I Feel Better About the Easley Pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I Feel Better About the Easley Pick

I wasn't too thrilled with the pick last night simply because Easley was one of the few guys that I didn't understand the fascination with.  That being said I hope it works out and am feeling a bit better about it for a few reasons.

1) It fills a huge area of need.  Frankly I wouldn't be upset if Jones and Vellano aren't on the team next year.

2) Easley was considered by some people to be a top 5-10 talent had he not suffered the ACL injury

3) For those of you saying he could have been had in the 3rd round you are crazy.  Tank Carradine tore his ACL (and unlike Easley it was at the end of his season so you knew he was basically a redshirt) and still went in the early 2nd.  No way Easley makes it out of the top 50 picks.  Maybe not out of the top 40. 

4) Coach Belichick has a pretty good track record of drafting defensive lineman in the 1st round.  Wilfork and Seymour are two of the best players in team history.  Jones had a pro bowl caliber year last season and even Ty Warren who was the weakest of the 4 was no slouch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: I Feel Better About the Easley Pick

Word is BB loves this guy.  I remember he loved Cunningham too and took him early I believe, only to have him not pan out as hoped. 

It feels a need yes, but they had so many less risky players available at #29.  Just feel s like a stretch here, yes a top 10 player if he wasn't hurt... guess what, he is hurt coming off his second ACL before playing a down in the nfl.  Can he do the work it will require coming in as a rookie? 

Man, Pats did so much work on D this off season, would have loved a top TE, can't count on Gronk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Kid is good, i support the Pick... BUT GLASS -I DOWLING comes to mind, and sucks !

I love the New England Patriots, but i am not a fanatic. I want the team to win games the right way, playing good football. I demand the best from the players and the organization, because i support them the best way i can.          ISAAC ANDREU

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

If this were a WR or DB BB reached for I'd be concerned........................

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kid is good, i support the Pick... BUT GLASS -I DOWLING comes to mind, and sucks !

[/QUOTE]

Why? They're two different players and Easley had one injury.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why? They're two different players and Easley had one injury.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

He had two. ACL on both knees have been operated on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

First of all this is not a Dowling type pick.  This guy has a lot of talent.  But the knees.   Ouch!  So I can see the comparison.  Surprising pick nonetheless.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I was disappointed last night but like many others, once faced with certainty, you can rationalize anything.

First, Easley is a complete stud and would have ben considered a top 5-10 pick if healthy.  Second, torn ACLs can heal even stronger than before the injury.  The Pats must know the condition and likely full recovery from his injuries.

Now I like the pick... a lot.  The pseudo football "experts" like Bleacher and SB Nation even rank the pick an "A" !!

In retrospect, because of his athleticism and versatility, he can relieve both Chandler and Nink at DE and play in place of Wilfork or Kelly if they go down.  If everyone stays healthy, he can contribute without overburden and after a year of light work, be that dominating top 10 pick for years to come.  BB will pick up another big durable hole blocker before the season starts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This guy loves Easley and actually mocked him to the Pats in the first round.  I will say that it does make his first step seem completely ridiculous.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/5/9/5698226/this-is-why-dominique-easley-is-incredible

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wasn't too thrilled with the pick last night simply because Easley was one of the few guys that I didn't understand the fascination with.  That being said I hope it works out and am feeling a bit better about it for a few reasons.

1) It fills a huge area of need.  Frankly I wouldn't be upset if Jones and Vellano aren't on the team next year.

2) Easley was considered by some people to be a top 5-10 talent had he not suffered the ACL injury

3) For those of you saying he could have been had in the 3rd round you are crazy.  Tank Carradine tore his ACL (and unlike Easley it was at the end of his season so you knew he was basically a redshirt) and still went in the early 2nd.  No way Easley makes it out of the top 50 picks.  Maybe not out of the top 40. 

4) Coach Belichick has a pretty good track record of drafting defensive lineman in the 1st round.  Wilfork and Seymour are two of the best players in team history.  Jones had a pro bowl caliber year last season and even Ty Warren who was the weakest of the 4 was no slouch.

[/QUOTE]

I am understand that you are trying to find reasons to feel good about the pick. Time will tell if it turns out well. Even if it does, it still is a bad pick... just perhaps a bad pick that turns out well. We hope.

Let me address each of your reasons one by one.

1) It fills a huge need. I agree with letting go of Vellano and Jones. That said, the main reason you have a void in the first place is that your two starting DTs got injured. Until you have certainty that any of them can get back to full form, why pick someone with the same injury uncertainties?

2) considered by many as a top 10 pick had he not have the injury? He had the injuries. not one. two. in this business it's hard to conclude that it's not a pattern.

3) Has Tank done anything yet?

4) If he's so good in picking DTs why did you not mention DTs he picked more recently?

I do hope it works out. It still is bad pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

At least it is not picking Tavon Wilson 3 round too early a1 slot before beast DE Kendall Reyes the offseason after you let Dashon Goldson leave his recruitment visit b/c he wanted either 1 extra million than offered for a 1 year deal or 1-2 more years on the contract but at the yearly amount offered. UGH!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Time will tell if it turns out well. Even if it does, it still is a bad pick... just perhaps a bad pick that turns out well.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but to me this represents all that is wrong with how people think about the NFL draft.  If Easley is a good productive player it was a good pick. Period.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, but you are completely missing the point.  If you think Easley was going to be on the board when the Patriots picked next I think you are wrong.  Carradine is my evidence of that.  Nothing more nothing less.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]

4) If he's so good in picking DTs why did you not mention DTs he picked more recently?

[/QUOTE]

I specifically mentioned first round defensive line talent so anyone picked more recently isn't relevant to that point.  But even if I look outside the first round your point has no merit.  Brace is the only guy that we have spent a high pick on in recent history.  That is one guy.  Even if I include him I still like Coach Belichick's track record at acquiring defensive line talent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

There is one thing that is absolutely certain:  Until Easley is on the field and playing for a season or two without re-injuring either of his knees those who consider the pick bad will continue to think the pick is bad. 

I happen to think, strange concept I know, that BB actually knows what he's doing and I seem to remember more than one poster applauding Lombardi's affiliation with the Pats as a 'draft expert.'  I'm sure he was involved in this pick.

Oh, and one other thing is certain:  BB knows more about evaluating talent than anyone posting on this board.  Doesn't mean that opinions shouldn't be expressed; merely means those opinions are those of amateurs well-informed though they may be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, but you are completely missing the point.  If you think Easley was going to be on the board when the Patriots picked next I think you are wrong.  Carradine is my evidence of that.  Nothing more nothing less.

[/QUOTE]

The local news here in Seattle (King5) reported the Seahawks were planning on taking him.  Hard to know if that is accurate, but they reported it anyway.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I specifically mentioned first round defensive line talent so anyone picked more recently isn't relevant to that point.  But even if I look outside the first round your point has no merit.  Brace is the only guy that we have spent a high pick on in recent history.  That is one guy.  Even if I include him I still like Coach Belichick's track record at acquiring defensive line talent.

[/QUOTE]

I have less confidence in BB's ability to evaluate WR's and DB's.  I agree that he doesn't miss often on 1st round picks on the line.  I'm sure he is well aware that they are gambling with his injuries.  To me that means he must think the guy is a beast when healthy.  You don't make that gamble on a so-so player.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I happen to think, strange concept I know, that BB actually knows what he's doing and I seem to remember more than one poster applauding Lombardi's affiliation with the Pats as a 'draft expert.'  I'm sure he was involved in this pick.

Oh, and one other thing is certain:  BB knows more about evaluating talent than anyone posting on this board.  Doesn't mean that opinions shouldn't be expressed; merely means those opinions are those of amateurs well-informed though they may be.

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with the bolded statement.

I'm not wearing any rose-tinted glasses b/c for the record, I didn't like the pick and am still not totally convinced.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

So according to SeattlePat70 if he turns out to be good, it's still a bad pick.  Holy hell.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

So according to SeattlePat70 if he turns out to be good, it's still a bad pick.  Holy hell.

[/QUOTE]

Don't you recognize exquisite logic when you see it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know I'm not going to call this a bad pick, because Easley has a ton of amount of talent a could become a beast on the DL. I don't put this up there with T. Wilson who I thought was just a bad pick. However, I will continue to call this an extremely risky pick as I did with Ras-I for the injury issues. In the end it's just opinions being tossed around and we all need to respect those opinions. If someone wants to call it a bad pick because of the risks can you really argue there aren't risks? And if someone wants to call this a great pick because of talent, can you really argue he doesn't have talent? So lets all just say it's a very risky pick and give it a couple years. If he can't stay healthy it's a bad pick and if he does and shows off that talent then it's a great pick but I think that 95% of us can agree it's not the T. Wilson pick over again which I think only 2 people on this board have defended and their kool-aid ruby lined 20 gallon fish tank glasses make even the biggest head scratcher into the greatest pick ever.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't you recognize exquisite logic when you see it?

[/QUOTE]

Let me reword. It was a bad decision. that could turn out well. Yes, even bad decisions can end up well, or at least not hurting an entity. It happens a lot in business. It happens a lot in life.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Two ACL's is pretty bad, acceptable in the 3rd or lower, but this is a complete wasted pick in the 1st.  Pats are blowing the draft big time this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I also heard that Seattle was going to pick him. He was likely gone by end of round 1.

Love the pick guys. You will be screaming his name when Manning is pulling grass from his chinstrap as the Pats take the field and a win.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Vince Wilfork ‏@wilfork75 13h

I'm lovin this pick !!

At least the kid gets VW's seal of approval.