i guess no news is good news

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i guess no news is good news

no word on anything refering to manny lawson and matt roth. which is good because BB normally keeps things close to his vest. and there is no word from other teams that they were signed.  here's hoping something has been worked out with them both. especially after TBC was cut we need a pass rusher or 2 even more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: i guess no news is good news

I'm with you man... plus I like this thread as there is no trolling yet.  I took this time to relax and think about what could go down and hope for the best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yep, no news on either is good news and only gets better the closer you get to Fri.

Same with Sims-Walker and Floyd

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Who you like better?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think Roth fits the system better and I've always liked Floyd's game. Floyd is a massive WR who has some speed. Hard to beat that with the right QB

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: i guess no news is good news:
    [QUOTE]For WR's I would rather we get Sims-Walker over Floyd and for OLB's I would rather we get....tough call....I like Lawson more but think Roth is the better fit so I will say Roth.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Floyd averaged 19.3 yards a catch last year, while Sims has never surpassed 13, which is good in his own right.  I think having Floyd with our TE's makes the Pats an amazing Red Zone machine. 

What do you like about Sims?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I hear ya, either way is a win win, but I believe Price may have Sims qualities.  I really like Floyd's beastly 6'5 frame as PatsEng said.  I think he really brings the deep threat element in its purest form.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The team went 14-2 last season.  We don't need to sign anyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Floyd ran a 4.41 40 he's not a slow guy. He's not a burner but he's faster then the average WR and with his height can out jump any cb's fast enough to keep up with him (ala Moss when he actually jumped for balls). he'd be a deep threat much like Moss was except he will go over the middle and won't always make the circus catches Moss use to make

But Sims-Walker does bring in some characteristics Floyd doesn't have (ie shaper cuts and route running) so I can see where you like him more

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]The team went 14-2 last season.  We don't need to sign anyone.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Actually, we DO need to. Owners need to spend 99% of the cap and we have cap room. So that money is going to be spent on players to help make this team better. Yes, 14-2 with room to improve in the offseason seems strange, but its called Cap Management.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yes you and I know we don't need to sign anyone but most of the talk on here is about how we need to sign some guy named Roth or we have no pass rush.  And that is balogna.  The pass rush is fine. 

And we will get up to the salary cap by adding or retaining quality team players, not by adding another round of Moss's and AD's. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Yes you and I know we don't need to sign anyone but most of the talk on here is about how we need to sign some guy named Roth or we have no pass rush.  And that is balogna.  The pass rush is fine.  And we will get up to the salary cap by adding or retaining quality team players, not by adding another round of Moss's and AD's. 

We ranked 32nd in the league on third downs, 30th in the league for average time QB's had to throw, and 30th in the league in pressures/sacks. We also just released the guy with the most sacks in the last 2 seasons. You don't think we need to improve the pass rush?

Ohh yeah BTW currently we only have 3 OLB's under contract that aren't rooks.

Let me ask you these questions Mighty

#1 - Did we win the SB last year. If the answer is no then there is always room for improvement.

#2 - Do we have cap space to upgrade certian positions which we were weaker last year. If the answer is yes then why not spend the cap space on FA's with would be upgrades over players they would replace?

No one who is a regular on the board is suggesting a top name player most are suggesting cog type of players. Roth has been compared to Vrable and Johnson and won't command a huge salary (think TBC type of contract). Would you turn that down if he can improve a position of weakness? Floyd and Sims-Walker are both considered mid-tier WR's who will command in the $3-6mil range. Both will give the Pats deep threat options but neither were considered #1 WR's more like starting WR's with specific roles. Both would improve the WR core from last year and cost minimal but you wouldn't sign them to improve the team either?

I forget who this quote was from but "Those who do not try to improve while the world moves forward are doomed to failure in the end"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I'm just saying every year this board has wet dreams about free agents and they never come to pass.  Now I've never heard of Roth or Floyd or Sims-Welker so maybe they are not super stars in which case I am fine getting them.  Just don't be upset if we don't acquire any of these guys.  BB knows how to improve his team and it is not by throwing money at free agent talent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Patriots moves are never let out until they happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I'm just saying every year this board has wet dreams about free agents and they never come to pass.  Now I've never heard of Roth or Floyd or Sims-Welker so maybe they are not super stars in which case I am fine getting them.  Just don't be upset if we don't acquire any of these guys.  BB knows how to improve his team and it is not by throwing money at free agent talent.

I wouldn't be upset if we didn't get them but these are the types of players we use to get from 99-06 before the big spending sprees which you refer. If you read up on these guys you would understand that these are the players we should be targeting because of the fit to the team regardless of they status in the league. Before you just toss them under the bus look them up a little to see why we are talking about them, that doesn't mean you have to get your hopes up if they don't come but at least find out why we are talking about them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Mankins was priority #1 and OL is priority #2. So until the Light situation plays out, Pats need to spend money wisely in the right place. I assume if Light walks another OL will be signed.
    Money will be freed up once a Kaczur decision is made and if Mankins is renegotiated to lower his $10 mil hit this year.
    If Light signs, is Alge a potential cut? If Light walks and Solder is forced into action, Does BB play Alge beside Solder to chip/help? 
    Until those things happen, cant do much.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Mankins was priority #1 and OL is priority #2. So until the Light situation plays out, Pats need to spend money wisely in the right place. I assume if Light walks another OL will be signed. Money will be freed up once a Kaczur decision is made and if Mankins is renegotiated to lower his $10 mil hit this year. If Light signs, is Alge a potential cut? If Light walks and Solder is forced into action, Does BB play Alge beside Solder to chip/help?  Until those things happen, cant do much.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

A lot of experts (coaches in the league) think Solder can start day 1 even with a shorten pre-season. Even if he struggles you can move Vollmer over so really you just need a backup versitile T which you can find on the market. What it would take on Light is better spent in other areas imo.

Alge is going to stick around in my mind because what he is owed in minor compared to what he can do for Gronk, Hernandez, and Smith. What he did for their progress last year was huge and 1 more year can only get better. Well worth what he's being paid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

They are going to let the market settle and then sign vets who can come in a help....like always..this team is pretty set as is w/ a few tweaks
    60maxpowero.com

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]  The pass rush is fine. 

What? tell me that is a typo and that you really didn't write that, let alone think that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I hope you guys are right...

Seems like a big jump to think just because some guys aren't being mentioned means they might be coming to the Pats...

I get the reasoning though...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]I'm just saying every year this board has wet dreams about free agents and they never come to pass.  Now I've never heard of Roth or Floyd or Sims-Welker so maybe they are not super stars in which case I am fine getting them.  Just don't be upset if we don't acquire any of these guys.  BB knows how to improve his team and it is not by throwing money at free agent talent.

If you haven't heard of these guys then obviously you aren't much of a football fan. Floyd was great last year for San Diego in replacing Jackson as the number 1 and Sims-Walker has freakish talent but very inconsistent. He has had games where he puts up 10 catches, 220 yards and 3 TD's and then the next week he's back to 2 catches and 20 yards. That could be due to inconsistent Quarterback play by Garrard but these 2 are gifted receievers.