I apologize...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: I apologize...

This is the boring part where we go back and forth, so I'm bailing.  My point is what I said it was.  Repeat as necessary.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize...:
    In Response to Re: I apologize... : I never said you were "wealthy" or "Republican".  However, the fact that you worked and had a 401K means you're "wealthy" compared to me. It's not MY fault that the career field I chose to go into (when I began studying it) was one of the TOP FIVE HOTTEST fields to go into but soon tanked, now is it? It's also not MY fault that the start-up company I worked for in 2004 ran out of money and could no longer pay me, forcing me into unemployment followed by my third post-doctoral position, which ended two years before it was supposed to.  The reason it ended was because congress keeps seeing fit to cut into the HHS budget.  So, in theory, if not for bad financial decisons not made by ME, I would still be employed at the university.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

Zero sense of personal responsibility coupled with an extremely odd sense of entitlement and an strong ability to whine. Quite frankly, you disgust me.

As to your "apology", you should learn that a sincere apology does not come with caveats or conditions on others nor does it ask forgiveness. 

Zero sense of persoanl responsibility. Whiny and complaintin

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In the spirit of the season, I wish all on this board the very best that the holidays have to offer.  May all of you and your families experience good health and success in the coming year. 

Patsfansince1966, I hope the New Year is brighter for you and that you are able to overcome a tough run of bad breaks. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize... : What zero sense of "personal responsibility"?  You're saying that it took me no time or effort to EARN three science degrees?  I paid for my education MYSELF.  That's not being personally responsible?   I did all the work and took all the exams myself-never paid anyone to do anything for me. BTW, the title of this thread IS "I apoligize" and NOT "I apologize, please forgive me"-I didn't apologize so people would forgive me-personally, I don't care either way if anyone does or doesn't forgive me. You're beyond disguisting.

Personal responsibility holding yourself accountable for your actions and your life and not blaming the world or others for your misfortune. You do the latter.

The title of the thread isn't relevant to the content which is filled with more self-pitying drivel from you.

And, I do believe you don't care if people "forgive you", but only because you aren't actually sorry. You do, though, seek some sort of approval. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize... : I'll do my best if others promise to try to do so as well.

That's the point though.  How OTHERS behave badly shouldn't bring you down to their level.  Your promise, as well as the attempt, should be unconditional.  You only have the ability to change what YOU do.  Not insulting others is a positive move.  It should not be conditional.  I think you will find that if you stop insulting others, there will be a great change in the behavior of thos others as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize... : Sure, I know all about courtesy and decency.  You should know though about how tiring it is for people to say they know what you're like just by reading what you post. I have people tell me, "no wonder you don't have a job, look at how you are with people..." or "I bet no one you work with likes you", well, the fact is I am not really like this with real people, I generally keep my feelings about these things to myself.  The people that I have worked with have nothing but good things to say about me.  When I was first at the University of Minnesota, in the spring of 2007, I was in the supercomputing institute to ask a question about something.  The person I was speaking to asked what my name was and when I told them, they said, "we've heard a lot about you..." and I said, "I hope it's good", and the person said to me, "VERY good..".  He then proceeded to introduce me to everyone there. Later on that summer, the medicinal chemistry department had a picnic to welcome the new graduate students.  A professor came up to me and introduced himself, and I did the same.  When he heard my name, he said, "we've heard about you..." and I asked him if it was good, as well, and he said, "oh yes, we are glad to have you here..." So, I'm not the ogre some of you think I am.  It's just very frustrating to sit here and apply for jobs for over two years and not get anywhere with it, and then have some of you tell me WHY you think I'm having it so hard, when point of fact, none of you know why I am having it so hard. For one, how many of you know the actual application process these days?  Generally, you go to a company's web site and fill out an application.   IF you have the "right" words in your resume, you MIGHT get contacted.  Otherwise, you don't.  If you get contacted, you usually get a prescreening phone interview, where they ask you things they could figure out about you if they'd read your resume.  Things like, "have you ever brought a product to market?", which of course, doesn't happen if you are a post-doc, as I was. If you make it past the phone interview, you might get brought in for a real interview.  I've had a half dozen of those since 2009.  Three of them actually made me (low-ball) offers-two offered $30K and no benefits.  Another, in Silicon Valley, offered me $54K for 18 months-so, it was a temporary position. One of the others I interviewed with was in Salt Lake City, Utah.  There was one other guy I was up against.  I talked about my work at the University and I answered all their questions about my work and background and they answered mine, and the guy that was the head of the department liked me.  I told him was anxious tostart as soon as I could and that I was looking forward to wqorking with all these people, or words to that effect.  He's still a contact and I've actually picked his brain acouple of times, but he's moved on the the cancer center at the University of Utah hospital.  The guy that I believe decided against, the CSO, me wasn't there that day.  I since learned that this company moved their operations to California, which probably meant I would have lost my job had they hired me, as they no longer have operations in SLC.   Anyway, they hired the other guy, who was from New York City, over me because he had MORE industrial experience than I did.  That is the REAL reason I am getting turned down.  Not my age, not my attitude, but my experience.  That's what they want. The guy they hired was in Salt Lake for about three months.  He quit because his wife didn't like it there!  My wife and I had lived near Logan, Utah, and loved it and wanted to go back.  The guy from NY had been paid by this outfit to move there, so they were out three months salary and the expenses of moving the guy. So, they needed someone to fill this guy's place.   So what did they do-did they contact guy number two (me)?  No, they did a whole new search.  So I reapplied and I wasn't contacted BECAUSE I had applied with them within the last six months. So, if you apply with a company and don't get hired, and they tell you, "we'll keep you on file", that is a lie.  If you are in their system at all, you can't apply again until maybe six months have passed.  Some companies run that longer. So there's just a little more insight into me and the job search process for those of you that still think I am a "nut".

My response to this is a two parter.
    Part 1 - Now for the third time what did I, sheldong, do to you, patsfansince1966. to warrant you calling me a moron?

Part 2 - I can fully sympathize with your situation.  From 1962 to 2001, I had never been out of work.  In fact, in the 10 yeasrs of the 90s I charged the customer an average of 50 hours a week for 50 weeks a year.  I was making about $175K/year at the end.  Then the Bush Depression hit Massachusetts and in the next 26 months I worked a total of nine - and it was a miserable nine months at that.  The rest of the time I supplemented unemployment by working at Best Buy as a "geek" before there was a "Geek Squad".  All the time I was searching for work, but I still did what I could without getting into an insulting others mode.  Finally in 2003, I wound up getting a job teaching Math at a private Jewish high school in North Miami Beach at a salary of $44K.  I jumped at the chance,  In 2006 I moved to The Villages and started doing web programming (by teaching myself yet another computer language).  By Jan 2008 I incorporated myself and had a contract with a big company in Alabama, but all telecommuting.  I still have it and give them 40 hours per week (at a very good rate for them), so now with Social Security I am back well into six figures.  The point is that I really can feel your pain since I have been there and done that. So, frustrating as it is, just keep on plugging away -- and be nicer to people.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

One more thing Patsfansince1966.  Do you know how I got this last contract?  I was nice to a person on a particular programming newsgroup who was being attacked by a pompous boor.  When I later asked for help in how to land consulting contracts, he asked me to send him a sample of my work.  He liked it and forwarded it on to his boss, and the rest is history.

Moral: Be nice to people -- even on the internet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize... : So, in other words, either you be right and I back down or you quit. That's almost as bad as calling someone names.

No, I think my point is, I said what I have to say, either you see my point or you don't, but any further discussion is not productive, and I have other things to do now.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize... : Well, why don't you tell this to my landlord then, ok? Since "no one is entitled", then he's not entitled to his money, now is he? I suspect that since you "switched careers", that means you had experience and you also probably had a 401K as well.  It's REAL easy to say to someone like myself, "no one is entitled" when you have a few thousands stashed away for your retirement. You're like Rick Perry complaining about the US governnment, but then collecting his governor's salary as well as his retirement pension of $90K a year. Then some wonder why I want to insult people?

Jeez, you're one pitiful man.  You told me a few days ago, that I was "too stupid to die in one of my wars," then you come on here to apologize to all of the folks you demeanded while you posted the same meaningless, "woe is me," "everyone that has something I don't got it from being lucky" crapola.  I don't think you own anyone an apology 66 - your folks do for releasing unto this world a mean-spirited, selfish, whiny little man-child totally incapable of assuming any sense of responsibility for the choices he made.  If your life is truely as pitiful as you would like us to believe, and this country is too unresponsive to your "needs," might I suggest a change of scenary because quite frankly, and I'm sure a bunch of folks agree with this sentiment, I'm tired of having to share my oxygen with you.  You'd be a big hit in Europe or Asia I'm sure, but then they'd grow tired of your act eventually as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Oh leave Patsfan alone.  It was nice of him to apologize and he's really being quite civil.  It's Christmas, guys.  No need to get into fights.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Oh leave Patsfan alone.  It was nice of him to apologize and he's really being quite civil.  It's Christmas, guys.  No need to get into fights.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I hear you prolate, but regrettably he's brought this on himself.  He wants to come here after insulting a bunch of folks, then spew the same spew and polluting this board with nonsense.  Just because, for one instance, he isn't being his typically rude self doesn't mean squat to me - Christmas or not.  I'm fond of your posts, and you bring unique insights on a variety of topics so peace to you....and my apologies for a hardline stance with respect to this particular individual.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize... : I hear you prolate, but regrettably he's brought this on himself.  He wants to come here after insulting a bunch of folks, then spew the same spew and polluting this board with nonsense.  Just because, for one instance, he isn't being his typically rude self doesn't mean squat to me - Christmas or not.  I'm fond of your posts, and you bring unique insights on a variety of topics so peace to you....and my apologies for a hardline stance with respect to this particular individual.
    Posted by gr82bme

That's okay, no need to apologize.  I completely understand where you're coming from.  My feeling though is that Patsfan is trying to be more civil and I think we should all encourage him.  Long threads where we trade insults at each other really don't help this board.  

I enjoy your posts too, by the way.  In fact, this is generally a pretty good board.  Lot's of good discussion--and (by internet standards at least) very little of the personal attacks that sometimes afflict discussion boards. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize... : That's okay, no need to apologize.  I completely understand where you're coming from.  My feeling though is that Patsfan is trying to be more civil and I think we should all encourage him.  Long threads where we trade insults at each other really don't help this board.   I enjoy your posts too, by the way.  In fact, this is generally a pretty good board.  Lot's of good discussion--and (by internet standards at least) very little of the personal attacks that sometimes afflict discussion boards. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Prolate:  right on with the long threaded insults - so I'll attempt to ratched back on the return vollies - LOL :).  One last thing:  GO PATS!  SQUISH THE FISH!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I completely understand your situation, 1966. 

I'm a strong believer in determinism, and that we have very little control over what happens throughout our life.

We have choices, absolutely - some with far reaching consequences, but we're always dependent upon others in some way, shape, or form. And therefore what happens throughout our lives are very much determined by outside sources.

Despite all the 'personal responsibility/control your own destiny' bluster nowadays, I think it's pretty shortsighted to think that way. Not everything bad (or good for that matter) that occurs during our existence is within our own control.

Apology accepted, and I wish you the best of luck in your job search. Happy Holidays to you and yours, and I hope we can enjoy disucssion of the Patriots in the future.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to I apologize... : OK, in the spirit of the season, I'll let it go by.  I tried to tell you back then that all you had to say was "Did you forget 1976?" when I mentioned pre-1986, and it would have served the same purpose as you calling me Moron .  A little human decency and civility goes a long way.  There is no need to insult others on this board -- or anywhere for that matter -- except in very exceptional cases. Just remember the answer to the question "What are erasers made for?".  People make mistakes.  That doesn't mean they are a moron. Now, for the record, I hold a Masters in Mechanical Engineering, worked up to Program Manager during my 20 years at it, and I walked away (just needing a thesis) from a PhD in Physics because i changed fields into Software where I have made quite a nice living for the past thirty years -- and still putting in 40 hours a week at age 70.  That is who I am.  That is why when I saw you continued to be excessively rude and insulting, I just put you on my ignore list (you were the only one there).  I waited for others to respond in this thread to see whether this was really an apology, so now I have removed you from the list. ------ Loyal Pats fan (through all the dismal years) since 1967 when I moved to Natick with my family.  I still watch every game even though I live in Florida now.
    Posted by sheldong

Hey Shel !!!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Shel has been a part of this board since the beginning....he has always been a gentleman...and a well informed poster. Too bad there are not more posters like him!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Words can hurt and  it is possible to cause serious emotional damage.

Who would want to go through life knowing that  they flamed someone with severe depression and those words may have contributed to the unstable persons  eventual suicide?

I know of a computer forum that had this happen.

Of course it is fun and entertaining to argue as long as everyone understands that it's all in good fun.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize... : So having someone ask for a sample of your work and getting a job out of it isn't "lucky"? Just so you know, I have tried to get a job in another country, but believe it or not, that's even harder to do.  And whether I'm here or in Europe, you still have to share O2 with me. You call ME mean spirited, well I wonder what YOU are.

Of course it was lucky, but you missed the point I was making.  He asked for a sample of my work because I defended him on an internet newsgroup against a pompous, egotistical bully.  Had I been calling people on the board "moron", what chance do you think I would have had of his asking for a sample of my work?  You catch more flies......

Now as for lucky.  I am where I am because of three things.  I grew up in the slums of the lower east side of Manhattan and there were times when if we had potatoes for supper we were thankful.  Those three things were:

1 - My initiative and hard work and the intelligence to know that I had to pursue an education.
    2 - This great country in providing me with the opportunity for self advancement through a free education (I went to a tuition free school -- Cooper Union).
    3 - Serendipity in being in the right place at the right time.  i was able to change careers to Software in 1982 because there was a desperate need for programmers and I had taught myself Fortran.

I am thankful every day of my life to this great country and to the good fortune I have had.  But make no mistake about it.  The key ingredient in all of this was ME and my own efforts.  I was wise enough to change careers in 1982 and again wise enough to change to web programming in 2005.  Those were MY decisions and NOBODY ever gave me anything.  I earned every last bit of it.

Hard times?  Yes.  Between 2001 and 2006 there were hard times.  I didn't whine about the sorry state of the economy, nor "woe is me".  I got up and made the best of it and, as they say, "this too shall pass".

As I look back on my life, second to my family my greatest joy is in the pride of having done all this on my own.  Luck?  Yes.  I have had both kinds, but now I live in the greatest place in the world (The Villages, FL), have a great family, play golf and socialize, and continue to work at what I love doing.  Also, I get to watch the Pats every game during this past great decade.

So 66, I wish you a Merry Christmas or a Happy Chanukah as the case may be, and I hope that you find a decent job very soon.  Meanwhile, try to enjoy life.  We only go around once.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize... : Hey Shel !!!! Merry Christmas to you and your family. Shel has been a part of this board since the beginning....he has always been a gentleman...and a well informed poster. Too bad there are not more posters like him!
    Posted by bradleyBliss

Why thank you, BB.  I feel the same about you and several others.  Have a Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukah as the case applies.  (For me, BTW, it is Chanukah, but thank you for your good wishes).

One last thing about "well informed".  I stand in awe of TexasPat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: I apologize... : So having someone ask for a sample of your work and getting a job out of it isn't "lucky"? Just so you know, I have tried to get a job in another country, but believe it or not, that's even harder to do.  And whether I'm here or in Europe, you still have to share O2 with me. You call ME mean spirited, well I wonder what YOU are.

Merry Christmas good Doctor....and a prosperous New Year.  May this holiday season bring for you and your family peace, joy, and contentment.

Sections
Shortcuts