I guess Mthurl, TFB and myself arent the only ones wondering

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: I guess Mthurl, TFB and myself arent the only ones wondering

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Part of the disagreement on this thread comes down to people confusing two different things: (1) improving the team and (2) building the team. At the end of the season, 18 guys were free agents and possibly leaving.  We therefore had to partially rebuild the team just to stay even with what we were last year.  Improving the team is another thing altogether.  In the offseason you ideally want to rebuild and also improve.  So far, our offseason moves have helped us significantly in the rebuilding objective and only marginally in the improving objective.  There's still quite a way to go in both rebuilding and improving, but we've made decent progress on the rebuilding front and a little progress on the improving front.  Of course, certain positions like OL and WR are still far from rebuilt, never mind improved. 

Well honestly probably the biggest improvement should come from three things (or people) Jones, Hightower and Wilson. If these three can improve like they're supposed to, then we'll see improvement. The problem in the past has been that guys in that position before, didn't...Chung, Merriweather, Maroney, Dowling, Butler, Wheatly, McCourty (took a huge step back his second year), Price, Cunningham, Brace...these things hurt the improvement catergory of team building. It makes it so you have to go out and get free agents to fill in for the guys who are draft failures. And when those free agents fail (Haynesworth, Springs, Fred Taylor, Ocho, Stallworth , Gaffney, Gregory, Gallery, Shaun Ellis, Fenene) it really begins to hurt. And when the good ones you DO sign are gone after one season (Carter, Waters, Lloyd), it hurts even more because you have to replace all these guys. What you end up with is a team that relays on their quarterback way too much - and that quarterback relays on the safest bet on the field (Welker) to keep the offense ahaed of it's defense. Now that that is gone??? Who knows?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think it's way too early to tell.  You really can't look at predraft free agency in isolation from the whole team building activity that takes place through the preseason and includes the draft, undrafted rookie free agency, and the various rounds of free agency (predraft, postdraft, during camp and preseason, and at cutdown time). 

To date, I'd look at the Pats units as follows:

QB: no change made but no significant change needed (I'm evaluating talent here--there has been a beneficial change in the cap cost of this position, which is important, but not what I'm addressing now.)

OL:  so far has declined with Vollmer unsigned and Thomas gone; I expect more moves here.

RB: Think unit is improved, with greater experience of Ridley, Vereen, and Bolden.  Demps (if he's  back), Washington, and Fiametta all outweigh loss of Woodhead I think.  Think this unit is okay as is, but we may see some guys brought in for camp competition.

TE: Strong unit gets stronger with Ballard.

WR: a weak unit has gotten worse, but I expect a lot more to be done here.  Amendola gives us a reasonable alternatve to Welker, but the rest of the unit is still questionable.

DL: Marginal improvements with Armstead--still have work to do

LB--no significant change. Could get by as is, but would like an edge player who can cover and maybe pass rush

DB: Solidified corner position and added quality depth at safety.  Would like another good corner and maybe a safety, but overall progress has been made.

ST: have better kick returner with Washington and maybe Demps; may need punt returner if Edelman isn't signed; coverage units remain strong.

So far, I see good progress in the secondary (though some way still to go).  This and some improvements in special teams seem to be the main positives.  Receiver, O line, and D line remain areas where much more progress is needed, though we've had a few moves in those areas. Other units are generally in good shape, though one good coverage LB would be nice.

excellant analysis. agree 100%, except I hope WIlson at 34years old is as god as eveyone thinks he is...

I don't believe that anyone thinks that Wilson has to be superman at 34.  He just needs to be in position and do his job, whatever that may be. The safety position over the last couple of seasons has been horrendous because of players missing tackles, taking bad angles, and just being out of position to make the play. Players like Merriweather and Chung were willing to mix it up, but always seemed to be a half step late. I think fans believe that Wilson if nothing else is solid fundamentally and should make most plays that we're question marks in the past. Stability is a good thing for this team. I'd love to see another CB and a coverage LB like everyone else on the board. If the Pats cans shore up the D's depth I believe they have a good team. History has shown that TB is going to get his stats regardless of the offensive weapons( or lack of). If the D can stop teams in crucial situations, I see a deep playoff run in the near future. Go Pats. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

This is microanalysis at it's finest. What is the point, at this point? My grade, as always at this point, is incomplete. I'll give my grade at the end of the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I'm an easy grader though. Last year, finishing 4th, I gave them an A.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

If you were giving a grade on the Patriots' free-agent activity to this point, what would it be?

The question came to mind after reading a team-by-team breakdown by Nate Davis of USA Today, in which the Patriots were viewed as one of the league's big losers based on the present snapshot. Davis gives the Patriots a D-plus.

"The jury is out on what amounts to a free agent swap of Welker for younger but less durable Danny Amendola, and no one will be watching more closely than QB Tom Brady with his new cap-friendly deal. CB Aqib Talib is back, and maybe S Adrian Wilson is the next coming of Rodney Harrison. And there appear to be several more irons currently in the fire, so this grade may soon require revision. But the receiving corps looks weaker without Welker and Brandon Lloyd, and you have to wonder what the Patriots see in Donald Jones that the Bills didn't. And whither right tackle Sebastian Vollmer?"

In Davis' view, only the Redskins and Bengals are graded lower at this point.

This is a theme that also surfaced in our weekly ESPNBoston chat on Thursday, with some chatters disappointed in the Patriots' moves at this point. Clearly, Wes Welker's defection is a big part of the mindset.

A few counterpoints were brought up in the chat: "It's an incomplete picture. ... If we look at some of the most successful teams in the NFL over the years, this is a time they use to complement their core, not create it ... The re-signing of Talib was critical ... Scott Pioli notes that they don't give out a trophy for spending the most money, or spending it the fastest; it's about spending smartly."

And the Bengals came out low in FA because they've done so well in the draft lately they haven't NEEDED fa's as much. So they're kind of an asterisk. As for the Pats, I agree, it's been a weak spring. But my opinion is that they aren't done with the wr's. Surely to goodness they COULDN'T be with the state things are in now?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

As of right now the Patriots have not improved since last season.  I don't like a couple of their moves as of now but I do continue to hope and think that BB has something in store for the receiver position.  I would have liked to see a different person signed other then Wilson, one who will play all downs, I don't think Wilson will.  I think they should have kept Lloyd instead of bringing in Jones.  Lloyd had a pretty good season to build of last year.  So right now they have Jones, Amendola, Gronk, AH81 all who have been out due to injuries the past two years.  It worries me.  As we have seen in the past, one man down in those positions has hurt the offense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Not anti-Belichick bias? Let's look at the pass he gives to Ozzie Newsome:

"Baltimore Ravens (B): The myriad losses must be weighed against the mandate to re-sign Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco. Yet the departures of WR Anquan Boldin and ILB Dannell Ellerbe — which could hurt more than Ray Lewis' retirement — have to sting, and it's hard to believe FS Ed Reed is still in play. But let's look forward to hindsight, when GM Ozzie Newsome almost never has egg on his face."

So Ozzie never has egg on his face but Belichick is falling apart at the seams... hypocrisy?

no Ozzie's team just raised the Lombardi something Bellichick hasn't done in nearly a decade-and he beat the pats on the way to doing it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

you're on the anti BB non sense as well? Must be Goodell is fixing the free agency process to work against the Pats because of Spygate...

heres a guy writing for USA Today with no ax to grind who speculates what the Pats have done isnt so great, just like I see it, yet I am dumb and a Jets troll rather than a die hard Pats fan who cares what they do in free agency, but this guy is simply anti BB?

People hate a winner, especially a dynasty style winner who doesn't have a drop off.  I can't say I'm above it, I hated the Dallas Cowboys in the 90's, can't stand the Miami Heat now, but I won't pretend it isn't there. A lot of these reporters don't like Belichick, don't like his dry monotone answers, they aren't sound bytes. 

If anything the Pat's should have been like a few other teams on his list that received an (I) for incomplete, especially considering how much money and room to maneuver they still have available... but he chose to give the Pat's a D?

I contend that it is impossible to be both a smashing success and also be a failure like some posters here insist.  You don't win by accident in the NFL, you don't blindly stumble into victories. 

If Brady is the answer, than explain how in 2002 with Tom Brady, a year removed from winning the Super Bowl they finished 9-7, yet went 11-5 with Matt Cassel in 2008?

when Brady goes welcome to 9 wins a year Muz?

when that time comes then i guess we will see- as i have said and continue to say-how good a gm bellichick is and how well kraft's "conservative" approach (that's the kind way to say it) actually works

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

If you were giving a grade on the Patriots' free-agent activity to this point, what would it be?

The question came to mind after reading a team-by-team breakdown by Nate Davis of USA Today, in which the Patriots were viewed as one of the league's big losers based on the present snapshot. Davis gives the Patriots a D-plus.

"The jury is out on what amounts to a free agent swap of Welker for younger but less durable Danny Amendola, and no one will be watching more closely than QB Tom Brady with his new cap-friendly deal. CB Aqib Talib is back, and maybe S Adrian Wilson is the next coming of Rodney Harrison. And there appear to be several more irons currently in the fire, so this grade may soon require revision. But the receiving corps looks weaker without Welker and Brandon Lloyd, and you have to wonder what the Patriots see in Donald Jones that the Bills didn't. And whither right tackle Sebastian Vollmer?"

In Davis' view, only the Redskins and Bengals are graded lower at this point.

This is a theme that also surfaced in our weekly ESPNBoston chat on Thursday, with some chatters disappointed in the Patriots' moves at this point. Clearly, Wes Welker's defection is a big part of the mindset.

A few counterpoints were brought up in the chat: "It's an incomplete picture. ... If we look at some of the most successful teams in the NFL over the years, this is a time they use to complement their core, not create it ... The re-signing of Talib was critical ... Scott Pioli notes that they don't give out a trophy for spending the most money, or spending it the fastest; it's about spending smartly."

well only he gave Carolina and Houston Incompletes...he rates the Giants a B- but I dunno...i think i would grade them Incomplete myself

to be fair he did say the pats grade "may have to be revised soon"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well honestly probably the biggest improvement should come from three things (or people) Jones, Hightower and Wilson. If these three can improve like they're supposed to, then we'll see improvement. The problem in the past has been that guys in that position before, didn't...Chung, Merriweather, Maroney, Dowling, Butler, Wheatly, McCourty (took a huge step back his second year), Price, Cunningham, Brace...these things hurt the improvement catergory of team building. It makes it so you have to go out and get free agents to fill in for the guys who are draft failures. And when those free agents fail (Haynesworth, Springs, Fred Taylor, Ocho, Stallworth , Gaffney, Gregory, Gallery, Shaun Ellis, Fenene) it really begins to hurt. And when the good ones you DO sign are gone after one season (Carter, Waters, Lloyd), it hurts even more because you have to replace all these guys. What you end up with is a team that relays on their quarterback way too much - and that quarterback relays on the safest bet on the field (Welker) to keep the offense ahaed of it's defense. Now that that is gone??? Who knows?

You've got to hope that some of these guys develop as we all would like.  You're right, hurl, that we've been hurt by guys who just didn't develop.  I've done no rigourous study of how other teams do compared with the Pats, so I don't know if the Pats are really better or worse than any other team, but there are some fairly high draft picks that just haven't delivered much long term value.  

As I've said over and over, with a salary cap, you do have to worry about value, but ultimately, talent matters and sometimes there's a pretty big trade off between staying in good position relative to the cap and building a truly deep and talented team.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

no Ozzie's team just raised the Lombardi something Bellichick hasn't done in nearly a decade-and he beat the pats on the way to doing it

LMFAO what does that have to do with FA grades the next season?  Learn the game.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

"Baltimore Ravens (B): The myriad losses must be weighed against the mandate to re-sign Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco. Yet the departures of WR Anquan Boldin and ILB Dannell Ellerbe — which could hurt more than Ray Lewis' retirement — have to sting, and it's hard to believe FS Ed Reed is still in play. But let's look forward to hindsight, when GM Ozzie Newsome almost never has egg on his face."

So Ozzie never has egg on his face but Belichick is falling apart at the seams... hypocrisy?

Flacco threw 12 TDs and 0 INTs and Brady has sucked in his last 3 AFC title games at home. Ozzie did nothing. BB has no control over a QB that melts down with leads.

BB is the greatest coach in NFL history. Get over it. Everyone knows it. Even the media that hates him knows it. lol

No one really cares what the Giants or Ravens did. The only thing people care about is if Brady will ever perform well again in an AFC title game (and hopefully a SB).

well he has to be the only greatest head coach in NFL history that has no control over his own QB

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Flacco threw 12 TDs and 0 INTs and Brady has sucked in his last 3 AFC title games at home. Ozzie did nothing. BB has no control over a QB that melts down with leads.

BB is the greatest coach in NFL history. Get over it. Everyone knows it. Even the media that hates him knows it. lol

No one really cares what the Giants or Ravens did. The only thing people care about is if Brady will ever perform well again in an AFC title game (and hopefully a SB).

Flacco threw 11 TD's in the post season (not 12).  Liar!  And it took a defensive goal-line stand and a pick and a ST, Td for him to win.

Imagine what TB could have done with a game ending goal-line stand and a pick and a ST, TD.    Wait!  Didn't he actually have some of those in the SB's and play-off games he won? 

WOW!  What a concept?  What a revelation? 

We are still waiting for that to happen.  Tick tock tick tock!  8 years later? 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

STOP the Lies and STOP the BS!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

Flacco threw 11 TD's in the post season (not 12).  Liar!  And it took a defensive goal-line stand and a pick and a ST, Td for him to win.

Imagine what TB could have done with a game ending goal-line stand and a pick and a ST, TD.    Wait!  Didn't he actually have some of those in the SB's and play-off games he won? 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

you talk about goal line stands, which are great and all....but the ravens allowed 31 points! it wouldnt matter what the pats defense did if they allowed 31 points because the game would already be out of reach for our 13, 14, and 17 point scoring offense to recover from. when the offense wakes up in the playoffs and stops crapping their pants, then they might be able to hold up the lombardi, until then it wont happen. blaming the defense to cover up the offenses ineptitude is just dumb. something a giants fan/troll would do, hmmmm....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

you talk about goal line stands, which are great and all....but the ravens allowed 31 points! it wouldnt matter what the pats defense did if they allowed 31 points because the game would already be out of reach for our 13, 14, and 17 point scoring offense to recover from. when the offense wakes up in the playoffs and stops crapping their pants, then they might be able to hold up the lombardi, until then it wont happen. blaming the defense to cover up the offenses ineptitude is just dumb. something a giants fan/troll would do, hmmmm....

Wrong!  The Ravens D allowed 29 points and gave them a safety,  They also did that in 13

drives.  How many points did flacco score in his first 8 drives with no pick and no ST, TD?

The answer is 14.  Yup, ********14*********  Flacco's D was getting off the field in 2 1/2 minutes per drive, not 4:45.   DING DING DING!

Give TB 13 drives, a pick  and a st, TD ( all things being =) and we can compare scores.  Assuming the D doesn't give up 40 which that certainly would have with the extra 5 drives @ a 50% scoring clip.

Otherwise its apples to oranges. 

AND....... Giants fans love our D.  Right Jints?  Pat's fans, not so much.

Are you  really a Pat's fan, rusty?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

hey russ

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wrong!  The Ravens D allowed 29 points and gave them a safety,  They also did that in 13

drives.  How many points did flacco score in his first 8 drives with no pick and no ST, TD?

The answer is 14.  Yup, ********14*********  Flacco's D was getting off the field in 2 1/2 minutes per drive, not 4:45.   DING DING DING!

Give TB 13 drives, a pick  and a st, TD ( all things being =) and we can compare scores.  Assuming the D doesn't give up 40 which that certainly would have with the extra 5 drives @ a 50% scoring clip.

Otherwise its apples to oranges. 

AND....... Giants fans love our D.  Right Jints?  Pat's fans, not so much.

Are you  really a Pat's fan, rusty?

;  )

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

sure, the giants fans love our defense, they must REALLY love our offense then....gave them two rings. and #83 played a part in that as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

sure, the giants fans love our defense, they must REALLY love our offense then....gave them two rings. and #83 played a part in that as well.

u didn't "give" the giants anything

but no we like ur D better believe me-ur offense left both sb with the lead

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Are you Matt Patricia's brother or something?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"but no we like ur D better believe me-ur offense left both sb with the lead"

Actually according to some that was Brady's fault. :) 

"u didn't "give" the giants anything"

Rarely agree with Jints but agree with that. Giants beat us, dominate line of scrimmage first time around and made the key plays the next time. 

As for the Pats offseason, I'm in the "incomplete" camp, but man, what a crummy and slanted articlet that was overall. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

is this Rusty using another handle? must be. any dope that wants to know what Tampa didnt see in Talib is simply that, a dope.

So some one expresses an opinion is a tool?

Do me a favor Rusty, put me on ignore....and take that creepy avatar down ya creep!

[/QUOTE]

No Karpy this is not Rusty. I have ignored you and Rustys verbal battles for the longest times, not wanting to waste my time on such juvenile drivel. However, after reading every one of your posts for the last few weeks it has occurred to me, Rusty is right! You are a miserable troll! The sky is falling!! The Pats havent done enough! You are probably one of the folks ready to jump off a building wehn BB drafted Richard Seymour and not David Terrell! Like the other poster said, if the Pats make you so miserable, choose another team to pull for!

25. This post has been removed.