How many teams will be shopping for a QB in the 2011 draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

How many teams will be shopping for a QB in the 2011 draft?

I am counting-

Carolina
    Cincinnati
    Arizona
    Buffalo
    San Fran
    Washington
    Minnesota
    Seattle
    Tennessee

Could 4 QB's be taken in the top 14?  That would be great for us since we won't be needing one.  I am thinking Luck, Mallett, Newton, and possibly Terrell Pryor.  Is Pryor a 1st round pick if he comes out?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: How many teams will be shopping for a QB in the 2011 draft?

That's a good question. I think QBs could get pushed up the ladder based on team need rather than their overall ability as prospects. 

Luck, Locker, Mallet, and Gabbert all get first round grades from me. 

Some team might be fool enough to select Newton in the first, but they will get someone who is not really a QB. 

I would take Buffalo off the list ... I think Fitzy is a fine NFL QB. You would have to hit a home run and get an all star to replace him and the Bills have a host of defensive needs. 

Here are the top fifteen, any number of them could go with a QB and there are only four.... IMO, of course.
    1. Carolina (2-12) QB, DE, S, WR everything Luck?
    2. Denver (3-11) (DL, CB, OL)
    3. Cincinnati (3-11) WR, OL, DE 
    4. Arizona (4-10) QB, LB, RB, CB Mallett 
    5. Detroit (4-10) (CB, OL, S)
    6. Buffalo (4-10) (LB, DT/E, OL, CB)
    7. San Francisco (5-9) QB? Locker
    8. Dallas (5-9) Coach??
    9. Washington (5-9) QB Gabbert
    10. Houston (5-9) CB, S, OLB, DT
    11. Minnesota (5-9) QB
    12. Cleveland (5-9) CB, OLB, DE
    13. Seattle (6-8) QB
    14. Tennessee (6-8) QB
    15. New England - from Oakland (7-7)
    So I doubt the top five sees four QBs selected, but I also think we could see four gone in the top fifteen for sure....

As far as the Pryor question, I don't think so, especially with the discipline issues if he does come out, but he could be a concession prize in the second or lower first?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

It should be interesting.  In the past 10 drafts, only twice did we see teams draft 3 QB's in the top 15.  On three other occasions did we see 2 QB's taken in the top 15.

I think you hit it on the nose in saying that QB's could be pushed up the ladder based on team need rather than their overall ability.  I don't recall so many teams in dire need of a franchise QB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Another thing to take into account is the lack of quality FA QB's on the market.  

McNabb, Orton, Hasselbeck, and Matt Moore are the only ones worth mentioning and they are not franchise QB's by any stretch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

You may want to add Cincinnati to the list.  They may decide to blow up everything and start over.  I would have to agree that the QBs are going to climb.  I was looking at this at the beginning of the season when the draft talk started.  And yeah, someone will bite on Newton. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I agree that Newton is a wild card and someone could bite on taking him in the top 14.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

If cincinnati plays Jordan Palmer at all they'll be shopping for a QB. I've seen a lot of their games this year and Carson Palmer is just plain horrible. He forces the ball 25+ yards down the field to double+ coverage on 3rd and 2. I personally believe that teams that have been that bad are bad cause the salary cap and rookie salaries. The Bengals for example get one or 2 talented but problemed players. They dump all their cap into these and can't get depth. No one presently trade up to the #1 pick. Anything in the top 10 costs too much of your cap and kills depth. Thats why we traded from 8 when we got Mayo. It would cost too much. With a rookie wage scale you may see teams trade way up. I wonder if like in baseball they'll include large cash sums in trades.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Up until yesterday, I assumed Terrell Pryor would be returning to Ohio State. Now that he has been suspended for the first 5 games, I think there's a good shot that he will be entering the NFL draft. With him, there's a decent chance that there could be 6 QBs selected in the first round, Luck, Mallett, Newton, Locker, Gabbert, and Pryor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

Zbellino, I have great respect for your opinion and am generally in agreement with your observations (a fellow academic, I gather), I think Newton is very deserving of a first round selection.  I might take him before any other QB.  he is as fast or nearly as fast as Vick, is bigger and stronger, and throws the ball better than Vick did in college or in his first few pro years.  he would not flourish in every system, perhaps, but he will be a defensive coordinator's nightmare. Happy holidays to the red stick men

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Which of these teams could trade down (sweet spot being 10-15) ? Alot of these teams have multiple needs, ZB. Have a merry Christmas.....everybody....(trolls excepted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rdf63. Show rdf63's posts

Luck, Mallett, Newton and Locker should go in the first round. There is absolutely no question about Newton's talent and/or potential but he is a wild card and some teams fear he may be another Vince Young. Because of the suspension, there will be doubts about Pryor and he should consider staying in school. Blaine Gabbert should have stayed in schooll and will also fall into the late 2nd or 3rd round. Gabbert has skills but will simply be too many QBs available.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

if there's a run on 4 QB's in the first 15 picks then our 1st or Car's 2nd is going to become extremely valuable. I count 7-9 teams looking to upgrade at QB which means that at least a couple will be looking to move into the late 1st or real early 2nd to grab someone. I can envision a desperate team that's knocking on the door of a winning season like Seattle or Oak thinking long and hard the night between the 1st and 2nd rounds about trading their 2nd and at least a 2nd next year maybe even a 1st if they are desperate enough to get Car's pick and grab a QB quick

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

I think that Denver could be a dark horse team looking at a QB.  Whoever they hire as their new head coach may not feel comfortable going forward with Tebow, and now they appear to have burned their bridge with Orton.  To me, Tebow is a nice change-up to throw in occasionally for sub-packages, but I still can't watch him throw and believe that he will ever be an effective starting NFL QB.  Denver will be sitting probably at the #3 pick, so they could fall in love with one of the top QBs in this class and chalk up Tebow as a McDaniels screw up.  Glad it's not the Pats with that mess on thier hands!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: How many teams will be shopping for a QB in the 2011 draft?:
    [QUOTE]It should be interesting.  In the past 10 drafts, only twice did we see teams draft 3 QB's in the top 15.  On three other occasions did we see 2 QB's taken in the top 15. I think you hit it on the nose in saying that QB's could be pushed up the ladder based on team need rather than their overall ability.  I don't recall so many teams in dire need of a franchise QB.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]

Hey PFG,

If the new CBA gets done and includes a rookie cap, as most expect, that could also push more QBs up the draft charts, as teams won't feel they're making a huge future investment in a guy who may turn out to be a bust.

Think how stupid the Jets were to trade up to grab Sanchez at #5, having to pay out $28 million in guaranteed money on a $45 millon contract ($50 million, if he meets incentives). If Sanchez turns out to be a bust (and with shoulder tears happening this early in his career, who knows?), that's a lotta dough to have to swallow in a sport with a salary cap (a huge contract dilutes talent away from the overall team, so the QB must be worth it).

But, if under a rookie cap, the Jets were looking at, say, $5-$8 million in guaranteed money, taking a flyer on a "franchise" QB becomes a much more sensible risk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I see alot of teams needing QBs next year

here are a list of prospects:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011QB.php

One guy i didn't see on this list that I've watched and once he gets the right coaching and mentorship from a veteran QB is Mike Hartline out of kentucky.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188612

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE] I think Newton is very deserving of a first round selection.  I might take him before any other QB. Posted by chaucer[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree, he's not a pure QB. No team will waste a first or even second round pick on him for the QB position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Newton gets his reads off of cards. As in, he doesn't even make presnap reads. His DC and the backup QB do, then they signal the read into him. 

If anyone in the NFL takes his intellectual capacity seriously enough to go whole hog on him for a first, god bless em, but from what I have seen he will be nothing short of an unmitigated disaster at the NFL level, where you can't signal reads into your QB....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Newton gets his reads off of cards. As in, he doesn't even make presnap reads. His DC and the backup QB do, then they signal the read into him.  If anyone in the NFL takes his intellectual capacity seriously enough to go whole hog on him for a first, god bless em, but from what I have seen he will be nothing short of an unmitigated disaster at the NFL level, where you can't signal reads into your QB....
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

The other thing about Newton -- and hopefully we can stay away from the "x quarterbacks are not smart enough" debate -- is that he's got what I used to call (but don't anymore) Michael Vick Disease. He actively looks for a reason to pull the ball down and take off. Some teams prefer to look at this as "versatility," and that's fine, but my guess is that most teams in dire need of an actual NFL prospect at quarterback are looking for someone to run the offense . . .   not be the offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

I don't agree with the negatives on Newton.  He strikes me as pretty intuitive on the field.  Terry Bradshaw wasn't all that bright either, and he seems even more stupid now that he has matured and appears as an "analyst."  he needs an analyst.  Back to Newton;  I feel confident he will prove to be a solid NFL QB.  he is not a repeat of the LSU QB the Raiders drafted.  Now there is stupid. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I don't agree with the negatives on Newton.  He strikes me as pretty intuitive on the field.  Terry Bradshaw wasn't all that bright either,Posted by chaucer[/QUOTE]

WT...FK. Are you kidding? LOL, Bradsahw not bright? He won 4 Super Bowls.

yeah you've been brainwashed about Bradshaw being dumb.

Newton is one of many who shuldn't have won the heisman and who won't be a top QB in the NFL.

i'm still LMAO about this post. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many teams will be shopping for a QB in the 2011 draft? : WT...FK. Are you kidding? LOL, Bradsahw not bright? He won 4 Super Bowls. yeah you've been brainwashed about Bradshaw being dumb. Newton is one of many who shuldn't have won the heisman and who won't be a top QB in the NFL. i'm still LMAO about this post. 
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

People believe Bradshaw isn't that bright because he promotes that idea with his schtick on whatever pregame show that is that he's on.

Much like John Madden before him, Bradshaw has turned himself into a cariacature of himself in order to promote his brand . . .   and it seems to be working just fine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many teams will be shopping for a QB in the 2011 draft? : WT...FK. Are you kidding? LOL, Bradsahw not bright? He won 4 Super Bowls. yeah you've been brainwashed about Bradshaw being dumb. Newton is one of many who shuldn't have won the heisman and who won't be a top QB in the NFL. i'm still LMAO about this post. 
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

You may be right on the second part of this sentence, but the first part is nuts. Newton was completely deserving of the Heisman as an outstanding COLLEGE football player...just as Archie Griffin, Charlie Ward and Tim Tebow were all great college players whose greatness didn't transfer to the pros.

Without Newton, there is no way Auburn is playing for a national championship.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many teams will be shopping for a QB in the 2011 draft? : People believe Bradshaw isn't that bright because he promotes that idea with his schtick on whatever pregame show that is that he's on. Much like John Madden before him, Bradshaw has turned himself into a cariacature of himself in order to promote his brand . . .   and it seems to be working just fine.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    You're wrong.  Bradshaw really isn't that bright.  I've heard him speak in person and he really is goofy and dense.  It's his schtick that covers for his stupidity.  Check back on Newton in a few years and we'll see if he is J'marcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, or a skilled QB.  By the way, you don't have to be especially bright to win a super bowl, if you have a good supporting cast.  See Joe Namath, Ben Roethlisburger, the aforementioned Terry Bradshaw, and Jim McMahon