How many TE do we keep?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

How many TE do we keep?

With Yeatman tearing it up, I think we keep 4. Gronkowski, Hernandez, Smith and Yeatman. Butler to the practice squad cause Yeatman wont clear waivers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: How many TE do we keep?

I think we got to keep 4 TE's, especially with all the 2+ TE sets we run. I would concur with the 4 you point out. Problem is, we'll need to make room elsewhere on the roster I think. Perhaps we go 4 RB, or 5 WR...not sure how we make room for the talent on the roster, but there will be some good players cut for sure.
    Another option at TE is to keep a guy like Maneri. Although an OL, he could line up as TE, be your massive blocking TE + provide OL depth.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Maneri looked pretty good. Crumpler got beat out by a Lacross player, that says something.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

In Response to Re: How many TE do we keep?:
    [QUOTE]Maneri looked pretty good. Crumpler got beat out by a Lacross player, that says something.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]
    Crumpler from what I have read is not 100% healthy and that is why he's not on the roster.  As good as Smith seems to be, if Yeatman is outplaying him it's not out of the ordinary for BB to cut a draft pick in favor of a undrafted guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Be tough cutting a 5th rounder. Plus we need some depth being Hernandez is more of a receiver.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

4 with gronk, hernandez, smith, yeatman. Maneri will make the roster as a back up OT

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

4-Gronkowski, Hernandez, Smith, Yeatman. Shame about Crumpler being injured,would've liked to have seen him back this season. Also agreed that Maneri will be on this team as a backup tackle, Levoir goes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Conceivable that they keep 4 - Gronk, Hernandez, Smith and Yeatman, with Hern on the field in lieu of a 3rd wideout. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Conceivable that they keep 4 - Gronk, Hernandez, Smith and Yeatman, with Hern on the field in lieu of a 3rd wideout. 
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

agree with everybody. i put this out last week.
    we go heavy on te and de line (with all the elder statesmen and go lighter elsewher).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

and hernandez and price on the field more. 2 guys with unique skills on our roster.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'm rethinking my prior post on this. I said keep 4 TE's previously. I want to know switch that to 3, with either Smith or Yeatman (if clearing waivers) go to PS.

This is going to be a tight roster, lots of quality cuts. I thiink one way to open another roster spot is to use Maneri more as your big blockign TE. We could even release him time to time to catch to keep D's honest. He after all was a converted TE, so you know he has some skills in that department.

We could go with just Gronk and Hernandez, and Maneri fills in time to time when we want to run 2-3 TE set's. He provides much bigger (6'6", 290)and better blocking capability than Smith or Yeatman, so why not? If you can have an extra OL that is athletic like Maneri on the end of the line, with an extra 20 lbs or so, I'd do it.

So, Maneri in essence becomes your "swing" guy. Blocking TE, depth at Tackle. he sees the field more, and frees up a roster spot. The kid was still catching passes as a TE as recent as 2009. So, he provides some versatility there as well.

Thoughts?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think we'll have three TEs: Gronk, Hernandez (who's a hybrid receiver), and either Yeatman or Smith (with the other hopefully ending up on the practice squad).  Maneri (and maybe even Solder) will play in a third tackle or extra TE role too, I suspect.  If Hernandez was a bigger, better blocker, I could see us going with just two TEs, but with Hernandez not being a true blocking TE, I think we'll want to keep either Smith or Yeatman. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I don't think we keep 4 TE's, just doesn't seem like a good use of limited roster space. I suspect BB keeps three, its too early to tell if its going to be Smith or Yeatman that stays.

Do you keep an extra TE like Smith or say a depth player at DE/DT like Brace? Or a WR/KR like tate? Or edelman? I don't know if its worth keeping a 3rd blocking TE when we could possibly use Maneri or Solder in that limited role to block.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I think we'll have three TEs: Gronk, Hernandez (who's a hybrid receiver), and either Yeatman or Smith (with the other hopefully ending up on the practice squad).  Maneri (and maybe even Solder) will play in a third tackle or extra TE role too, I suspect.  If Hernandez was a bigger, better blocker, I could see us going with just two TEs, but with Hernandez not being a true blocking TE, I think we'll want to keep either Smith or Yeatman. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Your probably right on this, but I'm wondering why keep a pure blocking TE, when you could easily bring in Maneri or Solder who are bigger and probably better blockers than both Smith and Yeatman? By keeping Yeatman and/or Smith, you give up another roster spot for a pure blocker, when you have that in Maneri or Solder as you point out.
    I think the great thing about the guys being mentioned is versatilty, which should create the ability to be creative in terms of the roster. THeoretically, we could keep 3 TE's, and 1 less WR in that Hernandez could also play that role, or keep 2 TE's, and use Maneri/Solder as your 3rd and 4th respectively.

My point is if we are running more 4+ man DL fronts, and given we have some quality depth there, I want to keep an extra DL or two.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Roster spots are too precious on this squad.  I'm going on record w 3: Gronk, Hernandez and Yeatman.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Smith was touted as the best blocking TE in the draft. That was Crumpler last year. I cant see Smith getting cut and now that Yeatman has played so well you might have to cut someone like Endleman.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

yeatman is the uda that will make saquad this year...the problem is that if yeatman is cut... someone will def grab him...  we have several of those type players but mike reiss has a pretty good projected roster breakdown...but yeatman aint in it...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

With Yeatman coming from a lacrosse squad there was a lot of research done on him. I can't see them giving up on him after the promise he's shown. I bet tampa is a huge game for his future.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'd guess three, and hopefully they can get someone on the practice squad as insurance/development guy.  I haven't seen enough of Yeatman or Smith to have an informed opinion, but just read Bedard and he thinks Yeatman is the better overall TE. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

3 on the active roster and one on the practice squad.  Either Yeatman or Lee...they look pretty solid and should be kept around

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

In Response to How many TE do we keep?:
    [QUOTE]With Yeatman tearing it up, I think we keep 4. Gronkowski, Hernandez, Smith and Yeatman. Butler to the practice squad cause Yeatman wont clear waivers.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

Maneri, Solder and Vollmer are converted tigh ends
    Why would you cut For example a great special teams player like Tate of Slater to carry a fourth TE?

Hide Smith on the PUP, start the season with Yeatman Gronk and Hernandez
    If Smith cannot be PUP'd PUP Yeatman and convert him to a Tackle.

How did our team get so DAM tall and athletic this fast

BB turn over the roster so fast with such great players... its hard to cut any of these guys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Yeatman has been a big suprise at camp. He's nearly identical to Gronkowski in terms of measureables. He's 6-6 1/2 and 275lbs. He runs a 4.75 40. The knock on Lee is his speed 4.9 40. Lee seems to have great hands and is a superb blocker, but he runs like a lineman. Yeatman is a great athlete, being a lacrosse player. He should be very good at positioning his body against defenders. That could make him a very good tight end. He may not be as good a blocker as Lee, but Maneri should be able to contribute in that role. But it all comes down to Belichick, never know what direction he's going in. I remember when Terrence Nunn came out of nowhere and seemed to outperform most of the WR's in camp and still ended up getting cut.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I concur that 4 will be the number,but I don't know where the cuts will come from. I think BB will try and trade off a WR or two and maybe deal away a couple of his D-linemen. Also if they don't keep 4 they will lose either Smith or Yeatman however they will bring Crumpler as the guy that gets away replacement.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Whom ever we cut, expect to see them on the Jets or Giants
    They are both very weak there - especially the Giants

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

we still have the practice squad to stash talent too...

Sections
Shortcuts