How much longer does Hernandez remain a Patriot?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

How much longer does Hernandez remain a Patriot?

Anybody else think he might be gone after his rookie contract? Im assuming 2 years from now, Gronk will sign the highest contract ever for a TE. Graham will get something for slightly less, and then Hernandez. How much cap space can the pats put into the TE position?

Im thinking about this now because I wonder how it wil affect the Welker negotiations. Welker wants to get paid, he's stated that already. In two more seasons, can the Pats afford to pay Gronk, Welker and Hernandez?

This is also why I just cant see a guy like Wallace or Jackson coming here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: How much longer does Hernandez remain a Patriot?

Is it possible for the Pats to give a little and GronK and Hernandez to give a little? By that I mean rip up their rookie deals, give them more now in exchange for them giving up what they may have cashed in for in 2 years? Everyone makes out?

Kinda like what the Sox did with Pedroia a couple of years ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Gronk and Hernandez compliment each other. Gronk can stand alone, not so sure about Hernendez. Gronk makes Hernandez better.

As far as Welker goes, that key dropped pass in the SB has definitely hurt his bargaining power. I still say the Pats should again be focusing on strengthening the defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Belichick uses Hernandez in mutifaceted ways to his advantage. For any team looking for a pure TE, I don't think there would be many takers over what the Pats would offer him in his present roles that are suited to the Pats. Therefore he would be smart to stay in NE.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

In Response to Re: How much longer does Hernandez remain a Patriot?:
    As far as Welker goes, that key dropped pass in the SB has definitely hurt his bargaining power.
    Posted by LittleTimmy31

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goosedaddy. Show goosedaddy's posts

are you on crack? Hernandez is a multitalented player who the Pats are very lucky to have. He always makes the first guy miss, always gets yards after catch and would start on any team in the league. You sound like the same guys that want to get rid of Edelman. Hoodie has missed on alot of players but not this guy and now you want him to go away? And Welker won't be going anywhere either, he missed that pass, but caught 122 this year. The trouble on this team has been the poor drafting or no darfting of quality defensive players, and a learning on the job offensive coordinator, who I'm glad is gone. Hoodie a defensive genius? I don't think so anymore, he can even draft any D help. He got us 2 running backs last year in spots where we could have gotten good defensive help. They really contributed didn't they.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

They keep both, and get the low money at wide receiver.  Hernandez is not as sure handed as welker, but he is good, and we are going to move to less Welker anyway, given his age and the fact that we need to keep defenses honest a bit more.  If Gronk is healthy in the SB, we win.  Simple as that.  So I think if ANYONE goes, it will be Welker, as much as I hate to say it.  But I don't think he will.  I am guessing Welk gets a 3 year contract with good money, and we will deal with Gronk and Hernandez as we need to.  Ocho will take a bunch off the cap, and the missing members of the D line come off too.  Should be room in there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

To sign both TE's is less than 1 elite WR in the NFL.  BB is the first to realize this and use it to save cap space. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would not over-rate his value. He is good in the open field. But he is basically a slot TE who can't block very well, and has the dropsies. 

Teams won't pay top dollar for that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

are you on crack? Hernandez is a multitalented player who the Pats are very lucky to have. He always makes the first guy miss, always gets yards after catch and would start on any team in the league. You sound like the same guys that want to get rid of Edelman. Hoodie has missed on alot of players but not this guy and now you want him to go away? And Welker won't be going anywhere either, he missed that pass, but caught 122 this year. The trouble on this team has been the poor drafting or no darfting of quality defensive players, and a learning on the job offensive coordinator, who I'm glad is gone. Hoodie a defensive genius? I don't think so anymore, he can even draft any D help. He got us 2 running backs last year in spots where we could have gotten good defensive help. They really contributed didn't they.
    Posted by goosedaddy

I never said I wanted him to go away. I'm saying he's a very talented tight end. There's a good chance that other teams are going to offer him number 1 TE money. And I also think after this season for Tight Ends, there contracts will be much greater as BB has shown how vital they can  be to an offense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Not sure why this matters now. He's under contract for 2 more years.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Not sure why this matters now. He's under contract for 2 more years.
    Posted by tompenny

Cause BB looks long term and I think it will affect the contracts of Welker, and will also effect the type of contract we can afford to give out to a deep threat

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

And its also the offseason, and with no games left to talk about. Why not?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hern plays the role of #2 TE, #3 WR, FB, and #4 RB right now.

Though those are all lower salary positions when you add them up they come out to what Hern would most likely be looking for. I don't think they will have an issue giving him 4-5mil a year (High end for a TE)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Hern plays the role of #2 TE, #3 WR, FB, and #4 RB right now. Though those are all lower salary positions when you add them up they come out to what Hern would most likely be looking for. I don't think they will have an issue giving him 4-5mil a year (High end for a TE)
    Posted by PatsEng

You don't think another team would give Hern #1 TE money? Gronk and Graham will set the bar with their contracts. We all know how talented he is. Other teams know it. Someone will offer him a big contract...it's a matter of if he gives us a hometown discount

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: How much longer does Hernandez remain a Patriot? : You don't think another team would give Hern #1 TE money? Gronk and Graham will set the bar with their contracts. We all know how talented he is. Other teams know it. Someone will offer him a big contract...it's a matter of if he gives us a hometown discount
    Posted by dapats1281

$4-5mil/yr is currently top salary for TE's. Graham and Gronk will reset the bar but I don't expect them more then $6-7mil/yr range honestly (which would break the highest paid TE level) so I'd expect Hern to be in the tier just below that for most teams. I'd imagine Hern being looked at as #2 WR money or the lower end or #1 TE money so $4-5mil/yr seems right. The big difference might come in how much is guaranteed, the years, and the up front money. That will be the factor not so much the amount of the contract it self

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I study the team's contracts a lot and I think Welker is year-to-year now and we will probably use the Franchise Tag on him this year and next.  He would earn $9.4MM this year and get a 20% raise to $11.28MM in 2013.  There are no other players set to become Free Agents after the 2012 season who are worthy of using the tag on.  The only big names whose contracts expire after 2012 are: Welker (if we tag him this year), Light, Vollmer, Chung, Arrington, Woodhead and Pryor.  Vollmer, Chung and Pryor would be restricted.  Light will either retire or go year-to-year and I'm not worried about replacing Arrington or Woodhead if needed. 

The point is, the Welker money would be free each year for us to decide whether or not to tag him again, or let him go.  If we tag him twice, by the time we get through 2013, he'll be 33 which is getting up there for a slot receiver who takes as much punishment as Welker.  He might not be the same player by then, so let's assume he walks or gets a contract extension.  Either way, there will be plenty of money for Gronk and Hernandez and besides, both with be restricted for 2014 and I would expect to tender them at the first round level.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

why worry about this now when u have two more years to enjoy him and his play.........planning is good , yes but two years early is just plain silly

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

He'll be here for a long time, first, TE's don't get paid premium cash. Gronk might set the record after next season but Hernandez is #2 for a reason. He is an H-Back type of player, not a true TE that can line up and block affectivelly. That drops his value, he won't be hard to resign.

I'm guessing, and this is just a wild guess, Gronk will get 7-8 million per year, Hernandez will get about half that.

Regardless, we have both of them under contract for the next two years so speculating now is pointless. Fun, but pointless.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: How much longer does Hernandez remain a Patriot? : Cause BB looks long term and I think it will affect the contracts of Welker, and will also effect the type of contract we can afford to give out to a deep threat
    Posted by dapats1281

Like I said. Herndandez isn't due alot of money. Regardless he's on the roster for 2 more years. His contract has minimal affect on what they do this offseason. When both him and Gronk or up..that's a different story.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

He'll be here for a long time, first, TE's don't get paid premium cash. Gronk might set the record after next season but Hernandez is #2 for a reason. He is an H-Back type of player, not a true TE that can line up and block affectivelly. That drops his value, he won't be hard to resign. I'm guessing, and this is just a wild guess, Gronk will get 7-8 million per year, Hernandez will get about half that. Regardless, we have both of them under contract for the next two years so speculating now is pointless. Fun, but pointless.
    Posted by GadisRKO

1.  You should be more worried about how many years Brady has left before he retires.

2.  I understand your concern.  Do they sign Welker for huge money and miss out on a free agent WR.

3.  If you franchise Welker, does he sit out like Mankins.  I would, especially after being under paid for 5 years and OCHO gets 6 million dollars for doing NOTHING.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

BB has been searching for this TE combo his whole coaching career.  If you think for one minute that he would let either Gronk or Hernandez get away then you are absolutly crazy!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Welker is gone, the Pats don't pay 30 year old WRs. 

Welker will be 31 when next season starts, Branch will be 33. It's time Brady actually spent time to develop WRs instead of picking favorites. Branch and Welker get their walking papers, bring in some young talent. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Welker is gone, the Pats don't pay 30 year old WRs.  Welker will be 31 when next season starts, Branch will be 33. It's time Brady actually spent time to develop WRs instead of picking favorites. Branch and Welker get their walking papers. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Welker isn't going anywhere.  He will be back and if worse comes to worse they will franchise him.  Contract talks have been going on through the season.

Branch is a different story.  I'm not sure what to make of him staying or going.  I'm leaning toward staying.

Sections
Shortcuts