit of enlightened dialog and undying support for our great NFL franchise, let's see how Light does over the next few games.  I'll post my views on what a super human performance we got from Light and you post yours on how a bale of oily rags would have done better.  Fair enough?
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Now that's the kind of dialogue I love to have!  In regards to the Jets game, I don't think you necessarily need to give up a sack to have a bad game.  Brady was under alot of pressure the entire game (not just on his blind side to be fair), which forced him into early bad throws.  In the Ravens game, the coverage was called correctly.  Light was assigned one-on-one blocking against Suggs which he got.  Suggs put an inside move on him and the rest is history.  Going back to the Superbowl, I also agree with you that the entire line was toasted.  I know you're not saying that Light is a premier LT (average is what you said).  I hope the first few games are not an indication of what I perceive to be below average play.  I hope you're right.  I hope he's still got it and can right the ship, but in my opinion once you start to lose a step you don't get it back.  Anyway, here's to agreeing on a happy medium.  GO PATS!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

GO PATS!!!!!! Indeed!!!!!!!!

Totally agree that Brady was under a lot of pressure the entire Jets game and he was still a little rusty. I also agree that you don't have to give up a sack to have a sub-par game.  And I'll take your word for it re: the total poof-job with Suggs.

Let's see how it goes with Light.  If he gives up a couple of more of those pancake jobs then I'm with you and Light needs to go. 

I do like this kid Vollmer but the only way we'll know is if he's in there against some quality competition.

Perhaps we should let Light know that we'll be watching and will blog the dog-crap out of him if he poofs again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

[QUOTE]GO PATS!!!!!! Indeed!!!!!!!! Totally agree that Brady was under a lot of pressure the entire Jets game and he was still a little rusty. I also agree that you don't have to give up a sack to have a sub-par game.  And I'll take your word for it re: the total poof-job with Suggs. Let's see how it goes with Light.  If he gives up a couple of more of those pancake jobs then I'm with you and Light needs to go.  I do like this kid Vollmer but the only way we'll know is if he's in there against some quality competition. Perhaps we should let Light know that we'll be watching and will blog the dog-crap out of him if he poofs again.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me.  I hope Light does read these blogs and prooves me wrong!  Hope there are no bad feelings about earlier blogs.  Here's to having more fun and insightful posts in the future!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I read and took everything said here in the spirit of enthusiastic support for our Pats.  Now, let's go tame those Broncos!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Matt isn't the best LT in the league nor is he the worst. The other guy gets paid, too. Get used to seeing him for the rest of this year anyhow.
    I'd like to see our #1 pick in 2010 or 2011 be a stud LT to anchor our OLine for the next 10 years. 
    If I'm building a football team from scratch, LT is the first position I look to fill. Regardless of who you have at QB, eventually a weak LT is going to put him on IR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DStroh1. Show DStroh1's posts

[QUOTE]Matt isn't the best LT in the league nor is he the worst. The other guy gets paid, too. Get used to seeing him for the rest of this year anyhow. I'd like to see our #1 pick in 2010 or 2011 be a stud LT to anchor our OLine for the next 10 years.  If I'm building a football team from scratch, LT is the first position I look to fill. Regardless of who you have at QB, eventually a weak LT is going to put him on IR.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.  Any thoughts or insight on LT's coming out next year?  We may already have our left tackle of the future in Vollmer, but from everything I've read, they aren't sure where exactly they want to play him yet.  Of course being versatille makes him a Pats type of player.  Sure miss the days of Bruce Armstrong!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snomanak. Show snomanak's posts

Get real, Let me fill you in on something, the other teams have pros also.  Watch the whole game. Lets get rid of a pro bowler and replace him with...ahhh lets see, get out dice, it works in Vegas...sometime. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Matt Light is picked on by the critics in this forum because, when he is beaten, it's easy to spot. When players miss blocks, run the wrong route, miss tackles, make penalties, etc., it's more difficult to accuse them of hurting the team. No one is ever going to accuse Fred Taylor of "costing us the game" because he doesn't make a first down run, but the fact is that failure to do so COULD help lead to a loss, just as much as Light giving up a sack.

This is a classic case of arm-chair quarterbacks trying to find the most obvious excuse for the team nearly losing. Kaczur gave up a sack on the first drive, but no one here is accusing him of almost costing us the game. If he had kept Brady clean, we might have gotten a touchdown instead of settling for a field goal. So did Nick cost us 4 points? Face it, there is a lot more that goes into a game than dominant left tackle play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

P.S. Having said all the above, I too enjoy the debate on this topic. Keep it coming, gang!