How will the pats offense attack the jets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFCMal. Show SFCMal's posts

Re: How will the pats offense attack the jets

In Response to Re: How will the pats offense attack the jets:
    [QUOTE]The short passing game. 1. It will become our version of a running game for this matchup. 2. Brady probably won't have time to throw downfield much except perhaps late in the game after their D is winded. We have some good TE's now, plus I think this is a good game to get creative with Edelman and Welker on the field at the same time.  No matter how they do it, I expect to see a lot of short passes. But, if Brady does have time to throw, he will pick them apart downfield and everywhere else.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

NFL.COM has a good video breaking down how bad the Jets coverage was, especially Cromartie. Mason was giving him an initial in or out fake and he bit everytime having to turn and catch up and ultimately making pass interference.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Just duplicate what they did in game #2 from 2009....  plus, they have an improved offense from last year!  The Jets defense...  are they improved from last year???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Moss running clearing routes trailed by Revis, Welker drawing double teams on every snap, TE benefiting from short  passes . RBs on lots of draw plays and screen plays.
    Posted by ponyoto[/QUOTE]

+1!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I see a lot of people saying how Brady will "pick apart" the Jets secondary. Well, this is true (IF) he has time. The key is the O Line...if they can protect, we will win. Pretty simple really....the games are won in the trenches...and this one is no different.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emilycuba33. Show emilycuba33's posts

[QUOTE]I see a lot of people saying how Brady will "pick apart" the Jets secondary. Well, this is true (IF) he has time. The key is the O Line...if they can protect, we will win. Pretty simple really....the games are won in the trenches...and this one is no different.
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

Spot on!!  We all know we have the receivers, it all comes down to whether or not Brady has time to find them!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

How about Welker and Edelman lined up on the same side? Keep Revis on the opposite side of the field and watch Cromar and rookie Wilson scramble trying to cover the the Double Dragons!

Moss        Light Connoly Koppen Neal Volmer {Crumpler/Gronk}        Welker
                                                                        {Edelman/Hernandez}

Brady
                              Taylor/Faulk

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

I expect to see the Pats use a lot of 2 tight end sets.

The weakness in the jets pass rush will provide 1 on 1 opportunities for our tight ends and our possession receivers (Welker, Faulk)

dboss

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]They will try to get yards and touchdowns running and passing the ball.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised more teams don't try this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

This is a no brainer. 

Pass, Pass, Pass, and Pass some more until at least a 7 point lead is established.  Do not run the ball in the red zone with Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, and Moss creating match up problems for the Jets. 

Then pound the ball for 2-4 yards at least once every set of downs the way the Ravens did.  The Pats won't be able hurt the Jets with the run but if they can get 75 yards on 25 carries they will win by 10 points or more, 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

HOPEFULLY not with an UZI!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How will the pats offense attack the jets : Spot on!!  We all know we have the receivers, it all comes down to whether or not Brady has time to find them!!!
    Posted by emilycuba33[/QUOTE]

And that's the bottom line.  That's why I think the short passing game will dominate.  I don't think Brady will have time to let many longer shots develop.  This game will be a great test for our line.  Vollmer is a huge upgrade from Kaczur (where he played last year).  If Connelly hold up well we may have a better line than last year...thus maybe Brady will have time to throw.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Why do you pull a gameplan out from last year when you have a different team this year? Will you see some of what they did in the second meeting last year with the Jets? Yes, of course. But they now have a hugely impressive, capable and veristile trio of TEs. And as you saw in the Jets first game a good TE can really help you beat this D. Frankly this trio is better than the Ravens though the Ravens are solid there.

I expect they will prepare for situational and personnel packages/matchups. Over all the key this year is to build a lead as early as you can - not to mean 'take a lot of chances early' - just look for opportunities, be smart, attack weaknesses, take what is there and when the D makes a mistake recognize it and hit them - as in throwing to Moss or recognizing the breakdown in the D and hit Hernandez, etc. Put their own D in a position where they can take away what the opponent NEEDS to do. And hopefully the special teams play (Tate and a so far unsung trio in the leading wedge on kickoffs, for example) will add to good field position football as well.

I would expect to see Moss draw critical attention - at least Revis which means he wont be covering other VERY GOOD options at WR and TE - and possibly drawing some help over the top. I would expect to see a player like Welker - and so Endleman to the extent he is on the field with all the packages they will use this year with their TEs - would be very efffective in their matchups. I would expect a few key catches by the TEs - Hernandez' agility and quickness is a good matchup in the way Welker's is... Crumpler and Gronkowski are talented receivers. And Tate is certainly dangerous when he gets his hands on the ball.

A key and a difference I am not reading much about and it has to do with the runnning games of both teams:
    1. The Patriots made a significant improvement at RT
    2. The Pats play at LG has been sound so far.
    3. The Patriots have turned the TE position into an integral, critical part of their running scheme
    4. Combing Neil, Vollmer and Crumpler/Grankowski on the strong side creates a difficult challenge for a D in stopping the run
    5. The ability of the TEs to block in space is key in opening lanes across the expanse of the entire OL
    --- these together make the Patriots run blocking much improved over last year

On the Jets side - Their offense relies on a solid running game... But here is what they have done:
    1. A singificant drop off in LG play even if Faneca was not what he used to be
    2. A noticeable drop off in RT play - Woody looks a bit shaky as a starter for an average team let alone a team that requires a solid running game
    3. They feature a receiving TE who is not especially strong at blocking and what is behind him does not seem to be at all capable of making plays in the passing game. Very very one dimensional at TE it seems at this point
    4. They lose a 1400 back who ran with the very kind of authority their offense totally requires. Replaced by a good back who can be dangerous and tough... BUT, he is haivng trouble staying on the field due to fumbles and he has not proven he can produce for 16 games with similar results even if he is on the field

It looks to me that the Patriots running game, while not dominating, is certainly improved while the Jets running game - the heart of making their O and overall approach to gameplanning, field and clock control - is noticablly weaker. Maybe too weak. Time will tell the extent to which this is true.

Circling back to Patriots Offensive gameplanning: This year, with the current roster (which cna change over a season due to injuries), they are more of a typical BB team in that they are FLEXIBLE. That have the talent to adjust to different Ds, tot ake advantage of different weaknesses and matchups. To put a personnel package on the field that can read and attack either a weakness in run D or pass D. The versatility at TE makes this more possible. The sharpness of Brady in both reads and passing efficiency makes this dangerous. The insistance on multi talents in their RBs makes this more effective. Their depth, danger and versatility at WR makes this sobering for any D. And in case someone is reading this - Randy Moss is the single most important man in this besides Brady. Just as Revis frees up personnel giving a D more flexibilty, Moss commands extra game planning and real time attention which frees up offensive personnel and helps allow the O to create mismatches. Do not under value Randy Moss in this. He makes every other WR and every TE more dangerous and keeps one or two players out of defending the run.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

Lots of Welker and the tight ends. Edelman for some short passes and lots of yac if he plays.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

portfolio....i do agree. Why use last year's game plan from the second meeting when we have additional depth at WR and 3 new TE's to play with....4 if you count Maneri, and btw, he is completely capable of being a receiving threat as well if he can pick up this offense. Moss is to me the MVP of this offense in terms of the WR position. No one can stretch it like him, and no one can take the top off the defense and demand double teams. With the Jets it could be a different because they feel like they can cover him mano e mano with Revis all day long. We shall see. 

to me, the key to us winning, like most have said, is in the short to intermediate passing game. Here is where we would use the usual suspects like Welker, Edelman, Hernandez, Gronk, Crumpler, Faulk and perhaps even Maneri. 

I get excited when I think about 2, 6'6" + TE's as bookends, possibly Hernandez/Faulk in the backfield, and Welker/Edelman in the slot with Moss out wide. I think this creates mismatches all over the place. Protection is key, but if we have Gronk and lets say Maneri plays staying home to block/chip and then release, it's going to make their LB's have to stay back all game instead of blitzing reguarly. The middle of the field remains open as some suggested, and this is where Welker/Edelman/Hernandez can work some magic. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]The way the Pats will attack the Jets defense will be with the intermediate passing game. Revis is going to be matched-up on Moss all game, which is fine. Moss will run deep routes to clear out Revis, don't expect much production from Moss. The Jets aren't going to let Welker run free either, so expect to see Welker double teamed and jammed at the line much like the Saints did last year. The difference is this year we have other weapons besides Welker and Moss. Expect to see Tate, Gronkowski and Hernandez to all have a big day. If Edelman is healthy and plays, it's going to be really fun watching Brady pick apart this Jets defense Sunday.
    Posted by randym81[/QUOTE]

I expect to see revis switch to Welker in Welker type situation....short yardage 3rd down type stuff. I also expect Brady to react by changing things up like going to a tight end when he normally would have gone to Welker. I expect the backs to mostly stay home on blitz pickup. Rex is going to blitz early and often because he thinks he can scare Brady. His ego won't let him think otherwise.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

3 words for those who believe that the Pats and Brady will shy away from Reevis. 

NO SAFETY HELP!

Moss said he worked hard on his game this offseason just to face Reevis. I expect Welker, Gronk, Aaron, Edelman, Tate and Faulk to have a field day. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

Yeah, NY is in deep trouble because their Safeties are terrible in coverage.  Big time exposure there even without Brodney Pool. lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Attack Wilson....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]Julian Edelman, Wes Welker, Hernandez and Gronk are the keys.  
    Posted by patriotsmatt[/QUOTE]

The Jets are somewhat comfortable with big dumb offensive lines and with speedster WRs running downfield.  Welker and Edelman bring a different skill set -- lateral explosion. They run five yards or so downfield and then cut left/right with enough explosion to get open.  Then they either cut upfield because Brady has set them up wonderfully, or else they deliberately get down onto the ground.  To match them the Jets need linebackers and backs with lateral explosion, which they just don't have any of.

Hernandez bodies people up like Shaq in the lane.  If you're pushing people around or blocking them out, their speed doesn't matter.  Hernandez is best guarded by a fast, agile, lightweight linebacker.  The Jets have heavy linebackers (Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, David Harris) designed to stop the run.  Sorry.  Wrong matchup.

Gronk pushes people around like an extra offensive tackle, runs like a wide receiver, and can outjump most people for the ball.  Again, heavy linebackers aren't of much use if Gronk is three yards away and pulling away.

Brady may be able to hit the deep passes but he always was an accurate short passer.   He sees blitzes as opportunities.  Rushing about 4 blitzers is said to be optimal, but it doesn't help that much.

Any one aspect of the offensive game may be shut down by a double team, but to do the job properly requires far more than 11 players on the field.  That's what will be so frustrating for the Jets' defense.  Brady spreads the ball around all over.

The Pats have a rather mobile running attack, with pulling guards and tackles plus they can add a wealth of tight ends on third and short.  The Jets' heavy linebackers are good for clogging up the middle, which is nice against teams such as Miami but which is a concern when Kevin Faulk, another lateral explosion guy, gets the football.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How will the pats offense attack the jets : Keep things unpredictable. If we go back to vanilla or only play Brady in shotgun all day long - I think we'll have problems.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

i like your thinking...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm reading that Kyle Shrimpy-Arms Wilson was horrible last week.  Baltimore would deliberately put a third wide receiver on the field and then Ryan would trot out the kid.  That's where the ball went.  Cromartie actually made one play, but Mini-Me is even worse than Cromartie.  Baltimore made 20 first downs to New York's 6 first downs, and played keepaway.

Sections
Shortcuts