I am interested in your opinion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am interested in your opinion

Did anyone see the press conference of Cherington? 

I would be interested in hearing some opinions on how you thought it compared to one of BB's? 

BB is supposed to be the master of press conferences, yet everyone walks away like they just ate a soggy sandwich. Cherington was thoughtful, patient, accommodating and informative. He allowed everyone to ask questions, and more than one if needed. He insured everyone in attained acne understand what the situation was, how it unfolded and what the next few days might look like. No animosity, no evasiveness, no sarcastic barbs, no sour puss looks saying I really have no desire to be here talking to you. 

Discuss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

Re: I am interested in your opinion

In response to rkarp's comment:

I would be interested in hearing some opinions on how you thought it compared to one of BB's? 

BB is supposed to be the master of press conferences, yet everyone walks away like they just ate a soggy sandwich. Cherington was thoughtful, patient, accommodating and informative. He allowed everyone to ask questions, and more than one if needed. He insured everyone in attained acne understand what the situation was, how it unfolded and what the next few days might look like. No animosity, no evasiveness, no sarcastic barbs, no sour puss looks saying I really have no desire to be here talking to you. 

Discuss

I think back to news clips of the late great Vince Lombardi. Not an easy interview. Tough game, tough coach, tough interview. NFL, like most leagues have a tradition. Vince Lombardi set the tone. 

Ben Cherington is a lawyer, politician, with an angry fan base at the moment. I could not imagine an abrasive new conference as a good strategy for Ben. 

I think Bill is funny, and if I were a reporter, I would be frustrated. As a fan though, it does not bother me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to user_1807930's comment:

Discuss

I think back to news clips of the late great Vince Lombardi. Not an easy interview. Tough game, tough coach, tough interview. NFL, like most leagues have a tradition. Vince Lombardi set the tone. 

Ben Cherington is a lawyer, politician, with an angry fan base at the moment. I could not imagine an abrasive new conference as a good strategy for Ben. 

I think Bill is funny, and if I were a reporter, I would be frustrated. As a fan though, it does not bother me.

As a fan, have you ever listened to BB and walked away with anything? I understand after all these years and press conferences, he doesn't want you to walk away with anything. His abrasive ness is a defense mechanism having to do with the fact that he thought he was burnt in years past.

I simply don't see the positives in not giving a rabid fan base some tidbits because some in the media have been harsh on BB. 

I thought Cherington, as usual was fantastic to his and the teams fans, as well as the media. Danny Ainge, always does the same. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Is Cherington a coach?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

Is Cherington a coach?

Is BB a GM?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

BB is God. How dare you say something like that!!! He's the best thing that ever existed and if he said jump I would say how high? His press conferences are done exactly the way he wants. of course if anyone else did their press conferences like that, I'd say they were arrogant tools. only unemployed Jeffrey Dahmer wannabes and stupid millenials would question him. LMAO....tears.....   signed....the rusty trombone

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I feel like Cherington always explains his rationale for making a move and he is the first to take responsibility for something not working out.  Sometimes it's obvious he's being the mouthpiece for ownership (I sincerely doubt he ever wanted to hire Bobby Valentine), but he seems to be his own man for the most part.  Ben gets how the media operate and I like his style of anwering questions and letting the fans in on why and how things are done on Yawkey Way.  I hate BB's style of addressing the media, explaining personnel moves, etc., but if I had to choose between a media darling coach/GM or a guy who gets results, put me on the list as preferring the latter. 

Two guys, two styles -- but winning is all that matters despite their differences. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Personally, I couldn't care less about BB's relationship with the media.  That is the last quality that I would look for in a head coach.  In fact, I absolutely love it when BB screws with them.  It cracks me up when he gives them short, meaningless answers to their questions.  I don't want my NFL Coach to be buddy-buddy with the media.  I want him focused on the team.  Rex Ryan is great with the media.  How's that working out?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Personally, I couldn't care less about BB's relationship with the media.  That is the last quality that I would look for in a head coach.  In fact, I absolutely love it when BB screws with them.  It cracks me up when he gives them short, meaningless answers to their questions.  I don't want my NFL Coach to be buddy-buddy with the media.  I want him focused on the team.  Rex Ryan is great with the media.  How's that working out?

Well said. Besides everyone deals with the media differently whether it be a Ben Cherington or a Danny Ainge. Not surprised rkarp started a thread like this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Bill Belichick is the worst person doing a press conference. Period. When I say the worst, I mean the worst on the planet, not just football, not just sports...the planet. He gives zero information and as a fan that is frustrating - he won't even answer a simple question - something like, how is the weather? Won't be answered directly if he is not in the mood. Speaking of mood, he is not consistent in that department either. I find it best to read his transcripts - if you have to pay attention at all - because his sound/demeanor is depressing...you think something is seriously wrong even after they just won the game.

As long as he wins he can get away with this, but man if he ever started to lose? I can't see how he could survive. I know coaches that lose won't survive anyway, but some really can extend it a bit longer by being popular with the media and fans (see Rex Ryan). I imagine Kraft puts up with it because he understands just how good a coach he has here. Cleveland certainly didn't put up with it, they harassed him endlessly and drove him out of town, trying to ruin his reputation in the process. Take a look back one to five years after he left Cleveland, he was still being talked about as a morbid villain that would ruin your franchise. We were mocked by the Cleveland media when we hired him, but if Bill won there they would be saying the same stuff we do around here...great coach...we win...so we put up with his handling of his media responsibilities.

And to all the, "he can be very interesting and informative", people. When he is in those situations he is not talking about relative information/insight to this team and what is going on. He is talking about zone defenses from 1982. He is talking about a linebacker that played  20 years ago. He is talking about the run blocking schemes at the Navy academy and how they changed between the years of 1972-1979. He is not giving you anything. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

It's partly how he is wired, and partly a deliberate attempt to create as few distractions as possible. It sends a message to players and the rest of the staff to keep their mouths shut.

And by and large it works, doesn't it? When is the last time we've had distractions based on something a coach or player said to the press?

That said I don't buy this "It's only to the press, BB is just a different kind of players coach, a real nice guy, funny and all that BS". No, he is what he is. A perfectionist, brilliant, awkward, demanding, unrelenting, a winner. That's good enough for me.

Supra societatem nemo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

It's partly how he is wired, and partly a deliberate attempt to create as few distractions as possible. It sends a message to players and the rest of the staff to keep their mouths shut.

And by and large it works, doesn't it? When is the last time we've had distractions based on something a coach or player said to the press?

That said I don't buy this "It's only to the press, BB is just a different kind of players coach, a real nice guy, funny and all that BS". No, he is what he is. A perfectionist, brilliant, awkward, demanding, unrelenting, a winner. That's good enough for me.

Supra societatem nemo

Well said. And personally for me there is no other coach I'd rather have, I just don't listen to his press conferences - which is kind of a bummer because as a fan I used to enjoy those things - but I enjoy the winning better. He does that better than anyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Bill Belichick is the worst person doing a press conference. Period. When I say the worst, I mean the worst on the planet, not just football, not just sports...the planet. He gives zero information and as a fan that is frustrating - he won't even answer a simple question - something like, how is the weather? Won't be answered directly if he is not in the mood. Speaking of mood, he is not consistent in that department either. I find it best to read his transcripts - if you have to pay attention at all - because his sound/demeanor is depressing...you think something is seriously wrong even after they just won the game.

As long as he wins he can get away with this, but man if he ever started to lose? I can't see how he could survive. I know coaches that lose won't survive anyway, but some really can extend it a bit longer by being popular with the media and fans (see Rex Ryan). I imagine Kraft puts up with it because he understands just how good a coach he has here. Cleveland certainly didn't put up with it, they harassed him endlessly and drove him out of town, trying to ruin his reputation in the process. Take a look back one to five years after he left Cleveland, he was still being talked about as a morbid villain that would ruin your franchise. We were mocked by the Cleveland media when we hired him, but if Bill won there they would be saying the same stuff we do around here...great coach...we win...so we put up with his handling of his media responsibilities.

And to all the, "he can be very interesting and informative", people. When he is in those situations he is not talking about relative information/insight to this team and what is going on. He is talking about zone defenses from 1982. He is talking about a linebacker that played  20 years ago. He is talking about the run blocking schemes at the Navy academy and how they changed between the years of 1972-1979. He is not giving you anything. 

What would you rather have? Successful winning seasons or a coach who yaps like a clown like Rex Ryan and nothing to show for it? You have the former but sounds like you prefer the latter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I actually find Bill Belichick's press conferences enlightening at times.  I think he gives great information when reporters ask general football questions. You can learn a ton about football by listening to Belichick expound at length on things like how the 3-4 defense evolved or the strategic differences between playing two TEs or one TE and a FB.  It's when reporters try to ask about details that BB feels could put the team at a competitive disadvantage or reveal what BB considers private matters between a player and the team that reporters get the cold shoulder.  I do think that BB maybe takes his secrecy in these matters a little too far, but it's unfair to say "nothing" is gotten out of his press conferences.  I actually find his press conferences among the most interesting of any coach, because he is so willing to talk about the strategy and history of the game.  Reporters don't always care about that--it's not news--but it's very informative to those who are interested in such things. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

prolate and pastry:  good posts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

If the price we pay to have a winning coach is putting up with bad press conferences, and him being cold to the media.....I will pay that price every day of the week.

Rkarp.....stop taking BB rudeness to the media so personally. He's never going to change, and since he wins so much, not too many fans are going to complain. Seriously what is the point of letting this bother you? Obviously you are very offended by the man. Let it go....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Well nothing against Rkarp because I find a lot of his posts informative, but he does work for the media. I am not surprised by his post as I probably would feel the same way if I was trying to get a scoop or report on a juicy tidbit from the Pats.

loose lips sink ships. We have come to expect to a degree, a certain verboseness from coaches. Bb flips this on its head because he knows any insight into what the pats are doing could be costly. He is under obligation to do press conferences, but he is under no obligation to do them the way reporters want him to. I wouldn't want it any other way. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

all good points. I really was simply asking as a fan. I walked away from the Sox press conference impressed.

I usually walk away from the Pats press conferences...and I will leave it at that (and yes, I understand BB is not there to impress me or anyone else)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Discuss

I thought BC did an excellent job but BB is the best at them.  I absolutely love his pressers. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I feel like Cherington always explains his rationale for making a move and he is the first to take responsibility for something not working out.  Sometimes it's obvious he's being the mouthpiece for ownership (I sincerely doubt he ever wanted to hire Bobby Valentine), but he seems to be his own man for the most part.  Ben gets how the media operate and I like his style of anwering questions and letting the fans in on why and how things are done on Yawkey Way.  I hate BB's style of addressing the media, explaining personnel moves, etc., but if I had to choose between a media darling coach/GM or a guy who gets results, put me on the list as preferring the latter. 

Two guys, two styles -- but winning is all that matters despite their differences. 

very well said, and I agree

lets see;

Sox-WS winners 04, 07, 13

Pats SB winners-01, 03, 04

well, never mind

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

all good points. I really was simply asking as a fan. I walked away from the Sox press conference impressed.

I usually walk away from the Pats press conferences...and I will leave it at that (and yes, I understand BB is not there to impress me or anyone else)

Why were you impressed?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Why were you impressed?

Cherington was thoughtful, patient, accommodating and informative. He allowed everyone to ask questions, and more than one if needed. He insured everyone in attendance did understand what the situation was, how it unfolded and what the next few days might look like. No animosity, no evasiveness, no sarcastic barbs, no sour puss looks saying I really have no desire to be here talking to you. 

as a fan, with a lifelong following of the Sox, I appreciated Cherington trying to allow fans to understand what was going on

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

What would you rather have? Successful winning seasons or a coach who yaps like a clown like Rex Ryan and nothing to show for it? You have the former but sounds like you prefer the latter.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Why can't you have a winning coach and someone who doesn't give out state secrets but at least gives the fans an explanation on some events? I don't think anything Cherington said would give anyone any advantage now or in the future but he was polite and gave reasonable explanations that fans would typically ask for. Why does it have to be one or the other. Does getting anger and looking like someone stuck a porcupine up your butt because they asked why a certain move was made give BB an advantage on the field? In the end these pressers are for the fans so while I don't expect Rexy pressers listening to Cherington makes you wonder if there couldn't be a happy median 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Why were you impressed?

Cherington was thoughtful, patient, accommodating and informative. He allowed everyone to ask questions, and more than one if needed. He insured everyone in attendance did understand what the situation was, how it unfolded and what the next few days might look like. No animosity, no evasiveness, no sarcastic barbs, no sour puss looks saying I really have no desire to be here talking to you. 

as a fan, with a lifelong following of the Sox, I appreciated Cherington trying to allow fans to understand what was going on

Fair. Some of it is situational. Cherrington almost had to be this way given the circumstances. Some of it is personality. Bb is just wired differently. As a fan wanting to know more, I wish bb would open up a bit. But understanding who he is and what he believes, I get why he is the way he is. I guess we just have to get use to eating soggy sandwiches and winning games. 

Sections
Shortcuts