how much to sign DMC?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

how much to sign DMC?

As of now, the Patriots have seven safeties (Devin McCourty, Steve Gregory, Adrian Wilson, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon, Nate Ebner, and Kanorris Davis) signed for the 2014 season. Their respective cap numbers are $5,115,000, $3,533,334, $1,833,333, $1,150,335, $633,900, $594,150, and $495,000.

When he signed his rookie deal Devin McCourty’s 2014 salary was scheduled to be $870,000 but with a possible $3.2 million escalator for the 2014 season. Devin has done enough to increase his 2014 salary by $3,050,000 to $3,920,000. It is time for the Patriots and Devin to reach an extension. Let’s look at some comparables. Jarius Byrd is 10 months older than McCourty and played under the franchise tag ($6.916 million) in 2013. Devin McCourty who will be 27 when the 2014 starts was on the All-Pro 2nd team. Earl Thomas was also drafted in 2010 and was first team All-Pro. Like McCourty Earl Thomas is signed through the 2014 season. It could be that the Patriots, Bills and Seahawks are waiting to see who signs their safety first. Earl Thomas is a year and 9 months younger than McCourty. Eric Weddle, a fellow member of the All Pro 2nd team, signed his current 5 year $40 million deal in 2011. Kam Chancellor, yet another member of the All Pro 2nd team, signed a four-year, $28 million extension in April, 2013. Antrell Rolle, one more member of the All-Pro 2nd team, signed a five year, $37 million deal with the Giants in 2010 when he was 27. Dashon Goldson signed his 5-year, $41.5 million deal in March, 2013. William Moore signed his 5-year, $30 million deal in March, 2013. Michael Griffin signed his 5-year, $35 million deal in June of 2012. The franchise tag for safeties is projected to be right around 8 million dollars. It is likely that it will be more than that in 2015 when McCourty is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent. Therefore, if franchised by the Pats in 2015 McCourty would receive over $12 million in cash in a two-year period. If franchised again in 2016, McCourty would receive close to $22 million over 3 years. Therefore, it seems reasonable to venture that a McCourty extension in the $6 to $7 million per year average range would be fair for both sides. A 7 million average per deal would tie Michael Griffin for the 8 highest APY for a safety. An extension could lower McCourty’s 2014 cap number by one to two million dollars. Here’s one such an example of how:

Extend McCourty through the 2018 season.
    Give him a $10 million signing bonus which would be prorated over 5 years (2014/2015/2016/2017/2018)
    Lower his salary to $730,000.
    which would lower his cap number from $5,115,000 to $3,925,000 for a savings of $1,190,000.

Current cap number of $5,115,000 consists of:
    $3,920,000 salary
    $1,145,000 signing bonus proration
    $50,000 offseason workout bonus money

Proposed 2014 cap number of $3,925,000 consists of:
    $730,000 salary
    $3,145,000 signing bonus proration

Proposed 2015 cap number of $7,000,000 consists of:
    $5,000,000 salary
    $2,000,000 signing bonus proration

Proposed 2016 cap number of $7,000,000 consists of:
    $5,000,000 salary

Proposed 2017 cap number of $7,000,000 consists of:
    $5,000,000 salary

Proposed 2018 cap number of $7,000,000 consists of:
    $5,000,000 salary

If the Pats decide that they need the cap space I see them releasing Steve Gregory early in the 2014 League Year as it would free up $2.23 million in cap space. Because he played in over 70% of the defensive snaps in 2013, Steve Gregory now has a $375,000 playing-time incentive which I project to be LTBE, that is, counts against the 2014 cap. His current cap number of $3,558,334 consists of:
    $2,250,000 salary
    $833,334 signing bonus proration
    $375,000 playing-time incentive
    $100,000 offseason workout bonus money

Like Gregory, I see Adrian Wilson’s spot on the Patriots dependent on how much space the Pats need to sign/extend their players like Talib, Edelman, and Blount. The more cap space spent on that trio significantly increases the likelihood that the older and expensive veterans like Gregory, Tommy Kelly, and Adrian Wilson are all let go.

Tavon Wilson, whose percentage of defensive snaps played went from 43% in 2012 to 1% in 2013, is in danger of losing his roster spot to a rookie or first-year player earning a $420,000 salary. If Tavon is waived after June 1, the Pats would create over $350,000 in cap space.

As part of the new CBA there is a proven performance escalator for draft picks chosen in Round 3 through 7. Duron Harmon is eligible for it in 2016 . An eligible player will qualify for the Proven Performance Escalator in his fourth League Year if: (1) he participated in a minimum of 35% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays in any two of his previous three regular seasons; or (2) he participated in a “cumulative average” of at least 35% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays over his previous three regular seasons. Harmon played in 37% of the defensive snaps in 2013.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: how much to sign DMC?

DMC needs to go back to CB and get his mojo back.

He is an "OK" FS and the Pats should not be over paying for a reclamation project.

The Patriots middle has been softer than my aging gut and if they are going to fix what needs to be fixed the FS and SS is a good place to start.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

DMC needs to go back to CB and get his mojo back.

He is an "OK" FS and the Pats should not be over paying for a reclamation project.

The Patriots middle has been softer than my aging gut and if they are going to fix what needs to be fixed the FS and SS is a good place to start.

DMC is a pro bowl FS. no problem with him.

agree on SS. lots of resources spent on SS with all misses. Chung, TWilson, AWilson. Harmon still an unknown. I also feel Gregory has been miscast here, most likely should have been a sub package player but forced into more snaps due to others not performing well.

in Gregory's case, I dont think it is the players fault. I think the team is asking him to do what he is not capable to do physically

I have no issue with DMC as the starting FS and Gregory the back up FS (at the right price) and Harmon as the back up SS. Team needs to address the starting SS spot again. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I like DMC as a FS.  Our need is at SS. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

For the money that some are saying we should give DMC, a poor tackler, the Pats could pay someone like Byrd at the ~6 mil range.

I would hope the Pats don't give DMC BYRD money as at that point Byrd is ahead of DMC.

It's up to the Pats really, they can stick with light hitting, poor tackling safeties or upgrade to hitters.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Won't cost a lot 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

DMC was the highest rated safety(both positions) by profootballfocus.com. He lead the NFL in passes defensed for a safety. He was the only memeber of the PFF pro bowl team from the Patriots this season.

He has amazing range for his frame, and what fans here dont/wont understand is that the position the coaches put him in often limit his play making ability(in terms of ints etc.,) It is actually a small problem I have with the defensive coaching philosophy.  Always preventing the big play by keeping your safeties so deep and watching good QB's just own the field underneath, which we see has killed us in our playoff losses. 

Lock up Mccourty now, restructure VW, cut Gregory, Wilson, Wilson, soap, and draft another DT, safety, TE and a center. Sign Blount to a team friendly deal, and tell Talib to enjoy the rest of his career. finally if we have money left to sign Edelman.....give it to Erick Decker. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

dmc is a below average safety

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Not alot i wouldnt think. 5/25? sounds good. maybe 5/30? he would be MUCH better if he could play a more free lance FS and not play SS. he could be more of a playmaker at an actual FS spot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I really think we should watch this guy play for another year before we give him a new deal. I could care less how profootballfocus has him rated, they were the same people telling me Merriweather was the third best safety in the entire AFC.

I'm not saying he is a failure, but I'm not saying he is as good as some website is saying either. I just want to wait with this guy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I really think we should watch this guy play for another year before we give him a new deal. I could care less how profootballfocus has him rated, they were the same people telling me Merriweather was the third best safety in the entire AFC.

I'm not saying he is a failure, but I'm not saying he is as good as some website is saying either. I just want to wait with this guy.

everyone seems to worship these rankings which i think tells maybe half the story. dont like those ranks at all

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I agree with this. Bring the safeties in closer, get a true SS who can knock someone out, and let DMC freelance a bit more. He would be amazing if given the opportunity.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Ahhhh, if DMC doesn't come at a steep discount, let some other sucker pay for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Watching the guy, when he's not covering for the SS or for CB's who can't cover past the box. When Talib was 100% and McCourty didn't have to worry about both sides of the field and the box to make up for Gregory he was a great FS. The problem is we are asking him to cover 3 positions and 2 are on opposite sides of the field. Get a SS that can actually cover worth a darn and a reliable CB that McCourty doesn't ned to worry about covering both sides of the field and he's as good as any other FS out ther.

Luckily FS's cost less then CB's. $4-6mil  average per year 1/3-1/2 guaranteed on a 4-5 year deal should get it done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Watching the guy, when he's not covering for the SS or for CB's who can't cover past the box. When Talib was 100% and McCourty didn't have to worry about both sides of the field and the box to make up for Gregory he was a great FS. The problem is we are asking him to cover 3 positions and 2 are on opposite sides of the field. Get a SS that can actually cover worth a darn and a reliable CB that McCourty doesn't ned to worry about covering both sides of the field and he's as good as any other FS out ther.

Luckily FS's cost less then CB's. $4-6mil  average per year 1/3-1/2 guaranteed on a 4-5 year deal should get it done.

Ok. I'm not saying the guy is chopped liver, I just want to see more, but you bring up some good points.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatcatvirginbuttbuster45. Show phatcatvirginbuttbuster45's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

In response to APpats22's comment:

I agree with this. Bring the safeties in closer, get a true SS who can knock someone out, and let DMC freelance a bit more. He would be amazing if given the opportunity.

all is for naught if we can't keep players around due to $$

Talib, Edelman, Spikes, DMC....

If the Patriots don't re-sign Talib, it ain't gonna matter where DMC plays.

BUST-CHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you think I wouldn't do my job for this board and let them know you are the one and only BUST-CHISE, the world’s biggest and most ridiculous NY Jets Troll? That you hunt for the backsides of your neighbors kitties at night? That you carry an old rag, a torn up Mark Sanchez Jets T-Shirt, and a bottle of chloroform which you use to incapacitate your young feline victims and that it's the reason you call this BUST-CHISE persona "Phat Virgin"?

You will be known whenever you come here….this I swear to this board….the NY Jets are the worst franchise in the history of the NFL…44 years of laughable failure and ridicule, like Kellen “Vaseline Jazz Hands” Winslow….RUB-A-DUB-DUB, BUST-CHISE, RUB -A--DUB-DUB

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatcatvirginbuttbuster45. Show phatcatvirginbuttbuster45's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

As of now, the Patriots have seven safeties (Devin McCourty, Steve Gregory, Adrian Wilson, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon, Nate Ebner, and Kanorris Davis) signed for the 2014 season. Their respective cap numbers are $5,115,000, $3,533,334, $1,833,333, $1,150,335, $633,900, $594,150, and $495,000.

When he signed his rookie deal Devin McCourty’s 2014 salary was scheduled to be $870,000 but with a possible $3.2 million escalator for the 2014 season. Devin has done enough to increase his 2014 salary by $3,050,000 to $3,920,000. It is time for the Patriots and Devin to reach an extension. Let’s look at some comparables. Jarius Byrd is 10 months older than McCourty and played under the franchise tag ($6.916 million) in 2013. Devin McCourty who will be 27 when the 2014 starts was on the All-Pro 2nd team. Earl Thomas was also drafted in 2010 and was first team All-Pro. Like McCourty Earl Thomas is signed through the 2014 season. It could be that the Patriots, Bills and Seahawks are waiting to see who signs their safety first. Earl Thomas is a year and 9 months younger than McCourty. Eric Weddle, a fellow member of the All Pro 2nd team, signed his current 5 year $40 million deal in 2011. Kam Chancellor, yet another member of the All Pro 2nd team, signed a four-year, $28 million extension in April, 2013. Antrell Rolle, one more member of the All-Pro 2nd team, signed a five year, $37 million deal with the Giants in 2010 when he was 27. Dashon Goldson signed his 5-year, $41.5 million deal in March, 2013. William Moore signed his 5-year, $30 million deal in March, 2013. Michael Griffin signed his 5-year, $35 million deal in June of 2012. The franchise tag for safeties is projected to be right around 8 million dollars. It is likely that it will be more than that in 2015 when McCourty is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent. Therefore, if franchised by the Pats in 2015 McCourty would receive over $12 million in cash in a two-year period. If franchised again in 2016, McCourty would receive close to $22 million over 3 years. Therefore, it seems reasonable to venture that a McCourty extension in the $6 to $7 million per year average range would be fair for both sides. A 7 million average per deal would tie Michael Griffin for the 8 highest APY for a safety. An extension could lower McCourty’s 2014 cap number by one to two million dollars. Here’s one such an example of how:

Extend McCourty through the 2018 season.
    Give him a $10 million signing bonus which would be prorated over 5 years (2014/2015/2016/2017/2018)
    Lower his salary to $730,000.
    which would lower his cap number from $5,115,000 to $3,925,000 for a savings of $1,190,000.

Current cap number of $5,115,000 consists of:
    $3,920,000 salary
    $1,145,000 signing bonus proration

Proposed 2014 cap number of $3,925,000 consists of:
    $730,000 salary
    $3,145,000 signing bonus proration

Proposed 2015 cap number of $7,000,000 consists of:
    $5,000,000 salary

Proposed 2016 cap number of $7,000,000 consists of:
    $5,000,000 salary

Proposed 2017 cap number of $7,000,000 consists of:
    $5,000,000 salary

Proposed 2018 cap number of $7,000,000 consists of:
    $5,000,000 salary

If the Pats decide that they need the cap space I see them releasing Steve Gregory early in the 2014 League Year as it would free up $2.23 million in cap space. Because he played in over 70% of the defensive snaps in 2013, Steve Gregory now has a $375,000 playing-time incentive which I project to be LTBE, that is, counts against the 2014 cap. His current cap number of $3,558,334 consists of:
    $2,250,000 salary
    $833,334 signing bonus proration
    $375,000 playing-time incentive
    $100,000 offseason workout bonus money

Like Gregory, I see Adrian Wilson’s spot on the Patriots dependent on how much space the Pats need to sign/extend their players like Talib, Edelman, and Blount. The more cap space spent on that trio significantly increases the likelihood that the older and expensive veterans like Gregory, Tommy Kelly, and Adrian Wilson are all let go.

Tavon Wilson, whose percentage of defensive snaps played went from 43% in 2012 to 1% in 2013, is in danger of losing his roster spot to a rookie or first-year player earning a $420,000 salary. If Tavon is waived after June 1, the Pats would create over $350,000 in cap space.

As part of the new CBA there is a proven performance escalator for draft picks chosen in Round 3 through 7. Duron Harmon is eligible for it in 2016 . An eligible player will qualify for the Proven Performance Escalator in his fourth League Year if: (1) he participated in a minimum of 35% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays in any two of his previous three regular seasons; or (2) he participated in a “cumulative average” of at least 35% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays over his previous three regular seasons. Harmon played in 37% of the defensive snaps in 2013.

So...what internet article did you lift this crud from Krapper?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

If we pay McCourty 8 mill a year, I would be dissapointed. We had Rodney Harrison, granted not in his prime, but we paid him an extension of 2.4 mill a year with 2.5 garunteed bonus after dominating two playoff runs and helping us Win TWO SBs!

Now I know the market has changed and players are getting more but all the guys mentioned that have gotten big contracts are better than McCourty IMO. I like the guy but outside of keeping TDs off the board deep, he really doesnt do anything good.

He cant cover Tight ends. His tackling has gotten worse every year since rookie year when he was thumping people at the CB position(shoulder injuries). He is always gonna have problems with shoulder trying to play safety or he will just be a bad tackler like we saw last year. He doesnt make enough impact plays for me.

If we are gonna spend, why not get a real playmaker?(how many pics he drop this year?) You mean to tell me a guy that plays the back end in cover 2 is worth 8 million??? Naaaa, not even close. Call me a troll if you want but this is a mistake. We didnt even offer Eugene Wilson a contract who was a better enforcer/hitter and equally smart just not as much range. This is a mistake. Its gonna handicap the secondary. Pay Talib who is much more valuable to us..   Draft any dam FS to just play cover 2 or promote Harmon. I got news for you guys. Harmon was drafted to replace McCourty. Either McCourty loves the pats and gives us a discount or look for him to resurface in Houston same way Eugene did. Makes perfect sense for them. Ed Reed didnt work. Let someone else overpay

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

re-sign dmc and trade him for his brother

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to cellucci's comment:

re-sign dmc and trade him for his brother

Yes his bro seems to have a bright future as a CB. He was paid a nice contract last offseason. Funny thing is upon entering the league as a much higher pick and after watching Devins rookie year I was thinking, "what happened to Jason" then a year later, McCourty was berng abused and Jason was the man. Funny how careers can change once you get here. I think Jason is more agile and benefits from a better scheme in Tennessee that allows him to play agressive. McCourty was pretty good but didnt get a good jam and started getting beat at the line.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatricosbuttbuster45. Show phatricosbuttbuster45's posts

BUST-CHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you think I wouldn't do my job for this board and let them know you are the one and only BUST-CHISE, the world’s biggest and most ridiculous NY Jets Troll? That you hunt for the backsides of your neighbors kitties at night? That you carry an old rag, a torn up Mark Sanchez Jets T-Shirt, and a bottle of chloroform which you use to incapacitate your young feline victims and that it's the reason you call this BUST-CHISE persona "Phat Virgin"?

And how about all your other names BUST-CHISE ?

Among them are:

Bustify

Uncle Rico

Manning Rules

Meadowland Mike

Mile High Mike

Bungalo Bill

Wewerrdat

Fletcherbrook

Footballexpert45

You will be known whenever you come here….this I swear to this board….the NY Jets are the worst franchise in the history of the NFL…44 years of laughable failure and ridicule, like Kellen “Vaseline Jazz Hands” Winslow….RUB-A-DUB-DUB, BUST-CHISE, RUB -A--DUB-DUB

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:

DMC would be much better with another borderline pro-bowl safety next to him, a real SS and not a nickel safety destined to be a solid backup (Harmon) or another CB sized safety who should be cut (Gregory/T.Wilson).

I'd go out like 6 years. He's young enough. But only around 5 million a year. However he can get 18m guaranteed, which is the number the players care most about anyhow. When the team went 6/50 on Logan they gave him 30m guaranteed (60%). Same deal for McCourty only paying him 40% less than Mankins. 

2014 - 400k salary (25k per game), 100k workout bonus, 3m of signing bonus.

An even 3.5 million, saves the Pats around 1.5 million.

2015 - Similar, 800k salary (50k per game), 200k workout bonus, 3m of signing bonus, total cap hit of 4 million

The Pats have a 2 year window with Brady and REALLY need all the help they can get NOW. McCourtney needs to be the type of Patriot Bruschi and Vrabel have been and workout deals that help the team

2016 - 1.6m salary, 150k workout bonus, 3.25 prorated signing bonus, total cap hit of 5m

2017 - Same

2018 - 3.25 million salary, 2.25 million prorated bonus, cap hit of 5.75m

2018 - 5.25 million salary, 1.25 prorated bonus, cap hit of 6.75m

Contract is set-up nicely after his age 30 season ('17) for only 3.5 million in dead money and saving 9 million. Devin will have earned 20 million over 4 years at that point with a 2.5 million send-off and if he is still a halfway decent player would easily be able to get back that lost 7.5m in unguaranteed salary with a modest 4 year 14 million deal and 6 million guaranteed spread over first 3 years.

So McCourty saves the team 1.5m. If Gregory is cut (2m), T. Wilson after June 1st (300k), A. Wilson (1.2) and Arrington restructures to save the team 1 million. That is your 6 million for Talib right there.

The money to pay a better safety like Whitner can come from the Sopoaga savings of 3.5 million. Donte Whitner won't get quite the 30-40 million range like those guys mentioned above, he is 29 years old. But he should get like 4 years 22 million with 10m guaranteed. give him 1m in base next year and 2.5m of his bonus and there is the Sopoaga money spent.

Wilfork restructure can be split between a very good DT like Arthur Jones or Linval Joseph and stick with Wendell. Or the only interior O-lineman I would pay out big $ for in C Alex Mack and a cheap veteran depth DT like Raji.

Connolly (1.5m) and Mankins (2.5m) restructures gets you Hooman (1.5m) and Incognito (2.5m).

The Ghostkowski extension (1.5m savings) and cutting Bequette (500k) is enough to keep Blount.

Then if the Pats get 3.5 million back from Hernandez they can afford to go after a #3 WR like Emmanual Sanders or a trade and restructure situation for Roddy White, which would be awesome. Kenbrell, a 4th rd pick and a future day 3 pick based on performance for White works for me.

The 3.5 million of Hernandez's bonus goes to Blount 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

everyone seems to worship these rankings which i think tells maybe half the story. dont like those ranks at all

I used to say the same thing until I understood their system and how they achieve the rankings. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I used to say the same thing until I understood their system and how they achieve the rankings. 

well, explan it to me please, how do they work?

Sections
Shortcuts