I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!:
    In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : How many AFC Championships do you think we would have been in without Brady? My count with BB and no Brady is 0 for 2 in even making the playoffs much less getting to an AFC Championship. You might want to chastise the OP for opening this can of "I told you so " worms rather than the goaded respondents.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Why do you insist on making everything about Brady? First of all, the only true season BB didn't make it to the playoffs 'without' Brady was his first year here. I think some can pardon him for that after taking over a pitiful roster. Secondly, you're really going to hold BB hostage for not making the playoffs for going 11-5 without his star QB? You can never give credit where credit is due. I never said anything about taking away from Brady. I think Brady is the best QB of all time. But why must make everything about him? I made a case to point out how we should appreciate what we have and to stop b*tching. I appreciate what BB and Kraft have done for us. Hell, they're the reason Brady is here. Nobody is taking anything away from Brady so relax with your man crush.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

It's all what ifs and you can't say one way or another how drafting a pass rusher would have affected the team but to simply point to being in the AFCC as a reason not to draft a pass rusher is a absurd premise when the addition of of pass rusher could benefit the team which Anderson is our only consistent pass rusher at this moment.

Agreed. We still could use a pass rusher. We give up too many pass yards to lousy QB's and this puts too much pressure on Brady to win every game himself. It was not a problem against Denver but it could have been a problem vs. teams with elite QB's like NO or GB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

And Babe, why is it not okay for Tcal to make a thread on this? There are about 500 duplicate threads from fans b*tching and complaining that we didn't draft so and so and blah blah blah. He made a point that maybe we should all stop deeming BB's moves as 'bad' and 'stupid' moves when he clearly knows the formula to get us to the big games. I shouldn't 'chastise' Tcal for pointing this out and bringing up the past year with the whiners about our drafting and personell moves. Who we should be 'chastising' are the morons who think they can do a better job than BB.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : There you go again. Brady is the only reason BB wins games. Never mind that they went a whole season without him (less a few minutes) and went 11-5. Not 2-14 like the Colts. Not 5-11. Not 8-8. 11-5. Guess they got lucky game after game. Starting a QB who not only had never started in the pros but wasn't even the starter in college! Lets put your rediculous theory to rest. Check out the O line. Light, Mankins, Koppen, Connolly, Canon, Volmer, Solder. All good to really good. None the very best perhaps. None the best at run blocking or the best at pass blocking (though I think Solder will be all world pass blocker when the day is over). But good at everything. And coachable. And hard workers. And a winning attitude. This is a big part of the team. Check out the TEs.... nuf said there. Less strong at WR but Welker is the best at what he does and Branch is still a good player when healthy. Check out the punter and kicker. Both very good. Check out some special teams players like Slater... The only less than average aspect to the special teams is the blocking on kick off returns. THey are building the core of a good D. Vince, Pryor when he comes back, Deaderick, Love, Brace... Mayo, Spikes, Nink, Chung... Maybe McCourty will be a good safety or bounce back at corner. Have to wait to see about Dowling. Then you have guys like Edelman who are cleary good football players. Nink is in this catergory. Edelman has played some good bump and run. Is a good and dangerous punt returner and has shown some glimpses of being able to play WR. He also has done well on kick off coverage. And you have a guy like Mallett who could either be a good QB here or another draft pick later. You can point to draft choices and FA that didnt pan out. SO WHAT. NO ONE hits all the time. And no team seems to combine the consistancy of bringing in talent one way or another. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THE PATS ARE EITHER THE MOST OR ONE OF THE TOP TWO OR THREE TEAMS DEPTH WISE. What happened to the Jets when they lost their center for 2 games? They fell APART. What happened to the Pats when they lost their center for the season???? And then the backup center for two or three games?! The team didnt miss a beat. Depth.... This team has depth. It has players who can be coached. It has players who have the talents which when combined make them a better team than most of their opponents an any given day. Yes Brady is far and away the key player on this team. But it is a really good team. And having Brady has influenced personnel choices. Your frequent statements that TB is the whole team has been proven wrong (in 2009) and is still wrong. The Pats are not the Colts. Only you think so.
    Posted by portfolio1

Great post, but don't expect the narrow-minded Babe to consider awarding any success to BB. It's all Brady. Always has been always will be. It's unbelievable. Why do people always have to pick sides? You're either a BB 'kool-aide' drinker or a Brady 'Ball-washer.' Well, I respect both of them and think they're the best at what they do, maybe the best in the history of the game but I don't need to discriminate and deem who is the reason for our success.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

I cant believe its not butter!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

How are Aldon Smith and JJ Watt relevant. One was the 7th overall pick and the other was the 11th. The Pats could not get those players. I knew Calvin Johnson was a great WR and Suh was a great DT. BB probably knew that too, it really doesn't matter. Anybody can identify consensus top picks, that's why they're consensus top picks. I swear it seems like some people would rather see the Pats have a bad season just so they can get the picks to have a great draft than see the team have a great season. And if you're one of the people who spends more time talking about how bad the Pats draft than how great they are playing then that is who you are.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Truth is, he didnt draft a pass rusher but he got a guy in free agency who fit the bill with A.C.

So is their really a point to this thread?  The fact is this team like every other DOES need a pass rusher and they DID adress it with Anderson and Carter.

If those 2 arent this here this year, how much worse would the secondary look then?

Fact is we needed backs...so I dont mind that, just need to use them more.

I have no problem with this most recent draft.  Solder is putting in work! 

Dissapointing that Vareen couldnt get on the field much but I like him going forward with an offseason.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : True, I agree we needed RB's, so not upset at Vereen and Ridley but, Ras was injury prone in college and we've seen the effect of affective pass rushing. An affective pass rush can reduce the number of passing yards allowed just as much as a CB can. The only difference in this past draft was BB again passed on drafting a pass rusher and took an oft injured CB instead, that's plain and simple. The result has been the worst D (in terms of passing yards allowed) in franchise history. I don't know how you can claim victory over the pick when the end result actually hurt the team more. Thankfully this team has shown remarkable resilience and is starting to get it's stride but not because of Ras. It's because we've faced second rate QB's, shifting to a cover 2 with McCourty/Moore playing FS, and the front 7 starting to collapse the pocket providing pressure consistently. There is no way to tell if drafting a pass rusher would have affected it but have a consistent pass rush always helps the secondary more then an oft injured player on the bench
    Posted by PatsEng

Its not about the impact(or lack thereof) the player had on this season, its about the intentions going in. BB obviously felt secondary was more of an issue then a pass rush, despite what the media or most fans thought( for the record I of course wanted a pass rusher as well) and I'm not of the camp that BB can do no wrong there for he must be right.

i am saying that looking back on our secondary depth with Bodden injured, and the coming release of Sanders and Merri he was correct in going for a CB/safety. I also think BB is once again going with the trend of the league. The rules have allowed QB development to be at an all time high.

For example how often does sending "extra" rushers work against Brady/PM/Brees and even Rodgers? Answer is not too often at all, with the focus on the chuck rule QB's can kill a blitz with the quick strike offense. I think BB realized that his best defense would be a high scoring offense which puts pressure on other teams QB's to throw into coverage.

This is why we almost never send extra rushers and in turn send out more bodies in the secondary. It has always been BB's philosophy that you can never have enough CB's, not pass rushers.

Quite honestly BB has never drafted highly toted pass rushers. VW,Seymour and Warren were his highest drafted D-linemen and they are not pass rushers. They are versatile BIG D-linemen, which allows average pass rushers like Vrabel(Yes he was average before those 3 came along) TBC and the rest tp get to the QB. Willie Mac was not drafted by BB. Nothing has changed much in how he views the draft imo accept his recent shift in focus from defense to offense, which once again is using the trends of the league to his advantage.

I will give you that Ras I had an injury history, but so did Rob Gronkowski, I'm glad we didn't skip on him. Notice how any of the failed 2nd rd picks have not hurt us much financially? Now take a look at how cripple franchises are with failed top 10 picks. i don't see much wrong with how BB drafts I really don't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : Its not about the impact(or lack thereof) the player had on this season, its about the intentions going in. BB obviously felt secondary was more of an issue then a pass rush, despite what the media or most fans thought( for the record I of course wanted a pass rusher as well) and I'm not of the camp that BB can do no wrong there for he must be right.  i am saying that looking back on our secondary depth with Bodden injured, and the coming release of Sanders and Merri he was correct in going for a CB/safety. I also think BB is once again going with the trend of the league. The rules have allowed QB development to be at an all time high. For example how often does sending "extra" rushers work against Brady/PM/Brees and even Rodgers? Answer is not too often at all, with the focus on the chuck rule QB's can kill a blitz with the quick strike offense. I think BB realized that his best defense would be a high scoring offense which puts pressure on other teams QB's to throw into coverage. This is why we almost never send extra rushers and in turn send out more bodies in the secondary. It has always been BB's philosophy that you can never have enough CB's, not pass rushers. Quite honestly BB has never drafted highly toted pass rushers. VW,Seymour and Warren were his highest drafted D-linemen and they are not pass rushers. They are versatile BIG D-linemen, which allows average pass rushers like Vrabel(Yes he was average before those 3 came along) TBC and the rest tp get to the QB. Willie Mac was not drafted by BB. Nothing has changed much in how he views the draft imo accept his recent shift in focus from defense to offense, which once again is using the trends of the league to his advantage. I will give you that Ras I had an injury history, but so did Rob Gronkowski, I'm glad we didn't skip on him. Notice how any of the failed 2nd rd picks have not hurt us much financially? Now take a look at how cripple franchises are with failed top 10 picks. i don't see much wrong with how BB drafts I really don't.
    Posted by TrueChamp

True, you actually pointed out a great reason to get a good pass rusher in your attempt to give a reason not to get one.

Teams like Pitt, Bal, and NYG who can affect the Brady's, Rodger's, and Brees's of the world all have 1 thing in common. They all can get pressure with a 4-5 man rush. They don't need extra rushers because their pass rushers are so solid to begin with they can generate pressure with less. Only rushing 4 lets you drop 7 back (something the Pats use to do with regularity) and hides weaker DB's by essentially cloggingg the field with zones.

The other side is also true that when you don't have pass rushers you have to send more people to generate a pass rush so you are hurting your coverage.

Obviously BB thought the pass rush was an issue because he went out and got Haynesworth, Carter, and Anderson on band-aid contracts to address the issue. As for the reason to get Ras it's the same reason to get a pass rusher. I doubt BB went into the pre-season thinking he was going to release Sanders or Meri. I just think BB didn't see a pass rusher that had the flexibility he wanted (Reed and Sheard being more either 34 or 43 players and pure pass rushers) or not in his idealize rusher mold and he decided to go with a player that had top 20 talent and an injury history. He took the value end of the pick and it bit him this year. If Ras comes back health and performs up to his capabilities then it will pay off but if as his history suggests he is oft injured then BB made a bad pick plain and simple. The whole point is since we traded Seymour he's made multiple picks to address the secondary and it's only gotten worse every year, yet he hasn't spent high picks to address the need of a consistent pass rush, opting for band-aids in the FA market. While in that same time period we've seen pass rushers taken around the same picks as his secondary picks have success on other teams.

It's all what if's but you can't honestly tell me BB philosophy on the secondary or pass rush fixes have panned out until Anderson and Carter, which both were band-aid contracts which Anderson might cost a lot to retain compared to a draft pick in the off-season

As with Gronk, we honestly got lucky with Gronk and it payed off huge. It's like tossing all your chips on 7. More times then not the injured player won't work out but every so often you get a player with top end talent later then he should because of the injure concern. However, if you keep spending high picks hoping to find another Gronk that fell due to injure you are going to waste a lot of picks before you find another one

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : True, you actually pointed out a great reason to get a good pass rusher in your attempt to give a reason not to get one. Teams like Pitt, Bal, and NYG who can affect the Brady's, Rodger's, and Brees's of the world all have 1 thing in common. They all can get pressure with a 4-5 man rush. They don't need extra rushers because their pass rushers are so solid to begin with they can generate pressure with less. Only rushing 4 lets you drop 7 back (something the Pats use to do with regularity) and hides weaker DB's by essentially cloggingg the field with zones. The other side is also true that when you don't have pass rushers you have to send more people to generate a pass rush so you are hurting your coverage. Obviously BB thought the pass rush was an issue because he went out and got Haynesworth, Carter, and Anderson on band-aid contracts to address the issue. As for the reason to get Ras it's the same reason to get a pass rusher. I doubt BB went into the pre-season thinking he was going to release Sanders or Meri. I just think BB didn't see a pass rusher that had the flexibility he wanted (Reed and Sheard being more either 34 or 43 players and pure pass rushers) or not in his idealize rusher mold and he decided to go with a player that had top 20 talent and an injury history. He took the value end of the pick and it bit him this year. If Ras comes back health and performs up to his capabilities then it will pay off but if as his history suggests he is oft injured then BB made a bad pick plain and simple. The whole point is since we traded Seymour he's made multiple picks to address the secondary and it's only gotten worse every year, yet he hasn't spent high picks to address the need of a consistent pass rush, opting for band-aids in the FA market. While in that same time period we've seen pass rushers taken around the same picks as his secondary picks have success on other teams. It's all what if's but you can't honestly tell me BB philosophy on the secondary or pass rush fixes have panned out until Anderson and Carter, which both were band-aid contracts which Anderson might cost a lot to retain compared to a draft pick in the off-season As with Gronk, we honestly got lucky with Gronk and it payed off huge. It's like tossing all your chips on 7. More times then not the injured player won't work out but every so often you get a player with top end talent later then he should because of the injure concern. However, if you keep spending high picks hoping to find another Gronk that fell due to injure you are going to waste a lot of picks before you find another one
    Posted by PatsEng

Well said. I think we all operate with blind spots: obvious things we can't see till years later or others can see but we still can't acknowledge them. BB has his blind spots as well. Overall, he is an amazing coach and developer of talent but the way he has handled the pass rusher issue has kept the team back in previous years. 

This year we are fortunate NO and GB have been eliminated from the playoffs and NYG are the only team with a legitimate QB threat. And our success against BALT and the Giants will depend on our offensive lines ability to keep Brady clean.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Great posts and points by both True and Eng!

True is spot on about B.B.'s philosophy on defense and how he has tried to outscore opponents in the new nfl, but I also agree that the secondarys job would be easier with an elite rusher.

Look at what A.C. did for us at age 32.

Imagine a young stud like Aldon Smith and what he would do..

At this point with the amount of picks that havent panned out, I see no reason not to spend atleast ONE high pick on a one dimensional pass rusher who B.b. can teach the other parts of the game to.

Look at where we drafted Mayo...He is a solid player but in other years you could get a Mayo type in the 2nd round. Its all about strenght of the draft. Look at Curtis Lofton who is a comparable player and maybe better vs the run but went in the 2nd.

When B.B. feels he needs something he will reach for it.

So going into next year I say DO it.  I heard A.C. is no lock to return and could retire as he is at peace with himself and not a Ray Lewis type that needs the game to complete him.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Here's a fact: We all wer're discussing 3-4 OLBs or DE's for the "pass rush" conundrum. We didn't know BB was switching to a 4-3 base. It may not have been a full switch, but still.  So, the JJ Watts or Sheards or Reeds, etc, weren't a need. It's true.  The question is, when did he make this decision, before or after the draft? I think he made this decision before the draft and knew teams would be cutting bait with aging players more so than usual.  NE went after Matt Roth who played 3-4 OLB and could playe 4-3 DE.   When he chose Jax, BB went after Carter and then he wisely chose a healthy Anderson over Tommy Harris, likely because he saw a chance Anderson MIGHT be able to also play some 3-4 OLB (this hasn't gone too well so far). All you have to do is look at this board on draft night or draft weekend.  It's littered with children lashing out and using a ton of extra exclamation points. It's funny to watch, actually.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

This is where I wonder if there is a line I'm not seeing in this thread between the draft guys on the board (MB, Lifer, brd, 7393, Faucet, myself) and the irrationals who make post after post with exclamation marks and no knowledge to back up their assertions for one player or another.

I with you that after draft day all the whining posts are annoying. If you don't like the pick (like I have in the past) you take it out on a single thread, let your frustration out that BB didn't get what you wanted then move on the next day/week (depending on who he takes instead). It's those that make 15 posts about it that give the rest of the draft guys a bad name.

Honestly you could make arguments for any pick and BB is more right then wrong compared to us but on the same note he's not always right and sometimes BB the GM hurts BB the coach by his draft choices or FA signings. This year he might have broken even thanks to Waters, Anderson, and Carter but Haynesworth, Ocho, and missing out on Roth and Goldson did hurt. I just can't stand when people take a completely black and white view on it by saying we are going to suck because we didn't take a pass rusher or that we are in the AFCC so we didn't need a pass rusher. IMO both statements are false as taking a pass rusher could have helped this year even when BB did find a way to get a pass rush without drafting one. Now the question to ask is if this pass rush fix will last past this season or if Anderson played his way out of NE and BB's fix was temporary verses something more long term via the draft

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

This thread's got blind loyalists running wild.  It reminds me of Hulkamania in the 1980's..lol.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The biggest comical aspect of the draft threads is that some guys read Street and Smith and the Sporting News and see a guy play once or a few times on TV and think they can project him as a pro.  Even the experts (Kiper, McShay, etc.) are all wrong the majority of the time.  And along comes Jimmy the office clerk telling us all why Jabaal Sheard was the right pick for the Pats.  Oh really?     

Face it gents, some of you like a guy's tinted face shield, his big biceps, his skull tattoo and his sack dances and think, hell, that guy would look good in Foxboro.  Meanwhile, BB and his pro personnel guys are contacting elementary school teachers and pee wee coaches to get a workup on all of these prospects.  Then they watch every game film they can get, and watch it and re-watch it trying to get a feel for the guy.  And then there's the combine, pro days, personal interviews with BB and the coaching staff and other stuff. 

Let's not pretend to understand all of what goes on in stacking a draft board, and let's not pretend we have any idea what skill set BB needs for the many defensive schemes he is devising.  If you want to say, hey, they could have used a pass rusher, great.  I'd agree.  But did anyone know there was a scheme shift coming?  No.  

Draft threads are fun, but anyone who thinks they are an expert is kidding themselves.  Even the Kipers and McShays, who spend 90 hours a week looking at this stuff, look like jokers when they comment of hundreds of guys at the draft.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Here's a fact: We all wer're discussing 3-4 OLBs or DE's for the "pass rush" conundrum. We didn't know BB was switching to a 4-3 base. It may not have been a full switch, but still.  So, the JJ Watts or Sheards or Reeds, etc, weren't a need. It's true.  The question is, when did he make this decision, before or after the draft? I think he made this decision before the draft and knew teams would be cutting bait with aging players more so than usual.  NE went after Matt Roth who played 3-4 OLB and could playe 4-3 DE.   When he chose Jax, BB went after Carter and then he wisely chose a healthy Anderson over Tommy Harris, likely because he saw a chance Anderson MIGHT be able to also play some 3-4 OLB (this hasn't gone too well so far). All you have to do is look at this board on draft night or draft weekend.  It's littered with children lashing out and using a ton of extra exclamation points. It's funny to watch, actually.

You're right, everyone who critisizes BB can be put in "children lashing out" category. Meanwhile you are the only one who has anything smart to say...... ofcourse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : People who take a black and white view are children, immature adults or morons. Plus, your pass rush comes in different ways, not just on the edge. Clay Matthews just blasts around the edge on every play, but a good offense can exploit that.  Not bashing Matthews, just saying, it's not all about an edge rush. I think you keep Andersona and Carter and supplement that role with a draft pick. See if Mario Williams wants to come in here for a below market price, too so we can run 3-4 at will, too.

I agree I hope they keep Anderson and Carter but Anderson we got for pennies on the dollar trying to rebuild his career. He might want a large contract for his performance this year and BB might not want to give it to him.

As for multiple forms of pass rush, I agree too. Actually one hot topic in the draft thread right now is focused on DT's to generate an interior rush to help collapse the pocket and force the QB into the outside rush. Having straight edge rushers does nothing if the QB can just step up into the pocket. Hence GB's turn of events. Raji had an off year and opposing QB's could step up into the pocket letting Matthews get redirected behind them. Something we didn't see in the playoffs last year.

Though I would love Super Mario I think he's going to cost a bundle. That's the trade off is you take a risk drafting a player if they don't turn out but you save on cost verses getting a proven player at the expense of weakening another position because of cost.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : True, you actually pointed out a great reason to get a good pass rusher in your attempt to give a reason not to get one. Teams like Pitt, Bal, and NYG who can affect the Brady's, Rodger's, and Brees's of the world all have 1 thing in common. They all can get pressure with a 4-5 man rush. They don't need extra rushers because their pass rushers are so solid to begin with they can generate pressure with less. Only rushing 4 lets you drop 7 back (something the Pats use to do with regularity) and hides weaker DB's by essentially cloggingg the field with zones. The other side is also true that when you don't have pass rushers you have to send more people to generate a pass rush so you are hurting your coverage. Obviously BB thought the pass rush was an issue because he went out and got Haynesworth, Carter, and Anderson on band-aid contracts to address the issue. As for the reason to get Ras it's the same reason to get a pass rusher. I doubt BB went into the pre-season thinking he was going to release Sanders or Meri. I just think BB didn't see a pass rusher that had the flexibility he wanted (Reed and Sheard being more either 34 or 43 players and pure pass rushers) or not in his idealize rusher mold and he decided to go with a player that had top 20 talent and an injury history. He took the value end of the pick and it bit him this year. If Ras comes back health and performs up to his capabilities then it will pay off but if as his history suggests he is oft injured then BB made a bad pick plain and simple. The whole point is since we traded Seymour he's made multiple picks to address the secondary and it's only gotten worse every year, yet he hasn't spent high picks to address the need of a consistent pass rush, opting for band-aids in the FA market. While in that same time period we've seen pass rushers taken around the same picks as his secondary picks have success on other teams. It's all what if's but you can't honestly tell me BB philosophy on the secondary or pass rush fixes have panned out until Anderson and Carter, which both were band-aid contracts which Anderson might cost a lot to retain compared to a draft pick in the off-season As with Gronk, we honestly got lucky with Gronk and it payed off huge. It's like tossing all your chips on 7. More times then not the injured player won't work out but every so often you get a player with top end talent later then he should because of the injure concern. However, if you keep spending high picks hoping to find another Gronk that fell due to injure you are going to waste a lot of picks before you find another one
    Posted by PatsEng

To simplify my point I would say this....Our defense has been top 10 in ppg allowed every year till this year. We were 15th in ppg allowed this year but also had 40 sacks. I don't see where we need to draft a multi million dollar pass rusher?

The secondary let up tons of yardage. Yes I know they work hand in hand(pass rush and secondary) but I think most would agree that playing 2 different wr's as Cb's means your secondary talent is depleted.

So again unless we were aiming for fantastic pass rushers like Von Miller or top 10 guys I don't see how anybody can think it was a bad idea to draft secondary help.

I always got the feeling that BB prefers veteran OLB/DE's as his system is complex where in the secondary you need youth(athleticism,speed etc.)

Would I want a Mario Williams? I'm not so sure. Why invest such a significant portion of your assets in only 1 aspect of the business? I agree with BB's idea of building a team, it seems to be quantity over quality in this case. BB would rather have a bunch of "football" players then 2 or 3 highly talented athletes.

This philosophy seems to be working as his defense is consistently top 10 in ppg allowed year after year.

Sections
Shortcuts