Hurrah for Dan Snyder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Hurrah for Dan Snyder

In response to darwk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

OMG that's so offensive. Everyone knows San Francisco are the Faries not Chinamen, I suggest you change it now. The Seattle Chinamen wouldn't be bad though

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

OMG that's so offensive. Everyone knows San Francisco are the Faries not Chinamen, I suggest you change it now. The Seattle Chinamen wouldn't be bad though

[/QUOTE]

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I kind of like the Seattle Glow. They have the bright green glow in the dark color already, and by using the term Glow, they are paying tribute to the nuclear meltdown in Fukashima that will light up SEattle and the west coast before long.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps BB takes offense to your use of his photo as your avatar.

You should probably change it to something less offensive.

[/QUOTE]

Right. The difference in having a photo paying tribute to a person versus using derogatory images and racist references to a race or ethnicity is lost?  Uh huh. What does anyone have to lose by losing their bigotry?  Decency. How hard is that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Snyder isn't making a principled stand - he's fighting for what he perceives is brand value he doesn't want to lose. It's purely a financial agenda for him. I'm baffled by anyone who would think he is fighting the good fight. He's doing the billionaire thing. He's pretty good at it but aside from some stick in the muds and some bigots there's not much more on his side of this. 

The Redskins will not be the Redskins in a few years. Just like there won't ever be a team call the N word or a team called the K word (think Judaism to get my reference) or the F word (sticks of wood). This is not hard to understand.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right. The difference in having a photo paying tribute to a person versus using derogatory images and racist references to a race or ethnicity is lost?  Uh huh. What does anyone have to lose by losing their bigotry?  Decency. How hard is that?

[/QUOTE]

All I was saying is that "YOU" are making a determination of what is offensive to someone else just as those that are saying Redskin is not offensive to them.

You say it is tribute to BB and I am sure you believe that whole heartedly. Unfortunately you do NOT know if BB would consider it the same. It is just goofy example but the point is valid.

"YOU" say tribute, he might not. The Redskins could say it is tribute too, or some other reason that seems valid to them that they whole heartedly believe in.

The fact that it is race or ethnicity , to me, is less important than the root of the problem that is that "something" is offensive to "someone". That will always be the case is what I think. Make up whatever reasons "why" something is OK or not OK but someone is still thinking for someone else. We will never make all of the people happy all of the time I guess.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Snyder isn't making a principled stand - he's fighting for what he perceives is brand value he doesn't want to lose. It's purely a financial agenda for him. I'm baffled by anyone who would think he is fighting the good fight. He's doing the billionaire thing. He's pretty good at it but aside from some stick in the muds and some bigots there's not much more on his side of this. 

The Redskins will not be the Redskins in a few years. Just like there won't ever be a team call the N word or a team called the K word (think Judaism to get my reference) or the F word (sticks of wood). This is not hard to understand.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. It's a branding issue and a business issue to them not a bigotery issue. Once there are enough people complaining and lowering the value of the brand the name will change simple as that. Frankly I think it might be better for the Redskins to find a local tribe and use their name. They'd essentially keep a similar image and wouldn't need a major rebrand but would be more PC friendly. Say the Washington Manahoac's. The tribe no longer exists so no one can be offended

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am offended that you posted something that offends you. 

[/QUOTE]

lol exactly

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All I was saying is that "YOU" are making a determination of what is offensive to someone else just as those that are saying Redskin is not offensive to them.

You say it is tribute to BB and I am sure you believe that whole heartedly. Unfortunately you do NOT know if BB would consider it the same. It is just goofy example but the point is valid.

"YOU" say tribute, he might not. The Redskins could say it is tribute too, or some other reason that seems valid to them that they whole heartedly believe in.

The fact that it is race or ethnicity , to me, is less important than the root of the problem that is that "something" is offensive to "someone". That will always be the case is what I think. Make up whatever reasons "why" something is OK or not OK but someone is still thinking for someone else. We will never make all of the people happy all of the time I guess.

[/QUOTE]

The photo/poster of the caps is from the American Congress of the American Indians. It is in small print under the picture. Fact is it is offensive to a race of people to be dehumanized- made into cartoon characters for sports teams to rally around. Honestly we need to evolve in our thinking. There are many many options to name a sports team that doesn't involve racist references. This is not difficult. 

I don't agree with the equivalency of sing a BB public photo as an avatar- and having the Washington REDSKINS the name of an NFL team.  Redskins promotes stereotypes and exploits an indigenous culture that is invisible to most Americans other than these offensive caricatures.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

The photo/poster of the caps is from the American Congress of the American Indians. It is in small print under the picture. Fact is it is offensive to a race of people to be dehumanized- made into cartoon characters for sports teams to rally around. Honestly we need to evolve in our thinking. There are many many options to name a sports team that doesn't involve racist references. This is not difficult. 

I don't agree with the equivalency of sing a BB public photo as an avatar- and having the Washington REDSKINS the name of an NFL team.  Redskins promotes stereotypes and exploits an indigenous culture that is invisible to most Americans other than these offensive caricatures.

[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity would you make the same protests for the fighting Irish of Norte Dame?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Sorry, but this political correctness crap in this country has gone WAY too far. Nobody on the Redskins is using the team name in a context that should offend anyone....it's a freaking football team...get over it.

The political correctness is the pussification of america. What the heck ever happened to mind your own business??? Don't like something? Turn the other way!!

I do not support racism in any way shape or form. But to make others change their ways because you are OVER SENSITIVE is absolutely ridiculous.

Just so tired of being told how to act and what to say. Don't like it? Don't listen. Don't like the way it looks? Don't look. This has nothing to do with disrespecting anyone. This has to do with people trying to fix this imperfect world instead of accepting it, and minding their own damned business....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

This is not about politcal correctness. It's about racism.  I repeat a football team does not have to use a race of people as it's name/mascot. Redskins has a long history of association with not only mocking a race of people but genocide. This association should be repudiated by all Americans.
     Native Americans ARE offended by this association. It's not rcoket science- again it's the decent human thing to do - get rid of the racist associations in sports.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity would you make the same protests for the fighting Irish of Norte Dame?

[/QUOTE]

I find the use of Redksins much more offensive than "fighting Irish".  But good point - obviously an ethnic sterotype. I prefer the Celtics leprechaun-- which is a great example of how a sport tean CAN use a mascot approapriately.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have a lot of guts calling people who don't agree with you a bigot,you louse. AND remember, you started the name calling.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]

This is not about politcal correctness. It's about racism.  I repeat a football team does not have to use a race of people as it's name/mascot. Redskins has a long history of association with not only mocking a race of people but genocide. This association should be repudiated by all Americans.
     Native Americans ARE offended by this association. It's not rcoket science- again it's the decent human thing to do - get rid of the racist associations in sports.

[/QUOTE]

That statement about Native Americans is basically false. Recent polls indicate otherwise.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have a lot of guts calling people who don't agree with you a bigot,you louse. AND remember, you started the name calling.

[/QUOTE]

Whoa why the hostility? I did not call any poster on this thread a bigot. My opinion is that using the skincolor of a race of people promotes bigotry.  I do agree that resorting to name calling is a lousy way to get anyone to undertand how something is offensive. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry...I disagree. This has everything to do with over sensitive people crying over nothing. Nobody is using the term "redskin" towards anyone else. It's not being used in any kind of offensive context. It's a sports team. Are we going to change the name of all the teams with birds as their team name because some bird hugger is offended over it? Spare me.

They are not poking fun at this race, they are not saying anything offensive, they are not attacking or promoting any type of racism. It's simply a team name. This is no different that the a$$holes that want people to call Christmas trees "Holiday" trees so they don't offend someone. Give me a break.....it a freaking Christmas tree. Just like it's a freaking sports team name......my God, these folks need to find something better to do with their time other than cry over something so absolutely meaningless. What a waste.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That statement about Native Americans is basically false. Recent polls indicate otherwise.

[/QUOTE]

The poster was created by Native Americans, a Native American tribe is challenging the use of "Redskins" as appropriate. And the oft mentioned poll you cite is seriously flawed. Did not sample a significant # of Native Americans and did not go to reservations throughout the country. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I find the use of Redksins much more offensive than "fighting Irish".  But good point - obviously an ethnic sterotype. I prefer the Celtics leprechaun-- which is a great example of how a sport tean CAN use a mascot approapriately.

[/QUOTE]

Oh so the the leprechaun and the fighting Irish (which was designed to look like a drunk leprechaun btw) is a realistic depictation of the irish people? It doesn't matter if you feel it's much more offensive or not the point is what you described as the reason the redskins are offensive (cartoon, stereotype) is in use in the Celtics and fighting irish but you deemed it less offensive. So why is one less offensive than the other? Is it because you don't relate to irish people? Point being you don't see one as offensive in the least yet you are claiming the other is and the reasons why you list it as offensive can be applied to the same team you deem not offensive.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whoa why the hostility? I did not call any poster on this thread a bigot. My opinion is that using the skincolor of a race of people promotes bigotry.  I do agree that resorting to name calling is a lousy way to get anyone to undertand how something is offensive. 

[/QUOTE]

YOU SAID PEOPLE WOULD LOSE THEIR BIGOTRY. DON'T PARSE WORDS IN A CLINTONIAN MANNER.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry...I disagree. This has everything to do with over sensitive people crying over nothing. Nobody is using the term "redskin" towards anyone else. It's not being used in any kind of offensive context. It's a sports team. Are we going to change the name of all the teams with birds as their team name because some bird hugger is offended over it? Spare me.

They are not poking fun at this race, they are not saying anything offensive, they are not attacking or promoting any type of racism. It's simply a team name. This is no different that the a$$holes that want people to call Christmas trees "Holiday" trees so they don't offend someone. Give me a break.....it a freaking Christmas tree. Just like it's a freaking sports team name......my God, these folks need to find something better to do with their time other than cry over something so absolutely meaningless. What a waste.

[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your rational discussion and defense of your opnion. I guess we can agree to disagree.  Using the term "Redskins" for an NFL team is mocking a race of peeple. People who are Native Americans have gone on record to describe how "redskins" is  offensive and racist. "Redskins" makes a person less than human- American Indians were literally hunted down using this term and murdered enmass. Now the term is supose to be cute? Endearing?  I don't see it that way at all. We're talking about human beings. Birds and humans are not the same.

There are so many other options that don't degrade or offend.

As far as the holidays go. Comparing apples and oranges.  There is a distinction between a term meant to degrade and dehumaize and a debate on  holiday naming of trees.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photo

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

YOU SAID PEOPLE WOULD LOSE THEIR BIGOTRY. DON'T PARSE WORDS IN A CLINTONIAN MANNER.

[/QUOTE]

You don't have to yell. You're right. I did say changing the name of the team would asit in people losing their bigotry. I think referring to a race of people by their skin color is bigoted. And the refernce of "redsKins" in this country unfortunately has a very long history of racism and bigotry towards Natie Americans.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

How about changing the name to the Washington Porkers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

[QUOTE]

He should change the name of the Redskins when hell freezes over!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Darn thread won't let me edit my posts today. Here's information on where the term "redskins" orginated and why Native Americans find it offensive by a Native American.

I believe we are way overdue to stop the practice of using a this kind of racist language, and using a race of peeple as mascots.

The Term Redskin

Dear Editor; It was brought to my attention that some were asking if the term "redskin" was really offensive to Indians and that they would like to hear from us on this subject. Well, here you are...I am Blackfoot, Cherokee and Choctaw...and yes, the term is extremely offensive to me. Let me explain why. Back not so long ago, when there was a bounty on the heads of the Indian people...the trappers would bring in Indian scalps along with the other skins that they had managed to trap or shoot. These scalps brought varying prices as did the skins of the animals. The trappers would tell the trading post owner or whoever it was that he was dealing with, that he had 2 bearskins, a couple of beaver skins...and a few scalps. Well, the term "scalp" offended the good Christian women of the community and they asked that another term be found to describe these things. So, the trappers and hunters began using the term "redskin"...they would tell the owner that they had bearskin, deer skins....and "redskins." The term came from the bloody mess that one saw when looking at the scalp...thus the term "red"...skin because it was the "skin" of an "animal" just like the others that they had...so, it became "redskins". So, you see when we see or hear that term...we don't see a football team...we don't see a game being played...we don't see any "honor"...we see the bloody pieces of scalps that were hacked off of our men, women and even our children...we hear the screams as our people were killed...and "skinned" just like animals. So, yes, Mr./Ms. Editor...you can safely say that the term is considered extremely offensive.
    Tina Holder
    Mesa, Az.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

They put up the barriers to tell you it's closed since people might vandalize the monuments since all but one of the security staff is gone. And what's shanked since Obama became president? The Tea party?

[/QUOTE]

Ha. Okay, if that is what msnbc or CNN are telling you, then I guess it is fact. 

look, I am not a tea party supporter,repub or demo. But you are seriously asking what's shanked? The list is numerous, but lets start with 17trillion in debt and another call to raise the debt ceiling...maybe we could start another thread on this and discuss. I don't want to bore others here.

[/QUOTE]

I know you watch Fox news listener since you're spewing Republican talking points. Raising the debt ceiling means the Government ran out of money to spend for the year and now they have to burrow money to spend. We don't burrow that money and we can't pay our interest or monthly debt payment, we don't pay that and we lose our credibility financially. We lose that and our dollar loses value, our dollar losing value raises the debt and makes paying it much harder. 

Sections
Shortcuts