How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nepatz11. Show nepatz11's posts

Re: How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney?

I think we should attempt to turn Maroney into a receiver.  Can he run routes?  Does he have the hands?  We would have to find that out.  The truth is that we know pretty conclusively at this point that he is (a) great in the open field (b) horrible at finding holes and hitting them expeditously.  Maybe his substantial big play ability and open field running talent would be best served as a third or fourth WR even if he does have shaky hands and mediocre route running skills.  Otherwise we may need to acknowledge that this guy is never going to be an impact player. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdaddydiesel39. Show bigdaddydiesel39's posts

I predict that he willnot be on this team after this season. Bill never says anything bad about a player publicly but he will get rid of a player in a heartbeat if he is no longer a contributor on the team and his wage no longer equals his results. He's only playing Maroney to get some value for him when they get rid of him. Tippytoe magic will be gone by next year....his time is up. Anybody with a football brain knows he can't get those tough yards and that's why Taylor was brought in and that's why you saw him get only 7 yards yesterday on 6 carries....that's brutal numbers I don't care who you're playing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from earlWilson. Show earlWilson's posts

In Response to Re: How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney?:
    [QUOTE] Hopefully we won't have to put up with him much longer and the Patriots will trade she or Laura or whoever you want to call him. 7 yards on 6 carries yesterday is what he got and he was lucky to make it out to the 20 on the kickoffs because he's too busy tippytoeing around. I think that's an even better name for him.....tippytoe or tippytoe magic. It frustrates the heck out of me to watch this guy hesitate and tippytoe around all the time when we have other tough physical backs that we could put in the lineup to get some real yards. And I don't want to hear people say he's going to replace Kevin Faulk when he retires. Give me a break, I think that's a disgrace to Kevin who's plays his heart out every time he's on the field and sacrificies his body to make first downs and always makes the smart play. You're gonna tell me that Laura is gonna replace Kevin! He doesn't want to even put his nose in there and get a tough yard. The only reason he's still on the team is cause he's a early draft pick. Have you seen his yards per carry it's like 2.3 yards per carry. Stats don't lie. He's big time soft and doesn't want to go between the tackles for tough yards and it ticks me off that he's in there when other tough backs who can also pick up the blitz could be in there helping the team win. Taylor should be taking his carries and tippytoe should be outta here!
    Posted by bigdaddydiesel39[/QUOTE]
    no patriot back put up big numbers yesterday. was i seeing something, or did i see a very nice run on a screen pass from MARONEY? yes or no?. some of you 'experts' should stop dumping on our boston players and let BB figure things out himself. he`s just a little bit smarter than most of you "fans", although you may believe that you know alot more than he does. if BB thinks that`s its valuable having laurence marony on the team, than that`s good enough for me.  anyway, the sceen pass i saw LM run yesterday was a thing of beauty. he`ll get his turn soon enough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kentrosi. Show kentrosi's posts

He is the WORST kick-off returner. Have you ever seen anyone take so long to get moving? SLOW...

Trade him now, while he has some value, to a team that needs a running back. We certainly have enough, and better, talent on this roster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from earlWilson. Show earlWilson's posts

[QUOTE]He is the WORST kick-off returner. Have you ever seen anyone take so long to get moving? SLOW... Trade him now, while he has some value, to a team that needs a running back. We certainly have enough, and better, talent on this roster.
    Posted by kentrosi[/QUOTE]
    why don`t you write a letter to bill..and make sure you show him the proper respect, or he might not take your great advice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I keep (hoping) trying to find a way to defend him, honestly I saw a few runs (week 1 and 2), where it looked like he may finally get it, BUT after this last game, there are just too many times, I see him make 3 jukes?stutter steps? IDK what!? before ever moving forward, that it defies all reason.  Watch Taylor, if there is no hole he finds a crease and gains 3, LM loses 1, when there is a hole, because he is 2 busy juking and jiving (NORTH/SOUTH MAN!!). He even did it on kick offs. C'MON MAN!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

It's getting tough to defend Maroney.  He hasn't had much to brag about thus far.  However, the Patriots know the value of strong legs in November, December and January.  They will hold onto Maroney, and the whole stable.

I would just like to see "the Law Firm" activated for one game.  I think we all know that there is a star waiting for his chance. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The question is whether it's his heart or his brains.  If he honestly believes that he can get more yards by doing that tiptoeing, then he has to be coached out of it.  Time is running out fast if that's the case.  But if it's his heart and he's simply afraid to hit the hole, then cut him right now.  Everyone else on the team does their part.  He can't put their good effort to waste with cowardice. 

Only BB knows which one it is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

mmmm

nunn as well

still smiling about galloways benching : )

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

[QUOTE]The question is whether it's his heart or his brains.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

It's my belief that it is brains and I don't mean intelligence. I think he has heart, is smart and is athletically talented, BUT lacks the KEY trait of the best backs, VISION.

He just does not see the field. It was easier in college, because he was fast and hade huge holes, he only needed to outrun people, not find creases. I don't blame him, in the right system, he could be a good 3rd down back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MACEO-. Show MACEO-'s posts

At the beginning of the year I thought Maroney still had some value as a kick returner, but now even there he's dancing before he encounters any traffic. It's hard to believe this guy shared college carries with Marion Barber. Now THAT's a guy that will hit a hole. I would rather have Faulk running the ball than Laura. First Galloway is inactive- pretty soon the Law Firm will be seeing carries, and Maroney will be gone. BB is not gonna defend this guy much longer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

It's amazing how anyone other then family could even attempt to justify this Shlub taking up a roster spot on this team.

Hop-Skip-Dance is done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

Maroney's average is 2.9 yds. per attempt on 27 att.Taylor's is 4.5yds an attempt for 45 att and had a 100+ yd game. What more needs to be said about who we should start and who should be warming a bench.As a kickoff returner Maroney is ranked 38th in the NFL for 23.1 yds/att.That aint no good either.If this dude wasn't a first rounder,he'd be hanging out with Chad Jackson in the unemployment line.This dude is killing us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I hope all the meatballs deriding Maroney are here when he rolls over teams and leads our team rushing the ball in the playoffs... but somehow I doubt it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

I would love it if I'm wrong about him but times running out.He has 2.9 yds an att. so far this season.That just doesn't cut it for a starting RB.I have nothing against the guy personally but there are 52 other players,hundreds of staff and millions of fans that count on the RB to contribute to the game and help close it out.If he suddenly turns this around for a few games I'll start a discussion on how wrong I was.I HOPE I'm wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]He just doesn't seem to get how to hit the line to create a hole for himself. As HOTBLITZ suggested, find a role he's more comfortable with. On screens or as a check down flanker. Somethong. If that doesn't pan out, put him on that show,"So You Think You Can Dance."
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

Maroney runs the play as "called" period. The problem is that normally the opposing defensive player understands that whenever the O-Lineman attempts to take him in one direction they instinstively must fill the gap created. Maroney fails to make any adjustments as he approaches the line. In other words he fails to visualize what is taking place and how to create an excape as the defensive player fills the gap, so he stops and does his little two step until an opposing player wraps him up. He's great in the open field as he then visualizes the oppositions attempt at stopping him. He needs coaching IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney? : Maroney runs the play as "called" period. The problem is that normally the opposing defensive player understands that whenever the O-Lineman attempts to take him in one direction they instinstively must fill the gap created. Maroney fails to make any adjustments as he approaches the line. In other words he fails to visualize what is taking place and how to create an excape as the defensive player fills the gap, so he stops and does his little two step until an opposing player wraps him up. He's great in the open field as he then visualizes the oppositions attempt at stopping him. He needs coaching IMO.
    Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]

So you think that unless the O-Line opens bigger holes, Maroney is incapable mentally of getting it?  I suppose BB remembers what he did in the 2007 playoffs and is hoping to get some more of that.

Maroney will probably stink until the playoffs, then have a breakout performance and hold out during training camp. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I've joined this thread a little late but I think the agony needs to end sooner rather than later.  I don't understand how the coaches have put up with it for this long.

My only defense of Maroney is that he is actually pretty decent as a receiver (I believe this is because the D is thinking run all the way when he's in the game) and he is one of those "I do a little bit of everything" backs.  He's just a horrible pure running back - that's the issue.  His YPC is horrendous and there is no way to defend his negative runs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonboyinCA. Show BostonboyinCA's posts

[QUOTE]i heard all this talk leading up to the game from the media saying Maroney was ready to run hard. Instead he probably just danced his way right out of NE. Find a role for him, just dont hand the ball to him behind the line of scrimmage. He's good in the open field and never fumbles so he can be usefull.
    Posted by HOTBLITZ[/QUOTE]

If he were good in the open field, he could run kick-offs back past the 25 yard line, which I have yet to see.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]I hope all the meatballs deriding Maroney are here when he rolls over teams and leads our team rushing the ball in the playoffs... but somehow I doubt it.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Bump...

I'm not about to let the Maroney bashers hide...   Cut Maroney?  Hah, what a bunch of jokers.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney? : Who would the Maroney bashers rather have, LaDopian Tomlinson?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Marion Barber, for one.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney? : Pass that stuff over here
    Posted by viewer222[/QUOTE]

That is funny...thanks I needed that

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In Response to How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney?:
    [QUOTE]I haven't seen such dancing since "Singing in the Rain!" Surely the team is better off with the Law Firm active and Laura on the Practice Squad!
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you don't run the organization. They need him and he ran well last week. 

Sections
Shortcuts