I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!

Here we are 2 wins from another Super Bowl and I just can't stop giggling thinking about all the jumpers from back in April whining about how we didn't draft a pass rusher.  The endless threads and bitching at the time was horrendous.  I remember starting a few threads of my own trying to shut the whiners up. 

So what have we all learned?  BB not only know more about football then any living human but he knows his team and it's needs.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!

BB is a horrible GM....the worst in the league, he also runs up the score, and he's mean. His defense sucks too, they let up a lot of passing yards!

BDC's finest!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

You know what's crazy Tcal, you will probably get krap for this and hear "koolaid drinker" and all that but there are really people out there that believe deep down that anyone who thinks the guy with 5 SB rings and an army of paid professional scouts at his disposal is less qualified to pick players than they are using Internet scouting reports. I'm not talking about guys like Mbileau who like to talk draft but about all the monday morning QBs.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm still fuming over the Jerry Hughes debacle!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yes because having Sheard or Reed wouldn't have helped improve the D giving them an even better chance at winning a SB right now; at least not as much as Ras has provided 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moorepatsfan54. Show moorepatsfan54's posts

The reason the Pats didn't draft a DE in the first round is that by the time the Pats pick came up 7 to 8 DE have already been taken. So what do you do draft the 9th best DE or at the time arguably the best LT in the draft, and pro long Bradys career by a year or two.
     With that said this year their should be a good DE available late in the first round, for the fact that so many DE where taken in the first two rounds this past season. It always seems that BB goes against the grain when drafting. If everyone is drafting one way he will draft another.
    By the way he will not draft two first rounders he will trade the lesser pick for a second and future first. the reason he does it that hopefully the first round team he trades with will be a stinker and will be a high pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

"Hind sight is always 20-20...lookin' back it's still a bit fuzzy!" - D. Mustaine

I was in the camp of folks irate that they didn't really address their issues as they stood at the end of last season.  It's not like we haven't been talking pass rush for years.  Some of that was mitigated by knowing we were seeing more 4-3.  The promise of a motivated Haynesworth (for the price of pocket lint) was tempting.  We had some good DLineman in there and depth...and they've been quite steady all year with some great bursts, but also some lulls - not amazing or outstanding (save for the big fella #75) from start to finish.

Sometimes it's just about the right team gelling at the right time.  Going back to the depth...we've kept G. Warren (who I've always liked since he got here) and S. Ellis pretty fresh...here's the time when those wily old veterans can possibly turn it up for a couple hours a week.  Seems to me too that in 2007, the guys were sputtering towards the end...especially on the defensive side.  This group seems to be moving forward and progressing in stages as we approach the crecendo.

I still think they need defensive improvement going forward.  But everyone on the roster currently is buckling up the chin straps and preparing to get after it.  They're all pulling for each other which was NOT happening back in 2009.  We might just have the right mix here for the next couple of weeks. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We could still use a pass rusher, we're just lucky we haven't faced an elite QB. We've only faced Tim Tebonehead. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!:
    In response to "Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!": Well unfortunately BB doesn't have the power of hindsight when he's drafting. But one thing I do know is that both those guys had less sacks than Carter and Anderson so I don't think it's a given that they would even be starters on the Pats. I also recall all the Gholston talk in 08 and Hughes in 10 but nobody ever comes here and says "I wanted Gholston"mwhich makes it pretty convenient to believe how great you could draft if you keep forgetting about all the busts you wanted to pick. I even remember how nobody wanted Hernandez and Gronkowski and McCourty. A few wanted Spikes. Seems pretty convenient to get behind those picks now using hindsight.
    Posted by shenanigan

I remember a lot of the regulars in MB's thread wanting Reed and Sheard in the late 1st and I also remember most wanted Hern or Gronk (not both though). Yes hindsight is 20/20 but isn't this kind of what this thread is about? In hindsight we are here without drafting a pass rusher, but to say not getting a pass rusher wouldn't have helped this D is crazy, esp considering that Ras hasn't provided anything and the 2 big pass rushers taken after Ras have been productive for rooks in their respective teams. Yes, Carter and Anderson have performed better but long term for the team would you rather have a Sheard or Carter long term?

It's all what ifs and you can't say one way or another how drafting a pass rusher would have affected the team but to simply point to being in the AFCC as a reason not to draft a pass rusher is a absurd premise when the addition of of pass rusher could benefit the team which Anderson is our only consistent pass rusher at this moment.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

yet , where would thi defense be without Anderson? BB addressed the issue in his own way. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The reason the Pats didn't draft a DE in the first round is that by the time the Pats pick came up 7 to 8 DE have already been taken. So what do you do draft the 9th best DE or at the time arguably the best LT in the draft, and pro long Bradys career by a year or two.  With that said this year their should be a good DE available late in the first round, for the fact that so many DE where taken in the first two rounds this past season. It always seems that BB goes against the grain when drafting. If everyone is drafting one way he will draft another. By the way he will not draft two first rounders he will trade the lesser pick for a second and future first. the reason he does it that hopefully the first round team he trades with will be a stinker and will be a high pick.
    Posted by moorepatsfan54

I would think the switch to a 4-3 would open up the potential pool of defensive line candidates next year, even at our 32nd pick slot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Stupid post... listen up Tcal.. We needed an offensive lineman, so ill leave that first pick alone.  Nate solder is going to be solid for years to come.  Ras I Dowling.. Stevan Ridley...Shane Vereen.  They contribute ZERO to this team right now.  HERNANDEZ was the leading rusher in our last game.

Regardless of where we are in the current standings, makes no difference to me when reffering to decisions made or not made in the past.  They were poor picks then, and they are poor picks now.  We needed a pass rush and instead we OVERloaded on RB and got a gimpy CB.  Benjarvis/Woodhead/Faulk would be doing JUST FINE right about now.  BJGE doesnt have a fumble to his name btw..  thats 2 early round picks that could have been  used on the defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!":
    In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : I remember a lot of the regulars in MB's thread wanting Reed and Sheard in the late 1st and I also remember most wanted Hern or Gronk (not both though). Yes hindsight is 20/20 but isn't this kind of what this thread is about? In hindsight we are here without drafting a pass rusher, but to say not getting a pass rusher wouldn't have helped this D is crazy, esp considering that Ras hasn't provided anything and the 2 big pass rushers taken after Ras have been productive for rooks in their respective teams. Yes, Carter and Anderson have performed better but long term for the team would you rather have a Sheard or Carter long term? It's all what ifs and you can't say one way or another how drafting a pass rusher would have affected the team but to simply point to being in the AFCC as a reason not to draft a pass rusher is a absurd premise when the addition of of pass rusher could benefit the team which Anderson is our only consistent pass rusher at this moment. Posted by PatsEng
    I'm not against drafting good players, I'm just not convinced anyone around here has the answers. I'm not against talking draft either but frankly, if the teams stacked with pro bowlers (and it is, tied for the most with SF) and they're winning games (and they are and are a number one seed), I'd rather not have endless threads every week throughout the season about how BB can't draft or can't GM (and there were). It's just irrational pessimism in my book.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Stupid post... listen up Tcal.. We needed an offensive lineman, so ill leave that first pick alone.  Nate solder is going to be solid for years to come.  Ras I Dowling.. Stevan Ridley...Shane Vereen.  They contribute ZERO to this team right now.  HERNANDEZ was the leading rusher in our last game. Regardless of where we are in the current standings, makes no difference to me when reffering to decisions made or not made in the past.  They were poor picks then, and they are poor picks now.  We needed a pass rush and instead we OVERloaded on RB and got a gimpy CB.  Benjarvis/Woodhead/Faulk would be doing JUST FINE right about now.  BJGE doesnt have a fumble to his name btw..  thats 2 early round picks that could have been  used on the defense.
    Posted by Ender587

Well I wouldn't go that far. Ridley has been a good productive RB down the stretch so he was a good pick. Vereen being a healthy scratch for a number of games is concerning but most wanted a RB. The big question mark is Ras really. I think we all understood the need for secondary help but an off injured CB in the college game over a pass rusher seemed odd at best. When he acquired Haynesworth, Carter, and Anderson it seemed to make more sense but since Haynesworth didn't work out and Carter is showing his age in his knees then it does make you wonder why not try to get younger in a position of need. I hope Anderson and Carter comes back but those 1 yr contracts where nothing but gambles and band-aids at best at the time verses drafting a player in what many considered the deepest front 7 draft in years

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Why the hell didn't we trade up for Vernon Gholston? I mean, have you seen that guys arms?!?! BB is such a moron.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to "Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!": I'm not against drafting good players, I'm just not convinced anyone around here has the answers. I'm not against talking draft either but frankly, if the teams stacked with pro bowlers (and it is, tied for the most with SF) and they're winning games (and they are and are a number one seed), I'd rather not have endless threads every week throughout the season about how BB can't draft or can't GM (and there were). It's just irrational pessimism in my book.
    Posted by shenanigan

That we can agree on. I honestly prefer MB's thread over the random posters we need to draft player x thread but, the reg's in MB's thread are typically pretty good at sorting out players. We tend to take a lot into account and don't jump to rash conclusions. I understand the frustration behind poster who don't do their homework on draft picks but taking it to the other extreme in threads like this one seems silly too considering pass rush this year was still inconsistent and hasn't been addressed long term yet. It also seems silly to say that grabbing some of the players discussed on MB's thread as possible pass rush solutions in last years draft wouldn't be beneficial to the current team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Stupid post... listen up Tcal.. We needed an offensive lineman, so ill leave that first pick alone.  Nate solder is going to be solid for years to come.  Ras I Dowling.. Stevan Ridley...Shane Vereen.  They contribute ZERO to this team right now.  HERNANDEZ was the leading rusher in our last game. Regardless of where we are in the current standings, makes no difference to me when reffering to decisions made or not made in the past.  They were poor picks then, and they are poor picks now.  We needed a pass rush and instead we OVERloaded on RB and got a gimpy CB.  Benjarvis/Woodhead/Faulk would be doing JUST FINE right about now.  BJGE doesnt have a fumble to his name btw..  thats 2 early round picks that could have been  used on the defense.
    Posted by Ender587

Ender play chess much?  The great minds are not only thinking of their next move but many move in the future.  Maybe, just maybe, BB is making certain picks with no intent of expecting an immediate contribution.  Think about it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Ender play chess much?  The great minds are not only thinking of their next move but many move in the future.  Maybe, just maybe, BB is making certain picks with no intent of expecting an immediate contribution.  Think about it.
    Posted by tcal2-

Honestly though, I think Bill Belichick was moving down in the drafts because they didn't want to allocate too much money on "higher" draft picks.  Why pay one guy $x when we can fill two needs for $x-y.  I think he was waiting for that rookie cap to kick in before taking talent.  In that sense, I didn't and do NOT agree.  Sometimes you gotta take talent when you can and not think you can outsmart everyone else.  You can't improve the team by swinging and missing in free agency in addition to trading down for value in the draft.  There's only so much Brady can cover up for...and to some extent, this year is no different.

Sometimes these players make him look smart...and on the flip side, they make him look like a dumb@s$.  He's doing a good job and navigating the tricky waters of the NFL season.  I'm hoping they are gelling at the right time and can make a good run of it.  There's not one team left that I can't come up with five reasons why they could standing up at the end of this NFL season as champions. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : Ender play chess much?  The great minds are not only thinking of their next move but many move in the future.  Maybe, just maybe, BB is making certain picks with no intent of expecting an immediate contribution.  Think about it.
    Posted by tcal2-

Ya I play chess.. you can't argue with what I said, you can only mis understand.  Maybe if we take this point by point it will be better. 

POINT1:Ridley/Vereen -  Our running backs are not in need of repair, if he wanted to look to the future, he should have just taken Mark Ingram.  Instead he wasted 2 draft picks on players that do the exact same thing that our current players do.  If we upgraded, it wasn't much.  Which is evident by Hernandez getting more carries/yards than any other RB.  I challenge you to refute any of that.  Only plausable outcome is that we wasted a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

POINT 2: D-Line - By your logic, these chess geniouses should have spent more picks on our D-Line because their ability to see in the future would have shown them that it's much older and in need of more work than our current RB core.  If you disagree with that... reference POINT 1, and our current ranked 32nd place defense... thats last.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yes because having Sheard or Reed wouldn't have helped improve the D giving them an even better chance at winning a SB right now; at least not as much as Ras has provided 
    Posted by PatsEng

completely correct, dumb thread here

we spent the 33rd pick on an injury risk CB when Ayers was there (perfect if we went with a lot of 4-3) or as said above Brooks Reed (a 3-4 DE/OLB)

Matt Roth was also allowed to sign with a crummy team for a pittance when we had him in here just b/c he got a little greedy and asked for an extra 500k??? It's caled bargaining Bill... settle on 250k more and wrap him up.

We also should have at least kept Sanders and not held onto Merriweather hoping we could trade him when 31 teams knew we didn't like him, them dump him anyhow after you sacrificed Sanders to make $ for Ellis/Ocho... or EVEN BETTER actually spent some $ that you still had and not let Goldson fly back to San Fran after he met with us over the summer.

This team could have Ayers, Roth and Goldson instead of Koutovidas, Tarpinian, and Sergio.

Not to mention that a different and better personel at OLB/DE could have made the Carter injury never occur if he wasn't being asked to do so much...

and of course we could have used pick #28 on something (Wilkerson, Sheard, Hayward) over Vareen and pick #27 this year... although the jury is still out on that, we didn't pass over a Matthews for Butler/Tate.... yet.

Let's not celebrate a 13-3 record and great execution/coaching by claiming the correct decisions were made in the draft and free agency... they were not

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Here we go again with the anal "I told you so" thread. I suppose that would be nice if you were right.

The book on BB the GM is written. He is an average drafter. He is mostly a good trader. He is a mixed bag with FA signings.

You may have noticed his QB just tied the all-time record for TD passes in a playoff game. A guy like that makes any GM look good.

As far as drafting a pass rusher, people need to get a clue. This D might be showing itself not to be terrible, but it isn't going to win any awards.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : completely correct, dumb thread here we spent the 33rd pick on an injury risk CB when Ayers was there (perfect if we went with a lot of 4-3) or as said above Brooks Reed (a 3-4 DE/OLB) Matt Roth was also allowed to sign with a crummy team for a pittance when we had him in here just b/c he got a little greedy and asked for an extra 500k??? It's caled bargaining Bill... settle on 250k more and wrap him up. We also should have at least kept Sanders and not held onto Merriweather hoping we could trade him when 31 teams knew we didn't like him, them dump him anyhow after you sacrificed Sanders to make $ for Ellis/Ocho... or EVEN BETTER actually spent some $ that you still had and not let Goldson fly back to San Fran after he met with us over the summer. This team could have Ayers, Roth and Goldson instead of Koutovidas, Tarpinian, and Sergio. Not to mention that a different and better personel at OLB/DE could have made the Carter injury never occur if he wasn't being asked to do so much... and of course we could have used pick #28 on something (Wilkerson, Sheard, Hayward) over Vareen and pick #27 this year... although the jury is still out on that, we didn't pass over a Matthews for Butler/Tate.... yet. Let's not celebrate a 13-3 record and great execution/coaching by claiming the correct decisions were made in the draft and free agency... they were not
    Posted by rameakap

Sighhh...what else is your crystal ball saying?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

he definitely hit a home run with the additions of carter and anderson...they have found new life here, and like i said in another forum, carter's injury is sad not just for the patriots, but for himself, he has already said it is killing him to not be able to be out there....however, since carter went down, this defense has actually been playing better, and its just a testiment to the coaching style of BB, the way he has rallied the troops and got them believing is just amazing. you can tell these new defensive guys are playing better than they could have ever imagined playing if they were anywhere else...

Sections
Shortcuts