HOW PEYTON MANNING DESTROYED OUR PATS + MADE THEM SOFT...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

HOW PEYTON MANNING DESTROYED OUR PATS + MADE THEM SOFT...

so glad belichick, and mr. kraft read this board! its obvious this post inspired them to revisit his childish 2006 decisions and return to a SCHEME and philosophy guaranteed to win for years regardless of rules, talent and what others are doing! do i get to share in the super bowl check? WHERE'S MY COOKIE? Wink post untouched:

remember the 2006 conference final when manning finally broke through with that miraculous comeback and troy brown was still the best and most clutch receiver on the team, esp after stripping the chargers of the ball on offense? something happened to our belichick right there and then. he panicked and put all his eggs in the points basket and decided to out indy the indys on offense. brought in welker than moss then stallworth, give watson a more permanent role and on and on. we also lost our coordinators so no one was there to put bel in his place in terms of hardness. 

we used to be a team that hit people in the mouth, grinded and gutted it out, ran across the middle and not ONLY took hits but give them on offense and would even outphysical other teams. that was the CULTURE. still remember the the davids getting knocked out but still making the catch and coming right back in the game with a smile only to run right back in the middle or take on another tough safety. givens was not the best WR in the league but was amongst the toughest. same with david patten. say what you want about the reche caldwells, daniel grahams, seymours, vrabels, asante samulses, ty laws, jermaine wigginses and jabar gaffneys they were tough in a traditional sense, although far less talented than a moss and even a welker. the next time moss or welker run over or outman anyone for the ball will be their FIRST time ever doing it, those guys seem to do it at least every game. now as the going gets tough, we not only get going but we run for cover under the skirt of mommy or daddy belichick!

the first 11 games of 2007 was total fool's gold as teams soon realized we had become peyton manning and indy and the way to beat us on offense was to copy our playbook versus indy, which was to beat the crap out of us. hit brady a few times and he now gets that mr. gissy-groggy look along with happy feet, moss stops running and yes, even welker  starts thinkg twice as he did versus the JETS this past sunday. toughest guy we had was stallworth and he stopped playing as we went the more finesse route with gaffney more and more. super bowl was the full gangR-A-P-E of the  pats from which we have yet to seek therapy from the-rapist or recover from. we have been in denial and in major post-traumatic shock esp when we fall behind on the road versus good offenses. keep chucking it and doing same finesse nonsense. look at the RBs. is there anyone that can actually run over anyone and rally the team around toughness? i remember antwoine smith (not great but TOUGH) routinely doing so, along with the corey dillons.

so what we scored points and broke records but we became indy. a freakin frontrunner on both offense and defense, esp as other coaches got to manup and gameplan against us they no longer feared us. we lost our smashmouth intimidation-intensity it-factor. teams used to know they were in for a skilled bruising everytime. look at the rams in the super bowl, pittsburgh in 2001 and at other times, even the ravens. didnt matter who you were, we routine outbullied the bullies and made the sanchezs of their day do dirty things in their panties even before they got on the field, forever exposing their frauditude for the whole world/league to see and game plan against. 

our defenses were no frontrunner. often undersized like the rodney Harrisons and bruschis, but it didnt seem to matter. offense often just killed the clock, moved the ball with cuts of a thousand wounds then relied on the defense to keep it close for brady and RBs to pull it out in the fourth before letting the defense boldly intimidate for one last time as in the SB versus mcnabb. we beat him up so bad he lost track of time and started calling seymour his daddy during the freakin game! 

we can have all the skilled players we want, til we return to traditional toughness and stop being the team whose QB gets happy feet and the deer in the headlights look in the crucial minutes because he cant take hits and goes long all the time and start routinely being the intimidator again rather than the intimadatee, there is NOTHING we can do to return to prominence... NOTHING! talking on both offense and defense. one Moss is fine, problem is when you have 3 or 4. one faulk or tender roney (laurence maroney) is fine, problem is when you have 2 or 3. it snowballs into SOFT! 

SOFT breaks records and makes you indy but does not win you championships or keep you consistently in big games. running the ball at will makes you tough esp right down the middle as the antwoine smiths could consistently do in the clutch when everyone knew it was coming. in the dog eat dog world, we were not the ones wearing milkbone panties. enough of the old indy model, its time for us to bring in some coordinators who believe in and have a track record of hardness and beating the helll out of other teams on both offense and defense and playing physical even at the QB position (when was the last time brady stuck his pretty face in there on 4th and inches as he routinely used to do). its the SCHEME, culture, strategy, philosophy and a few of the players that have to fundamentally change not necessarily the head coach or the QB. we will know it when other teams know it. like when a sanchez is routinely defeated even  before the first snap again... as opposed to his utter glee and comfort like the pats seeing buffalo on the schedule. i bet freakin ryan fitzpatrick cant wait to have his career game versus us too. guys like that used to catch the rodney-seymour flu just to avoid stepping out there. 

cassel brought some of that toughness, bel still has it somewhere in him. we got chung, BGE-law firm, and perhaps mccordy and perhaps mankins (anyone else?). welk is tough but he aint running over anyone (and living to tell about it). he's the one leg man in a asss-kicking contest who is the nail to the hammer... i want guys who can play the hammer and enjoy it! 

with all that said, y not go and bring in a vincent jackson? he is a skilled guy who likes the physical, in the mode of an andre johnson, which is y i rank his types higher than a moss. as the going gets tough, those guys get tougher rather than routinely fade. moss, jackson and welk would be a great combo with jackson as the LEAD. real toughness permeates baby! not against talent, against SOFT!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Re: HOW PEYTON MANNING DESTROYED OUR PATS + MADE THEM SOFT...

2001 - Good team with subpar offense
    2002 - Too many flaws
    2003 - Good players making good plays; a miraculous team
    2004 - A great team, one that is rarely repeated
    2005 - Too many injuries to overcome
    2006 - A good team that was overmatched in the playoffs.
    2007 - Hot start Patriots flamed out down the stretch with a highly impressive fluke year.
    2008 - A subpar team with a different kind of edge with Matt Cassel as the temporary quarterback.
    2009 - Disfunction, disappointing, and lack of communication lead to a very average team.
    2010 - I think this team is going to end up being very good, but there is still improvement to be had along the way.

Everything will come together in the next few seasons I believe. 2010 should be a fun year though!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

NFL has changed. thats the problem. this is no longer a defensive game. It is all about passing.

As you speak of that AFC title game in 2006, why did we lose? Oh thats right 2 FACEGUARDING PENALTIES!  Is that even a real rule? 

This is a passing league and we are still transitioning to it on defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: HOW PEYTON MANNING DESTROYED OUR PATS + MADE THEM SOFT...:
    [QUOTE]NFL has changed. thats the problem. this is no longer a defensive game. It is all about passing. As you speak of that AFC title game in 2006, why did we lose? Oh thats right 2 FACEGUARDING PENALTIES!  Is that even a real rule?  This is a passing league and we are still transitioning to it on defense.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]
    Look it up, it is. Why do people live in the past. Answer: bad losers with no life. Snap out of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Can someone tell me if this post is good reading? I opened it and saw how long it was and thought ah screw it maybe someone can summarize it for me.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]NFL has changed. thats the problem. this is no longer a defensive game. It is all about passing. As you speak of that AFC title game in 2006, why did we lose? Oh thats right 2 FACEGUARDING PENALTIES!  Is that even a real rule?  This is a passing league and we are still transitioning to it on defense.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

GUESS THATS MY POINT. WE DID NOT HAVE TO THROW THE BABY out with the bath water after 06. look at all the sorry draft choices and the total change of focus. we could have stayed the course and tweaked things a bit and still be winning. look at pittsburgh and the ravens.. give me a break. the league is and will always be about being physical, running the ball, stopping the run and scoring points while limiting the other team from scoring on you. so what other teams are choosing to throw more. doesnt mean you have to abandon what you do best. pittsburgh is exactly what it has always been. y cant we? how many rings do we have since 2004? thank you. when was our last appearance to even the AFC championships? thank you. i do like the last 2 drafts and think most of the newbies will be serviceable pros. my beef AGAIN is with the hypersoftieness! ravens still hit. when was the last stick you can remember from anyone on our team, offense or freakin defense? i watch most of the games and nothing stands out. thats the game changing my friend. others STILL do those things and are winning consistently, we dont and arent winning as consistently. no coincidence!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Guess today is clueless troll day

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"look at pittsburgh and the ravens"

- Pittsburgh not going anywhere unless they get their quarterback back and he can lead them into the postseason again.

- Ravens not going anywhere unless Flacco can show he can take it up another notch consistently. 

- We were one Asante easy interception (and many other bizarre last minute deals like the helmet catch) from winning it all in 2007, which updates the timeframe considerably and hurts your argument quite a bit.

It's a quarterback's league now. Your points are not irrelevant - though they are long winded - but you're missing a very big piece. In fact our biggest concern is whether Tom Brady can find his good mojo. If he's at the top of his game the rest of these issues can be addressed. If he's not at the top of his game the ghost of Willie McGinnest can't save us.

Would we like more toughness on D? Sure. But the Colts D wasn't all that intimidating and they won a Superbowl recently and were back for more. And while New Orleans D had a great Superbowl you can't tell me that was a tough intimidating defense. 

The problem you are having is you are infatuated with a certain kind of football - truth be told like it also - and so you want to link it to winning championships but it doesn't work. Just ask The Chicago Bears and the Rex Grossman experiment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Hi, underdog.  Nice new screen name.

The better response would be how Bill Polian destroyed our team by "emphasizing" pass interference and illegal contact, making our physical defense irrelevant.  Apparently having Earthwind Moreland, Randall Gay, and Tyrone Poole shut down his star-studded receiver-corps isn't good for the league, or jersey sales.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Right, and anyone who disagrees with you is a homer.  Get it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]sorry to say, but this guy has some valid points....123meg, Like i said yesterday, do you start any posts with anything good you bring to the table, or are you jsut taking rusty's place....anybody I ahve talked too with football experience playin, or coaching, etc..will point to a lack of running game and physical play as part of the reason we struggle....is common sense....I give you the Saints...the highest scoring team last year,,,,that comes out and tries to end you in the 1st quarter, but guess what, if it doesnt work....they have a smashmouth running game as well to compliment them...The Colts as small as they were , were very physical....Cmon and tell the truth...B.Sanders and A.Bethea, brought the wood, even tho I hate them, I call it fair....We got smacked around by the Colts in a few games....hate to say it...Its called having a succesful defensive scheme, whatever you want to say about Indys trackstar line, they get it done, they smack up the QB, and make big hits after the catch, cuz they have little safeties like M.Jackson playing CB, and we had guys like E.Hobbs....Now go ahead and call me a troll too, I could care less.....I can be honest with myself...can YOU?
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

komrade, you are on the money! completely forgot about the marc edwards of the world. could run tough, stick their noses in there for a block or in saving brady's hide, and even catch the ball while dragging a corner or two. its a much different tude. everything bel has done lately is about being more finesse and soft. 

new orleans is not a finesse defense, they are flexible one as we used to be. when they have to be or when its mano a mano, they can bring out the bigger sticks. look at sharper. i dont see guys running in his zone too often. who on the pats does any runner or receiver truly fear? perhaps chung but thats it. same with the 49ers with bill walsh. everyone yapped more about his ofense but his defenses were even more legendary. he NEVER had a team with a defensive rating of 82 (or more) which the pats had last year for 17 straight years. with guys like ronnie lott, they could dial up the physical. that becomes contagious! everyone talks about "leadership" and bla bla. our style of play quickly leads to inevitable disinterest when you start getting hit and those bombs are being defended. we get hit, and noone hits back. helll, welker gets clotheslined, faulk gets seriously injured as he is shoved out of bounds... whats the response? nothing! we are now a non-elite middle of the road punkk team. 

if this were a prison, we would be the ones being passed around and traded for cigarettes! we would be the receivers rather than the pitchers! 

AND WHAT DO YOU GET from bb, more delusional denials.. yep, we gotta coach better, play better nonsense. no, we gotta come up with a better long term approach and philosophy to recruit, scheme and teach our players in! how many more losses before reality kicks in. about sustainability. dont just do it versus the bills. come in there with a smashmouth approach and RUN the damnnn ball and throw it short. let moss clear out the middle. throw it deep once or twice to keep the defense honest or after you pass midfield. last week, third and under 10 at last gasp stage in 4th, we throw it 80 yards to moss for a laughable SOFT incompletion.     

remember the days when pats would do that inside draw on crucial 3rd and 5 and more? they trusted their lineman and receivers to outphysical anyone with $ on the table. now, not as much. without faulk, just look at our options. likely EDELMAN will be our 3rd down back or the great danny woodless. either of them bring a physical presence? this used to be marc edwards time.. isnt he in new orleans now giving them a freakin physical presense?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]AndAnd while New Orleans D had a great Superbowl you can't tell me that was a tough intimidating defense They had a good scheme and an adapting offense that could easily morph into smashmouth...we used to have it too, the point is our defense didnt lose SB in 07' , our pathetic offense failed us, as we tried to go deep every play to Moss instead of putting together solid drives...we ran w/Maroney and got a solid gain, and then scrapped it...Bad COahcing!~ and I recall when they told Brady media day at SB 07' that one of the Giants predicted a win w/ a score of 21-17, and Brady chuckled, and said "really, they only gave us 17 points...I think we'll score more than that"...turns out they could even muster up 17,. and that was the magic #, great job by the D, and they got hung out to dry, just like last Sunday...Atleast the D got a 3 and out to start the 2nd half, and then you go give the ball right back...the D will finally wither from being out there too long...Make of it what you want...But I always get angry when I think of Bradys comments....Overconfidence...just like after the game,....everyone scratching thier head...saying we are all confident...so wheres the humbleness??? And for everyone that wants to keep bringing up the fact we were one asante INT from winning it all, you obviously dont beleive in Karma....We could have had 18 chances at picking off a pass ( i think we did) and we still wouldnt have done it....That offense lost the game...and the defense should have never been n that situation...and all those needless points we put up on hapless teams...throwing deep into the 4th quarter instead of learning how to RUN the clock down...we PAID for it IMO...look, I hate the spygate thing more than enyone else...but we got what was coming to us...and IMO, judging by our overconfident offense that year...we desrved what we got...I do hate what BIll did to our team...and I dont hate Bill, I ask how does this guys coaching for 30 years all of a sudden forget that we smacke around the rams the same way..and he stopped beleiving in ball control, smash mouth and good defense.,..

preach it my brotha. preach it! karma is in the world. fact is in that super bowl we became the rams we beat up and giants were the US we used to be... period! we still could have had moss and welker and even stallworth and been a freakin physical team by keeping a marc edwards around. about being able to run it and be tough on your terms even if the other team knows its coming. same way hard work is rewarded by karma, so is innate toughness... we are SOFTIES now... masters of the kind of PANSY football we all used to despise and mock in others... yep, we could have still been 16-0 and been physical. perhaps we would have broken less records but we would have WON a freakin ring!

pittsburgh and the ravens ONLY have to keep a small eye on their QB issues to ensure immediate greatness. pats can and will not beat either team in a playoff situation regardless of where the game is with the approach we have. those teams MAY have temporary qb personnel issues, but not APPROACH or sustainability issues. easier to turnover personnel than it is to rebuke a SCHEME or philosophy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from russgrisworld. Show russgrisworld's posts

[QUOTE]Its funny how when people get objective and use their eyes and brain to make some sort of point and acutally back it up with several Valid( if not correct) points, and they always have some sort of truth to their rant, but its just wether you choose to accept it or not...but all of the people crying "pink hats" and trolls , etc, never have a valid comeback to suggest something different other than..."Your a troll",   "Go be a Lions Fan" , " I trust Bill"  , "you are not coach"  Now I am not saying I have all the answers, but atleast I make points with my rant, and believe me, nooone wants the Pats to succeed more than me, and I dont want any other coach, but I know we are better and I hope it happens...I dont WANT us to fail, and I HOPE we get it together, but for us to just call out a disturbing trend continuing from last year..is pretty fair...Its the same issues...so we can all just sit on our hands and act like everyone thing is peachy, or we could come here to discuss what we think...But for the life of me, if you dont have anything to say yourself...LEAVE and stop waiting to pounce on people's valid opinions....Its a chat board...Not ballwashing session...Have a good Day!

Maybe you can start a whole thread on this subject Pinkie. That will make everyone's day complete.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from russgrisworld. Show russgrisworld's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW PEYTON MANNING DESTROYED OUR PATS + MADE THEM SOFT... : preach it my brotha. preach it! karma is in the world. fact is in that super bowl we became the rams we beat up and giants were the US we used to be... period! we still could have had moss and welker and even stallworth and been a freakin physical team by keeping a marc edwards around. about being able to run it and be tough on your terms even if the other team knows its coming. same way hard work is rewarded by karma, so is innate toughness... we are SOFTIES now... masters of the kind of PANSY football we all used to despise and mock in others... yep, we could have still been 16-0 and been physical. perhaps we would have broken less records but we would have WON a freakin ring! pittsburgh and the ravens ONLY have to keep a small eye on their QB issues to ensure immediate greatness. pats can and will not beat either team in a playoff situation regardless of where the game is with the approach we have. those teams MAY have temporary qb personnel issues, but not APPROACH or sustainability issues. easier to turnover personnel than it is to rebuke a SCHEME or philosophy!
    Posted by KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

I don't know whether you're a Pink Hat, a Troll or another incarnation of Alcondragon but I'd like to thank you for bringing the collective I.Q. of this forum down. Everytime I read your posts I feel a little smarter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Of course the flip side of that is if you're a bandwagon fan who knows so little about the NFL that you panic after two games LEAVE and stop whining about how suddenly Brady can't play, Belichick can't coach, etc.  There's no doubt plenty of room in Red Sox chat rooms for that kind of reactionary nonsense. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Of course the flip side of that is if you're a bandwagon fan who knows so little about the NFL that you panic after two games LEAVE and stop whining about how suddenly Brady can't play, Belichick can't coach, etc.  There's no doubt plenty of room in Red Sox chat rooms for that kind of reactionary nonsense. 
    Posted by 123meg[/QUOTE]

meggy my komrade, bel CAN coach and brady can play. the pats will make the playoffs even with injuries. thats not the point. about being elite again and being able to be the intimidating king of the mountain that sets the standard for the baltimores and the pittsburghs, the indys and so on. we are not ELITE! bel right now in this scheme is NOT a genius.  

has taken many over 3 years to finally grasp the consequences
    of what bel set in motion after that conference final. it worked that first year. til the raven game, i too was on the bandwagon. was sexyy. we came we saw we kicked buttt everywhere we went.. and if your galfriend complained like the redskins did, well we just had to run 60 on ya from the shotgun with seconds left. we were able to bully with soft til the other great minds in the league started to get together and realize we were nothing but the old rams (greatest show on SOFT) . 08, there were other variables. minute bel got his TB pill again, went right back to being the queen of SOFT. we are now paying for his addiction and sorry to say we are doomed for this year (hope i am wrong). its no longer a mystery to other teams and commentators, bel and the pats are now SOFT. no more mystique or intrigue. even the sanchezes get it. u can now pick on the pats, take their lunch money and put a dress on them with full impunity esp on the ROAD (defense and offense). 

i hope mr. kraft and others will have an intervention during the inevitable lockout and finally get the SOFT crackk pipe away from bill and send him to rehab to rediscover his mojo and HARDNESS. perhaps he will get new friends that reinforce his old HARDNESS (coordinators and staff not just kisssing his SOFT assss). perhaps i should do a thread featuring the 10 step recovery program for bel. does dr. drew know football? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

Didn't the Patriots just draft/acquire a badazz courner, three monster TEs, freakin Vollmer (Hercules), Spikes,  . . . these gentlemen are big and tough.  And, they dropped Maroney, who BB was critical of b/c he wasn't dishing out the abuse that he wants.
    I mean, I wouldn't have turned down Moss or Welker when they were available.  They tried matching them with a hard nosed special teams player in Aiken, he just didn't work out.  Watson physically fit the bill, and he made some remarkable plays, he just couldn't get as consistent as a championship contender needs.
    Plus, a lot of the short yardage plays that the Patriots were becoming known for during the early part of the decade were finesse plays.  Welker is great for this team.  The team simply also needs players like Hernandez and Gronkowski.  I hope Hernandez develops into a more versitile version of Givens.  Give him a couple more weeks, Pal.
    And hey, even at the beginning of the decade, players like Mankins who won't take the farm in exchange for doing some weeding were sent packing.
    And, der, I feel pretty confident that if a player like Dillon, who has rushing records and hurts opposing linebackers becomes available, BB will try to sign him up.  Who has taken this player from us over the last couple of years?  Sometimes people talk like BB should go out to the great player tree and start picking a SB team.  He's a genius not a wizard.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

ps - welcome back rusty

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

[QUOTE]Hi, underdog.  Nice new screen name. The better response would be how Bill Polian destroyed our team by "emphasizing" pass interference and illegal contact, making our physical defense irrelevant.  Apparently having Earthwind Moreland, Randall Gay, and Tyrone Poole shut down his star-studded receiver-corps isn't good for the league, or jersey sales.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]
    Nick - this is my new (old) screen name.  I do not know to whom you are referring.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Contrarian - If you are correct, then the panic had already begun to set in.  Indy beat NE in the 05 and 06 reg season, then again at home in the 06 playoffs.  If you are correct then I guess the 3rd time was the charm.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

Indylove, be real.  the 06 playoff game was the biggest game in indy history - bigger than the SB - b/c of how good NE is and how much they have beaten Indy in the last decade even when no one else could.  Now you're going to pretend to be some cocky bastage like the poor Pats were just freakin out in your presence.
    If Contrarian's comment are right, then your Colts would have won the 07 SB if not for the poor scared Patriots beating them again.

[QUOTE]Contrarian - If you are correct, then the panic had already begun to set in.  Indy beat NE in the 05 and 06 reg season, then again at home in the 06 playoffs.  If you are correct then I guess the 3rd time was the charm.
    Posted by Indylove[/QUOTE]