How many TE do we keep?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Re: How many TE do we keep?

I think Hoyer is dealt too. We have too many talented WR's, TE's & RB's to hold an extra QB. Mallett looks ready now & BB is not one for babying anyone....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

Pats will keep 3 TEs: Gronk, Hernandez and Lee Smith.

Yeatman is a undrafted Free Agent who all in all was not effective as a college player for ND and Maryland.  Yes he played lacrosse but its safe to say that no other teams will steal him from our practice squad.

We wont keep 4 TEs because we will run more sets with 6 O Linemen this year. I expect Solder to line up on the outiside of Vollmer or Light in some situations.  That beats having an extra TE that will never play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

It wouldn't surprise me if Hoyer was dealt, but I just don't see it happening this year. I would be more plausible if we had a normal off season. Asking Mallett to step in against starters with no experience and not having a good handle on the offense is a bit much. You can do it, just need to cross your fingers that Brady finishes the season. It's a bet, maybe one BB will take given he has done it before.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

@PatsLifer (the reply button isn't working) . . . 

I think a lot depends on Maneri's skills as a TE, which we haven't seen.  Even if a TE is mostly a blocker, you want him to be able to be at least a little threat as a receiver.  This means he has to be able to catch reasonably well and has to be agile enough to run routes.  I know Maneri was a TE in college, but he may not have NFL level skills--and I assume they've beefed him up a bit, which could mean he's lost some speed and agility in the open field.  I think before they would cut a third TE and rely on a guy like Maneri as a versatile back-up at both tackle and TE, they'd want to be 100% sure Maneri could be an adequate TE.  Even if they thought this, though, I don't think they'd cut a Yeatman or Smith if they saw one of them having longer term potential.  BB's is always thinking a few years ahead as well as thinking about the current season. Plus, he's got to think about what happens if Gronk is injured.  All of these reasons make me think he's going to keep either Smith or Yeatman--though I doubt he'll keep both just because roster slots are at a premium. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: How many TE do we keep?:
    Smith was touted as the best blocking TE in the draft. That was Crumpler last year. I cant see Smith getting cut and now that Yeatman has played so well you might have to cut someone like Endleman.
    Posted by Philskiw1

if its me deciding i can lvie without tate easily. edelman if need be.
    smith and yeatman becasue of the players they are and can be, i dont let them go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

I'd guess three, and hopefully they can get someone on the practice squad as insurance/development guy.  I haven't seen enough of Yeatman or Smith to have an informed opinion, but just read Bedard and he thinks Yeatman is the better overall TE. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

if you hacve a chance, watch yeatman in jacksonville game. of course tonghts as well. he made some crushing blocks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

if you hacve a chance, watch yeatman in jacksonville game. of course tonghts as well. he made some crushing blocks.

Agree with that. I wasnt too impressed with his hands catching, but its still preseason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

@PatsLifer (the reply button isn't working) . . .  I think a lot depends on Maneri's skills as a TE, which we haven't seen.  Even if a TE is mostly a blocker, you want him to be able to be at least a little threat as a receiver.  This means he has to be able to catch reasonably well and has to be agile enough to run routes.  I know Maneri was a TE in college, but he may not have NFL level skills--and I assume they've beefed him up a bit, which could mean he's lost some speed and agility in the open field.  I think before they would cut a third TE and rely on a guy like Maneri as a versatile back-up at both tackle and TE, they'd want to be 100% sure Maneri could be an adequate TE.  Even if they thought this, though, I don't think they'd cut a Yeatman or Smith if they saw one of them having longer term potential.  BB's is always thinking a few years ahead as well as thinking about the current season. Plus, he's got to think about what happens if Gronk is injured.  All of these reasons make me think he's going to keep either Smith or Yeatman--though I doubt he'll keep both just because roster slots are at a premium. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

All good points. I don't know when Maneri caught his last ball. It could have been 2 years ago while still at Temple. I haven't seen anything from camp or practice reports suggesting they have worked him with the TE group as well. So, who knows if he can still catch or still has some agility.

It depends on how far out BB is looking, what he needs now, vs. a year from now. Yeatman although a "crushing blocker", hasnt' played TE or caught a pass in anything meaningful. His transition I think will take longer than this season if he is called on to do more than just blocking. The most NFL ready kid is Smith for all the obvious reasons..he's played the position and although slow, can block and catch.

So, back to my reasoning. If the now is more important than next year, and you require a more complete TE, you keep a kid like Smith. If you can wait on the development, and only require someone who will block, then maybe you go with a guy like Yeatman, and give him time to develop if he has the larger upside. It depends on what BB wants out of a 3rd TE this year. Again, maybe you roll the dice and say Gronk and Hern will finish the year unscathed. If you do, and believe Yeatman has the bigger upside, you go with Yeatman and send Smith to PS.

That is what I think will happen in the end. Smith has a better chance to stick with our PS than Yeatman I believe, and we can wait on his development.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

We will keep 4 TE's. This is going to be a very good Offensive team. I like all the TE's we have in camp this year. Just cant keep all.

Sections
Shortcuts