I guess Mthurl, TFB and myself arent the only ones wondering

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I guess Mthurl, TFB and myself arent the only ones wondering

If you were giving a grade on the Patriots' free-agent activity to this point, what would it be?

The question came to mind after reading a team-by-team breakdown by Nate Davis of USA Today, in which the Patriots were viewed as one of the league's big losers based on the present snapshot. Davis gives the Patriots a D-plus.

"The jury is out on what amounts to a free agent swap of Welker for younger but less durable Danny Amendola, and no one will be watching more closely than QB Tom Brady with his new cap-friendly deal. CB Aqib Talib is back, and maybe S Adrian Wilson is the next coming of Rodney Harrison. And there appear to be several more irons currently in the fire, so this grade may soon require revision. But the receiving corps looks weaker without Welker and Brandon Lloyd, and you have to wonder what the Patriots see in Donald Jones that the Bills didn't. And whither right tackle Sebastian Vollmer?"

In Davis' view, only the Redskins and Bengals are graded lower at this point.

This is a theme that also surfaced in our weekly ESPNBoston chat on Thursday, with some chatters disappointed in the Patriots' moves at this point. Clearly, Wes Welker's defection is a big part of the mindset.

A few counterpoints were brought up in the chat: "It's an incomplete picture. ... If we look at some of the most successful teams in the NFL over the years, this is a time they use to complement their core, not create it ... The re-signing of Talib was critical ... Scott Pioli notes that they don't give out a trophy for spending the most money, or spending it the fastest; it's about spending smartly."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: I guess Mthurl, TFB and myself arent the only ones wondering

Not anti-Belichick bias? Let's look at the pass he gives to Ozzie Newsome:

"Baltimore Ravens (B): The myriad losses must be weighed against the mandate to re-sign Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco. Yet the departures of WR Anquan Boldin and ILB Dannell Ellerbe — which could hurt more than Ray Lewis' retirement — have to sting, and it's hard to believe FS Ed Reed is still in play. But let's look forward to hindsight, when GM Ozzie Newsome almost never has egg on his face."

So Ozzie never has egg on his face but Belichick is falling apart at the seams... hypocrisy?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

you're on the anti BB non sense as well? Must be Goodell is fixing the free agency process to work against the Pats because of Spygate...

heres a guy writing for USA Today with no ax to grind who speculates what the Pats have done isnt so great, just like I see it, yet I am dumb and a Jets troll rather than a die hard Pats fan who cares what they do in free agency, but this guy is simply anti BB?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

you know Wozzy, as a guy who is on the board always preaching the need to get tougher on D, and find guys for the Dline that are 330 lbs etc, etc...I am kind of surprised you are so accepting of the free agency signings the past few years that have not worked.

I understand you like the winning and the competing for SB's, who doesnt. But lets win a few more, right?

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

if you are so upset over the patriots offseason, go find a new team to root for. believe me, you wont be missed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

"and you have to wonder what the Patriots see in Donald Jones that the Bills didn't."

Maybe the Pats see what they saw in Welker 5 years ago that Miami didnt. Maybe they see what the Jets didnt see in Woodhead. Maybe they see what the Chargers didnt in Rodney Harrison. Maybe they see what Tamp didnt in Talib........and on and on. What a tool this Davis guy is. You to Rkarp.

is this Rusty using another handle? must be. any dope that wants to know what Tampa didnt see in Talib is simply that, a dope.

So some one expresses an opinion is a tool?

Do me a favor Rusty, put me on ignore....and take that creepy avatar down ya creep!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

if you are so upset over the patriots offseason, go find a new team to root for. believe me, you wont be missed.

another one who is happy with these aging, mediocre vet signings...do me a favor, dont come around on the board in October and November if the back 4 defenders are getting torched complaining that the problem wasnt fixed. and if AWilson doesnt make it thru camp same as Lynch and Tank, dont complain, because I will definately call you out on it...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

by the way Quagdope, how are your hands and speed these days? The Pats need a few more wide outs...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think it's way too early to tell.  You really can't look at predraft free agency in isolation from the whole team building activity that takes place through the preseason and includes the draft, undrafted rookie free agency, and the various rounds of free agency (predraft, postdraft, during camp and preseason, and at cutdown time). 

To date, I'd look at the Pats units as follows:

QB: no change made but no significant change needed (I'm evaluating talent here--there has been a beneficial change in the cap cost of this position, which is important, but not what I'm addressing now.)

OL:  so far has declined with Vollmer unsigned and Thomas gone; I expect more moves here.

RB: Think unit is improved, with greater experience of Ridley, Vereen, and Bolden.  Demps (if he's  back), Washington, and Fiametta all outweigh loss of Woodhead I think.  Think this unit is okay as is, but we may see some guys brought in for camp competition.

TE: Strong unit gets stronger with Ballard.

WR: a weak unit has gotten worse, but I expect a lot more to be done here.  Amendola gives us a reasonable alternatve to Welker, but the rest of the unit is still questionable.

DL: Marginal improvements with Armstead--still have work to do

LB--no significant change. Could get by as is, but would like an edge player who can cover and maybe pass rush

DB: Solidified corner position and added quality depth at safety.  Would like another good corner and maybe a safety, but overall progress has been made.

ST: have better kick returner with Washington and maybe Demps; may need punt returner if Edelman isn't signed; coverage units remain strong.

So far, I see good progress in the secondary (though some way still to go).  This and some improvements in special teams seem to be the main positives.  Receiver, O line, and D line remain areas where much more progress is needed, though we've had a few moves in those areas. Other units are generally in good shape, though one good coverage LB would be nice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

you're on the anti BB non sense as well? Must be Goodell is fixing the free agency process to work against the Pats because of Spygate...

heres a guy writing for USA Today with no ax to grind who speculates what the Pats have done isnt so great, just like I see it, yet I am dumb and a Jets troll rather than a die hard Pats fan who cares what they do in free agency, but this guy is simply anti BB?

People hate a winner, especially a dynasty style winner who doesn't have a drop off.  I can't say I'm above it, I hated the Dallas Cowboys in the 90's, can't stand the Miami Heat now, but I won't pretend it isn't there. A lot of these reporters don't like Belichick, don't like his dry monotone answers, they aren't sound bytes. 

If anything the Pat's should have been like a few other teams on his list that received an (I) for incomplete, especially considering how much money and room to maneuver they still have available... but he chose to give the Pat's a D?

I contend that it is impossible to be both a smashing success and also be a failure like some posters here insist.  You don't win by accident in the NFL, you don't blindly stumble into victories. 

If Brady is the answer, than explain how in 2002 with Tom Brady, a year removed from winning the Super Bowl they finished 9-7, yet went 11-5 with Matt Cassel in 2008?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Some very questionable grades all around as far as I can see - an 'A-' grade for GB for doing nothing except losing Jennings for example. The as mentioned 'B' for Baltimore for tying up 20M/yr for Flacco while losing a boat load of starters. B+ for KC is going to be interesting - looks an awful lot like Philly of two years ago!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think it's way too early to tell.  You really can't look at predraft free agency in isolation from the whole team building activity that takes place through the preseason and includes the draft, undrafted rookie free agency, and the various rounds of free agency (predraft, postdraft, during camp and preseason, and at cutdown time). 

To date, I'd look at the Pats units as follows:

QB: no change made but no significant change needed (I'm evaluating talent here--there has been a beneficial change in the cap cost of this position, which is important, but not what I'm addressing now.)

OL:  so far has declined with Vollmer unsigned and Thomas gone; I expect more moves here.

RB: Think unit is improved, with greater experience of Ridley, Vereen, and Bolden.  Demps (if he's  back), Washington, and Fiametta all outweigh loss of Woodhead I think.  Think this unit is okay as is, but we may see some guys brought in for camp competition.

TE: Strong unit gets stronger with Ballard.

WR: a weak unit has gotten worse, but I expect a lot more to be done here.  Amendola gives us a reasonable alternatve to Welker, but the rest of the unit is still questionable.

DL: Marginal improvements with Armstead--still have work to do

LB--no significant change. Could get by as is, but would like an edge player who can cover and maybe pass rush

DB: Solidified corner position and added quality depth at safety.  Would like another good corner and maybe a safety, but overall progress has been made.

ST: have better kick returner with Washington and maybe Demps; may need punt returner if Edelman isn't signed; coverage units remain strong.

So far, I see good progress in the secondary (though some way still to go).  This and some improvements in special teams seem to be the main positives.  Receiver, O line, and D line remain areas where much more progress is needed, though we've had a few moves in those areas. Other units are generally in good shape, though one good coverage LB would be nice.

excellant analysis. agree 100%, except I hope WIlson at 34years old is as god as eveyone thinks he is...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

People hate a winner, especially a dynasty style winner who doesn't have a drop off.  I can't say I'm above it, I hated the Dallas Cowboys in the 90's, can't stand the Miami Heat now, but I won't pretend it isn't there. A lot of these reporters don't like Belichick, don't like his dry monotone answers, they aren't sound bytes. 

If anything the Pat's should have been like a few other teams on his list that received an (I) for incomplete, especially considering how much money and room to maneuver they still have available... but he chose to give the Pat's a D?

I contend that it is impossible to be both a smashing success and also be a failure like some posters here insist.  You don't win by accident in the NFL, you don't blindly stumble into victories. 

If Brady is the answer, than explain how in 2002 with Tom Brady and a year removed from winning the Super Bowl they finished 9-7, yet went 11-5 with Matt Cassel in 2008?

I had assumed the "D" grade was due to the amount of money the Pats had, but so far the signings were Jones and Wilson. It seems pretty clear thegrade will change pending additional moves. Hoping the next moves are Vollmer and Edelman. Hope they dont lose Vollmer for $1M  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It's too early to tell, but I'm not overly thrilled with what they've done in free agency yet.

Losing Woodhead and signing Washington, to me made the running back spot thin, and when you consider we don't have many draft selections, I can't see us upgrading that third down spot at this point. Vareen will have to be the guy and that's a risk.

Welker was probably the most consistent player on the roster and now he has been replaced with an injury prone player (for the same money). To me this situation came down to it being personal.

Wilson will be 34 next season.

We cut Lloyd and signed Jones...this position can't be anywhere close to a finished product at this point.

We decided not to go after any of the young defensive linemen and pass rushers...to me that was the most surpriseing thing about the whole free agency period so far.

The signing of Talib was smart - just a good deal all around.

I think this free agency period has to be far from over, I expect another shoe to drop because this can't be it...it just can't be. At least I hope not.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Mthurl,

You echo my sentiments exactly, but much more eloquently as I am letting my passion get the best of me...

Maybe Rusty is right and I am wrong. I simply dont see this free agency period as being something to get excited about for Pats fans. To make matters worse, last years crop of 13 signees are all gone except for 1 (assuming Fells is cut)

As someone who desperately wants another couple of SB wins, I really hope Wilson and Abes(?) can work out. But history has not been kind to 34 years old players in the NFL, and realistically, arent they a 1 year band aid at best?

Rusty has been pestering me about changing the offense. I can live with a tweak here and there. But is BB going to take the ball out of the hands of the most prolific passer in NFL history (argueably). Doesnt he need WR's?

I am hoping Vollmer and Edelman are still on the radar. I cant imagine financially much more being done other than camp bodies if those 2 are signed...are the WR's for Brady going to be Amendola, Jones, Edleman and a rookie?

All I can say is after last years horrible free agency crop, I expected much more. Maybe that is why I am so passionate about it..my expectations were too high.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

nice post wozzy....and you are absolutely right, the pats should be given an "I" for incomplete. they have done a good job so far imo, but they are not done yet.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

There are some here who truly try to look at things objectively. There are some here who love to stir the pot just for the sake of stirring the pot - and to those people I am being generous because the alternative is that they really are as stupid as their posts.

It is impossible to gauge how well the Pats have done in FA until they walk in to training camp - and so they have gone completely through FA and the draft and any trades to that point. And even then it is only a guess because there will be some people who cant even make the roster come the season. There will be disappointments like that for every team.

But if want to put some immediate grade to this you have to take into consideration that it is a wokr in progress. So not yet having improved the pass rush for example (though Armstead is a hope for the team, not something to rely on at this point) does not factor in much.

Also, with guys like RKARP who seem to value a fantasy football perspective (i.e. it is all about numbers including speed or size or stats rather than about the total makeup of a unit and a team) you end up valuing the wrong things. You end up with the 2012 New York Jets for example.

If you want to measure FA so far:

1. Amendola adds a little more size and speed to the receiving corps while still showing he can catch a whole lot of passes even when a mediocre QB is throwing to him (85 one year and 66 or so on troack for high 80s last year). He is clearly a better fit skill set wise in this THREE TE offense than Welker. What he does not bring on day ONE is the hugely important chemistry Brady and Welker had. That is no small thing. But in terms of skill sets he is an overall improvement BECAUSE of the skill sets of the other players that will be on the field too. ---- Because of his PROVEN ability to get open, make great catches, catch a whole lotta balls, play tough, make big plays, and his speed and quickness --- and his excellent capabilities to return kicks (even if he ends up just depth in that regard) he is rates an "A" grade.
    2. Talib - If you, any of you, have not seen the improvement both on film and in the overall team stats, the pass D went from miserable to solid once Talib was playing and when he was on the field. He may not be Revis, but signing him rates an "A-" here because, AGAIN, it has to do with how his skills fit the team needs. And that fit is big and critical.
    3. Arrington - showed his decent ability to cover slot. Hainvg a young guy like him continue to gel with McCourty and Wilson the younger and Talib and Dennard is a very good thing. Still, he is sound but not great. I give that signing a "B-". It helps. But it is more a role player than a playmaker at this point. Maybe he will blossom but at this point he is not the difference maker Amendola or Talib are.
    4. Wilson - Great career. Possibly very good role player here for 1-3 years (with 1-2 more likely). He brings some of the toughness we want in a D. He brings hits over the middle. He is big enough to help in covering TEs and RBs as well. I do not think he is a full time player but I expect him to play a lot. As a role player and perhaps a leader who is hungry for a SB he should help though not be a truly critical piece. Just one thats brings the team closer. I give this signing a "C+".
    5. Washington - imporves KOR. That is it. Not as good a player as Woodhead. At all. Period. But Vereen is more explosive than Woodhead and the hope is I think that Vereen is taking over more of those plays in the lineup fromn Woody. So Washington is not really an everyday replacement of Woody. He is a step up in KOR. And he gives you some depth at RB JUST IN CASE. For a KOR he ios a great signing. But as that is his real value I think I grade his signing as "C-". If you grade "as a KOR" i would give the signing a "B+" or maybe an "A-". But overall, C-.
    6. Jones - hopefully he wil be a 3rd WR or even 4th. Not a 1 or 2. In that role he should be an improvement over last year. That is not saying very much. I give this a grade of "C-". I will likely help but I do not expect it to make a significant difference. I could certainly end up being wrong and his impact could be much more. Not holding my breath. But still it is not a bad move.
    7. Armstead - a flyer on a guy who might maybe represent a steal. I give it "incomplete" as I have no idea whether he will make the team at all. No expectations. As a shot with no risk taken it is a great move. But its grade is "incomplete" - no reason to think this is either going to hurt or help. It might do neither.

They need to get RT done. Cannon is not my first choice because I do not think he has the foot speed to play tackle. I think he should be a guard (RG on this team).

They need to add a good WR, with speed or size or both. Wouldnt it be nice if they finally got one right in the draft at this position.

They need to add pass rush inside and out.

THey need to add talent inside onthe DL.

They need to improve TE coverage.

So lots more to do. But the moves so far, to the extent they have done things, has been good. THey are working towards keeping the team playoff competitive - not just playoff hopeful. A couple of solid hits away from being a favorite to go to the SB with an even chance of winning. But if the critical needs are not met they will have to be healthier than they have been to win the AFC and to win a SB. And they will need to play clutch of course.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Mthurl,

You echo my sentiments exactly, but much more eloquently as I am letting my passion get the best of me...

Maybe Rusty is right and I am wrong. I simply dont see this free agency period as being something to get excited about for Pats fans. To make matters worse, last years crop of 13 signees are all gone except for 1 (assuming Fells is cut)

As someone who desperately wants another couple of SB wins, I really hope Wilson and Abes(?) can work out. But history has not been kind to 34 years old players in the NFL, and realistically, arent they a 1 year band aid at best?

Rusty has been pestering me about changing the offense. I can live with a tweak here and there. But is BB going to take the ball out of the hands of the most prolific passer in NFL history (argueably). Doesnt he need WR's?

I am hoping Vollmer and Edelman are still on the radar. I cant imagine financially much more being done other than camp bodies if those 2 are signed...are the WR's for Brady going to be Amendola, Jones, Edleman and a rookie?

All I can say is after last years horrible free agency crop, I expected much more. Maybe that is why I am so passionate about it..my expectations were too high.

My expectations of what the Patriot's will do during free agency has been lowered...the past few years will do that to you. I'd love to see another off season like 07, but with it being this far into the free agent period I can't envision it happening now. Perhaps there is something being cooked up, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

All I really want is for them to spend to the cap - give us that - at least we should be on equal ground with the teams that end up punching us in the mouth during the playoffs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

There are some here who truly try to look at things objectively. There are some here who love to stir the pot just for the sake of stirring the pot - and to those people I am being generous because the alternative is that they really are as stupid as their posts.

It is impossible to gauge how well the Pats have done in FA until they walk in to training camp - and so they have gone completely through FA and the draft and any trades to that point. And even then it is only a guess because there will be some people who cant even make the roster come the season. There will be disappointments like that for every team.

But if want to put some immediate grade to this you have to take into consideration that it is a wokr in progress. So not yet having improved the pass rush for example (though Armstead is a hope for the team, not something to rely on at this point) does not factor in much.

Also, with guys like RKARP who seem to value a fantasy football perspective (i.e. it is all about numbers including speed or size or stats rather than about the total makeup of a unit and a team) you end up valuing the wrong things. You end up with the 2012 New York Jets for example.

1. Amendola adds a little more size and speed to the receiving corps while still showing he can catch a whole lot of passes even when a mediocre QB is throwing to him (85 one year and 66 or so on troack for high 80s last year). He is clearly a better fit skill set wise in this THREE TE offense than Welker. What he does not bring on day ONE is the hugely important chemistry Brady and Welker had. That is no small thing. But in terms of skill sets he is an overall improvement BECAUSE of the skill sets of the other players that will be on the field too. ---- Because of his PROVEN ability to get open, make great catches, catch a whole lotta balls, play tough, make big plays, and his speed and quickness --- and his excellent capabilities to return kicks (even if he ends up just depth in that regard) he is rates an "A" grade.
    2. Talib - If you, any of you, have not seen the improvement both on film and in the overall team stats, the pass D went from miserable to solid once Talib was playing and when he was on the field. He may not be Revis, but signing him rates an "A-" here because, AGAIN, it has to do with how his skills fit the team needs. And that fit is big and critical.
    3. Arrington - showed his decent ability to cover slot. Hainvg a young guy like him continue to gel with McCourty and Wilson the younger and Talib and Dennard is a very good thing. Still, he is sound but not great. I give that signing a "B-". It helps. But it is more a role player than a playmaker at this point. Maybe he will blossom but at this point he is not the difference maker Amendola or Talib are.
    4. Wilson - Great career. Possibly very good role player here for 1-3 years (with 1-2 more likely). He brings some of the toughness we want in a D. He brings hits over the middle. He is big enough to help in covering TEs and RBs as well. I do not think he is a full time player but I expect him to play a lot. As a role player and perhaps a leader who is hungry for a SB he should help though not be a truly critical piece. Just one thats brings the team closer. I give this signing a "C+".
    5. Washington - imporves KOR. That is it. Not as good a player as Woodhead. At all. Period. But Vereen is more explosive than Woodhead and the hope is I think that Vereen is taking over more of those plays in the lineup fromn Woody. So Washington is not really an everyday replacement of Woody. He is a step up in KOR. And he gives you some depth at RB JUST IN CASE. For a KOR he ios a great signing. But as that is his real value I think I grade his signing as "C-". If you grade "as a KOR" i would give the signing a "B+" or maybe an "A-". But overall, C-.
    6. Jones - hopefully he wil be a 3rd WR or even 4th. Not a 1 or 2. In that role he should be an improvement over last year. That is not saying very much. I give this a grade of "C-". I will likely help but I do not expect it to make a significant difference. I could certainly end up being wrong and his impact could be much more. Not holding my breath. But still it is not a bad move.
    7. Armstead - a flyer on a guy who might maybe represent a steal. I give it "incomplete" as I have no idea whether he will make the team at all. No expectations. As a shot with no risk taken it is a great move. But its grade is "incomplete" - no reason to think this is either going to hurt or help. It might do neither.

They need to get RT done. Cannon is not my first choice because I do not think he has the foot speed to play tackle. I think he should be a guard (RG on this team).

They need to add a good WR, with speed or size or both. Wouldnt it be nice if they finally got one right in the draft at this position.

So lots more to do. But the moves so far, to the extent they have done things, has been good. THey are working towards keeping the team playoff competitive - not just playoff hopeful. A couple of solid hits away from being a favorite to go to the SB with an even chance of winning. But if the critical needs are not met they will have to be healthier than they have been to win the AFC and to win a SB. And they will need to play clutch of course.

I am in essential agreement.  Well stated.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

nice post even though you took a shot at me...no problem..

Curious to know, did you write a similar post to last years signings? If you did, was it positive or negative?

I also have assumed that Amendola, Talib and Arrington would be a wash  as they were here last year (Amendola = Wes)...My commentary has been regarding Wilson, Jones and Washington. I actually like Wqshington. I simply dont feel a roster spot is needed or a player that wil not take snaps other than returns.

$7M left to sign with assuming 3 for rookies and $5 for carry over. I am still hoping Vollmer

Sections
Shortcuts