I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...

There's a reason why one of the tie breakers is strength of schedule. It's right under point spreads in head to head meetings

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...

In Response to I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...:
    [QUOTE]If I wake up on Tuesday and check various power rankings (ESPN, FoxSports) and the Patriots are lower than the Jets, I will be shocked. The Patriots have beaten three of the top assumed teams in the league, Steelers, Ravens and Colts, while the Jets have barely escaped defeat from the Browns, Lions, and Texans. But of course there is the idea that "oh, well since the Jets beat the Patriots in week two, they MUST be better than the Patriots". That is wrong because that team in week two was much different from the team that the Patriots have now been winning games with. To me, by beating the Colts, there is no doubt in my mind that the Patriots are one of the top two teams, if not the top team in the NFL, right now.
    Posted by HipHopHooray[/QUOTE]

How about the straight forward one. The Jet's beat the Pats already this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Say what you want, but O'Brien and Brady didn't finish in the 4th quarter.  The run game was working perfectly and O'Brien went to the spread and then started running sweeps?

Why?

NE has to play 4 full quarters.  They are still not great at this aspect yet. Yet.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots... : Utterly ridiculous. I am pretty sure Manning and Indy is tougher competition than Schaub and Houston. When NE eeks out a win against SD on the road, it's finding a way to win. Or, when they slap Pitt in the mouth, it's not good enough, according to some, because they only won by 13 points, yet when you watched that game, you saw a shallacking. Now, they pick Manning 3 times for the hat trick, and while not pretty in the 4th qtr on both sides (let's not forget O'Brien fell asleep in the 4th here with not many 1st downs), and it's "finding a way to lose". Sorry. Not buying it. There are two sets of barometers: 1. NE 2. All 31 other NFL teams NE has played one poor game all year and it was in Cleveland. NY has looked flat out mediocre for a month against far less competition. The W is all that matters, but the media trying to prop up the Jets is hilarious to me. Sanchez went from goat to hero in a minute simply because Gary Kubiak is a bad coach.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

How sure are you? I mean, I seem to remember Schaub and the Texans beating Manning and the Mighty Colts (who are now second in the division behind equally impressive Jacksonville) earlier this year...oh, here comes the old "The Colts were worse/Texans were better at that time..." excuse. You really put the Pats above everyone else in the league? You might want to take a look around and see what teams like ATL/GB/NO are doing lately.

And Houston, with Schaub, Johnson, league leading Arian Foster, etc. are far from a pushover. They're having a down year...I can remember some of those happening in Foxboro recently, but the core of that team is very good.

I agree that nationally, the Pats get little or no credit ever, but that's not the point or the question at hand.

Again, I repeat, I'm responding to the question of how can the Jets possibly be called a better team. There are reasons, that is all. I, personally, feel the Pats are the better team, and a top 5 in the league, possibly top 3, and I could make a case for the top team. But, I am not so blind that I only see roses, rainbows and champage fountains. The Jets have a lot of good points and the Pats have plenty of bad. That's not to say the Jets aren't flawed or the Pats aren't a good team...but there is definitely a case to be made either way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I don't think the YETS are better than the PATS. and I for one will not say that the PATS are better than the YETS till we beat them in the game at Foxboro on 12/6.  As long as both teams continue to win, that's what it comes down to. 

Many PATS fans do not want to give the YETS their due or Mark Sanchez for that matter.  Its not the YETS defense that's winning those games, its Sanchez.  They are winning games that in the past they would have found a way to lose.   That's different.  However, having to win those games in OT or at then last second indicates that there are problems and I think it does not bode well for them in December, a month of pain in the past for the YETS.  Mark Sanchez is gutting it out and getting it done, say what you will.  I am looking forward to the game on 12/6.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...:
    [QUOTE]If I wake up on Tuesday and check various power rankings (ESPN, FoxSports) and the Patriots are lower than the Jets, I will be shocked. The Patriots have beaten three of the top assumed teams in the league, Steelers, Ravens and Colts, while the Jets have barely escaped defeat from the Browns, Lions, and Texans. But of course there is the idea that "oh, well since the Jets beat the Patriots in week two, they MUST be better than the Patriots". That is wrong because that team in week two was much different from the team that the Patriots have now been winning games with. To me, by beating the Colts, there is no doubt in my mind that the Patriots are one of the top two teams, if not the top team in the NFL, right now.
    Posted by HipHopHooray[/QUOTE]

Hoppity,

HAve you been paying attention to what's been happening at the Razor? Seems to me in week 32, the Pats shed some loight on how things were going to go in '10, especially in teh 2nd half..... it's called "hanging on". if you will take a step back from your Brady 'bankie", you'll see that the Pats, while beating these teams, have had to hang on till the bloody end to win, while the JESTS! are barely able to win against inferior opponents. Even though they lost to the JESTS! in Week #2, they haven't "closed the deal" against better opponents until late in the game(s). They get the JESTS! in 2 weeks at home, and if they win, hopefully you will stop whining about "who's the best team". You've drinken the national media's Kool Aid, straight up. There's 6 more games to go! Unlike college and the BCS, "rankings" mean absolutely nothing. It's simple: be the #1 or #2 seed (based on actual record, NOT opinions, polls, or computer rankings), and you get a 1st round "bye". Win a division, and you get to host at least 1 playoff game.  Win 'em all, and guess what? YOU'RE THE BEST TEAM IN FOOTBALL!  Yes, it's that simple.

All this "What's the bst flavor: blue or orange" is for schoolyards and sewing bees.

GET OVER IT!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...:
    [QUOTE]It's different because I was pointing out how the Jets were able to come back and rally for the win. Something the Pats USED to be known for. The only thing the Pats have been known for the past few seasons, with regards to the ends of games, is how to give up leads, not close a gap. And, yes, the Pats created teh Sanders INT, I'm not disputing that, but the point is, where was the stop when they were up 17? How about getting one up 10? How about stopping them BEFORE they run right down to the 30? That's not creating a win, that's managing to hold on, desperately, and escaping with a win. Manning had to screw up for the Pats to avoid OT, the Jets had to create their own win. Are you really going to ignore the late game struggles of this team? The OP said they couldn't understand ANY argument for seeding the Jets higher, and along with, oh, the little thing about the Jets beating the Pats head to head, there is the issue of the 4th quarter, holding leads or erasing deficits, neither of which the Pats have excelled at lately, and the Jets have.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but both teams actually found ways to win.  Last year we lost games in the second half and very consistently.  This year, though it gets close in the second half, the only game we lost that way was to the YETS.  The other loss in Cleveland had nothing to do with a second half let down.  A win is a win is a win.  In the past, prior to the 2007 season, that PATS won many games that were close, rather than blow outs.  We are back to that kind of football and the good news is that we will get better, not only this season but in years to come, because the team is young and loaded with talent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

here is my analysis..

we are both 8-2
    we beat the team they lost to (Ravens)
    they beat the team we lost to (Browns)

so far we are even..

then there is the pesky little thing of them beating us in week 2. You could argue we are better now than we were in week 2..but you could just as well argue they are better now than they were in week 2...

So..unless we beat them, they are the better team..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots... : How sure are you? I mean, I seem to remember Schaub and the Texans beating Manning and the Mighty Colts (who are now second in the division behind equally impressive Jacksonville) earlier this year...oh, here comes the old "The Colts were worse/Texans were better at that time..." excuse. You really put the Pats above everyone else in the league? You might want to take a look around and see what teams like ATL/GB/NO are doing lately. And Houston, with Schaub, Johnson, league leading Arian Foster, etc. are far from a pushover. They're having a down year...I can remember some of those happening in Foxboro recently, but the core of that team is very good. I agree that nationally, the Pats get little or no credit ever, but that's not the point or the question at hand. Again, I repeat, I'm responding to the question of how can the Jets possibly be called a better team. There are reasons, that is all. I, personally, feel the Pats are the better team, and a top 5 in the league, possibly top 3, and I could make a case for the top team. But, I am not so blind that I only see roses, rainbows and champage fountains. The Jets have a lot of good points and the Pats have plenty of bad. That's not to say the Jets aren't flawed or the Pats aren't a good team...but there is definitely a case to be made either way.

That's because they ran all over their crappy run D.  That's why Houston beat them.

They controlled the clock that way.

I agree on a case to be made either way, and that is my point. I think if you watch NE go into Pitt and blast them or beat Indy at home, that's more impressive than eeking out a win against a mentally tired Browns team or a Houston team that simply choked yesterday.

That's my point.

You have to watch the Jets. When you see them play, they do really nothing that impresses you.

The key difference to me, is very clear, and I have said this since the summer when idiots like Al Breer picked Miami to win the division:

BB and Tom Brady are, BY FAR AND AWAY, the best coach/QB duo in the NFL.

If I am going into battle, there is not one duo I'd rather have now or maybe EVER in the history of the NFL.

I think some fans here need to step back, take a look around the league and get some appreciation for what you are witnessing.

If BB gets some flaws cleaned up, this team will make a seriously legit run to the SB.

He has just enough to humble them and just enough to know what he's got moving forward.

Dangerous combo for any opponent.

NY has to go into NE, Pitt and then Chicago.   Chicago's D will lambaste Sanchez.

Also, both NE and NY have to deal with a good Buffalo passing team as well.

That should be interesting. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots... : Not luck, but you have to admit, that was horrendous D by Houston there. Worst pass D in the  NFL by a mile. They miss Demeco Ryans a lot.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

BB - you are making me wonder about some of these posts. I will certainly admit that the Jet defense is nowhere near as dominating as last year. The safety play is horrible and they are getting destroyed by tigt-ends. Plus they are not generating enough of a pass rush with the front three and if these two issues are not resolved to at least an average position, they will have serious problems against some teams. However, let's not forget that Texas has, I believe the 5th ranked passing offense in the league or something like that. So it is not like they went up against a cream puff offense. So to call them the worst is an absolutely ridiculous comment - there cornerback play is probably the best right now in the NFL.

You get December 6th to find out if the Pats are the dominant team in the AFC. The Pats D is not what I would call high calibur at this point. Manning and a bunch of pick-up kids scorched them for way too many yards yesterday. Not sure if it was due to the defensive scheme BB played with the lead or just failure to execute on the part of the Pats D.

Either way, Dec. 6 looks to be the making of an excellent game and I am looking forward to it. Hopefully neither teams stumbles on Turkey Day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots... : BB - you are making me wonder about some of these posts. I will certainly admit that the Jet defense is nowhere near as dominating as last year. The safety play is horrible and they are getting destroyed by tigt-ends. Plus they are not generating enough of a pass rush with the front three and if these two issues are not resolved to at least an average position, they will have serious problems against some teams. However, let's not forget that Texas has, I believe the 5th ranked passing offense in the league or something like that. So it is not like they went up against a cream puff offense. So to call them the worst is an absolutely ridiculous comment - there cornerback play is probably the best right now in the NFL. You get December 6th to find out if the Pats are the dominant team in the AFC. The Pats D is not what I would call high calibur at this point. Manning and a bunch of pick-up kids scorched them for way too many yards yesterday. Not sure if it was due to the defensive scheme BB played with the lead or just failure to execute on the part of the Pats D. Either way, Dec. 6 looks to be the making of an excellent game and I am looking forward to it. Hopefully neither teams stumbles on Turkey Day.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

You might have a point if YOU played Indy but you don't.  It seems to me the last time you played them you lost. The fact remains the Jets haven't played a division winner's schedule in years. The last time you did you finished third.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Pats first have to get by the Lions as do the Jets the Bengals....if both of those things happen the game the following week will be for all the marbles in both the afc East & probably home field thruout....the game is/could be the best game of the season for so many reasons....lets just get the wins on Turkey day so we can watch the most hyped game of the season play out at the Razor!!!!!

As far as power rankings go, the jets, or any other team for that matter, can be ranked first for all I care, just as long as the Patriots beat them when it matters most!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

fact is, Patriots beat the steelers in pittsburgh and bounced back and beat the colts. 

The Patriots are the best team in the league. They are surging and comming together at the right time. 

the game vs the jets will be tough and the Patriots will likely win.  but first, we must take down detriot.

as a Patriots fan, I feeeel great!!!!!!!

this is the jets best season since 1985 or something and the Patriots are matching them in a rebuilding year. WE OWN THEM.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

JETS FANS CAN RANT AND RAVE OVER HOW THEIR TEAM HAS MANAGED TO EKE OUT WINS OVER TEAMS WITH LOSING RECORDS BUT THEIR ARGUMENTS,ALL OF THEM,PALE IN COMPARISON TO THE PATRIOTS RECORD OF SUCCESS AGAINST TEAMS REGARDED AS THE IRON OF THE LEAGUE.IF THE PATRIOTS DON'T HAVE A LET DOWN AGAINST THE LIONS AS THEY DID AGAINST THE BROWNS(AND EVERY TEAM FACES SUCH A PROBLEM AT LEAST A TIME OR TWO DURING THE SEASON)AND I'M SURE EVERY N.E. PLAYER WILL BE CONSTANTLY REMINDED OF THE OF THE DEBACLE IN CLEVELAND,WITH PARTICULAR EMPHASIS TO THE YOUNGSTERS ON DEFENSE,THEY ARE SET UP VERY WELL FOR THE FINAL PUSH IN DECEMBER. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think the YETS are better than the PATS. and I for one will not say that the PATS are better than the YETS till we beat them in the game at Foxboro on 12/6.  As long as both teams continue to win, that's what it comes down to.  Many PATS fans do not want to give the YETS their due or Mark Sanchez for that matter.  Its not the YETS defense that's winning those games, its Sanchez.  They are winning games that in the past they would have found a way to lose.   That's different.  However, having to win those games in OT or at then last second indicates that there are problems and I think it does not bode well for them in December, a month of pain in the past for the YETS.  Mark Sanchez is gutting it out and getting it done, say what you will.  I am looking forward to the game on 12/6.
    Posted by Dessalines[/QUOTE]

Hope I dont throw you on the fire but you get it.  Sanchize has gotten it done.  The week we did not beat teh Pack there were 9 blatant drops by his receivers.  He has been playing near perfect and it should quiet the people that say that we gave up 4 players to move up and get him.  That was a great trade!!!  We gave up 3 backups for him...  As for the 6th, it will be a great test for us to go into the reigning AFC EAST champs house and take a win back with us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots... : You might have a point if YOU played Indy but you don't.  It seems to me the last time you played them you lost. The fact remains the Jets haven't played a division winner's schedule in years. The last time you did you finished third.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

That is all fine and well except it has nothing to do with my comment and conversation with BB.

And regarding strength of schedule - The Texans went into this season with much higher expectations and started off that way. This also holds true for the Bronco's, but you knew they would fail.

None of my comments are in any attempt to pump up what I believe to be a good football team in the Jets. This teams has some flaws that need to be worked out. However, I do not see any other team that is not without question marks as well. You seem to be fighting an argument that I am not making. I believed going into the season that NE was and should be the division favorite and many analysts kind of agreed with that. Some thought it would be a three team race and yes, some jumped on the Jet bandwagon.

I also tend to wait until the final game has been played (SB) before I proclaim any one team to be the best. NE, IMO has been the most dominant team in the NFL this past decade and until some team shows me different, then I will continue to believe this. But football is still a yearly sport and every year there is a possibility that another team will win the championship. I hope it is the Jets, but I will not guarantee this on November 22nd. And as of today, there is not one team in the NFL that you can say is heads and shoulders above every other team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats1977. Show pats1977's posts

I think yets' fans can say their team is better than our Pats bc of the week 2 game. Are we a much better/complete team now than back in week 2? Absolutely!
    But, the fact still remains. Their record against us thus far this year is 1 to 0. 

Does anyone know why we haven't switched to the teams with the best records make the playoffs rather that non-sense division winners gets in over a team with a better record? We missed the playoffs in 08 bc of this and we might be a wild card team with 13 wins and have to travel to a team with a 10 win or less. I heard that came up back in 08 after we missed the playoffs that year, but I haven't heard anything on that ever since.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

I have no problem admitting the Jets are better than NE right now. They beat NE 28-14 and currently have the upper hand.

I say, let the Pats prove otherwise in 2 weeks. Until then, let all praise and acclaim fall upon the Jets.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

[QUOTE]It's different because I was pointing out how the Jets were able to come back and rally for the win. Something the Pats USED to be known for. The only thing the Pats have been known for the past few seasons, with regards to the ends of games, is how to give up leads, not close a gap. And, yes, the Pats created teh Sanders INT, I'm not disputing that, but the point is, where was the stop when they were up 17? How about getting one up 10? How about stopping them BEFORE they run right down to the 30? That's not creating a win, that's managing to hold on, desperately, and escaping with a win. Manning had to screw up for the Pats to avoid OT, the Jets had to create their own win. Are you really going to ignore the late game struggles of this team? The OP said they couldn't understand ANY argument for seeding the Jets higher, and along with, oh, the little thing about the Jets beating the Pats head to head, there is the issue of the 4th quarter, holding leads or erasing deficits, neither of which the Pats have excelled at lately, and the Jets have.

I would rather have a team who gets the lead early and hangs on to the win then a team who has to come from behind every week. Now having said that I was ticked off yesterday at the Offense and the inability to have a clock killing drive in the fourth quater. We would have needed just one to not make this game close.

Go Pats!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Correction, not close

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

Here's what you get for being #1 in power rankings.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I think yets' fans can say their team is better than our Pats bc of the week 2 game. Are we a much better/complete team now than back in week 2? Absolutely! But, the fact still remains. Their record against us thus far this year is 1 to 0.  Does anyone know why we haven't switched to the teams with the best records make the playoffs rather that non-sense division winners gets in over a team with a better record? We missed the playoffs in 08 bc of this and we might be a wild card team with 13 wins and have to travel to a team with a 10 win or less. I heard that came up back in 08 after we missed the playoffs that year, but I haven't heard anything on that ever since.
    Posted by pats1977[/QUOTE]

good point. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the NFL hasn't changed any of the rules for determining seeding and who gets home field advantage.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

[QUOTE]I hate the Jets but they are better than the Pats. Giving up leads like they have been is worrisome.
    Posted by cosmo14[/QUOTE]

Oh, the Jets don't give up leads......  so why did they almost get beat by Lions, Browns and Texans?  Please.  This thinking I don't understand.  They are AT LEAST as flawed as we are, and maybe more.  

Sections
Shortcuts