Hoyer Cut

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Hoyer Cut

Yeah UD, your judging BB record because a poster on the front Burner makes a statement is all we need to know about your agenda driven presence on this board

Based on your comment you actually don't know anything.  Capy Z got it.  Its nothing to do with Belichick or Hoyer, frankly.  Its that many on this board was suggesting that Hoyer was worth a first last year and now he's cut. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Funny how this is a "no brainer" now but back during the draft we were arguing how The Pats would become irrelevent once Tom Brady retired and was no longer part of this team because Mallett was a nobody who was drafted low. 

During pre-season Hoyer was no way/no how getting cut because Mallett hadn't shown enough, wasn't ready... now in hindsight it's a no brainer.  Everything said in hindsight is a no brainer because the results are already in. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Funny how this is a "no brainer" now but back during the draft we were arguing how The Pats would become irrelevent once Tom Brady retired and was no longer part of this team because Mallett was a nobody who was drafted low. 

During pre-season Hoyer was no way/no how getting cut because Mallett hadn't shown enough, wasn't ready... now in hindsight it's a no brainer.  Everything said in hindsight is a no brainer because the results are already in. 

I think it was a pretty safe bet to say the big name/big arm sorta high draftee had the upper hand in beating out the no name street FA eventually for the backup roll if we were going with 2 QBs.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Mallet beating out Hoyer for backup duty is a far cry from him being our future QB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it was a pretty safe bet to say the big name/big arm sorta high draftee had the upper hand in beating out the no name street FA eventually for the backup roll if we were going with 2 QBs.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Mallet beating out Hoyer for backup duty is a far cry from him being our future QB.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, they cut Kevin O'Connell in favor of Hoyer too. Didn't mean too much in the end.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, they cut Kevin O'Connell in favor of Hoyer too. Didn't mean too much in the end.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure BB was eager to not have another 3rd round QB pick be a bust. That surely would be a factor if the call was close.

Bottom line is we are just talking about an inexperienced backup here anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I seem to remember a slow, noodle-armed, low draftee, inexperienced back up about 12 years ago. What was his name?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Wozzy
    Good points. Humans are quite irrational and unpredictable in their logic and moods. Self justifiacation becomes normal. Sports fans are especially this way. Fortunately, we are only talking about a QB on a football team and not a world event. 

Anyway I was one of the guys who wanted to keep Hoyer for insurance purposes till we knew what we had in him...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I seem to remember a slow, noodle-armed, low draftee, inexperienced back up about 12 years ago. What was his name?

Rohan Davey? No, that was 10 years ago.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Hoyer might get the contract he wants when some team has an injury (injuries) at QB.  BB probably did him a favor because it was apparent he was number 3 in New England.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Predicting the winning lottery numbers after they've been announced won't make you a millionaire.  Just saying...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Really, how secure as the backup could Hoyer have felt when BB took a QB in the 3rd round of the 2011 draft?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Predicting the winning lottery numbers after they've been announced won't make you a millionaire.  Just saying...

What are you predicting, Mallet will be a Hall of Famer like Brady?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'll predict that after Brady hangs up his cleats, as long as BB is still coaching, the Pat's will continue to be a top 5 team annually, not drop to the bottom of the NFL like some have predicted.

Unlike some, I've the notion that football is a team sport and the most important position that needs to be filled first is head coach.  Everything after that is the result of the coach and front office.  The best move or trade this organization ever made was trading the first for Belichick. 

With no Belichick, there's no Brady and now no Mallett...

Mallett was the most physically gifted QB in his class, he has all the tools to be an All Pro and I've said that since prior to his being drafted.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

My only concern with Mallet is decision making.  That's the key intangible for a QB in today's NFL and some guys with great physical tools never make it because they can't process the info fast enough or accurately enough in the time allotted.  So far, Mallet hasn't wowed me with his decision making, but I felt the same about Aaron Rogers for a few years too . . . I saw Rogers improve significantly over time while he waited behind Favre.  I hope that's the same trajectory Mallet is on.  Only time will tell, though. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'll predict that after Brady hangs up his cleats, as long as BB is still coaching, the Pat's will continue to be a top 5 team annually, not drop to the bottom of the NFL like some have predicted.

Unlike some, I've the notion that football is a team sport and the most important position that needs to be filled first is head coach.  Everything after that is the result of the coach and front office.  The best move or trade this organization ever made was trading the first for Belichick. 

With no Belichick, there's no Brady and now no Mallett...

Mallett was the most physically gifted QB in his class, he has all the tools to be an All Pro and I've said that since prior to his being drafted.

I haven't seen anybody predicting the team will drop to the bottom of the NFL when Brady is gone. BB is a great coach and should muster enough talent to remain respectable.

I still see them competing to make the playoffs rather than having that locked and competing for SBs after Brady. It's not like any team can lose a HOF QB and not miss a stride.

But I'll go prediction mode and predict Mallet will never be a repeat all-pro. The physical tools aren't what makes
    a great QB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:

Mallet has a lot more upside than Hoyer.  This was a nobrainer.

Wonder if Mallet has more upside than Luck?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-Fan-In-Oz. Show Pats-Fan-In-Oz's posts

I think he was just trying to be funny. Sure made me laugh.  : ) 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-Fan-In-Oz. Show Pats-Fan-In-Oz's posts

Okay... this new format has some issues.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-Fan-In-Oz. Show Pats-Fan-In-Oz's posts

Wow the word ban list is out of hand a single letter is 'bad'? C'mon word Nazi's

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Instead of starting my own self aggrandizing thread, I'll accept all the praise and adulation here instead for stating this a month before pre-season began, along with stating that Mallett would be the QB of the future the day he was drafted.

I won't be referring to myself in third person though...

if you called that good on you. my memory is not that good to remember those that did.
    i dont know why you had to go all judgemental on anyone else who rememebers making a call that is working out (aint nothin wrong with that, its part of the sports fun and a lot of what we do on the draft thread without bashing each other for it).  by the way, we are'ent there yet with qb of the future, though he has made it to backup which is a step. he looked better than hoyer against pressure. he needs to have the game slow down for him still, make more consistent good decsions and more consistent accuracy in his throws. lets hope he can.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No problems with any of these cuts so far, because cutting Hoyer opens up a spot for another player that we may of had to release. I can't stand it when teams hold onto three back up quarterbacks when none of them can really play.

agreed

I'm a bit surprised they cut Koppen with the lack of quality depth on the line, but at the same time he did prove he's got nothing left.

agreed

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure BB was eager to not have another 3rd round QB pick be a bust. That surely would be a factor if the call was close.

Bottom line is we are just talking about an inexperienced backup here anyway.

[/QUOTE]

When you make a third round pick that is true. But once the pick is made it doesnt matter in the least. Either as guy is good enough to make the team or he isnt. And it doesnt matter what position the guy plays.

ONE THING you can say about BB - he is partial ONLY to putting together the best roster he can. He makes msitakes like others but he gets it right more than most others.

Sections
Shortcuts