I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!

In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!!:
    [QUOTE]Aldon Smith! Thats who I wanted and for good reason. Best rookie pass rusher since Jevon Kearse and may be the reason the G-Men lose to San Fran and give us a better chance of winning the SB. I went back and watched the Giants game over and guess what?! Our defense played lights out!  It was 0-0 at the half!!  Eli has threw up 30 burgers on just about everyone else and conversely, the G-Men also shut us out in the 1st half and made Brady look as bad as Ive seen in a while, so lets hope the Niners can pull it out. IF we get past the Angry Birds, (i think we will) I would rather face A.Smith and let Brady spread out that Niners defense built to stop the run rather than face those crazy lineman on the Giants who can pressure Brady with 4. So in short, I guess we should be lucky that San Fran got Aldon Smith, it may be the difference between us winning and losing a SB! confused yet...lol
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

loved him too. he was in my top 2 coveted players in the end last year. but he was taken 7th. and as you say, if we can beat balt, he may be part of the reason we have a better chance to win the sb. i said sf may be the only team capable of beating new orleans in the playoffs. thank goodness for sf success this year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : This is where I wonder if there is a line I'm not seeing in this thread between the draft guys on the board (MB, Lifer, brd, 7393, Faucet, myself) and the irrationals who make post after post with exclamation marks and no knowledge to back up their assertions for one player or another. I with you that after draft day all the whining posts are annoying. If you don't like the pick (like I have in the past) you take it out on a single thread, let your frustration out that BB didn't get what you wanted then move on the next day/week (depending on who he takes instead). It's those that make 15 posts about it that give the rest of the draft guys a bad name. Honestly you could make arguments for any pick and BB is more right then wrong compared to us but on the same note he's not always right and sometimes BB the GM hurts BB the coach by his draft choices or FA signings. This year he might have broken even thanks to Waters, Anderson, and Carter but Haynesworth, Ocho, and missing out on Roth and Goldson did hurt. I just can't stand when people take a completely black and white view on it by saying we are going to suck because we didn't take a pass rusher or that we are in the AFCC so we didn't need a pass rusher. IMO both statements are false as taking a pass rusher could have helped this year even when BB did find a way to get a pass rush without drafting one. Now the question to ask is if this pass rush fix will last past this season or if Anderson played his way out of NE and BB's fix was temporary verses something more long term via the draft
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

eng, such sanity and reason (without attacking fellow fans). i think this might blow up the whole website as it is such an unusual sight ....  :)

peace all

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]This thread's got blind loyalists running wild.  It reminds me of Hulkamania in the 1980's..lol.
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

"It reminds me of Hulkamania in the 1980's..lol."

thanks for the good laugh.

we all need that once in a while and more on the board.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : There you go again. Brady is the only reason BB wins games. Never mind that they went a whole season without him (less a few minutes) and went 11-5. Not 2-14 like the Colts. Not 5-11. Not 8-8. 11-5. Guess they got lucky game after game. Starting a QB who not only had never started in the pros but wasn't even the starter in college! Lets put your rediculous theory to rest. Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

BB is 52-62 with any quarterback not named "Brady." That includes Cassel's 11-5 year against one of the easiest schedules EVER.

If you don't think Brady is a SUBSTANTIAL piece of BB's success, you're really out of touch with reality. Better enjoy these last few years of Brady.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Ras I was a good pick - too bad he got hurt. Ridley is through as a Patriot, BB hates fumbling RB's Vereen is injury prone and will be cut. Two bad picks we could have done a lot better with
    Posted by jader[/QUOTE]

Kevin Faulk was a big fumbler early in his career too . . . yet his career with the Bill Belichick coached Pats seems to go on and on . . . 

Belichick isn't a simpleton . . . he's hard to predict because he deals in complexity and weighs multiple variables before making decisions.  Fans here don't have nearly as much knowledge or data as BB does and jump to easy conclusions-"We've got to draft a top pass rusher."  We'll BB knows the pass rush needs to be improved, but he's got 100 other variables to consider at the same time too and so he may not do the obvious, because (as Tcal said) he's thinking many moves ahead -- and also thinking about many different moves that have to happen all at once.  

It's easy to second guess what he does . . .  but the results speak for themselves. When it comes to sustained superior results over the past 12 years since BB came to the Pats, there is no more successful coach and GM in football. Period. End of story. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can't believe we didn't draft a pass rusher!! : BB is 52-62 with any quarterback not named "Brady." That includes Cassel's 11-5 year against one of the easiest schedules EVER. If you don't think Brady is a SUBSTANTIAL piece of BB's success, you're really out of touch with reality. Better enjoy these last few years of Brady.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

That's just about the most meaningless stat I've ever read, and proof that stats DO, in fact, lie.

Brady is 0-0 with any coach NOT named Belichick! No rings. no MVP. No records. Nothing. Doesn't exist in the annals of NFL history.

Just admit that you don't like Belichick, nothing will ever make you accept him, and any winning is done in spite of him. At least then you're be genuine and up-front about it.

Brady would be a SUBSTANTIAL part of ANYone's success! Does having Montana mitigate Walsh being a great coach? Lombardi would have really been nothing without Bart Starr. Dungy is living in obscurity without Manning. Jimmy J had Aikman...and Irvin, and Emmitt...yeah, he's not that good either.

I guess the ONLY coach who deserves credit is Chucky, because he did it without a QB in TB, or Billick, the "QB Guru" who won with Dilfer, only those two, with their below-mediocre QBs have proven they are actually good coaches. Oddly, both work on a network, and don't coach anymore. Hm.

In fact, I see now that coaching is totally overrated, and should be overlooked in lieu of finding star players. Star players = no need for coaching, that's NYJ hope, right? Too bad they have such a BAD QB, or you'd be looking like a genius!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]A big part of the puzzle regarding drafting is coaches. It's not just the personnel department or head coach. We have done quite well with O-line picks. See Dante. We have a HOF QB. See Dick. (RIP) Guys like Sey, Vrabel and HotRod were added to an excellent core D from previous regimes to form a damned good D. Romeo was probably a big influence in those choices. The endless raiding of staff has taken a toll on draft day.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Regarding coaching I am wondering how much the poor play of CBs this year - especially in turning to see the ball before the receiver catches it - is due to poor coaching. I don't know the answer but I wonder if we need a new coach for the secondary.

I still think you are hugely tunnel visioned regarding the roster. BB has maintained a superior overall roster when compared to the league year in and year out. THis in spite of consistantly low draft positions and low positions on the waiver wire. Part of this tunnel vision is not looking at the roster year to year in total but trying to measure how well any and each draft choice went. And how one measures players as opposed to team.