I blame Brady....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: I blame Brady....

Killa, check this out: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=lundblad_jeremy&id=5606325

Same premises, except backed by stats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Me too..I've seen him Play games like that before. He usually does it when we go to Miami but then he snaps out of it the next week. I expect him to snap out of it but if he lays an egg like that in a playoff game we're all done. And now, As Mentioned, we don't have the defense to cover for his short comings when they occur so he really has to be close to perfect if we're going anywhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: I blame Brady....:
    Killa, check this out: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=lundblad_jeremy&id=5606325 Same premises, except backed by stats.
    Posted by apdynasty23

I hate stats, but those stats are telling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from footdown. Show footdown's posts

The jury is out on the defense, it is still too early. Buy Brady played horrible in the 2nd half. No question about it. Bad passes, bad decisions. Where is the Brady who used to go to the open receivers. Forcing it to Moss is not going to cut it especially if the pass is not accurate. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Brady played bad in the second half because the Jets stopped blitzing and took away his options including Hernandez and Welker. He took chances on Randy not only to try to get in his hands but to try and get an inference call. Who knew Cromatrie would cover Moss better than Revis.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

NEGAME, I think the opposite holds true. If you go back and watch the game and read some articles published since then, you can see that on many plays in the second half he had Welker and/or Hernandez open but still threw it to Moss.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'll throw out a possible contributing factor - lack of offensive adjustments in the 2nd half.  I think that Brady's seemingly bad play in the 2nd half is a symptom of the problem, but not the problem.  Let me explain:

1. We all talk about how we can't judge our defense in preseason because they are not scheming.  We know that scheming can make the opposing offense less effective.  It can confuse the players on the opposing offense.  What do players do when they are being exposed to a good defensive scheme?  They run poor routes.  They try running into the strength of the D, the QB makes bad decisions, the timing between the QB and his receivers is off.  That being the case, if the opposing D has made good adjustments (especially a good D) at halftime that our offense fails to counter...you will see what we are seeing.

2. Do we give Brady a pass?  It could mean he isn't as good at reading the D as we thought, but it could also mean that he isn't allowed as much freedom to improvise as we would think.  

I really think that Brady's bad 2nd halfs are a symptom of the problem, but not the problem though.  If he played bad all game, I'd blame him.  The fact that it's mostly only in the 2nd half points to bad/no adjustments.  Not to mention the circumstantial evidence that his poor 2nd half play coincided with O'Brian taking over the offense.

However, I cannot believe the above is true without also believing that our offensive coordinator(s) have had a greater impact on Brady's success or lack of success than I ever thought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

OK well I didn't come to this conclusion on my own, I listened to Troy Brown on WEEI, although he agreed that Brady MAY have forced the ball to Randy, he pointed out the adjustments the Jets made at halftime. He also said it is difficult to judge what happened without seeing the entire playing field. Now if you were there than you probably have a better perspective than him or me.

But Why is it that the team does so poorly in the second half. That is the most troubling stat of all. There is so much talent on this team , but something needs to change.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Brady had a terrible 2nd half and was a huge reason why they were not very good. He settled for the long ball when on tape there were clearly several plays were he had other players open on intermediate routes and he also had several bad throws. Even the sick TD Moss had was an overthrown ball (that was 1st half though)  He definitely needs to get back to " my favorite reciever is the open reciever". That clearly was not the case in the Jets game. Regardless of the passing play called is. It's is Brady's job to determine what player should get the ball and kept choosing the incorrect person in Moss.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Yes Brady deserves a lot of the blame but don't even try to defend Bulter especially with that "he's young"  BS.  His problem has less to do with his age and more to do with the fact he suxs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

NEGAME, I think the opposite holds true. If you go back and watch the game and read some articles published since then, you can see that on many plays in the second half he had Welker and/or Hernandez open but still threw it to Moss.

Brady suddenly calling his own plays is he?  And yeah, he stinks.  Let's trade him.  Some of these posts are just so ridiculous.  Stay in school kiddies. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

Yes Brady deserves a lot of the blame but don't even try to defend Bulter especially with that "he's young"  BS.  His problem has less to do with his age and more to do with the fact he suxs.
    Posted by Tcal2

Tcal is absolutely right about Butler. Look, just because a guy wears a Patriot Uniform does NOT make him a good or great player. THere are still guys in here defending Maroney, and guess what, he suked so stop defending the ones that dont work or fit in place.
    Look people, Brady did lose the game, he was off and it showed badly, how many times was it said before and during preseason, if the Patriots are going to win this year Brady is going to have to put up 30 points a week? We expect the defense to make mistakes, but Butler cannot cover,... period, get over it.
    Now, Brady has been given tremendous weapons, so screww Obrien, let Brady pull his head outta his azzz and use what he has. Next case please!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

NEGAME, I think the opposite holds true. If you go back and watch the game and read some articles published since then, you can see that on many plays in the second half he had Welker and/or Hernandez open but still threw it to Moss. Brady suddenly calling his own plays is he?  And yeah, he stinks.  Let's trade him.  Some of these posts are just so ridiculous.  Stay in school kiddies. 
    Posted by 123meg

Huh?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Caraway pointing the finger at the coaches is a cop out IMO. The plays the OC called would have worked had Brady done his job. The throw to Gronk was a great play and a great mismatch and Brady under threw him, thats not coaching that execution. The picks are not coaching and that INT on the deep throw to Moss was an over throw so again not a coaching issue. I watched and re watched the game and the play calling was fine it was that when they did dial up a big play brady screwed it up. Brady is not a player who does this a lot but he lost us that game not the D and and not the coaching.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Personally I think blaming Brady is a cop out. We have two consistent factors in our success the past decade, Tom Brady and Belichicks strong coaching staff. I think it is crazy to ignore the one intangible that has suffered greatly the past 5 years, loss of veteran coaches. One man cannot coach by himself and we currently have not one coordinator on our staff. Belichick much like last year and in the SUperbowl 2007 is in a huddle with the entire defense while Brady is running the offense. We need a guy to coach Brady and help make in game adjustments. I do not see this happening. Sean Peyton is right in Drew Brees's ear during games. We see it in the replays of the Superbowl. Peyton Manning still has Tom Moore one of the best co. in the league. Brady has a guy named Bill Obrien.

Statistics do not tell the tale of success but when I see Brady throw for over 4000 yards and 28 tds in an almost stagnant offense last year coming off the worst knee injury a QB can have then it tells me he is still one of the best QBs in the game.

I disagree with the entire premise that these receivers were open in the 2nd half. I have watched the game twice since Sunday and looked at several plays in the 2nd. The Jets absolutely confused the heck out of Brady and the offensive line. I counted 6 times(we didn't have the ball that often in 2nd half) that Matt Light and co. were standing holding their johnsons not blocking anybody because the Jets sold blitz and then dropped everybody back last second.

49 patriots told me Gronk was wide open in the flat on the Moss INT. Absolutely wrong. Gronk and Light stood there for 3 seconds with nobody to block until Light finally went and helped Connoly pancake a guy, then as Brady threw to a single covered Moss(with no safety help) Gronk floated out in the flat and still had a safety 6 yards away from him. If Gronk got the ball he gains 3 yards on 3 and 10. As important the commentator makes a great point on replay about Welker screwing up his route and stopping in the middle of the field with a DB pasted to him. He took too long to run his route.

I challenge each of you to watch the 2nd half and rewind plays. Look at who the offensive line blocks( or better yet doesn't block because nobody is there). Our receivers were swallowed up by 6-7 DB's/LB's. I am not saying Brady does not deserve his share of responsibility but the Jets defensive adjustments are the reason we were confused on offense. We were out coached in the 2nd half of that game.

I also HATE the fact we cannot run the ball. Every great passing game is hurt when it counts by inability to run the ball in key moments. History tells the tale.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

He doesn't call his own plays. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

"Brady lost that game".  Go back to nintendo, the NFL is way too much for you to understand apparently. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Killa,  I herd for 4 years from guys like you defending Hobbs with the same lame azz excuses.  Those of us saying Hobbs suxed where right (you were wrong).  The same holds true now.  Those of us saying Butler suxs are right and you are wrong (again).  No biggie, it doesn't make you a bad person.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Dont worry about him Dynasty he is one of those guys who apparently thinks that if you say one bad things about Brady that its not ok so dont worry about him he has his head stuck up his a ss.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

MVP read my post at the top of this page. I respect your opinion and totally agree about it not being on the D(although they need work) but I think this game was about much more then just Brady. You don't go from being great in the 1st half to stinking in the 2nd half without other variables involved.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Fair enough killa,  you tell me when I can expect him to be able to field his position.  Year 3....4....5....6.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Fair enough killa,  you tell me when I can expect him to be able to field his position.  Year 3....4....5....6.
    Posted by Tcal2

2nd half of this season. I get what you're saying about Hobbs and I was never around to debate his future impact but with Butler, I have a different feeling. Part of that is gut, part of that is seeing that he's close to plays but just not finishing them and lastly, it's being an optimistic fan.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I blame the OC! whoops, I forgot, the Pats don't have one!!!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well Brady faced the best collective pass defense in the league since 1993 last year, and the Jets were the best D in the league last year and made the Ravens offense (with a decent QB, multiple receiving threats and an actual running game) look pretty bad the week before, so that might have something to do it. 

The stats also tell that Brady did better against his opponents last year than any other QB in the league did against their opponents.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I am not trying to put it all on Brady TrueChamp, does the D need work? Yes. Does the coaching need to step it up? Yes. But neither of those things were so bad in that game that we lost. The OC called some good plays that had Brady executed on we would have done better. And the D looked like sh*t but so would a lot of other D if they had a O that was going 3 and out the whole second half.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

MVP, I do think Brady made some bad throws but  I also think the jets defense confused Brady, Koppen and the O-line for almost every series. This is where coaching comes into play. We didn't know when to audible to the run and when to stick with MAX protection. Too many times we called for MAX protect with 5 linemen and a TE or 2 with 3 or 4 receiving options. The Jets would only rush 4 men leaving 2 blockers standing there with nothing to do. This would allow them to flood the secondary and wait for the pass. We didn't realize this until it was too late. We got it together on the last drive until Light was smoked by Talyor( for the 173rd time of his career).

Brady lit the Jets up for 180 and 2 tds in the 1st half. Do you think he just forgot how to play good in the 2nd? I'm just saying too many other things happened to just say Brady had a bad game( or bad half).

I literally dissected the 2nd half and we were beat at almost every position. To me it is too much of a coincidence for each guy to lose his matchup. Coaching was clearly better. Ryan and co. had their players in a better position to succeed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Caraway pointing the finger at the coaches is a cop out IMO. The plays the OC called would have worked had Brady done his job. The throw to Gronk was a great play and a great mismatch and Brady under threw him, thats not coaching that execution. The picks are not coaching and that INT on the deep throw to Moss was an over throw so again not a coaching issue. I watched and re watched the game and the play calling was fine it was that when they did dial up a big play brady screwed it up. Brady is not a player who does this a lot but he lost us that game not the D and and not the coaching.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Killa, I would agree with you if Brady played bad the entire game.  Does it not strike you odd how most every time Brady plays bad like this (going back to last year) it is in the 2nd half?  Maybe I'm wrong, but unless Brady is drinking up the booze in the locker room at halftime, is it really likely he comes out suddenly unable to make good decisions, throws, etc?  And what about the RB's who suddenly can't gain any yardage?  Is Brady handing the ball to them wrong?  You could be right, but I'll stick to my belief you are observing the symptom of the problem, and not the problem.  

Of course, it could be that we are both partly right and partly wrong.

Sections
Shortcuts