I HATE THE PREVENT DEFENSE!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I HATE THE PREVENT DEFENSE!

Why can't they play like it's a tight game? Why let a team come down and score just like the Chargers game?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: I HATE THE PREVENT DEFENSE!

Well the point of the prevent defense, as crazy as it sounds, is not to prevent the other team from scoring but to prevent a quick score and hopefully make them chew up their own clock. When you're up by more the 3 touches in the 4th it's actually a solid plan, well that's provided that the O can maintain at least 1 long drive taking a 1/3 or more of the clock off the board

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

reall good it did there.. it chewed up what? like 2 minutes 30 seconds

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

it its not working....arghhh

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

You and every fan of every NFL team which has a big 4th quarter lead.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

We did the same thing against Big Ben and the Steelers.  I hate it too and it allows too many easy and fast scores.  All good teams have effective 2 min drills and this passive D plays right into it.  BB and Co should put this plan away.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

What is the Patriots' record when they use the prevent defense this year?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I don't like to see the other team score however given the experience level of this D, I don't think it's a bad tactic.  Once the D comes together I suspect you won't see it give up quite so many points.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Prof, I just believe D is meant to be played aggressive, all out.  The name of the game in the NFL is "pass the ball and get the call", and I think ruch the QB, and hitting receivers at the line, and man up coverage is the way to go.  Also, there is the idea that you can build confidence in a young defense like the Pats by playing a consistent four quarter game - not get them metally accustomed to repeatedly giving up two or more scores at the end of the contest.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Laz, with all due respect, you're a knowledgeable, articulate poster, but I can't read your posts; there is simply too much there for my limited intellect.  Please consider this feedback from but a humble Pats fan.

And I must admit I was uncomfortable with the D in the 4th.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

Take the opposition by the throat and choke the life out of them.  Playing the clock is losing football.

Example: Houston vs. NYJ today.  Should have played to score a TD and not safe and for a 4 point lead.  They had momentum after being down 23-7.  

LOSING Football!!!

And now we have to here more fawning over the cardiac kids of NYJ.  Grrrrrrr!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Until Sanders pick, I thought this was deja vous all over again. We've seen it multiple times this season when the Pats are up, how they allow their opponents to creep back into the game. I don't know if it's the prevent D that Laz so eloquently details above, or perhaps the O not doing its job, extending drives and scoring. Perhaps both. 

I did notice in the 4th quarter last night, in particular before the Colts last drive, we seemed to fall in love with running the ball. The problem was we weren't gaining as much and went 3 and out. Why change the gameplan in these situations? Why not keep passing and trying to advance the ball and score. It seemed like the offensive playcalling when we get leads in the 4th reverts back to very vanilla, aimed at taking time off the clock, but not gaining yardage or putting points on the board...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

Amen to all above. Why cant BB just keep playing attack/decoy defense?

It is shortening my life span at the end of these games. My goodness. How many times do comebacks have to happen before we learn?

Or how about being in the prevent so many times we actually get BETTER at playing it? I'll take that too!!!! 

Whatever the solution I hope it comes soon. The good thing about being in the prevent and the ONLY good thing is that we apparently have the lead at that point!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

I wish the Texans HAD played the prevent defense yesterday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Do not confuse "prevent" defense with "matador" defense.

The Colts scored 14 points in something like three-and-a-half minutes in the fourth quarter yesterday.

Ole'

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The prevent only works if it actually prevents TDs from happening.  It almost always leaves some huge openings on the field and good QBs will rack up yardage against it. And inevitably score. I might argue that a prevent only makes sense when there's less than 2 minutes on clock. The problem is that we seem to be seeing prevents and soft zones when there is 6-8 minutes on the clock. Thus giving good teams with good QBs time to comeback.

What most are saying is right. If Brady & Co. go on a long time consuming drive that nets a TD in the 4th we aren't having this conversation about how much prevents and soft zones s--k.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Thanks Lazarus and JohnHannah; like both posts.  Was it just me, or did y'all see Dieon Branch interfered with on the last or second to last three-and-out by Pats?  On replay it was clear to me that Colt DB hit Branch well before ball reached him for catch attempt.  This would have been a first down; yet refs did not call it.  I think this was what Brady was remonstrating with zebra'a about at game end.

Also, I noted Big Vince getting clotherlined on a bull-rush up the middle on Peyton in second half - another no call by officials.  Jusy wonderin' Colts throw almost all the time, yet their OLine seems never to be called for holding - not just this game - any game.  Any thooughts?

Agree we still need to upgrade our DE OLB personnel to make D more effective late in the game and hope we do so through draft this coming year.  Did not understand the last offensive series by Pats - why have BJGE run two sweeps to opposite sides of field.  We have a strength, not speed advantage on Colts D, we should have gone up the middle or off tackle and bullied them straight ahead for the first down!

Great win though!

Sections
Shortcuts