How much should Randy Moss get on his next contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Re: How much should Randy Moss get on his next contract

Well that's not true at all. Moss had some subpar years with Minnesota and Oakland, which I think have to be entered into the equation when you're talking about giving an old receiver around 10 mil a year. He has seemed to behave here, but there's some volatility in his past which should be considered when signing him again. I mean, he feels under appreciated but is one of the highest paid players on the team. He is VERY sensitive. He doesn't perform well in January and in cold weather. You can't just gloss over these things. It's about winning superbowls, not having 1000 yard years.

In Response to Re: How much should Randy Moss get on his next contract:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much should Randy Moss get on his next contract : So you are basing it on statistics from other receivers? Not on what Moss has done? If you look at Moss' numbers, there isn't much of a drop off. In fact, he's been extremely consistent his whole career. You think just because he hits 35 that he suddenly one day wakes up out of bed and is no longer double teamed? You got to look at HIS history to make a future prediction. And the question about how much football you watch is a legitimate question. Maybe you are just a diehard Pats fan, and I'm right there with you, but maybe you don't watch the other games. I know plenty of football fans who watch their team and that's it. Maybe you are one of those. My point being is that I watch almost every game every week and the ones I can't watch, I try to watch on NFL replay or DVR. I make it a point to watch how other teams are playing Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson, or Larry Fitz. I watch how the Rams utilize Steven Jackson and the whether or not Richard Seymour provides the same headaches for opposing teams like he did when he played in NE. It wasn't a question to insult you, but a legitimate one.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

And I would say that the players like Moss (as does Belichick and Brady obviously), but they could do without him in the locker room. Randy is a superstar, and he has some diva in him. I think the Pats would rather pay a lunch pail type of guy, and not a guy you constantly have to placate if he's feeling bad about himself. 

Again, I love Moss and he does terrific things for the team. But is he really THAT great of a fit here? Just think of what they could do with that money. 

[QUOTE]One other thing....generally speaking, I'd agree with you that it isn't a wise economic decision to give a 35 year old player that kind of money. Generally speaking. But in this case, we are talking about a premier player with skills that are still better than 99% of all receivers in the game. Moss is in elite company just like Brady is in elite company for QB's. Generally it isn't wise to spend almost $20 mil a year on an aging QB either, especially one with major knee surgery, but you got to look at the other intangibles. What does a guy like Brady or Moss bring to the locker room? What do they bring to the games of other players? For instance, does Moss being who he is, help Welker's game? Will it help the running game? Will it help Hernandez or Gronk? Hernandez and Gronk will probably be solid players, but they will look even better because of guys like Brady and Moss who play along side of them. History is a good predictor of future performance. I totally agree with you on that. But it isn't always accurate and in this case, we will have to agree to disagree. Moss is in a different category.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

[QUOTE]One other thing....generally speaking, I'd agree with you that it isn't a wise economic decision to give a 35 year old player that kind of money. Generally speaking. But in this case, we are talking about a premier player with skills that are still better than 99% of all receivers in the game. Moss is in elite company just like Brady is in elite company for QB's. Generally it isn't wise to spend almost $20 mil a year on an aging QB either, especially one with major knee surgery, but you got to look at the other intangibles. What does a guy like Brady or Moss bring to the locker room? What do they bring to the games of other players? For instance, does Moss being who he is, help Welker's game? Will it help the running game? Will it help Hernandez or Gronk? Hernandez and Gronk will probably be solid players, but they will look even better because of guys like Brady and Moss who play along side of them. History is a good predictor of future performance. I totally agree with you on that. But it isn't always accurate and in this case, we will have to agree to disagree. Moss is in a different category.

I want Moss on the team as much as you do. And there are exceptions to the rule, but if a GM is looking at how to spread the money in the salary cap to get the most team value, its hard to pay a 35 year old receiver 10 mill a year for 4 more years.. Bottom line, love him or not.. There are three guys I can think of that still excelled past 35, Rice, Moore and Carter. They were all more physical guys then Moss. I am not saying he can't do it, you just cant go throwing 10 million dollars at a receiver of that age unless you 100% sure the production will be there. Are you 100% sure? You could get some of the W/Rs you mentioned for close to that price. I live in AZ and love Fitz. Bottom line, I want him resigned, but economic value needs to be in line. What value would you put on Welker?? And don't say his production is all because of Moss, Troy caught 100 balls with nobody else to compliment him...If you truly do the research on HOF receivers, you will see the statistical drop off at 35 with few exceptions. Maybe Moss will be one, but to give him that much money, they better be sure. And if your worried about my football knowledge, don't be, I would be better off watching less football.. College - NFL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

2 year deal 9-10 mill per year

Will be 36 by the time the deal runs out and skills will likely have sadly diminished a bit. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

First off Moss is 33 and doesn't turn 34 until shortly after the Superbowl (Feb 13?). If you refer back to History you have to be fair and compare Moss to his class of receivers which are not just HOFers but are arguably GOAT WRs.

Rice played a long career and him at his worst was still a solid 2nd option.  Terrel Owens might not be the best "teamate" but talent alone is still one of the most feared receivers in the game.

Moss deserves to be payed around 8-10 mill per for 3-4 years by the Pats. Its good for both sides on an average of 9mil per year. Good for Moss because he gets to play the last of his best days with a team he already loves and Tom Brady. Good for the Pats because you can't get a Moss (albeit 33) for less than 10 mil per year period.

Neither one needs the other, but together each is that much better.

Make it happen Mr. Kraft...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Sections
Shortcuts