Hoyer, Mallett and Roark

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Hoyer, Mallett and Roark

I was convinced Hoyer would be traded during draft week.

I'm still convinced he will be moved at some point.

Why bring in Roark?

He ain't sticking as a WR....

He ain't sticking as the 4th QB...

If you look at his High School career he was a "decent" QB, he really was.

Big, solid kid.

So Hoyer gets moved to a Team needing QB help during training camp, Mallett moves up to #2 and Roark makes the team as a WR, ST, and 3rd QB.

BB gives the kid reps at QB to see what "develops"

Possible or should I go get another cup of coffee?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Hoyer, Mallett and Roark

There's a couple of reasons you bring the kid in as a potential WR

1) He most likely will make it through waivers and onto the PS

2) On the PS he can get the D prepared for quicker more athletic TE's (like Hern) or large possession WR's which brings a lot of value to the PS

3) The kid hasn't been a WR for all that long and has potential to develop into a large possession WR

All this basically says there is no risk to see if he can develop as a WR and actually adds valuable practice reps for D players during the week.

Now with Hoyer, Hoyer is game manager. A arm like a wet piece of spaghetti but he's a game manager. Mallett has an arm like Bledsoe, but from reports can't control it in short and intermediate routes. Given, BB's pension for not turning the ball over and making smart football plays I see why Hoyer would be BB's preference at this time to back up Brady. Hoyer might not win you games but he won't lose you games either. Mind you I'm not making a direct comparison but, from playing styles coming into the league Mallett is very similar to Bledsoe (gun slinger with a cannon for an arm that can't move in the pocket) while Hoyer is like an 01' Brady (doesn't have a great deep ball but a good pocket presence, good game manager, and can make those touch short and intermediate throws). If Mallett shows a little more touch and grace in the short and intermediate throws, instead of trying to gun everything in, then I don't see Hoyer around next year. But if Mallett can't progress we all might be shocked to see Mallett not on the team and Hoyer still having a job in 13'

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

PatsEng - nailed it on Roark. He also has an uncanny ability to block punts/kicks so you see if he has anything else he can bring to the table. I don't think the team has any interest in him as a passer at all.
    I think Mallett has somehow been classified as just a gun slinger by some people. Yes he has a rocket arm, but he had good accuracy and decent touch as a prospect coming out of college. He is definitely not a threat to run, but neither are Brady or Hoyer. Speed for a pocket passer is a greatly overvalued commodity.
    Hoyer's arm is not a wet piece of spaghetti! :-) But I grant the point that it is not his selling point. I could see him being moved this year for the right price (3rd or 4th rounder) if some team gets desperate before the trade deadline. I suspect there will be a mild market for him next year - not sure the Pats will be willing to spend what he can get elsewhere or that he will want to come back with no chance of winning a starting shot.
    I will not be surprised if they bring in a QB for the practice squad as a possible 3rd QB next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Neither Hoyer nor Mallett are being traded, unless some team out there has a GM who is an incompetent moron....Mallett has a grand total of 0 regular season nfl snaps, and Hoyer has a whopping 43 passes and 1 touchdown to his name.  There is absolutely nothing to go off, these guys have 0 trade value.  Maybe a 6th or 7th for Hoyer, maybe.  But he's worth more to NE, so why even try to move him now.  I saw a thread before the draft suggesting that NE could move into the top 7 with a trade package including Hoyer, and I just about passed out laughing.  Absurd....Let's see how he looks this season, then we'll have a serious conversation about it.  Until then, neither of them have an ounce of serious trade value.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

nomorepensionlooting- go get another cup of coffee. Hoyer isn't going anywhere.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Hoyer Mallett stay

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think they cut Hartline in order to re-sign him to the PS provided Denver doesn't snag him as a back up,he does have a history with Goober having worked with him in Indy. Either way we still have Edelman as a reserve b/u...Roark is nothing more than WR/ST preseason fodder and maybe PS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Hoyer, Mallett and Roark:
    I was convinced Hoyer would be traded during draft week. I'm still convinced he will be moved at some point. Why bring in Roark? He ain't sticking as a WR.... He ain't sticking as the 4th QB... If you look at his High School career he was a "decent" QB, he really was. Big, solid kid. So Hoyer gets moved to a Team needing QB help during training camp, Mallett moves up to #2 and Roark makes the team as a WR, ST, and 3rd QB. BB gives the kid reps at QB to see what "develops" Possible or should I go get another cup of coffee?
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting

Don't forget Hartline, he's actually the #4 QB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In Response to Re: Hoyer, Mallett and Roark:
    In Response to Hoyer, Mallett and Roark : Don't forget Hartline, he's actually the #4 QB
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Hartline's been released.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Roark is an eighth rounder.  He stays at the pleasure of the boss.  That said, he's 6'5" and has some explosion. 

He also has moxie and possibly can learn anything quickly.  He was carried off the field by his teammates after walking on stone cold into the quarterback position and beating the school's big nemesis.  As a once in four years quarterback he ran for over 100 yards playing the option.  He threw something like 3 passes that day so don't put him in Mallett's field just yet, much less Brady's. 

He's perfect for the practice squad, because nobody else in the NFL would put him on the 53 man roster this September.  The only question is what position he can play.  He only runs a 4.7 40.  Running back?  Linebacker?  Tight End?  H-back?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Neither Hoyer nor Mallett are being traded, unless some team out there has a GM who is an incompetent moron....
    Posted by andrewmcintosh

The both of them are so gone!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I also a recommend a refill on the coffee.  Neither Hoyer nor Mallett are really trade material since neither has much of an NFL resume. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

if roarks first name was howard i would have to keep him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Hoyer, Mallett and Roark : Hartline's been released. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4722271/qb-hartline-cut-wilson-signing-official
    Posted by NCPatsFan1971

oh.

Roark won't be playing QB.

Sections
Shortcuts