I hate it when the refs decide the outcome of a game.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I hate it when the refs decide the outcome of a game.

they sure gave the game to the saints on the final bad call,and the fumble that wasnt called.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

Re: I hate it when the refs decide the outcome of a game.

absolutely ridiculous calls. I'm wondering why I buy season tickets at this point given the awful refereeing and the obvious biases in the league. It's getting silly to hear the league talk about the integrity of the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

Yeah, that was really bad at the end.  It was almost like they wanted the game to be over and so they were simply going to appoint a winner by making the necessary calls.  I have to say though that the Vikings hardly deserved to win with all the turnovers they committed.  They must have greased the football or something.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

they do.im sorry about what happened to new orleans and katrina.but no reason to give them the edge in a game.yes the vikes had there chances.it was a great game until the end with the bad call and no call.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Yep. Refs were the factor in Saints winning in overtime. (and I wanted them to win but not like that) The league really needs to deal with this. Watch the film Roger and hold refs accountable. (fines?)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Guys...what bad calls are you referring to?

The Vikings were the better of these two teams...and I was rooting for them, because I thought that they would have a chance to beat the Colts. That said, they have no one but themselves to blame for this loss. So many turnovers!! Their OL was terrible...as they allowed Brett Farve to take perhaps the worst beating of his career. 

As for Farve, he's one tough son of a gun. He played a great game, save for that horrible interception he threw at the end of regulation. Like the one he threw in the OT game to the Giants in 2007, it will haunt him. What an unfortunate end for such a great player.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

texas- the pass interfearence call that was way over the head of the saint receiver.no way he could have caught the ball regardless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

bogus PI and very, very questionable catch at the end (it looked like it was trapped in the review).

I agree with simroy, the number of PI calls in the SB may be off the charts. Count on the Colts getting the lion share

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tag. Show tag's posts

Look no further than the last PI call on a ball that was clealy over the head of the receiver.  Puts the Saints right back in field goal range - ballgame.

PI calls have been a joke all year, but when a call decides the conference championship, there's a serious problem.

I'm glad New Orleans won and am happy for Saints fans - but at least give the Viking a fair shot to win in the OT.

Of course, if Favre doesn't throw the dumb pic at the end of regulation, I'm not posting here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Tex- Overtime was a cringe fest with questionable calls. PI against Vikings when ball was clearly overthrown everyone's head.  Fumble not called. Questionable first down with just a jump up and pig pile.

Agree Vikings did themselves no favors with 5 turnovers and that nasty Favre interception.

Yes, Favre was brutalized and should have had a roughing the passer call in his favor at least once when he was taken down at his knees.
    Towards the end of regulation and through overtime- I thought the refs got more wrong than right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tag. Show tag's posts

Sam Adams -  the NFL has created a rule on hitting the QB that the refs are not capable of calling correctly.  Just like everything else, the calls are brutally inconsistent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I tend to agree - that pass interference call was absurd.  Thomas was clearly tripping over his own feet and #51 barely touched him.

I also thought the spot on the Pierre Thomas leap was EXTREMELY generous.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I don't think the Vikings would have the best chance at beating the Colts because of turnovers.

The Vikings turned the ball over FIVE times.

I don't trust the Saints' tackles, who couldn't stop anyone on the Vikings from getting to Brees in 0.002 seconds, to stop Freeney and Mathis.  I also might have enjoyed watching Jared Allen run roughshod over Manning (along with the Williamses and Ray Edwards).

Oh well.  My intuition says that this is the Saints' year.  They're too much of a feel good story and (like Bill Simmons said) everybody who isn't from greater Indianapolis or betting on the Colts will be cheering for the Saints who might also get coveted underdog status.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Saints have the underdog status.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

First off, the Vikes can only blame themselves - they were lucky they recovered as many fumbled as they did. 

Second, I want the Colts to lose and I think the Saints have a better shot. 

Third: "I'm wondering why I buy season tickets at this point given the awful refereeing and the obvious biases in the league"

Awful refereeing - to a point, but I think the real problem is the pass interference rule. Something needs to be done here - limit the penalty to ten years, make it reviewable, etc. 

But as for "obvious biases," surely you don't believe that there was an NFL league bias against the vikings? The NFL and the networks were creaming for a Favre-Manning Super Bowl. 

Having said that, too bad a great game was marred by this at the end. But the Saints deserved the win.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

There were a lot of missed calls, but this doesn't exactly support the theory pushed around here that the NFL fixes games for its' marquee QB's (Manning).  Wouldn't the NFL want Manning v. Favre?  Shouldn't the hall of fame QB get the blatant roughing the passer call that wasn't made?

If anything, you all should be able to sleep easy knowing now that a different HOF QB got shafted this game, and that it's just plain bad, unbiased officiating that hurts every team in this league.

Let's Geax Saints!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

At first all I heard was how the NFL was trying to set up 2 undefeated teams in the SB for a ratings gold mine.  Then I heard how the NFL wants to have a Manning-Favre bowl, and now it looks like the refs had something else in mind.  

The last series was "odd", but all teams can say they've had such calls go their way from time to time, especially at home.  I'm just glad Polian is not the GM for the Saints.  I could just imagine the 20 threads started on it...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

tag and ALL:

"Sam Adams -  the NFL has created a rule on hitting the QB that the refs are not capable of calling correctly.  Just like everything else, the calls are brutally inconsistent."

~Extremely well-drawn conclusion I very much agree with tag...  Not only for hitting QBs, but also and especially Pass Interference is simply far too subjectively interpretated ref to ref, game to game, and team to team (except some teams, certain teams...err team always know where they stand).  Yet, Not the point, and specific teams are NOT the overall problem.  QB hits, PIs, even certain things like helmet-helmet hits and late hits can and should be added to your concerns RE: Consistancy of NFL Officiating, If not simply because of the great interpretative difference in how they're called game to game, then at least due to the far greater volume in these calls as of very recently.

Although...I see no great solution.  It's in the NFL's best interest to not only protect their star-players but to do their most to stop someone from ending up in a wheelchair.  And I'm not singling out certain stars, but simply positions of unreal importance-not very many NFL even average-caliber QBs, even decent RBs and talented WRs aren't amassed. 

BUT, this does NOTHING to excuse a few certain Game-Determining League shortcomings on specific penalties...  NOT simply the obvious and widely subjective Pass Interference calls.  These are far from solely injury-based factors like low QB hits or high-hits.  The reasons really ARE "SKETCHY AT BEST" pertaining as to WHY there cannot be "Blatant PIs" for large gains/gains of the spotted foul and an automatic 1st down VERSES "Minor PIs" for 5-10 yards with simply a repeat on downs.  And/Or, more of "SKETCHY AT BEST" regarding as to why in the mere least, These far too massive gains from largely interpretative PIs are NOT reviewable...automatic reviews or simply challengeable, nothing. 

~And mind you ALL, You as well as I can NOT and should NOT buy into the "Pace-of-the-Game" Garbage for such subjective and game-changing calls.  Likewise, NOR could or should one buy into the "High-Scoring Games make for Better Ratings" Argument, rather than believing that the interests of a selfish few in charge of ALL these rules play the greater influence over and instead of making the specific calls accurately, or more accurately and equally judging the penalties/nonpenalties for team-team, player-player, and game-game.   

~Seriously, I know fining or even rewarding NFL Officials is darn near heresy and I'm not suggesting the league change ANYthing about any outcomes or he!!-send letters of apology to the teams/players of bad calls (no doubt, included with a corresponding box of chocolates and lighthearted poem-"Sorry 'bout the non-call of the other team's horse-collar tackle, but don't worry over these delicious bon-bons made from the udder of some lactating cattle")...But dear LORD, WHY bother even making those officials responsible for their overall job-output for their game-time decisions, by reviewing their calls after-the-fact by some small yet independant committee.  Not sure, but simply gotta conclude what many of you must have-The NFL doesn't make enough money in this bad economy and runs such a taut line that they can ill afford perks like candy...or a single pawn-shop VCR with a melted pause-button from 1983.

Thoughts ANYONE?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Laz, are you saying Go Saints?
    btw- thanks for the Ft Myers info, had a great time except for the game."

SAThought about you lovin' a little vaca and N.E. Winter reprieve and actually wondered if you ended up meeting the fellow BDC alum if you went to the bar for the big game (although, I forget which regular who said they were living down around there)...  Luckily, Hasn't been bad up here though...really gotta give credit where it's due: Large planetary ecosystem collapse and future mass extinction of specie, thanks to carbon emissions...if god constructed earth he really didn't think it too good, so humans needed to remodel his shoddy work.  

~But, You are very much welcome, hope you and your wife had fun (except the poor playoff showing by our team).  RE: My previous post...yea, pretty much the hidden agenda read as, "Stup!d colts making the stup!d superbowl, I better not hear of any 'team of the decade' talk after seeing them lift the lomabardi 2 1/2 minutes after a 73 yard PI gives them the championship."  Also, I added a very nice poem on the previous post...the league should take notice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

The farvre int was not that bad. that was the last chance they had to get the field goal at a manageable distance so he tried to force it in there. i don't understand why people dont get that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

The ref's didn't tell the Vikings to have 12 guys in the huddle, nor did they tell Favre to thow an INT when he could have picked up 5-10 by running towards the sideline.  Vikings played incredibly stupid when it mattered most.  5 turnovers.  They beat themselves.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I agree the PI call was BS, but unless they make those reviewable this will never change. While we watch from a much higher angle (not to mention numerous replays), the refs only see what's in their line of sight. I was also shocked that there was no flag when Favre was hit low and high at the same time. Had that been Peyton Manning...well, we all know what would have happened! But most of the calls went against the Saints, at least through the first three quarters. What really surprised me was the lack of flags in Indy. I expected them to be flying everywhere. Of course, they didn't need them to beat the Jests! But as for the Vikings, they have nobody to blame but themselves. You simply cannot cough the ball up five times and win a game of this magnitude. And three of those turnovers happened when they were inside the 20! Had they managed to hold onto the ball they would have won by at least two TDs! Favre did make that bonehead throw, but after how bad he was smacked around you can hardly blame him for not wanting to run the ball! The SB will be a shootout this year. I just hope the Saints can hit Manning like they did to Favre last night! Now since Minnesota lost we'll have to go through the Favre BS all over again. He'll be thinking they have another chance to make it next year and will drag out his "retirement" once more! Had he been able to win the SB at least he might have had the sense to retire on top, like Elway, Bettis, and Strahan did!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Thats why many people say college football is a better game....10 yards penalty for PI, and an overtime format where both teams get the ball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Moss...you stated:

"texas- the pass interfearence call that was way over the head of the saint receiver.no way he could have caught the ball regardless."

Sorry guys, I missed that play! I answered a phone call...and missed how the Saints got into FG range. You-all are right...it was a bad call.

The officiated crew in this game was led by Pete Morelli...the same Pete Morelli who tried in vain to hand the Colts a win in their 2005 AFC title game in Indy. 

PI is a joke...as are the hitting the QB low penalties. Brett Farve was hit low when he injured his ankle, but no call. What do you think would have happened if Peyton Manning was submarined in a similar fashion?

The criteria for PI and the QB penalties need to modified, and made more clear. Currently, the subjective nature of the fouls allow referees to selectively make too many game changing calls. 

But, with Bill Polian in charge of the Rules Committee, don't expect changes any time soon. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Yes the low hit should have been called ,the legal hit before it should NOT have been , he took Farve down in the midsection, and did not slam him to the ground.

I don't think the Saints cared about getting the penalties, they wanted to harass, hurt Farve to get him off his game. That's what they will attempt to do to Manning, and be willing to take some penaties.

Sections
Shortcuts