I guess Mthurl, TFB and myself arent the only ones wondering

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: I guess Mthurl, TFB and myself arent the only ones wondering

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Rkarp slapped with ease.

I see a lot of insults, but not one compelling arguement that I am wrong. HAs anyone said last years free agency crop was good? Has anyone said 34 year old S's play well in the NFL?

Here's hoping I dont have the last laugh, but if I do, at least we will have Brady to save the season yet again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It hasn't been great. But FA isn't over and the draft is yet to come. 

NE could make this a LOT better  based on whoever they sign to fill the other WR position and based on what they come away with in the draft. 

Again. People are hyper touchy about the Welker move ... when you don't know that NE was all that interested in purchasing a slot WR for any more than they offered. 

Also, not super psyched about Wilson ... he will likely be a role player. Though, it will be nice if he is the Big Nickel guy who muscles up against TEs. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

you're on the anti BB non sense as well? Must be Goodell is fixing the free agency process to work against the Pats because of Spygate...

heres a guy writing for USA Today with no ax to grind who speculates what the Pats have done isnt so great, just like I see it, yet I am dumb and a Jets troll rather than a die hard Pats fan who cares what they do in free agency, but this guy is simply anti BB?

What some jerk writes has no bearing on what is real.  You may not be a Jest troll, but you are doing a fair impression of CHICKEN LITTLE.  Cork it and wait to see what the Patriots put on the field.  These sports "experts" who write this stuff are rarely right.  This free agency beauty pagent is something we lose all the time, yet everything else works out pretty well.  It will work out great again.  Watch THAT $h1t happen.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

According to a Bedard/Globe article, Pats have 3-7 million to spend. Probably goodbye Volmer, hello Cannon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to teegee's comment:

According to a Bedard/Globe article, Pats have 3-7 million to spend. Probably goodbye Volmer, hello Cannon.

I guess despite their legendary frugality, they haven't totally avoided salary cap hell themselves.  The numbers do suggest, however, that continued frugality is necessary. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

nice post even though you took a shot at me...no problem..

Curious to know, did you write a similar post to last years signings? If you did, was it positive or negative?

I also have assumed that Amendola, Talib and Arrington would be a wash  as they were here last year (Amendola = Wes)...My commentary has been regarding Wilson, Jones and Washington. I actually like Wqshington. I simply dont feel a roster spot is needed or a player that wil not take snaps other than returns.

$7M left to sign with assuming 3 for rookies and $5 for carry over. I am still hoping Vollmer

First of all, you took my shot VERY well. Makes me feel I went too far including you. It is just that I have read way too many posts that are either over the top pro team or over the top anti team.

As for last year I do recall some of my posts regarding drafted players. I dont recall of the top of my head about FA in particular though I am sure I must have said something. I do recall being stunned by taking Wilson in the draft but I immediately went to see some film and read up on him a bit and came away not unhappy at all - unlike many who pointed to the pick as proof of  bad drafting (even though he had not even had a chance to even take a single practice let alone play). I was also happy with Dennard seeing as we got him many rounds after he should have gone. I also was happy anout Jones and Hightower - especially Hightower at the time of the draft. And I think he might end up being a big time player for BB.

Regarding DA, Talib and Arrington as washes. I do not exactly see it that way. First off none had to come back. They could all have ended up elsewhere. But more than that, Talib was not here for preseason and half the regular season. He made a huge difference pnce here. And he had some time in the D and with this secondary. We are better than we were on opening day with him by far and better I think than the last game of the season because of his time with the team and the D. Arrington is a bit more of a wash in a way. But starting him as slot coverage and not outside, plus the fact he was only in his second year plus the fact you get McCourty, Talib, Dennard, Wilson the younger all having time on the field with him and the unit has some chance to gel - I think that adds up to improvement.

DA is a different story. He is not Wes. It is not a swap. He opens the field more than Wes could.  He is a little bigger and a little faster and still has the hands and the skills and toughness to make a LOT of catches and big plays. I think he fits better considering the other talents on the O.

So I do not see it exaclty the same as you do.

Regarding Jones - as a 3rd or 4th WR he is an upgrade. Not a big difference maker. But an upgrade.

Regarding Washington - I personally would have preferred to have Woody back. And I agree that having a guy on the roster just for KOR (and him not being Hester) doesnt sit right. SO I expect that IF Washington makes the team (and he might not!) he will be a noticeable upgrade at KOR (if we block better... I dont think we block very well... not last year) and maybe he will play on other special teams - KO coverage for example. ANd he will give us a little depth as a scat back type. So I am not in serious disagreement here but I am not upset by bringing him in to camp.

Taken all together I think it is more realistic to look at it SO FAR like this:

1. We have improved the skill sets at two WR spots (still need to sign or replace Lloyd and/or Edelman)
    2. We have solidified our starting secondary, letting the three CBs and the two starting S focus on their definite roles and working together as a unit - AND improved our safety (and possbly hybrid S/LB cover guy) off the bench and in terms of toughness
    3. We have improved our PR and KOR capabilites with DA and Washington
    4. have not blown the bank on anything and we KNOW our cap space left to fill the remaining needs 

None of the above equals a better team than last years opening day team. Too soon to know how the rest of the additions will fit. But it is working in the direction of improving on both opening day and the team as it was at the end of the season.

Lastly I agree with you again regarding Vollmer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

If you were giving a grade on the Patriots' free-agent activity to this point, what would it be?

The question came to mind after reading a team-by-team breakdown by Nate Davis of USA Today, in which the Patriots were viewed as one of the league's big losers based on the present snapshot. Davis gives the Patriots a D-plus.

"The jury is out on what amounts to a free agent swap of Welker for younger but less durable Danny Amendola, and no one will be watching more closely than QB Tom Brady with his new cap-friendly deal. CB Aqib Talib is back, and maybe S Adrian Wilson is the next coming of Rodney Harrison. And there appear to be several more irons currently in the fire, so this grade may soon require revision. But the receiving corps looks weaker without Welker and Brandon Lloyd, and you have to wonder what the Patriots see in Donald Jones that the Bills didn't. And whither right tackle Sebastian Vollmer?"

In Davis' view, only the Redskins and Bengals are graded lower at this point.

This is a theme that also surfaced in our weekly ESPNBoston chat on Thursday, with some chatters disappointed in the Patriots' moves at this point. Clearly, Wes Welker's defection is a big part of the mindset.

A few counterpoints were brought up in the chat: "It's an incomplete picture. ... If we look at some of the most successful teams in the NFL over the years, this is a time they use to complement their core, not create it ... The re-signing of Talib was critical ... Scott Pioli notes that they don't give out a trophy for spending the most money, or spending it the fastest; it's about spending smartly."

I have to say I would be disappointed with the free agency if this was all they do - particularly with the cap space they had. Also with Brady having done a cap friendly re structure. I really thought this offseason they might bring in a marquee signing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Rkarp slapped with ease.

I see a lot of insults, but not one compelling arguement that I am wrong. HAs anyone said last years free agency crop was good? Has anyone said 34 year old S's play well in the NFL?

Here's hoping I dont have the last laugh, but if I do, at least we will have Brady to save the season yet again.

I see a lot of you and Mt Hurl not learning and being igrorant 40 somethings.

Ed Reed is what 33? Houston just signed him for 6 million. BB signed Adrian Wilson for 1 million per.

And, here is something you two dopes aren't adding into the equation:  McCourty and possibly Spikes are due for NEW deals after 2013.  That means BB is making a decision on each, or if he wants to replace Spikes in some fashion. If had to re-up McCourty, that's probably your decision on where the bulk of the Safety will be going to in the future, so a bloated Goldson type deal probably was never in the cards.

If you knew anything abotu the NFL outside of NE, instead of what Cris Carter whispers in your ear as anti-BB guy (since he BB dealt Moss away), you'd know that Adrian Wilson is a flat out GAME CHANGER.

Think Rodney Harrison. High IQ, tone setter, intelligence. BB is drooling right now.

BB has actually done almost everything I've been looking for so far. Get Talib. Check. Get a veteran Safety. Check.

Resign Arrington, who is apparently VERY underrated by our own fans in the nickel. Check.

Walk from Vollmer because Cannon is ready and some team will get desperate and bloat his price in the market. We don't know about that quite yet. Walk from Woodhead because he was used too much in big games and Leon Washington boosts our return game OVERNIGHT and Vereen is Woodhead and ready. Check.

And, finally, Welker vs Amendola. I am for whatever IMPROVES the TEAM.  I would have been happy keeping Welker at 5, bringing in Amendola at his 6, but Wes made his choice.  Amendola is going to make people forget about Welker, very quickly, IMO.   He was playing around hacks at the position. Here, he'll be even better with better weapons around him and obviously Brady. Good luck to defenses.

Lastly, this is a unique FA period because it's like 3 full waves of quality FAs, which is VERY unusual, which means it's still ongoing. It will be like this nex year, too. So, giving any team a full grade now is dumb, but even if you were to do it after the 1st wave, how on earth is it a D? with what I laid out above?  I could see if they lost their top choice in Talib, didn't get their top choice at SS for the money, didn't imprive a poroous kick off return game or overpaid wildly like Miami did for the signigns like Wallace at 13 million or Ellerbe at 8 million, but BB didn't.

And any sportswriter who gives Ozzie Newsome a B with their cap problems, 80% of the starting D gone, including two HOFers down the middle with no to little solution, being completely bamboozled with Flacco's awful deal, etc, is a clear anti-BB sportswriter and MORON.

WHy don't you, MtHurl and Crissy Carter get on a conference call and call BB advising him on how to budget wisely and allocate salary to which positions.

You not getting it at this point with your constant spamming and denials as you deflect from previous embarrassaments here, because that is really what you're doing as you dig yourself a deeper hole, is the height of ignorance.

As stated, no way on god's green earth you have a college degree, let alone an MBA from Harvard.

Cris Carter is your guidance counselor through this and I can't think of a bigger moron who thinks he's is so smart, at ESPN right now.

Keyshawn Johnson gets it more than Cris Carter. 

Well truthfully you're not really objective, in fact the only reason why anyone really responds to anything you write is because you're rude and post 600 times a day. That's it.

Free agency isn't over...there's plenty of time left and a draft on its way...I'm hoping it will get better. Right now it looks to me like we havent improved as a team, but there's more to come. You understand? More to come. However to run around saying everything is just peachy, is false.

I like Amendola - think he is a very good talent - but he is not making the receiver spot actually better than what we had at his spot last year...therefore, no improvement. We cut Lloyd, so therefore until they bring someone in (or resign him)...no improvement there either. We resigned Talib and Arrington, that's not an improvement...it's the same thing. We signed Wilson...should be improvement, but no slam dunk at 34. We don't have Vollmer signed. We lost Woodhead. Does Vareen have more potential? Yes, in fact I think he has down right special receiving skills, but he is an injury waiting to happen. We didn't sign a pass rusher. We haven't added the beef to help out Vince.

There's nothing special about this off season thus far.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Rkarp slapped with ease.

Ed Reed is what 33? Houston just signed him for 6 million. BB signed Adrian Wilson for 1 million per.

And, here is something you two dopes aren't adding into the equation:  McCourty and possibly Spikes are due for NEW deals after 2013.  That means BB is making a decision on each, or if he wants to replace Spikes in some fashion. If had to re-up McCourty, that's probably your decision on where the bulk of the Safety will be going to in the future, so a bloated Goldson type deal probably was never in the cards.

If you knew anything abotu the NFL outside of NE, instead of what Cris Carter whispers in your ear as anti-BB guy (since he BB dealt Moss away), you'd know that Adrian Wilson is a flat out GAME CHANGER.

Think Rodney Harrison. High IQ, tone setter, intelligence. BB is drooling right now.

BB has actually done almost everything I've been looking for so far. Get Talib. Check. Get a veteran Safety. Check.

Resign Arrington, who is apparently VERY underrated by our own fans in the nickel. Check.

Walk from Vollmer because Cannon is ready and some team will get desperate and bloat his price in the market. We don't know about that quite yet. Walk from Woodhead because he was used too much in big games and Leon Washington boosts our return game OVERNIGHT and Vereen is Woodhead and ready. Check.

And, finally, Welker vs Amendola. I am for whatever IMPROVES the TEAM.  I would have been happy keeping Welker at 5, bringing in Amendola at his 6, but Wes made his choice.  Amendola is going to make people forget about Welker, very quickly, IMO.   He was playing around hacks at the position. Here, he'll be even better with better weapons around him and obviously Brady. Good luck to defenses.

Lastly, this is a unique FA period because it's like 3 full waves of quality FAs, which is VERY unusual, which means it's still ongoing. It will be like this nex year, too. So, giving any team a full grade now is dumb, but even if you were to do it after the 1st wave, how on earth is it a D? with what I laid out above?  I could see if they lost their top choice in Talib, didn't get their top choice at SS for the money, didn't imprive a poroous kick off return game or overpaid wildly like Miami did for the signigns like Wallace at 13 million or Ellerbe at 8 million, but BB didn't.

And any sportswriter who gives Ozzie Newsome a B with their cap problems, 80% of the starting D gone, including two HOFers down the middle with no to little solution, being completely bamboozled with Flacco's awful deal, etc, is a clear anti-BB sportswriter and MORON.

WHy don't you, MtHurl and Crissy Carter get on a conference call and call BB advising him on how to budget wisely and allocate salary to which positions.

You not getting it at this point with your constant spamming and denials as you deflect from previous embarrassaments here, because that is really what you're doing as you dig yourself a deeper hole, is the height of ignorance.

As stated, no way on god's green earth you have a college degree, let alone an MBA from Harvard.

Cris Carter is your guidance counselor through this and I can't think of a bigger moron who thinks he's is so smart, at ESPN right now.

Well truthfully you're not really objective, in fact the only reason why anyone really responds to anything you write is because you're rude and post 600 times a day. That's it.

Free agency isn't over...there's plenty of time left and a draft on its way...I'm hoping it will get better. Right now it looks to me like we havent improved as a team, but there's more to come. You understand? More to come. However to run around saying everything is just peachy, is false.

I like Amendola - think he is a very good talent - but he is not making the receiver spot actually better than what we had at his spot last year...therefore, no improvement. We cut Lloyd, so therefore until they bring someone in (or resign him)...no improvement there either. We resigned Talib and Arrington, that's not an improvement...it's the same thing. We signed Wilson...should be improvement, but no slam dunk at 34. We don't have Vollmer signed. We lost Woodhead. Does Vareen have more potential? Yes, in fact I think he has down right special receiving skills, but he is an injury waiting to happen. We didn't sign a pass rusher. We haven't added the beef to help out Vince.

I just do not agree with you. On most of what you say here. Way too simplistic. For example - DA adds some speed and ability to use more of the field than Wes. Different does not always mean better - or worse - but in this case a BETTER FIT is AN IMPROVEMENT. I grant you that is ON PAPER and Wes was exceptional. So DA will have to prove it.. JUST LIKE EVERY PLAYER.

Also as an example - neither Talib nor Arrington was on this team before they were signed. It was a matter of them or someone else and the cost for any choice made. Both, especially Talib, means a solid secondary in terms of starting rotation. Not a small thing to shore up at this stage.

Think o it this way: the team comes into March with a list of needs and priorities. CB (Talib) and slot cover (Arrington) are important needs because we didnt have those filled on the roster. The two guys we signed are good at those roles and have the added advantage of having experience on the team and with the unit. Those were MUST HAVE roles to fill and they filled them well (maybe not exciting to those fantasy football fans but I will take actual wins over fantasy football). FA has not and will not put this team over the top. It is only ONE PART of putting together a team  for preseason. THere is more FA to come and a draft and maybe a trade or two....

I just think you are one of those fans who dont get that it is a matter of building a NEW roster.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Right now it looks to me like we havent improved as a team, but there's more to come.

Top teams improve via the draft more than FA other than retaining their own guys.  49ers added Boldin and lost Goldson and Walker.  Have they improved?  Ravens added Canty and Spears, but lost Lewis, Reed, Pollard, McKinnie, Birk, Boldin and Kruger.  Have they improved?  The Texans added Reed, but lost Quin, Casey and Barwin.  Have they improved?  Green Bay lost Jennings.  Have they improved?  Heck the Broncos added Welker, but they might lose Dumervil.  Have they improved? 

NE is still in a good position to retain Vollmer and add a pass rusher like Abraham.  Will that make them better than last year?  Maybe, maybe not, but it sure as hell hasn't made them significantly worse.  When you are a top team in the NFL isn't that the point?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

To follow up on my last post if you are a good team you shouldn't be spending lots of money on "impact free agents".  You should be drafting well enough and retaining your own guys so that you don't have the cap room to do that.  If you have lots of cap room it is either because you have a lot of high priced guys that need to be resigned or your team completely sucks and your roster is half empty.

Consider last offseason.  More money was spent on retaining Gronk, Hernandez and Wes (franchise tag) than anything else.  Those things need to be considered when wondering why we didn't sign some other high priced guys that were out there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Overall, very good post.  Makes the pink helmets sweat a bit when there is that much logic in a post.

Thanks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

I agree with the grade for the Pats at the moment of a D+.  All we heard leading up to free agency was how the Pats had managed their cap space to take advantage of all the other teams that did not and the flood of FA that would be out there this year.  Then Brady redid his contract to give them even more cap space.  To me its pretty simple --- At the end of last season what were the areas the Pats needed to get better at--- and have they.

1) They still do not generate a consistant pass rush.  They have not addressed this at all.

2) They need to be better at CB.  They get a wash bringing back Talib but are people really happy with Dennard, Ras I and Arrington after that???  What if Talib gets hurt again?  I really thought they would bring in more help at CB.

3) Pretty much everyone said they needed a deep threat at WR.  Not ony have they not addressed it they have gotten worse.  We effectively trade Welker for the LA guy and we cut the most productive outside guy the Pats had last year.  All they have added is some dude from Buffalo.

4) Always look to improve the OL.  Yet again they lose Thomas one of the best backups and Volhmer is still not signed. 

5) Safety is an area I hope is upgraded with Wilson.  Hope he stays healthy.

6) Special Teams.  I hope Washington still has something left, but they lost woody with this move and I really liked Woody.  Not sure if Demps is even an option anymore.

So at this point while teams like Denver, Seattle, KC, and SF have improved to me the Pats are actually alittle worse.

I know the draft is still left but this is actually a year when the Pats do not have that many picks.  I really thought they would have addressed more of their problem areas in Free agency then they have so far.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Part of the disagreement on this thread comes down to people confusing two different things: (1) improving the team and (2) building the team. At the end of the season, 18 guys were free agents and possibly leaving.  We therefore had to partially rebuild the team just to stay even with what we were last year.  Improving the team is another thing altogether.  In the offseason you ideally want to rebuild and also improve.  So far, our offseason moves have helped us significantly in the rebuilding objective and only marginally in the improving objective.  There's still quite a way to go in both rebuilding and improving, but we've made decent progress on the rebuilding front and a little progress on the improving front.  Of course, certain positions like OL and WR are still far from rebuilt, never mind improved. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Part of the disagreement on this thread comes down to people confusing two different things: (1) improving the team and (2) building the team. 

Yes, and part of that concern is whether you go 6 mil per on a guy who is too short to run X/Z routes effectively. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Lol that article is ridiculous , I read it earlier and laughed.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

We are never going to have a protoypical number 1 WR unless we draft one. The contracts we gave to Gronk and Hernandez have made that clear (at least to me). 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

I agree with the grade for the Pats at the moment of a D+.  All we heard leading up to free agency was how the Pats had managed their cap space to take advantage of all the other teams that did not and the flood of FA that would be out there this year.  Then Brady redid his contract to give them even more cap space.  To me its pretty simple --- At the end of last season what were the areas the Pats needed to get better at--- and have they.

1) They still do not generate a consistant pass rush.  They have not addressed this at all.

2) They need to be better at CB.  They get a wash bringing back Talib but are people really happy with Dennard, Ras I and Arrington after that???  What if Talib gets hurt again?  I really thought they would bring in more help at CB.

3) Pretty much everyone said they needed a deep threat at WR.  Not ony have they not addressed it they have gotten worse.  We effectively trade Welker for the LA guy and we cut the most productive outside guy the Pats had last year.  All they have added is some dude from Buffalo.

4) Always look to improve the OL.  Yet again they lose Thomas one of the best backups and Volhmer is still not signed. 

5) Safety is an area I hope is upgraded with Wilson.  Hope he stays healthy.

6) Special Teams.  I hope Washington still has something left, but they lost woody with this move and I really liked Woody.  Not sure if Demps is even an option anymore.

So at this point while teams like Denver, Seattle, KC, and SF have improved to me the Pats are actually alittle worse.

I know the draft is still left but this is actually a year when the Pats do not have that many picks.  I really thought they would have addressed more of their problem areas in Free agency then they have so far.

Are you claiming that the FA period for this time is finished?  BB targeted literally who he wanted and dicated that price.

Arrington was ranked as the 2nd best nickel in the NFL last year and people wanted to deal a 1st for Ladarius Webb this offseason. LMAO

Some of you are either literally  12 year old with a video game controller or are new to how BB goes about his business.

I kept sayin it's not about making a lot of moves, it's about making the RIGHT ones.

So far, it's been very good, or maybe that's just me because his moves have mirrored my wishes.

It's a relief Welker is gone in some way. The torture of him playing 2 more years here and Brady staring his buddy down through tight windows with no SB title would have been one of the saddest endings to a career ever.

I started my post with the phrase "at the moment" so no I do not think FA period is over.  I am still surprised they have not done more. 

Also I didnt say sign 10 million guys, I listed the areas I think they need improvment in and if it had been addressed.  Did they upgrade the pass rush yet?  You think the offense is better with Welker, Lloyd and Woody gone and replaced by LA guy and Buffalo Castaway? You really sold on Arrington?  Boy I can't wait to the Denver game and seeing Arrington on Welker.  See what you think after that one.  Offense line  better or worse?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

This thread was created to throw the trash around.  I mean listening to a writer who decides to grade the FA period in the middle of it?  Give it a rest!  This place is turning into a joke with little sound input these days.  The article discredits itself alone on the grade given the Ravens.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Part of the disagreement on this thread comes down to people confusing two different things: (1) improving the team and (2) building the team. At the end of the season, 18 guys were free agents and possibly leaving.  We therefore had to partially rebuild the team just to stay even with what we were last year.  Improving the team is another thing altogether.  In the offseason you ideally want to rebuild and also improve.  So far, our offseason moves have helped us significantly in the rebuilding objective and only marginally in the improving objective.  There's still quite a way to go in both rebuilding and improving, but we've made decent progress on the rebuilding front and a little progress on the improving front.  Of course, certain positions like OL and WR are still far from rebuilt, never mind improved. 

Spot on...! Many would do well to recognize the points you make. Thank God BB gets it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Rkarp slapped with ease.

I just do not agree with you. On most of what you say here. Way too simplistic. For example - DA adds some speed and ability to use more of the field than Wes. Different does not always mean better - or worse - but in this case a BETTER FIT is AN IMPROVEMENT. I grant you that is ON PAPER and Wes was exceptional. So DA will have to prove it.. JUST LIKE EVERY PLAYER.

Also as an example - neither Talib nor Arrington was on this team before they were signed. It was a matter of them or someone else and the cost for any choice made. Both, especially Talib, means a solid secondary in terms of starting rotation. Not a small thing to shore up at this stage.

Think o it this way: the team comes into March with a list of needs and priorities. CB (Talib) and slot cover (Arrington) are important needs because we didnt have those filled on the roster. The two guys we signed are good at those roles and have the added advantage of having experience on the team and with the unit. Those were MUST HAVE roles to fill and they filled them well (maybe not exciting to those fantasy football fans but I will take actual wins over fantasy football). FA has not and will not put this team over the top. It is only ONE PART of putting together a team  for preseason. THere is more FA to come and a draft and maybe a trade or two....

I just think you are one of those fans who dont get that it is a matter of building a NEW roster.

Well I think I understand clearly that the offseason has several phases to it - and I mentioned it not being over - and that obviously there has to be more considering our receiver position as of right now.

This part I don't really agree with...

You really have to compare last year's team to the one taking the field next season, in terms of improvement. There is no other way around it. I do think they both were good signings (and I said that), I also thought Wilson should be able to help if his 34 year old legs don't stop him. But the truth is this is basically the same - the same wasn't good enough. It wasn't good enough last year, the year before or the year before that. These guys (the secondary) are getting killed because of our lack of a pass rush - that has not been improved as of yet. We have managed our books so well that you would think we could of gotten one of these younger pass rushers that Seattle landed...or the defenseive lineman that Cleveland grabbed (that suppossedly we were interested in).

All I'm asking is for us to spend to the cap this year - don't leave 7 miilion off the books and say we are managing it for our future - the future is right now for this team and it's fading fast.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

in BB we trust