How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney?

I haven't seen such dancing since "Singing in the Rain!" Surely the team is better off with the Law Firm active and Laura on the Practice Squad!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundeep. Show sundeep's posts

Re: How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney?

I agree maybe we can trade him for something.  Like a 4th rounder ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

would you give a fourth rounder for him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

i heard all this talk leading up to the game from the media saying Maroney was ready to run hard. Instead he probably just danced his way right out of NE. Find a role for him, just dont hand the ball to him behind the line of scrimmage. He's good in the open field and never fumbles so he can be usefull.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

He just doesn't seem to get how to hit the line to create a hole for himself. As HOTBLITZ suggested, find a role he's more comfortable with. On screens or as a check down flanker. Somethong. If that doesn't pan out, put him on that show,"So You Think You Can Dance."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

If there's any part of Maroney's game that looks good it's getting him out of the backfield and hitting him on a short pass. He does do a good job in open field. Maybe this team should look at him more as a future Kevin Faulk and not the answer as the main 1st/2nd down back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Don't worry, Maroney should be out for the season any day now with some practice injury.

The problem with Maroney is twofold. He is pretty much useless on the field. Even worse, every time he touches the ball he is taking touches and passes away from guys that could actually make a play. Fred Taylor is amazing. Every time he touches the ball he gets every last inch that is available on that particular play. There is no reason Maroney should be getting his carries. Some people act like he's 50. 20-25 carries a game is not going to kill him.

I also think law firm would help this team if he can improve on blitz pickup. I'm guessing that's what's keeping him off the field.

I don't get the Maroney thing. Sometimes Bill is stubborn. Like continuing to let Faulk return punts. I know he's gotten better with the fumbles the last couple of years. But why chance it? What's the point? It's not like he's Devin Hester back there- or even Troy Brown for that matter. When was the last time he made a big play on a kick? And that's the last place you want to cough up the ball. Only Bill knows. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

i hope he is with the team a long time.if it wasnt for his blitz pick ups,and he does it well.we may not have won the games we have.he has been huge at picking up the pass rush.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

There is only one role I can see for him if he stays with the Patriots past this year and that is as Faulk's replacement when he retires. Maroney has very good hands and is good in space so maybe that role is his slot in a year or two when The old Man (who doesn't look old) hangs em up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

i think the "replacement for Faulk" angle is interesting.  i could see that happening, definitely.  he is certainly not a feature back type, which is probably what they drafted him for but i think he can be a situational contributor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Maroney does not have good hands.  He can catch the ball if he is standing perfectly still and not looking downfield.  The second he tries to catch the ball in stride or while looking anywhere else, it's either going to be an incomplete pass, a fumble or an interception. 

I have to think it's bad for morale to have Maroney on the team.  Maybe it's an optical illusion but his hesitancy carrying the ball is palpable.  He's played well in some big games but the team needs players who encourage each other by giving it their best on every play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Maroney is a plain and simple BUST as a 1st round draft pick.  BB is too darn stubbon to admit he made a mistake in drafting a player who was not a NFL 1st round draft choice.  The ground-swell of booing the crowd is getting louder each week with Maroney's flacid rushing and kick returns.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

In Response to Re: How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney?:
    There is only one role I can see for him if he stays with the Patriots past this year and that is as Faulk's replacement when he retires. Maroney has very good hands and is good in space so maybe that role is his slot in a year or two when The old Man (who doesn't look old) hangs em up.
    Posted by DaBlade

I was thinking just this the other day.  Faulk isn't gonna last forever.  Maroney looks pretty good so far catching balls out of the backfield.  He returns kickoffs.  Haven't heard that he can't pick up the blitz, which Faulk is pretty good at.  Even better, he can tote the ball 20+ times if he has to, which I'm not sure Faulk ever could.  I don't think Maroney will ever be the feature back, and that's probably because he tries too hard to find a hole rather than just hitting the one he has.  You want a little more from a first rounder, but if he can stick around and have a Faulk-like career people might finally get off his back.  That and staying healthy could do wonders for his career.       

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I have always been a fan of Maroney on kickoff returns.  He started this season with a good one, 40 yards or so.  Since then it has gone downhill, instead of going full speed he is now slowly approaching the coverage and then trying to find a hole.  This isn't a play from scrimmage, please start going full speed again or better yet bring in Tate in a few weeks and let him show you how its done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

In Response to How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney?:
    I haven't seen such dancing since "Singing in the Rain!" Surely the team is better off with the Law Firm active and Laura on the Practice Squad!
    Posted by sml1210

How many drives are they going to let this guy kill before they bury him on the depth chart and leave the running to guys who can get the job done?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregRod87. Show GregRod87's posts

I'd like to see Green-Ellis get in there and run. So far..Green-Ellis, Taylor and Morris who are all supposed to be back ups are TEN TIMES better than this 1st round pick.

After 4 yrs...if he doesn't get it...he never will. Package him with Galloway and send them to the new UFL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

To nobody in particular...

How many more inane threads about Maroney are we going to have to read?

Maroney is our best overall athlete at runningback... period.  He tend to run wide because we use him on sweeps, pitches to the outside and swing passes.  The comparison to Kevin Faulk was a good one because he has that open field elusiveness and soft hands that Kevin does and we use him similarly but on early downs.

Whoever said he couldnt pick up the blitz is dead wrong, as is the constant criticism of Maroney.  At the end of the year Maroney will be our #1 running back in the playoffs when all the others have fallen off, we keep a large stable of backs just for that purpose...

Fred Taylor was hired to carry the load early, Morris will recieve the bulk of work midseason and Maroney will close it out strong.  Instead of wrongly attacking our own players because they dont fill out your fantasy stat team scores just consider our system and the bigger prize; winning another Super Bowl.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

//At the end of the year Maroney will be our #1 running back in the playoffs when all the others have fallen off//

Your name fits your comment, Wozzy...wow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

It's chic to dislike Maroney...you get in there and take on backers like he has. I'm disappointed too, but to repeat: when there's no hole, backs either try to find one, what critics call dancing, or they go down like Sammy did last year (albeit a freak injury). Think of the best tailbacks of all time and tell me who didn't "dance." 

Our other guys are going nowhere, too, when they have breakout ability, especially Taylor. Open the damn holes. You've seen proficient teams run and how can you compare our schemes and blocking to theirs?

Stop second-guessing BB. Stop imagining Maroney is the problem with the offense. Brady has killed more drives than Maroney has, for goodness sakes.

I'll live with BB's decisions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Maroney is without a doubt our most talented running back, and he has performed excellently in some big games, particularly the 2007 playoffs, and he may very well perform well later this year.  But it looks fairly obvious on the TV screen that he is doing his best to avoid being hit.  That is not good for team morale.  BB knows if Maroney is being timid or if it is an optical illusion.  If he is timid, cut him.  We can't have cowards on our team, no matter how talented they are. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

//At the end of the year Maroney will be our #1 running back in the playoffs when all the others have fallen off// Your name fits your comment, Wozzy...wow.
    Posted by gfkr2

In 2008 Maroney was out with injury so...

In 2007 Maroney had:

54 carries in September
    20 in October
    31 in November
    80 attempts in December for a 4.6 yards per carry average.

In December of the previous year (2006) he was our leading ball carrier in with a 5.6 yard average after doing a workman like performance in November with 57 carries. 

Maybe you havent been around long enough to remember all the crying on this forum for Bill Belichick to cut Antoine Smith in his final season after averaging about 4-5 carries a game for a 3 yard average during the regular season and with Kevin Faulk doing the bulk of the work.  All Smith did that season was lead the NFL in rushing during the playoffs and lead us to another Super Bowl win. 

The same thing happened in Corey Dillon's final season, Bill protected him in the regular season and than leaned on him when the weather turned cold; he dominated in the playoffs. 

A running back is a resource, Bill doesnt like to use up all his resources only to find the cupboard bare when the playoffs roll around.  Use the cannon fodder first, hit them with your best shot in the playoffs...  How come when asked about Maroney Bill only seems to praise him after a performance?  How come he started in the first series in the first game this season?

Fantasy stats win you nothing, except in fantasy land...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

To nobody in particular... How many more inane threads about Maroney are we going to have to read? Maroney is our best overall athlete at runningback... period.  He tend to run wide because we use him on sweeps, pitches to the outside and swing passes.  The comparison to Kevin Faulk was a good one because he has that open field elusiveness and soft hands that Kevin does and we use him similarly but on early downs. Whoever said he couldnt pick up the blitz is dead wrong, as is the constant criticism of Maroney.  At the end of the year Maroney will be our #1 running back in the playoffs when all the others have fallen off, we keep a large stable of backs just for that purpose... Fred Taylor was hired to carry the load early, Morris will recieve the bulk of work midseason and Maroney will close it out strong.  Instead of wrongly attacking our own players because they dont fill out your fantasy stat team scores just consider our system and the bigger prize; winning another Super Bowl.
    Posted by wozzy
    Pass that stuff over here

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Maroney is without a doubt our most talented running back, and he has performed excellently in some big games, particularly the 2007 playoffs, and he may very well perform well later this year.  But it looks fairly obvious on the TV screen that he is doing his best to avoid being hit.  That is not good for team morale.  BB knows if Maroney is being timid or if it is an optical illusion.  If he is timid, cut him.  We can't have cowards on our team, no matter how talented they are. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz

"Cut Him" ???

You want us to cut our #1 RB? Yes his #s have been down but look at the situations we put him in. He is the starter he comes in on the first series and as the opponents defense starts to wear down we bring in the battering ram combo of Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris! With Faulk sprinkled in its no wonder Maroney does not fill the "precious stat sheets" which everybody seems to think identifies a player as a positive contributor to the team. He has a role and he is filling that role. We have 5 healthy rbs who can all play for a reason. I think we should accept that for what it is...A positive addition to a potent NFL offense!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from earlWilson. Show earlWilson's posts

In Response to How much longer do we have to put up with Maroney?:
    Posted by sml1210

i`m not a big fan of maroney`s...BUT...what i saw yesterday was some good running by laurence, whether it was a screen pass or just a few nice off-tackle runs. he didn`t get the ball too often in case you didn`t noticed, and neither did morris or taylor either. get rid of them all! some of you  i-hate-maroney- punks..should get a life...you are almost as bad as some of the jed lowrie HATERS that pose as red sox fans. i mean the guy is still recovering form an injured wrist, got a key basehit a few weeks ago, in arguabely this season`s most exciting game, hit a grand slam yesterday...and can rake batting righthanded RIGHT NOW...but some are still screaming that jed is no good and should be dumped. the same could be said about maroney, yes, he`s been injured, but has good wheels as he proved only two years back. please, lay off of our boston players, you fair-weather fans...wake up and show your support... that is, if you are really a fan!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdaddydiesel39. Show bigdaddydiesel39's posts

Hopefully we won't have to put up with him much longer and the Patriots will trade she or Laura or whoever you want to call him. 7 yards on 6 carries yesterday is what he got and he was lucky to make it out to the 20 on the kickoffs because he's too busy tippytoeing around. I think that's an even better name for him.....tippytoe or tippytoe magic. It frustrates the heck out of me to watch this guy hesitate and tippytoe around all the time when we have other tough physical backs that we could put in the lineup to get some real yards. And I don't want to hear people say he's going to replace Kevin Faulk when he retires. Give me a break, I think that's a disgrace to Kevin who's plays his heart out every time he's on the field and sacrificies his body to make first downs and always makes the smart play. You're gonna tell me that Laura is gonna replace Kevin! He doesn't want to even put his nose in there and get a tough yard. The only reason he's still on the team is cause he's a early draft pick. Have you seen his yards per carry it's like 2.3 yards per carry. Stats don't lie. He's big time soft and doesn't want to go between the tackles for tough yards and it ticks me off that he's in there when other tough backs who can also pick up the blitz could be in there helping the team win. Taylor should be taking his carries and tippytoe should be outta here!

Sections
Shortcuts