How to succed in today's SOFT NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

How to succed in today's SOFT NFL

There have been a lot of articles written this year arguing that the NFL has gone soft, especially regarding rule changes beneficial to the offense and at the expense of defense. The "Brady" rule of not hitting QBs below their waists is probably a great rule for everyone in that the QB is the most important player on the field and too many were getting hurt in the last few years to ignore QB protection. This rule I don't have a problem with. Fans want their QBs throwing and not on the sidelines.

What about Defensive Pass Inteference? This re-emphasis (as Colts fans call it) of this call has taken the bite out of the game. I as a fan don't want to watch games where every pass play is followed by a camera sweep for a flag. In fact the passing rules are so offense friendly that many teams are abandoning the run completely to just pass. Actually what was the last great running team to win a SB? I can't remember either. I'll go a step further and say that even with premiere defense teams can't win anymore without a great passing attack.

So what can the Pats hope to do to compete with what is increasingly becoming a league of super-fast dome teams?  Its great that the Pats can win all their games at home in the open but they lose them all on the road and increasingly to domed teams. Do the Pats need to put a dome on Foxboro? Should they train inside all the time so they can stay healthy out of the brutal NE weather that seems to eat up players and spit them out. In short is the Old Patriot Way of playing no longer holding up to the realities of today's NFL?

I think its time the team looked at where the league is and where it is heading. NFL owners believe scoring brings in the fans and the more scoring the more fans. There isn't a lot of love out there for NJ Jet style football and low scoring games. The league and its TV partners want high score shoot-outs between one great QB and another. Is there anything so damning in evidence as the top two offenses going at it for the SB? Defense will play a part in these games for sure but not the stifling can't score kind of defense; more like the make them settle for some field goals type defenses.

I think the Pats' problems this year were that they couldn't pass effectively and they couldn't defend the pass well. That's the only sure fire way to win now. If they're smart this offseason they will look for the type of players on offense whether its linemen or skill positions that are made for the fun and gun offense. On defense similarly they need players who can stop the pass. The last thing they need are road grading running type players on offense or defense.

I love watching great running and there will be times that teams will employ it successfully. But those teams will be watching the SB at home like the rest of us. The Pats aren't part of the rule-changing committees so they can't influence hitting to become part of the game again. They can though see where the league is and where its heading and plan for that.

Can BB and TB put together another greatest show on earth? We better hope they can.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: How to succed in today's SOFT NFL

So true.  Teams need to adapt to the new rules or they will not win championships.  The league has decided this will be a pass happy, offensive league.  I can see a lot of old schoolers not willing to accept this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

"I think the Pats' problems this year were that they couldn't pass effectively"

Ummm, Brady was still one of the leagues best passers.  Moss and Welker both had great years.  Brady was 5th in passing and had 4398 yards. 

Maybe if BB hadn't dismantled the defense and sent our defensive leaders to KC & Oakland we could have beaten the Ravens in the playoffs. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsrockon. Show patsrockon's posts

Good points, also adds nicely to my feeling that a quality pass rush is now the most important thing in the game,  because even if it doesn't win the game against "these" teams,  it's the only way you have a chance.  Coverage sacks are becoming rarer and rarer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Marc W1, I don't think you can argue that this was not one of the best Pat offenses you've seen. Brady threw a lot of passes and got some good statistics but his passing numbers didn't measure up to Brees or Manning.

I don't think the players BB let some players go like Samuel and Hobbs that could definately have helped them. I'm not sure if given that same decision he would do that again. However, in the case of Richard Seymour and Mike Vrabel he knew these guys were out of gas. It appears he's experimenting with the fast look defense but maybe this is the end of the 3-4. Its a lot easier to find a guy who can rush the passer than it is to find a guy who can rush the passer, set the edge, tackle and drop back in coverage. Maybe he should leave the 3-4 to when they conincidentally have the players to run it and otherwise go with the 4-3 with heavy pass rush and nickle-type LBs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

If the NFL really wanted to equalize the game so that a pass rush would be more effective, they'd do something about the blatant holding so many offensive lineman get away with. If the refs are thought to be not competent enough to call it, then make the linemen wear a glove that has no fingers, like a modified boxing glove. They'd have to pass block by pushing, as per the rules, & not grabbing jersey like they currently do. Maybe that would inspire them to work out & get stronger, instead of being fat slobs that just hold & pull.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

>>>>Coverage sacks are becoming rarer and rarer. <<<<

That is why the Patriot's defence had to be remade. The old Belichick defencive fronts focused on setting the edge and collapsing the pocket.

Now all that matters is getting to the QB in less then 3.5 seconds with enough control not to draw a roughing the passer flag.

This busterization of football by Godell and Pollen is also causing all these 100 yard TD runs every other game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

"Can BB and TB put together another greatest show on earth? We better hope they can."

They did. It was called the 2007 season and it worked until the Giants figured out how to beat it.

Hasn't worked since.

Sections
Shortcuts