How to beat the ravens

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: How to beat the ravens

In Response to Re: How to beat the ravens:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to beat the ravens : Two things here: 1) James Lofton, of all people, said the funniest thing I've heard in a long, long time during the Westwood 1 broadcast of Pats v. Donkos last Saturday: "It takes a village to tackle Rob Gronkowski." and . . . 2) Isn't somebody going to say "score more points"?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I always laugh when I read that....dunno why. Sorta like "shyt is always brown"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTSully6931. Show RTSully6931's posts

If the Ravens try to play man to man, either Gronk or Hern will abuse Ray Lewis over the middle. It's the weakest part of his game. If they play zone Tom will just pick them apart spreading it all over the field. On the other side of the ball, I agree, take Rice out of the game. Chip him when he comes out of the backfiield. Maintain gap control like they did last week and tackle well when the Ravens run. It's all a matter of execution. With Spikes and Chung in there they finally can play the way they want to and not play as soft as they did earlier in the year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If I'm the New England defense I'm so fired up for this game that I would be in a frenzy by the time the ball is kicked. You have a guy like Rex Ryan saying that Baltimore will move the ball on them, how can you not be livid about that? Then earlier in the year you have a guy on the opposing team's defense (Suggs) saying that the Patriots basically don't have a defense? I'd be looking to tear people's heads off. Add in the fact that Baltimore's offense is nothing special - it'll be cold - you're at home...

I know this will never happen and it sounds ridiculous, but I think we need to run the ball to bring the coverage in for play action. Question is, how do we do that? I got to think the Ravens will be able to shut down Benny and Ridley is in the dog house. Vareen is a guy that if healthy could catch them by surprise - he'd really be a tough guy to cover for their slower linebackers. All this guy needs is one screen pass...just one and he'd have them worried. They drafted him in the second round for a reason, he makes something out of nothing, and the middle of the field is going to be pretty clogged up - he can get outside. Never happen, I know, but it is intriguing. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think we just have to come ready to play.  Baltimore is going to come right at us, try to knock us out.  They are going to play tough hard nose football and try to catch us off guard.  They won't even be afraid to take a penalty or two if they can hit Brady hard and take him out of the game. 

If they come ready to play, stand up and push back then i think we will be fine.  Tom Brady has that extra gear as well, and as long as the Oline can step up there game too against the Ravens pass rush, then I don't see no reason why Brady ain't putting up 24-27++++  You take Rice out of the game, then good luck keeping up with that running the ball. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to beat the ravens : You're starting to come around, I see.  Nice to see. Absolutely. You give the Pats D little credit.  Expect physicality and energy, dude.    Also, I agree on the ground game because their gameplan will be 200% pass. Brady's audibiling to this will be very important and it;s why I hate empty backfield 5 wide sets. He needs to have that option because they'll play man and have their backs to Brady in coverage.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where Baltimore ranks in run defense, but it's got to be good - their linebackers are big and they have a nose tackle that is a freak of nature. I imagine it will be real hard to run on them early and if we don't get out to an early lead we will be playing the type of game they want us to....so what do we do? Run into the teeth of their defense and hope it loosens up (and that our own D hols their offense down) or spread out an old team and put stress on their slower guys?

It's pretty far fetched to think Vareen will even get within 10 yards of the field on Sunday isn't it? I wish this guy saw the field this year - he would of put a stress on an older/slower team like the Ravens. They would of been stretched pretty thin trying to worry about his outside speed and what he can do to a screen pass.

Realistically I think if we play it safe and keep them just enough off balance a guy like Benny won't screw it up by turning it over.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots defense tends to love mostly one-dimensional offenses.  In this case, 4-3 or sometimes 5-2 widebodies like Vince Wilfork and Love clog the middle, plus adding heavy linebackers like Spikes on top of that, will limit Ray Rice. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brace activated for this week.  They need extra widebodies in rotation against a heavy Ravens O-line running up the middle all day.  Last week they needed more pass rushers who could keep their lanes to hem Tebow in, and guys who could chase Tebow down on rollouts.  That's not Brace.

Double cover Anquan Boldin.

Currently there's a solid side to the Baltimore offensive line and a crumbly side.  Stunt or randomly blitz through the crumbly side and then find the quarterback or the ball carrier.  Flacco's throwing will degrade under such conditions.  Pressure him and he'll throw random balls up in the air, for occasional interceptions.

Baltimore's base defense is especially built to stop the run.  The Patriots will come out with both tight ends on the field, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're running the ball.  It merely forces Baltimore to put their base defense on the field. 

On offense, hurry up as much as possible after a couple of initial plays, to make Ed Reed and Ray Lewis utterly gassed.  They will lose a couple of steps in an oxygen-deprived condition, and then they can't cover people.  Don't let Baltimore substitute too much.  Throw at the excited guy waving his hand in the air because he's open. 

Set Gronkowski up to run into and probably run through Ed Reed a number of times -- Reed's performance degrades.  When Baltimore puts someone else on the field, he gets targeted by Brady, with a hurryup of course, so he doesn't get that much instruction from the bench when the Pats line up in an odd formation.

The Patriots don't worry about falling behind.  It has happened several times recently, and each time they simply adjusted their game plan, stepped on the gas and pulled away.  The Ravens know that falling behind is desperation time for them.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

[QUOTE]More evidence that the Ravens are really concentrating on nothing but the Patriots.  Or not.  These pranks take a while to set up properly.  It reminds me of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the early 2000s spending a lot of time producing their "Super Bowl Shuffle" video.  Great timing for the video, except they didn't win the football game. http://sports.yahoo.com/blindsided/
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Go Pats

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

[QUOTE]I think they will certainly try to contain Rice, but they may have Flacco go with a lot of short passes and will take more shots than usual down the field for big plays. I think the Ravens will be trying to create turnovers - so, the Patriots should focus on protecting the ball whoever it may be. The shorter the field for the Ravens, the better it is for Flacco. I am hoping Woodhead and/or Ridley can keep the Ravens D honest - but I don't think they'll have any success up the middle - their best hope is at the edges with Ridley or wide with Woody. I expect the Ravens to focus on Gronk and Welker, So, Hernandez and Branch will have to pick things up. In the trenches,I think Cannon and Solder will get more play time than usual, they gotta protect Brady and provide some muscle for the run game. Ravens OL will probably focus their attention on Anderson, so, I'm thinking Nink and Ellis come up big with getting pressure on Flacco.  It'll be interesting to see how much pressure BB will throw at Flacco. The more the better.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]
     Let's hope Mayo and The LB's + Ellis have a great day on the Pass Rush!
    Go Pats!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Do the Pats typically 'shadow' Rice with a LB to take him out?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to beat the ravens : I'm not sure where Baltimore ranks in run defense, but it's got to be good - their linebackers are big and they have a nose tackle that is a freak of nature. ... 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

it's the rde that concerns me more. 330-lb 34 RDEs are very rare. i don't think OLs will ever get used to playing someone like that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I think they will certainly try to contain Rice, but they may have Flacco go with a lot of short passes and will take more shots than usual down the field for big plays. I think the Ravens will be trying to create turnovers - so, the Patriots should focus on protecting the ball whoever it may be. The shorter the field for the Ravens, the better it is for Flacco. I am hoping Woodhead and/or Ridley can keep the Ravens D honest - but I don't think they'll have any success up the middle - their best hope is at the edges with Ridley or wide with Woody. I expect the Ravens to focus on Gronk and Welker, So, Hernandez and Branch will have to pick things up. In the trenches,I think Cannon and Solder will get more play time than usual, they gotta protect Brady and provide some muscle for the run game. Ravens OL will probably focus their attention on Anderson, so, I'm thinking Nink and Ellis come up big with getting pressure on Flacco.  It'll be interesting to see how much pressure BB will throw at Flacco. The more the better.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

i love when we apply pressure.
    hate when we sit back and let a qb make the passes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]We need a pass rush. If we get Flacco moving theres no way he can keep up with Brady. Pass rush kills their play action too. The next thing is Spikes and Mayo better be on their game in pass coverage. Rice likes those little passes to the flat or in the middle. I'd like to have a good rushing game this way they have to play catch up. I'll almost bet Brady comes out in the hurry up offense to start the game and get their D back on their heels.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

agreed. hope we take the ball first
    play from ahead

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

With a 4-2-5, they could use Chung down in the box to spy Rice. Basically follow Rice whereever he goes. Keep McCourty back at FS and he provides help on Smith or whomever. I wouldn't put Spikes in this role because he can't keep up with Rice. Just ask Spikes to insure no one comes through the middle of the line, keep Rice outside, and this is where Chung comes in. The 4 man line string the play out like we saw against Denver, and Chung is there waiting.
    He's also used to put a hit on Rice everytime he comes out ofhte backfield.

The Buzzards run D is very good. However, look at the San Diego game from week 15. Ryan Matthews ran for 90 yards on them, and Rivers threw for 270. They had a nice balance. Conversely, the San Diego D contained Rice for 55 yards rushing, and 50 passing. Hopefully BB looked at this game in depth to see what the Chargers did on both sides of the ball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

You know BB has watched every film out there including The Ravens last win and when they beat us years ago. He picked it a part and the team will be ready. I see Flacco getting rattled and a few strips, also Brady going into history books AGAIN!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

[QUOTE]The Ravens are working as hard as they possibly can against themselves. First of all, safety Ed Reed rewards quarterback Flacco, who actually did a much better than average job against the Houston defense, by calling him out. If the Ravens don't win Sunday it's all Flacco's fault!  That should motivate the guy. Second, Ed Reed has even more time on his hands so he tattles on Flacco's skateboarding to the Ravens brass.  Flacco has to explain to the brass why he was taking any risk at all.  This little obstacle thrown in his way should really motivate Joe Flacco to glory.  Or not. Just curious, but why isn't Mr. Reed unusually focused on next week's team?  I wonder.  Is this at all related to a trace of racism that one observer believes bounces around the Ravens' locker room? One more distraction:  anyone who wants to be self-named T-Sizzle.  At least he can live up to the rep, unlike someone named the Sanchize.  Rex Ryan once ran the Baltimore defense.  We recently saw the Jets collapse in selfish behaviors on the last game of the season, with the playoffs on the line.  Will some of the same forces tear Baltimore's players apart?
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but your post is a bit ridiculous.  Flacco needed no extra distractions from Reed to get more motivated. IF YOU WIN THIS GAME...YOU GO TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!  There is no greater motivator, in the NFL.  To blame one man for a defeat is stupid, and ridiculous.  If the Ravens lose, everyone on that team will feel responsible.  If the Patriots lose, everyone on that team will feel responsible. 

Reed is just an idiot anyway.  He needs to learn to shut his trap.  Pretty much the truth for 75% of a defense that was built by the biggest mouth in the league...Rex Ryan.

Sections
Shortcuts