Hurray for Roger Staubach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Hurray for Roger Staubach

Good for Staubach for speaking openly about something that has clearly gone too far. I understand the league believes fans want more scoring with their scoring, with some scoring sprinkled on top and a side-dish of scoring (although I'm not sure the league believes correctly), but the more players are taken out of the game and officials (and replays) dominate the action, the more disgruntled those same fans will become.

I'm not sure what the solution is. With Big Brother constantly over their shoulder, officials look increasingly incompetent no matter what they do or do not call, and handcuffing the defenses hasn't made the game more exciting, it's simply littered it with flags.

Look at Green New Jersey.

This is the team the league and it's hucksters clearly want you to believe is the model for defense the way it should be played. And yet when they go out and play aggressive, physical defense, all you see is a field littered with yellow laundry. I would like to believe that, at some point, the rules will swing back a little bit in favor of the defenses . . .   but if that happens at all, we're going to have to wait at least until P. Manning rides off into the sunset.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

In Response to Hurray for Roger Staubach:
    Roger Staubach has a real problem with the way the NFL has turned into a flag football league. He thinks the Refs are throwing way too many flags. He said something like last season Peyton Manning had a great last minute comeback drive but it included two 15 yard roughing the passer penalties. Throw in a 40 yard pass interference penalty and this isn't football anymore. Sure there's room for attempting to keep the QB healthy but the league needs to let the WR and CB compete for the ball! Unless there's holding the refs should let them play. Way too many cheap penalties against DBs. It ruining the game.
    Posted by RonF

Update:

Bill Polian now has ordered a hit on Roger Staubach.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Pass interference should only be 15 yards, period. The game cant end on a defensive penalty so that would help eliminate some of the intentional fouling at the end of a game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Hurray for Roger Staubach:
    last season Peyton Manning had a great last minute comeback drive but it included two 15 yard roughing the passer penalties. Throw in a 40 yard pass interference penalty Posted by RonF

that's how the colts have been winning in the past, pay off the officials

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Hurray for Roger Staubach:
    In Response to Hurray for Roger Staubach : that's how the colts have been winning in the past, pay off the officials
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Conspiracy theory again. That's old. You show your admiration to that organization every time you make such a comment. Maybe you feel that Peyton is the best QB in the league. Just move  on. Sour grapes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree the Refs are to Flag happy at the NFL level. I have stated before I played through Div.1AA and have now officiated football from High School through Division 1A. I have a big problem with the rules the NFL plays by. I am happy doing what I do and I will never accept an invitation to take my "game" to the next level. There are several good officials out there at the NFL level who "look the other way" to try to let the DB's and WR's in particular play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Hurray for Roger Staubach:
    Pass interference should only be 15 yards, period. The game cant end on a defensive penalty so that would help eliminate some of the intentional fouling at the end of a game.
    Posted by Philskiw

Absolutely agree. Fifteen yards and a new set of downs is penalty enough. There should never be any forty yard penalties.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, nothing more than 15 yards. The issue I have with placing the ball at "the spot of the foul" is that it assumes the WR makes the catch every time. That simply isn't true, especially given all the ticky-tacky INF calls they make. I mean the slightest arm bar does not prevent a WR from catching the ball, let alone some of the calls on passes that are 5-10 yards away and would have been uncatchable anyhow. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Need better Refs...

NBA average salary:  128,000
    NHL  average salary:  139,000
    MLB  average salary:  141,000

NFL average salary: 27,000

Granted less games, but it does tell something...                      

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

>> NFL average salary: 27,000

wow. How do they pull that off.

Dish Network

Sections
Shortcuts