Hypocrisy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Hypocrisy

In Response to Re: Hypocrisy:
    [QUOTE]I have seen plenty of plays where a player was flagged for helmet to helmet that occurred only because the offensive player made a sudden change in the location/direction of his head or body, etc.  These, imo, don't qualify as fouls.  These are the "speed of the game" hits that are going to happen at times and simply are a part of the game.  Merriweather's, imo, was not that.  I don't assume that he could have stopped himself from hitting Heap (although he was late on the play), but I believe he premeditated his head hunting mission and delivered as bad a hit as any of the big hits that took place yesterday. 
    Posted by Indylove[/QUOTE]
    I disagree that is what happened here. Meriweather went to hit him at a spot. Brandon Spikes though was hitting Heap at the same time, moving where Heap ended up. It was just very bad luck that Meriweather hit him the way he hit them.

Also, this hit is not comparable to the one to Welker. Meriweather hit to Heap. He was aiming where he expected Heap to be and was wrong because of Spikes. Welker though was decked high, in a one on one play where the defensive player knew where he was and it didn't miss his target. He also hit through him instead of to him like in Meriweather's case.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hypocrisy : Agreed But what makes you judge MerriWhether like that Is it his stature? Kind of diminutive compared to Harrison Voice? Kids voice is like nails on a chaulk board Leadership? You heard him in the pre season... The kick that got him suspened @ Miami? Clearly a character issue The Gun incident? could be sean as a thug EW, something tells me it is not his play????
    Posted by tagandtrade[/QUOTE]

That not it at all and I mean that in all honesty. I expected Meriweather to become a top flight Safety and in My opinion he hasn't progressed any since his second season. I think he is where he is and if the Pats traded him this afternoon for a draft pick it wouldn't phase me. As far as the Gun thing, I'm an NRA supporter and I never judge kids for making stupid decisions because I've made plenty. Take a look at the replay..That's not the only time he launched to spear someone yesterday. It's a dumb play, that's all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I am very happy with the way the way Chung AND Merriweather are playing the game. I think we have put our 2 best safeties back there and they are going to hit people. Chung saved a td the 1st play of the 4rth qtr when he separated Mason from the ball with a Rodney type missile. Merriweather had 2 of those as well and in no way should he have been flagged for the 2nd hit. (5 yards) It was a bail out call for the refs as they appeared confused as to why they threw a flag and then deliberated for a minute before deciding. Merriweather met the player at the ball and hit him. A totally clean hit. I am excited for what this defense can do as they grow together!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

I'm fine with what Meriweather did why IT'S FOOTBALL!!!  also those hits are going to happen to our guys too. What you think if we don't hit they are not going to hit hit us?. Yes it was penalty and I'm fine with too. Why? our secondary ain't soft anymore is it fellas, we're smackin people and I'll take a 15 yarder to gain that rep.

*Jim Leonard hit was not a penalty

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Bring em on. I want people to fear catching passes over the middle. If it results in a couple penalties, it's the cost of doing business, and if guys like Heap want  to go over the middle, they should know that they could get decked.

People calling this a cheap shot are hypocrites indeed. It wasn't even that high, and it was also only because Heap fell into it. 

Heap didn't complain. The Ravens didn't complain. Why? Because they understand it's the game of football. 

Hearing people here complain, especially fans from teams not even involved in the game, and teams that harbor head hunters on their own roster, is merely a study in subjectivity. 

Very few hits in the NFL are uniformly cheap. I can probably think of five over the past few years that looked clearly out of place. Only one against the Pats, and that was the Ike Taylor job on Welker where he launched himself at his spine after the ball had already sailed over WW's head. 

This one wasn't even close to that. Most of the judgment calls by fans are referendums on whether you like a player or not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I like the idea of wide receivers being intimidated by the Pats safeties. 
    If they think that at any time they may get decapitated that's fine with me.
    I want to see a defense that other teams will FEAR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Also, a D that can get off the field on 3rd downs.  It looks like they made some strides in that department at the end of the game and into OT.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I agree that a lot of fan opinion around here is based on their personal like or dislike of a player.  I don't know why Meriweather tends to elicit a lot of negative posts, because the guy makes some pretty good plays too.  He needs to stop trying to be the hit stick on every play and just make the tackle when the situation warrants it.  I still think the hit on Heap was questionable, but at the end of that game I'm sure Boldin, Heap and Mason all had their eyes peeled for #31, and how can that be a bad thing for the Pats D?  You think Davone Bess won't be looking for #31 when the Dolphins come up here after he got posterized last game?   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I don't care, I bet Heap won't take his legs off the field to try to make another catch like that. 

That's what the Pats have been missing since Rodney left. A player that isn't going to have some idiotic WR or TE thinking he can run up the middle of the field and get away with catching a 15-25 yard pass. 

Take off the skirt, Ravens. And tell that idiot Heap not to dip his head down in mid-air. Just look at Heap at 0:10. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

[QUOTE]I agree that a lot of fan opinion around here is based on their personal like or dislike of a player.  I don't know why Meriweather tends to elicit a lot of negative posts, because the guy makes some pretty good plays too.  He needs to stop trying to be the hit stick on every play and just make the tackle when the situation warrants it.  I still think the hit on Heap was questionable, but at the end of that game I'm sure Boldin, Heap and Mason all had their eyes peeled for #31, and how can that be a bad thing for the Pats D?  You think Davone Bess won't be looking for #31 when the Dolphins come up here after he got posterized last game?   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

[QUOTE]I don't care, I bet Heap won't take his legs off the field to try to make another catch like that.  That's what the Pats have been missing since Rodney left. A player that isn't going to have some idiotic WR or TE thinking he can run up the middle of the field and get away with catching a 15-25 yard pass.  Take off the skirt, Ravens. And tell that idiot Heap not to dip his head down in mid-air. Just look at Heap at 0:10.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2iGzAJIHX8
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

THIS IS EXACTLY why Ryan Clark and Troy Polumolu are so great... Clark KILLS people and Troy covers more area than any FS in football aside from REED.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Undecided

The truth is this....

Anyone that has a problem with Meriweather is just thinking of his early issue's with listening to the coaches (This year), which led to him not starting the year.  Now this happens and you guys get your panties in a bunch.

Had this happened last year we all would have his back, but now since his character has been put into question it's pin the tail on the donkey. 

By the way he is a free safety not a strong safety. 

He plays "football" on the defensive side..., I'd knock the head off my opponent too, just not helmet to helmet, which I doubt was his true intentions as he stated. 

He cost us a 3rd down conversion but that's it, as far as I am concerned. 

His only knock is not listening to coaches... he's not easy to teach I suppose, but it's a work in progress and judging by playtime he was starting to make his coaches happy. 

GLAD he's on my team. 

If you don't care for Meriweather you are foolish...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE] you aren't serious are you.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Yep, I'm serious.  The boneheaded plays are exactly why BB had the less physically talented Sanders starting for so much of the season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hypocrisy : [QUOTE]Merriweather also has a habit of making bonehead mistakes at key moments, something Rodney never did. Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOT you aren't serious are you.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

What Rodney SAID was if the league was serious about stopping it, they would have to suspend players, fines were a joke.  NOT what you said.  He's not saying he likes it, he is saying that it would be the thing that would work.  I thought the Merriweather hit was hard, and not intentional helmet to helmet.  But he DID hit him in the head, and the penalty was fair.  I don't like forearm shivers to the head area either.  Rock his world, but keep it below the neck.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

I don't think the helmet to helmet was intentional. It looks like he was trying to dislodge the ball and missed. Now that he's listening to his coaches they'll be able to correct that and he'll get us a turnover instead of a penalty.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]I have seen plenty of plays where a player was flagged for helmet to helmet that occurred only because the offensive player made a sudden change in the location/direction of his head or body, etc.  These, imo, don't qualify as fouls.  These are the "speed of the game" hits that are going to happen at times and simply are a part of the game.  Merriweather's, imo, was not that.  I don't assume that he could have stopped himself from hitting Heap (although he was late on the play), but I believe he premeditated his head hunting mission and delivered as bad a hit as any of the big hits that took place yesterday. 
    Posted by Indylove[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Geez, for once Dogggg I have to agree with you - what's next - total anarchy - LOL :)?  IMHO after watching the original hit, then a ton of replays - he had plenty of time to pull up - what I'm really meaning is he didn't have to launch.  I'm a Pats fan through and through, but that was a dirty hit - and given the view of his return to the sidelines and talking with BB - well actually, BB was doing all the talking, the coach knew it was a bad play/dirty hit/costly penalty.  Glad we won, we deserved it - but that was a negative and quite frankly, he'll deserve whatever fine or suspension Goodell decides to pass down.

Sections
Shortcuts