1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: I am interested in your opinion

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

well, the fans.

[/QUOTE]

If the option is to give a competitive advantage to the opposition or my knowing the specific details of a player's injury, I'd rather be ignorant.  

No offense RKarp but I wish the press was this zealous in pursuit of thieving politicians or something that actually matters.  It's quite possible that because the press are limited by their corporate handlers in what they can report that they attack with great zeal on topics where there are no restrictions.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yes lets see some of those state secret questions the press ask BB:

When it comes to Talib and Smith, did you have to pull Talib aside to keep him in check?

I'm sure that helped the next weeks team

You didn't place Gronk on PuP does that mean you expect him in practice the next couple weeks

Because other teams don't get practice reports about who's practicing

What's the status of Gronk's knee?

This was in Feb. what possible advantage could any team possibly get?

You brought up 4 possible rule changes, why is important to you in those changes?

It's no secret he made those proposals, what possible advantage does that give?

What was your thought process in the 4th and 1 situation?

Let me guess, the Colts heard the press conference went back in time and changed the play?

Any explanation from the officals for the flag at the end of the game?

As BB put it the game was over. How could that give an advantage?

Wozzy I completely understand not giving away every last possible detail but Cherington didn't give every possible detail and with rare exception no other coach gives away every last possible detail. There's been 10 SB winners since our last one and they don't seem to be hurt by answering basic questions everyone is asked. No team gains that big of an advantage listening to another teams press conference. They just don't get info from it. And every team knows what they can and can't say at these things saying nothing gives no advantage to the Pats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Other coaches are evasive when it suits them, BB carries some baggage from his time in Cleveland when he was not so nice and it has followed him.  

If you think secrecy plays no part in football than we'll have to agree to disagree, I think that notion is patently ridiculous.  

Cherrington had to answer questions as to why his team is at the bottom of the division and why he made moves, when's the last time BB had to explain himself for the same thing?

The press ask questions that have double meanings all the time, 4th and 1 situation?  What you're really asking is "am I second guessing myself."  It's a question meant to antagonize and get a rise out of somebody known for being stoic and reserved, it's bush league paparazzi garbage.  Who cares?  If they converted would you ask the same question, was the entire game lost on one play?

Save the fluff for Kim Kardashian, us fans love BB just the way he is... Don't go changing just to please me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

While I think Belichick is far more engaging and informative in his press conferences than many think, I do agree that there are times when he could be a bit more gracious.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

rkarp-

I have a lot of respect for you as a poster, but let's not B.S. one another.  You have a clear agenda to bash Belichick, and that has been clear for quite some time.  If there are 2 rock solid themes on this site, it is that Rusty will bash Brady at any given chance, and that you will do the same with Belichick.  It's who you are.  You can spin it any way you like, but there have been numerous examples of this.  I don't agree with either you or Russ in these regards.  I think that both Brady and Belichick have been equally important to NE's success over the previous decade plus.  I also think both guys are terrific off the field and I enjoy how both go about their business and deal with the media.

Since this thread is about BB more so than Brady, I will just say that he complies with league rules when it comes to dealing with the media.  It isn't his job to give reporters info, or fans for that matter.  As a fan, I appreciate that he gives as little info as possible.  I love that about him.  He owes the media nothing.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Other coaches are evasive when it suits them, BB carries some baggage from his time in Cleveland when he was not so nice and it has followed him.  

If you think secrecy plays no part in football than we'll have to agree to disagree, I think that notion is patently ridiculous.  

Cherrington had to answer questions as to why his team is at the bottom of the division and why he made moves, when's the last time BB had to explain himself for the same thing?

The press ask questions that have double meanings all the time, 4th and 1 situation?  What you're really asking is "am I second guessing myself."  It's a question meant to antagonize and get a rise out of somebody known for being stoic and reserved, it's bush league paparazzi garbage.  Who cares?  If they converted would you ask the same question, was the entire game lost on one play?

Save the fluff for Kim Kardashian, us fans love BB just the way he is... Don't go changing just to please me.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Cheringtons press conferences were the same last year when the were in 1st as they were this year when they were in last.

That 4th and 1 question is asked to every coach who makes a similar move, it's because it's a questionable move that fans want to know the thought process. It's not some bush league paparazzi, it's what fans like to know and frankly a reporter wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't ask.

Of course there are secrets. I don't expect BB to come out on Friday and give the first handful of plays away. But, saying something to the ilk of Dobsons recovery is progressing as expected and we hope to get him back in the next couple weeks doesn't give anything away to anyone but to the fans.

I understand the baggage and I agree he needs to hold some stuff back but for the most part on these questions which gives away nothing more than any other coach can't figure out by looking at film or reading NFL reports (not media ones) is something most fans would like to hear about so not answering them hurts only the fans who just want to hear something about their team. Wouldn't you like to know the thought process why T. Wilson was picked in the 2nd? or how Gronks knee was progressing in Feb? or how he might use Browner and Revis (trust me 31 coaches know much more than the fans and have a good idea how they will be used).

It seems that when people say they don't want to give anything away fans think other coaches know nothing more than the average fan which is completely not true. No matter how much info we get from the media we aren't even the tip of the iceberg from what coaches know and get just from film and NFL reports. It's like saying teams find out about potential draft red flags through draft reports on walterfootball. It's a notion I understand because we don't have access to see how much info coaches actually get on a weekly basis but to think other teams gain an advantage from a media report when every team has whole departments devoted to analyzing film, NFL reports, and putting that against their own experiences. BB obviously doesn't get his info from other teams from the media, heck he doesn't even know how to use tweeter. Not to mention coaches play games through the media. I even remember BB saying you can't believe every media report because things change. If BB doesn't even trust media reports then do you think other coaches say, I know what my eyes and NFL reports say but look at this media article. It's says BB loves Junior Mints so Brady's shoulder must be so sore he won't be playing this week even though he wasn't limited in practice and has had the same bum shoulder for 5 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

rkarp-

I have a lot of respect for you as a poster, but let's not B.S. one another.  You have a clear agenda to bash Belichick, and that has been clear for quite some time.  If there are 2 rock solid themes on this site, it is that Rusty will bash Brady at any given chance, and that you will do the same with Belichick.  It's who you are.  You can spin it any way you like, but there have been numerous examples of this.  I don't agree with either you or Russ in these regards.  I think that both Brady and Belichick have been equally important to NE's success over the previous decade plus.  I also think both guys are terrific off the field and I enjoy how both go about their business and deal with the media.

Since this thread is about BB more so than Brady, I will just say that he complies with league rules when it comes to dealing with the media.  It isn't his job to give reporters info, or fans for that matter.  As a fan, I appreciate that he gives as little info as possible.  I love that about him.  He owes the media nothing.

[/QUOTE]

Wazzu, no worries. you have made your mind up, and I wont change it. I do however think you are wrong. I have been very supportive of BB as a coach, and would challenge you to find any of my comments to the contrary.

As BB the GM, I have been less enthused with the free agency decisions made here over the past 5-6 years. I think BB has been league average in the draft, and have stated so. And yes, 100%, as the voice and face of the franchise management, I feel BB left the public very much in the dark regarding the AH situation.

I don't think these stated facts are an agenda. That I do not put BB on a pedestal and think he has no faults doesn't make me a hater. IN fact, in BB I trust. I have stated that numerous times.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Whoa Nellie, Whoa!

Comparing the Presser with TC about what happened to the RS and the week to week pressers of BB together has nothing, absolutely nothing comparable whatsoever.  

If the Patriots had just traded away Tom Brady, Vince Wilfork, Gronk, Edleman, and Mankins - calling it a year to get ready for the following seasons, you don't think there would be a nicey, nicey press conference to spin and justify this kind of trade?

And then I read about all the nice things said about how Rex gives a presser.  What kind of secrets does Rex give during his pressers.  Making an A out of himself does not qualify.

Does anyone remember Parcells pressers.  He would jump all over the reporters so bad that there is no way they would want to ask him any stupid questions ever again. The media absolutey feared him.  And as long as they didn't ask stupid questions, Parcells natural charisma would stand out but he still never said anything substantial other than some great one liners. 

So let's keep it real.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

this whole argument is apples vs. oranges! Big big difference between football and baseball. BB doesn't tell the media anything because every little bit of information (injury related) can be used against him by the other team and players. BB is a different animal. Ben C also OWED the fans an explanation giving the fact the front office refuses to pay a franchise icon the market rate for a SP, and dismantled a world championship team less than a year after winning it all! When BB feels like he owes the community some info (i.e. AH press conference prior to TC last year) he can also be thoughtful and reflective like Ben C. I thought Ben C looked detached and ticked off inside during his presser. I kept waiting for the words "since Larry and John wont let me do my job, I resign effective immediately!"

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is Cherington a coach?

[/QUOTE]

Is BB a GM?

[/QUOTE]

Why yes. BB is a GM.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

rkarp-

[/QUOTE]

Wazzu, no worries. you have made your mind up, and I wont change it. I do however think you are wrong. I have been very supportive of BB as a coach, and would challenge you to find any of my comments to the contrary.

As BB the GM, I have been less enthused with the free agency decisions made here over the past 5-6 years. I think BB has been league average in the draft, and have stated so. And yes, 100%, as the voice and face of the franchise management, I feel BB left the public very much in the dark regarding the AH situation.

I don't think these stated facts are an agenda. That I do not put BB on a pedestal and think he has no faults doesn't make me a hater. IN fact, in BB I trust. I have stated that numerous times.

[/QUOTE]

League average as a gm?  Lol!  You supposedly watch practices standing next to that dork chris gasper all day and you think the talent he has assembled is "average"?

Also, with big contracts due into the lockout and a flat cap through it all, big splashes in free agency should not have been expected. I warned you on that from day 1.  Just because you are dumb, it does not mean bb is "average" as a gm.

The greatest gm of all time cannot be "average".  That is just asinine. 

[/QUOTE]

dummy. I did not say he was a league average GM. I said he was league average in the draft.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Here's a fairly random example of BB in a press conference.  It's the final question from yesterday's presser.  Read it and tell me if this a coach who doesn't answer questions?  I think he gives lots of really good information. The answer reveals interesting things about how BB thinks: that he'd rather have everyone be wrong in the same way than have one person right and one wrong.  In fact, it's better to be decisive than right.  That's really an interesting observation--and it's more information than the reporter asked for.  This answer also suggests why BB like those Rutger players.  And there are some interesting hints on how the defense actually works (the combination part). It really is a very helpful answer.  And, honestly, this is more typical than his sometimes terse responses to questions he doesn't want to answer. 

Q: For a young player like Duron Harmon trying to learn to be a communicator on defense, what skills make or break a communicator and how can a young player learn those skills?

BB: I think communication starts with, number one, knowing what to do and number two, being decisive and doing it with confidence. Even doing the wrong thing can be OK as long as we’re all wrong together. If we’re all wrong together, we can still be right. The problem is when half of us are doing one thing and half of us are doing something else then it’s almost impossible for that to ever work well. Being decisive and when I say that, I mean for example, say we have two or three different ways we could play a 3-on-2 combination or a 4-on-3 combination and we have to identify which one of those we’re playing. We might go into the game and say, ‘We want to use, in this situation, option B.’ But the situation comes up and we call option C, but we can still play that. Maybe that’s not the ideal thing we want to do, but at least if we’re all playing it, we know what we’re doing, we can play it. It still has – it can still probably be alright if we play it properly. But if we’re in between B and C – ‘Oh, I thought it was B’, ‘I thought it was C’ then it doesn’t matter, it’s not going to work. Knowing what to do and being able to anticipate what’s going to happen and then doing it decisively with confidence, because the worst thing for a player too, is to hear a call and kind of then have in the back of his mind, ‘Was that the right thing? Was that really what we want to do? Is it going to get changed? Once the person makes it, is somebody else going to say or is that person going to say, ‘Oh wait a minute.’ Then you’re in no man’s land. But Duron is a sharp kid and he works very hard. He’s a good football player. He’s got good instincts. He was obviously well coached in college. He has a good fundamental background and a good communication background. The defenses that they played in college, that he and Logan [Ryan] and Steve [Beauharnais] and all the rest of them, there was quite a bit of communication involved, there was quite a bit of recognition involved. So, that’s something we saw him do in college; Steve as well, Logan, all of them – Devin [McCourty]. We saw them do that and that really hasn’t been a problem for any of those guys, to tell you the truth. It’s a different system, it’s different words but the concepts and the principles are there and they’re familiar with those type of things. They’re good at it. They’re used to making calls and they can make them decisively.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If you ask BB a question about football, about playing football, about strategy, etc you might get great insights. If you ask him about his team he has little insentive to say much. As a fan I dont care the least what a coach says other than not at all liking bluster in a player or coach or anyone. If you are really good at anything you know it and you don't need to be a loud mouthed jerk about it. ANd in the case of BB he also has no desire to either give an opponent any info nor to make a mistake and cause there to be some discord on the team.

So for all you fantasy football fans who want more headline players but to win fewer games, go elsewhere.

FOr all you reality show fans who want entertainment off the field go watch a reality show or follow another team.

I am quite happy with BB. I bet you would be too if not for a magic helmet or for key injuries (Gronk for example) or for one dropped pass not so well thrown in a recent SB. None of those were the fault of the GM or coach. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

BB doesn't owe you anything, that's where your confusion comes from.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

BB's press conference are the essence of the team's success. I don't see BB so much as evasive as really delivering the mystical essence of the team. BB is saying: "It is not about him or even anyone player, it is about the team" He does not make a spectacle of himself just as he does not want any one player to make a spectacle of themselves. It is about creating a culture of success built on everyone sacrificing their ego for the greater good. That is what gets delivered at the press conference, that is the way he builds the team, that is the way he coaches the team and that is why we are successful.

I actually find his press conferences energizing, like the way one might find prayer energizing. It is not about delivering facts. It is about delivering the team philosophy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No more really needs to be said.....spot on!! Let the whiners whine.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

This thread might hold the answer.

The Red Sox go from first to worst. The Red Sox give up on the season and sell off half the team.

The Sox GM gives a pleasant press conference and someone who works for ESPN dumps on Belichick.  That damn Belichick!

Come on Maaan

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

rkarp-

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

League average as a gm?  Lol!  You supposedly watch practices standing next to that dork chris gasper all day and you think the talent he has assembled is "average"?

Also, with big contracts due into the lockout and a flat cap through it all, big splashes in free agency should not have been expected. I warned you on that from day 1.  Just because you are dumb, it does not mean bb is "average" as a gm.

The greatest gm of all time cannot be "average".  That is just asinine. 

[/QUOTE]

dummy. I did not say he was a league average GM. I said he was league average in the draft.

[/QUOTE]

Isn't it frustrating when you say something and then someone else sort of twists it to fit their agenda? They use your words but their interpretation can be so far away from what you intended, you don't even recognize it. Very similar to 30+ pages vs. 30+ texts. After a while you might resent it. You might be determined to say nothing to them...nothing. Not even your opinion on the color of the sky. You may even trow in a terse persona to try to dissuade them from even asking.

"Nuclear warheads heading at Boston! Details after this commercial break!"

Commercial break for 3 minutes.

"We're back, tonight, several dismantled nuclear warheads are heading to Boston on a flatbed truck to be recycled into tuna cans. Here's Dick with the latest on this story."

Gotta sell that breakfast cereal!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

The gulf between BC's presser and every BB presser is wide enough for [insert your favorite metaphor here].

That's the thing.   There's plenty of room for change without a complete change in personality.   But I know it won't happen.

I much preferred Parcells approach.   Parcells could be downright condescending to some, but quite affable and informative with others.   See, if BB really wanted to stick it to some guys in the press he didn't like he could borrow from Parcell's media playbook.  That is, answer reasonable questions from guys you like and emasculate the guys you don't.   It's completely childish but it can be effective.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Belichick is like a great surgeon who has terrible bedside manner. You know the one who gives maddeningly little information when you ask him anything, and acts like you have no business even asking that pathetic question.  He doesn't give a wit what you think of him, it just doesn't enter his brain to care about such triviality.

But you put up with it, because when it comes down to it, you don't anybody else in that operating room.

Sections
Shortcuts