How many years have we been talking about...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

How many years have we been talking about...

The state of the NE secondary? Seems like forever. FIX IT already! It's like one boneheaded move after another in terms of drafting and FA's. It's going to take more than a year for Mcourty(spelling?) to mature and Butler...who knows. Gonna take time there as well.
     We've drafted like 100 DB's the last 5 years and brought in god knows how many FA's and we're STILL talking about it as a weak spot! Something is wrong here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: How many years have we been talking about...

In Response to How many years have we been talking about...:
    The state of the NE secondary? Seems like forever. FIX IT already! It's like one boneheaded move after another in terms of drafting and FA's. It's going to take more than a year for Mcourty(spelling?) to mature and Butler...who knows. Gonna take time there as well.  We've drafted like 100 DB's the last 5 years and brought in god knows how many FA's and we're STILL talking about it as a weak spot! Something is wrong here.
    Posted by smorgan86

"You nailed it here bud. We darn well should have known Bodden was going to tear his shoulder and be placed on IR. Belichick is losing his touch. I don't see how he didn't see Ty Warren landing on the IR as well. What gives? If only Belichick had the ability to see the future we may have been succesful during his era.

Good Post Stanley!"

You may be wondering if I copy and pasted my own response from your other thread? The answer is your dam right I did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

The state of the NE secondary? Seems like forever. FIX IT already! It's like one boneheaded move after another in terms of drafting and FA's. It's going to take more than a year for Mcourty(spelling?) to mature and Butler...who knows. Gonna take time there as well.  We've drafted like 100 DB's the last 5 years and brought in god knows how many FA's and we're STILL talking about it as a weak spot! Something is wrong here.
    Posted by smorgan86

100% spot on with this. Even during the last Superbowl victory it was done with a spare parts secondary with only Rodney,the great LB's and D line holding it together. All of those great LB's are gone and the D line is weaker yet the Pats still have a patched up no name secondary. Not good enough

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

waah waah waah waah waah waah waah.  Directed at whoever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The state of the NE secondary? Seems like forever. FIX IT already! Posted by smorgan86

your wish has been answered. Bulter and McCoutry are starting, plus chung and Meriwether will be back their too

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

how exactly is it the secondary's fault? Maybe if we could get a consistant pass rush it would make the DB's look better. you can only cover for so long before somebody gets open.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

A Ty Law caliber like player only comes once every so often! And you still have to be lucky enough to draft him!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

n Response to Re: How many years have we been talking about...:
    how exactly is it the secondary's fault? Maybe if we could get a consistant pass rush it would make the DB's look better. you can only cover for so long before somebody gets open.
    Posted by R3S1N20

Exactly.  Got to generate pressure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanKnowes. Show SeanKnowes's posts

In Response to Re: How many years have we been talking about...:
    Posted by R3S1N20

Yes, this is spot on. Those guys are out there on an island. The better the rush, the better the CBs look. I worry too that Bill is just taking on too much. I am greedy. I want them to win more SBs! Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Posted by R3S1N20

Oh yeah...That too!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

McCourty (1st)/Butler (2nd) - CB
    Meriweather (1st)/Chung (2nd) - S
    McGowan (UFA)/Sanders (4th)/Wheatley (2nd) - Backups

These guys are too young. Before, they were too old. Supposedly it's (the position) being ignored. Fans want good players, but want them now without having to coach them up. D a m n you BB for setting my expectations so absurdly high! You know what that's called?

Spoiled.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I still want Patrick Peterson CB next year.  Yeah I know we wont take him, but his is the next one IMHO of great CBs

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I like our chances with a younger faster defense. its gonna be trial by fire

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Posted by R3S1N20

Astute point.  That certainly was true last year.  You could see that the DBs were gassed by the fourth QTR, covering receivers way too long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Posted by R3S1N20

That's the thing. Over the last few years there seems to be this tendency of fixing the symptom and not the problem itself.

Brad confirmed your point with somehting he posted just before you.

"...100% spot on with this. Even during the last Superbowl victory it was done with a spare parts secondary with only Rodney,the great LB's and D line holding it together..."

The fact that the pats won the SB despite having spareparts on the  secondary, becasue of a good front 7 tells you that you have to make the front really strong and then work your way back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Posted by smorgan86

Lots of good "value" with our draft picks and signings.  Not much talent.

At least McCourty is a refreshing change from the past. 

I do think one has to question why the Pats, with all their stockpiled draft picks and refusal to "overpay" guys like Branch, Samuel, and Mankins, haven't been able to maintain their talent level.  Something's not quite working in my opinion.  Is it poor player evaluation?  Or just a strategy that emphasizes value too heavily over quality?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

prolate, I think we had a few years of bad drafts for sure.  I also think the last 2 have been very very good.  If that trend continues, we will be back on top and separate ourselves again from the pack.  Pats SB champs in 2012 and 2013. That is my prediction.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

prolate, I think we had a few years of bad drafts for sure.  I also think the last 2 have been very very good.  If that trend continues, we will be back on top and separate ourselves again from the pack.  Pats SB champs in 2012 and 2013. That is my prediction.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

I'm very excited about this current draft in particular--and in fairness to the Pats, being a winning team means consistently lower draft picks, so it's more challenging to be successful in the draft.  Generally, I like what BB does as he tries to maximize both value and the number of picks he has to play with.  I do sometimes wonder, however, if he doesn't take a generally successful "value" strategy just a little too far.  It is hard to watch reasonable, if not great, talent (like Branch, Samuel, Seymour, and Mankins) leave and then have their roster spot get filled with guys who just don't cut it because of age, inexperience, or lack of talent. There may very well be no better strategy than BB's, but sometimes you wonder if the Pats would be better off signing a few of these guys and continuing to build around them rather than letting them go and struggling for a few years to fill the hole left behind.  If we had signed Samuel we would have had only one hole at corner to fill.  Instead we ended up with two holes there, and have had a tough time filling more than one of those holes each season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

In Response to Re: How many years have we been talking about... : I'm very excited about this current draft in particular--and in fairness to the Pats, being a winning team means consistently lower draft picks, so it's more challenging to be successful in the draft.  Generally, I like what BB does as he tries to maximize both value and the number of picks he has to play with.  I do sometimes wonder, however, if he doesn't take a generally successful "value" strategy just a little too far.  It is hard to watch reasonable, if not great, talent (like Branch, Samuel, Seymour, and Mankins) leave and then have their roster spot get filled with guys who just don't cut it because of age, inexperience, or lack of talent. There may very well be no better strategy than BB's, but sometimes you wonder if the Pats would be better off signing a few of these guys and continuing to build around them rather than letting them go and struggling for a few years to fill the hole left behind.  If we had signed Samuel we would have had only one hole at corner to fill.  Instead we ended up with two holes there, and have had a tough time filling more than one of those holes each season.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Yes, I agree. I think BB's obsession with "value" and stockpiling picks ect. is hurting our talent base. The strategy is a good one to a point. You can't be the Redskins. BUT, there could be cases when signing a higher end FA to plug a hole (pass rush, CB) would be a good thing. I don't even think holding on to Samuel was the answer but we've had PLENTY of draft picks in our deck of cards and at the very least we should have used them to move UP instead of down in the draft to pick some top end talent. "somebody moved uip to draft Revis right? Just an example so don't bring out the guns about the Jets ect. The Pats have had MANY chances to fill these two most glaring holes, pass rush and a weak secondary. The value approach may work for a full scale rebuild but I don't feel that Pats needed that..especially in valuable years of Brady's prime. 2 or three players would have made the difference.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I trust in BB.  As far as the guys leaving u mentioned.  Branch has done little since leaving/been injured often.  Samuel is not liked by Eagles fans overall.  His lack of run support and giving up long plays kills them.  Seymour wouldnt be here this year either way and we have that #1 pick next draft.  Mankins and an OG are not worth more than we offered.  Lets see what we get for him. 
    And dont forget we have been close to the cap each year.  If u add any of those guys, we would have lost other players due to the cap. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

A Ty Law caliber like player only comes once every so often! And you still have to be lucky enough to draft him!
    Posted by Rodimus77

Revis, Vonte davis, J joseph, the kid for the raiders, rogers cromartie, woodson samuel (remember him)  to name a few ty law caliber CB

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

In Response to Re: How many years have we been talking about... : Revis, Vonte davis, J joseph, the kid for the raiders, rogers cromartie, woodson samuel (remember him)  to name a few ty law caliber CB
    Posted by DBCoach

And when were those players drafted and what number were the Patriots drafting?  I wish I had the time to look it up but if I recall Revis was the 9th pick in the draft, rogers cromartie was picked prior to the Pats first pick and I assume the other guys might have been selected prior to the Pats pick but I'm not sure about that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

If a QB has all the time in the world, he will look great.  Look at what happened when we played Miami last year.  How about Bradford last game?  No pressure and he looked like Joe Willie Namath in his first start.  Sometimes trying to save money by letting a proven guy go costs you in the long run financially just trying to find guys to replace him.  If they are proven keep 'em.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

fix the pass rush and you fix the seconary

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Oh yeah cromartie and samuael look real good this year.

Your wise beyond your years Sir. No pass rush means your corners have to cover for 15 seconds a play.

One thing to remember about Bill B's drafting... until the Mayo selection Bill B never took a linebacker before the 5th round I think. Ryan claridge and he never even was in for an NFL snap. Bill b always looked for the experienced vetrans.

Sections
Shortcuts