I can see Ebner replacing Slater

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FcukUPayMe. Show FcukUPayMe's posts

I can see Ebner replacing Slater

As great as it is to have a Pro Bowler in Slater, the way the Patriots have been throwing everything at Ebner in the first two days back it seems like the Patriots are trying to test Ebner to see if they have something. He has a lot more versalility than Slater, who is really only a receiver in name alone but Ebner has been practicing with the 2nd team defense. Just some random thoughts. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: I can see Ebner replacing Slater

I'm really rooting for Ebner, but Slater is a great special teamer. I can't for the preseason games to start so I can see them both in action.

Still,I don't see Ebner, Slater, and Edelman all making the team because they are all strictly special teamers (from what we know so far). I think Edelman is a near lock, so if they see something special in Ebner then it is completely possible that they cut Slater.

I like Ebner over Ihedigbo as ricky mentioned...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

You can have two gunners, guys. No need to HAVE to pick between them. 

Ebner can make the team as the second SS and Slater is taking a spot as the 6th WR. Branch isn't making this team, he's not even participating in practices anymore. BB probably told him to get ready for the first round of cuts. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I can definitely see Branch getting cut this year, but BB really seems to value chemistry with Brady and they definitely have that. I know that just about every receiver on the team has some history with Brady, but the those two have had some clutch moments together.

There are going to be so many hard cuts that it's near impossible to come up with a 53 man roster. I think Ebner has a good shot at making the team as long as he stays healthy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FcukUPayMe. Show FcukUPayMe's posts

In Response to Re: I can see Ebner replacing Slater:
    I can definitely see Branch getting cut this year, but BB really seems to value chemistry with Brady and they definitely have that. I know that just about every receiver on the team has some history with Brady, but the those two have had some clutch moments together. There are going to be so many hard cuts that it's near impossible to come up with a 53 man roster. I think Ebner has a good shot at making the team as long as he stays healthy.
    Posted by magicalhobo

I feel like BB has put more importance on chemistry with Brady in year's past than this year because of the lack of development that had occurred at the WR position. With Branch you had someone who had an already established rapport with Brady and didn't have to waste time trying to develop it, like they did with Tate, Price, Slater, etc. 

But now, Gaffney, Stallworth and Edelman have all played with Brady in some capicity and Llyod both has shown he can work well with Brady and has already been in a McDaniels system. So Branch's biggest assest has become negated, which makes me feel that BB won't hesitate to cut him if he's truly not one of the best recievers on the team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Ebner is a great "feel-good" kind of pick, but he's completely unproven. BB loves veteran leadership and values people who know his schemes and have proven themselves. Ebner's destined for either the 53 active roster as a ST ace or the PS to develop. Though a Slater cut wouldn't be the most surprising thing BB's done, I'd still be absolutely astonished if he cut Ebner for a proven Pro Bowler and captain.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Ebner is a great "feel-good" kind of pick, but he's completely unproven. BB loves veteran leadership and values people who know his schemes and have proven themselves. Ebner's destined for either the 53 active roster as a ST ace or the PS to develop. Though a Slater cut wouldn't be the most surprising thing BB's done, I'd still be absolutely astonished if he cut Ebner for a proven Pro Bowler and captain.
    Posted by JMUFranco

This.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Can't see Ebner over Slater so far FUpayme. Ebner is getting the reps as Belichick needs to see what he's got. BB already knows he has an outstanding ST player with  Slater with a bit of mediocre versatility. ST is important to BB. 53 slots is tough this year especially with the newcomers.

Wish you well ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

cutting Slater would mean $2million in dead money. never happen

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Ebner is the nice story but Slater isn't going anywhere.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

slater is a favorite of BB and a team captain. he returns kicks, is a stud on special teams, and can fill in on D in needed. ebner over ihedigbo.
    Posted by ricky12684

This.

I think it will be Ebner vs - White/Ihedigbo/Cole for a ST position honestly. It doesn't hurt Ebner is a DB since the Pats will most likely carry 10 DB's and I would figure at least 2 will mainly be ST players who can sub into a DB spot

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

What about a trade? Clearly Slater has some value, Edelman too. If Ebner is going to be a good player, with some versatility (never mind more size...younger) - see if you can trade for an offensive lineman.

I know everyone falls in love with Edelman in training camp and during that one catch or a couple of returns he'll make during the regular season, but I've seen him play live many times...I don't think he'll ever be a consistent wide receiver. I've seen this guy be wide open on crossing routes and have the ball hit him right in the hands - he just drops it. I'm not saying he can't make the 5 yard catch and make something out of that, but if you ever expect this guy to become a real wide receiver, I think you can forget it. Never mind the fact that he comes up limping 70% of the time after a big hit.

Of course I can't see a team trading an offensive lineman for a special teams player. It's funny how we all hear how important special teams are, but special teams guys don't have much clout.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

What about a trade? Clearly Slater has some value, Edelman too. If Ebner is going to be a good player, with some versatility (never mind more size...younger) - see if you can trade for an offensive lineman. I know everyone falls in love with Edelman in training camp and during that one catch or a couple of returns he'll make during the regular season, but I've seen him play live many times...I don't think he'll ever be a consistent wide receiver. I've seen this guy be wide open on crossing routes and have the ball hit him right in the hands - he just drops it. I'm not saying he can't make the 5 yard catch and make something out of that, but if you ever expect this guy to become a real wide receiver, I think you can forget it. Never mind the fact that he comes up limping 70% of the time after a big hit. Of course I can't see a team trading an offensive lineman for a special teams player. It's funny how we all hear how important special teams are, but special teams guys don't have much clout.
    Posted by mthurl

if we are trying to make roomon the roster for him why would we trade for a player?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What about a trade? Clearly Slater has some value, Edelman too. If Ebner is going to be a good player, with some versatility (never mind more size...younger) - see if you can trade for an offensive lineman. I know everyone falls in love with Edelman in training camp and during that one catch or a couple of returns he'll make during the regular season, but I've seen him play live many times...I don't think he'll ever be a consistent wide receiver. I've seen this guy be wide open on crossing routes and have the ball hit him right in the hands - he just drops it. I'm not saying he can't make the 5 yard catch and make something out of that, but if you ever expect this guy to become a real wide receiver, I think you can forget it. Never mind the fact that he comes up limping 70% of the time after a big hit. Of course I can't see a team trading an offensive lineman for a special teams player. It's funny how we all hear how important special teams are, but special teams guys don't have much clout.
    Posted by mthurl

I really don't think any have any real value. I mean they are ST players. To us that means a lot because BB typically has 3-4 players on the team specifically for ST's every year, but to the rest of the league ST's is where you toss the 3rd stringers.

With Edelman, he has a special role on the team which is why I wouldn't trade him. First he's a great gunner on ST, esp in punt coverage. Except for Slater he might be the best gunner we currently have, and he also returns kicks but I hope they can upgrade the KR position. Second he's an ironman. This might not seem important but one of the Pats best triats is being able to plug in player spite any injures that come their way. Having a 2 way player like Edelman saves you that extra 1 position on the team which when you can only bring so many players that 1 extra spot is worth it's weight in gold. Third is that he gets lost in coverage when used sparingly. Now I wouldn't want him in key situations or as a starter but the right situations as a 4th WR on the field put him next to Welker and there are times that the D looks confused honestly. It's like they never have seen 2 white WR's on the field at the same time and if you stack them the confusion grows. In those instances I've seem the DB's always double up on Edelman by mistake, letting Welker get a clean release, or they double up on Welker and Edelman gets a quick 5-10yrds. Like I said it happens maybe once or twice a game but that 1 extra player combined with ST and allowing for that 1 extra roster spot makes Edelman much more valuable to the Pats then any other team.

BTW I not a big fan of Edelman, for what he does I think he's solid but if he didn't play on all 3 aspects of the game and/or wasn't a good to great gunner I'd want him booted but he does fill a important role on the team so no need to get rid of him yet imo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: I can see Ebner replacing Slater : I really don't think any have any real value. I mean they are ST players. To us that means a lot because BB typically has 3-4 players on the team specifically for ST's every year, but to the rest of the league ST's is where you toss the 3rd stringers. With Edelman, he has a special role on the team which is why I wouldn't trade him. First he's a great gunner on ST, esp in punt coverage. Except for Slater he might be the best gunner we currently have, and he also returns kicks but I hope they can upgrade the KR position. Second he's an ironman. This might not seem important but one of the Pats best triats is being able to plug in player spite any injures that come their way. Having a 2 way player like Edelman saves you that extra 1 position on the team which when you can only bring so many players that 1 extra spot is worth it's weight in gold. Third is that he gets lost in coverage when used sparingly. Now I wouldn't want him in key situations or as a starter but the right situations as a 4th WR on the field put him next to Welker and there are times that the D looks confused honestly. It's like they never have seen 2 white WR's on the field at the same time and if you stack them the confusion grows. In those instances I've seem the DB's always double up on Edelman by mistake, letting Welker get a clean release, or they double up on Welker and Edelman gets a quick 5-10yrds. Like I said it happens maybe once or twice a game but that 1 extra player combined with ST and allowing for that 1 extra roster spot makes Edelman much more valuable to the Pats then any other team. BTW I not a big fan of Edelman, for what he does I think he's solid but if he didn't play on all 3 aspects of the game and/or wasn't a good to great gunner I'd want him booted but he does fill a important role on the team so no need to get rid of him yet imo
    Posted by PatsEng

Yeah I agree with just about most of that (except calling Edelman an iron man). I do think that special teams guys don't have much trade value, however you spent two paragraphs mentioning how many different things Edleman can do - do NFL teams feel the same way? If they do, then they should be able to land a guard...not a pro bowl guard, but something half decent. I'm not saying it will happen; trades just don't seam to work in the NFL...why? I don't know.

I love how quick Edelman is, but I don't ever see him being a full time wide receiver and I don't see him staying healthy enough to be counted on as this jack of all trades gritty type.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: I can see Ebner replacing Slater : Yeah I agree with just about most of that (except calling Edelman an iron man). I do think that special teams guys don't have much trade value, however you spent two paragraphs mentioning how many different things Edleman can do - do NFL teams feel the same way? If they do, then they should be able to land a guard...not a pro bowl guard, but something half decent. I'm not saying it will happen; trades just don't seam to work in the NFL...why? I don't know. I love how quick Edelman is, but I don't ever see him being a full time wide receiver and I don't see him staying healthy enough to be counted on as this jack of all trades gritty type.
    Posted by mthurl

mthurl - Edelman played O and D last year which is why I called him an iron man. Playing both O and D is iron man football.

Yes I mentioned a long list but from another teams perspective compared to just our own, a good-great gunner isn't nearly important to other teams but can win you a job on this team. Since most teams don't have pure ST players on their roster Edelman saving them 1 spot played on D and O doesn't actually save them any spots. So on another team Edelman is just a JAG, but because the Pats carry specifically ST players they need to conserve as many spots as possible and since they have Welker, Edelman on specific plays does add a bit on confusion when both are on the field.

So as I said Edelman is much more valuable to the Pats then any other team out there. The best you'd get for Edelman in the form of a G is a third string G at best.

Mthurl, do you actually think trading Edelman would bring in a G better then what we currently have on the team? (ie McDonald, Thomas, Weems, Wendell) If not then you would be trading Edelman for essentially nothing since they wouldn't make the team anyways

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

The op should get the Post of the year award for this discussion. Ebner injured to begin camp, coaches need to put him in to see what he has before cuts are made=Slater, a captain, BB favorite, all pro, with a new, nice contract, being replaced. This was well thought out and ingenious!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

On Ebner and Slater: you field 11 men even on special teams play. Slater makes the team. If Ebner can be a factor as a regular on special teams he makes the 53 and not the practice squad.

On Edelman: I do not think he plays any D this year nor do I think they use him more than as an occasional KOR. Reason: with Welker's status after this year uncertain (and the fact that some team is likely to outbid the Pats as they stick to their pay structure - and so Welker's return is dependent on him compromising a bit more) I suspect BB wants Edelman to focus on the slot as a critical option to the Pats in 2013.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

On Ebner and Slater: you field 11 men even on special teams play. Slater makes the team. If Ebner can be a factor as a regular on special teams he makes the 53 and not the practice squad. On Edelman: I do not think he plays any D this year nor do I think they use him more than as an occasional KOR. Reason: with Welker's status after this year uncertain (and the fact that some team is likely to outbid the Pats as they stick to their pay structure - and so Welker's return is dependent on him compromising a bit more) I suspect BB wants Edelman to focus on the slot as a critical option to the Pats in 2013.
    Posted by portfolio1

Though I agree I don't see Edelman playing much D this year (only if injures to the CB's arise and they need someone in a pinch like last year) I also don't see BB grooming him for Welkers replacement either. Given Ballard and Fells I actually see BB using Hern as Welkers replacement long term and justify giving Hern a $6mil a year contract by saying that he's now the #1 F WR option long term

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: I can see Ebner replacing Slater : Though I agree I don't see Edelman playing much D this year (only if injures to the CB's arise and they need someone in a pinch like last year) I also don't see BB grooming him for Welkers replacement either. Given Ballard and Fells I actually see BB using Hern as Welkers replacement long term and justify giving Hern a $6mil a year contract by saying that he's now the #1 F WR option long term
    Posted by PatsEng

You could be right but I did not mean that Edelman would be the one to fill the position but rather BB would want to give Edelman the best possible preparation for competing for the spot as he is seemingly the best WR currently for it. And by this I am not saying BB plays favorites. I am saying that BB will try to set up his team for next year while getting the most out of them this year.

In short - if Edelman is going to become a regular WR I think BB would want to have him really focus on it this year. I think there are now enough DBs with the addition of FA safety, drafted safety whop can play some CB/nickel, FA CB, etc. plus the development of Dowling, McCourty, Arrington and Moore so that using Edelman as a DB is not critical.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: I can see Ebner replacing Slater : You could be right but I did not mean that Edelman would be the one to fill the position but rather BB would want to give Edelman the best possible preparation for competing for the spot as he is seemingly the best WR currently for it. And by this I am not saying BB plays favorites. I am saying that BB will try to set up his team for next year while getting the most out of them this year. In short - if Edelman is going to become a regular WR I think BB would want to have him really focus on it this year. I think there are now enough DBs with the addition of FA safety, drafted safety whop can play some CB/nickel, FA CB, etc. plus the development of Dowling, McCourty, Arrington and Moore so that using Edelman as a DB is not critical.
    Posted by portfolio1

I don't think Edelman is the best option to replace Welker. I agree with PatsEng in that Hern is I think a better option. BB's flyer on Ballard speaks volumes here. I think BB prefers 2 inline TE's that can both catch and block effectively. Ballard and Gronk fit that bill. I think he sees Hern as more of a hybrid WR/RB, not an inline TE, so moving him to the slot or outwide or in the backfield he can cover Welker's duties, and I think more effectively (proven) than Edelman. Not to say Edelman can't do it, but Hern has proven more in his short time here than Edelman has.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: I can see Ebner replacing Slater : mthurl - Edelman played O and D last year which is why I called him an iron man. Playing both O and D is iron man football. Yes I mentioned a long list but from another teams perspective compared to just our own, a good-great gunner isn't nearly important to other teams but can win you a job on this team. Since most teams don't have pure ST players on their roster Edelman saving them 1 spot played on D and O doesn't actually save them any spots. So on another team Edelman is just a JAG, but because the Pats carry specifically ST players they need to conserve as many spots as possible and since they have Welker, Edelman on specific plays does add a bit on confusion when both are on the field. So as I said Edelman is much more valuable to the Pats then any other team out there. The best you'd get for Edelman in the form of a G is a third string G at best. Mthurl, do you actually think trading Edelman would bring in a G better then what we currently have on the team? (ie McDonald, Thomas, Weems, Wendell) If not then you would be trading Edelman for essentially nothing since they wouldn't make the team anyways
    Posted by PatsEng

Ok, I guess you're right. I was thinking more of a second string guard, but you're right, they probably wouldn't even get that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Great thread and discussion.  I'm inclined to think that Slater goes nowhere and Ebner ends up either as the 53rd player on the roster or on the PS.  But what the hell do I know?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: I can see Ebner replacing Slater : Ok, I guess you're right. I was thinking more of a second string guard, but you're right, they probably wouldn't even get that.
    Posted by mthurl

If we could get a second string G for Edelman that was better then our current second stringers then I'd be all for it, but that's asking a lot for a player that has more value for the Pats then he does for I'd say 75% of the league

Now Slater you might have a shot at a second string G (because he's a pro-bowl STer), but again would that second string G be that much better to what we already have to jettison a pro-bowl STer?

Sections
Shortcuts