I hope Ebner makes the cut

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

I hope Ebner makes the cut

Just watched the 2nd half replay. This kid is too good to let go out there in waiverville. If you throw more knowledge and experience he will be great.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: I hope Ebner makes the cut

Honestly I don't see how he doesn't.  I think he is going to be a core special teamer and the fourth or fifth option at safety.  Gregory, Chun, Wilson, Allen/Ebner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He will make it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm voting.... I mean cheering for the dude to make it.  When do they have to be down to the 53 man roster?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

The Pats two expected starters aren't the biggest guys and Chung isn't exactly the sturdiest either.

That leaves Tavon Wilson, James Ihedigbo, Sergio Brown, Barrett (Is he even still with the team?), Will Allen and Sterling Moore (both converted from CB).

They may NEED to keep this guy.  He already looks better than most of the above mentioned.

I know, that's not saying much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

YO TFB!

Saturday, Aug. 25
    -- players day off ... Bill Belichick conference call at 12:30 p.m.
    Sunday, Aug. 26 -- team walk-through practice
    Monday, Aug. 27 -- practice (only stretching open to reporters) ... roster to 75 players by 4 p.m. ...annual Charitable Foundation kickoff gala (6 p.m.)
    Tuesday, Aug. 28 -- travel to New Jersey for final preseason game
    Wednesday, Aug. 29 -- preseason finale vs. Giants (7 p.m.)
    Thursday, Aug. 30 -- Bill Belichick conference call at 4 p.m.
    Friday, Aug. 31 -- roster to 53 players by 9 p.m.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Ebner = lock.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Overrated and overhype, I don't know why everyone thinks this guys is the second coming of John Lynch, but he hasn't impressed me...at all. 

He's the 4th best safety on the team, so I think he deserves to make the squad ahead of the other guys, but I get really annoyed when people keep acting like he could actually press Chung and Gregory to start when he can't even compete with Wilson. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

ABSOLUTELY! PLUS DEMPS>WOODHEAD, and will make it over him as well! bb did a great job finding new guys who can play. bad news for retread jambronis like josh barrett and sergio brown or even will allen. marquis cole will make this team too. believe or not, i think one jessie holley may have a sleeper shot over a brand name. ebert will be cut but hopefully land on the practice squad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'm hoping that Dennard will make it. He's going to be a good player IMO. He won't make the practice squad, too good not to be picked up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Re: I hope Ebner makes the cut:
    Overrated and overhype, I don't know why everyone thinks this guys is the second coming of John Lynch, but he hasn't impressed me...at all.  He's the 4th best safety on the team, so I think he deserves to make the squad ahead of the other guys, but I get really annoyed when people keep acting like he could actually press Chung and Gregory to start when he can't even compete with Wilson. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

I agree with what you are saying 49, he has been a bit overhyped but what I see is a huge upside to him. It's tough to play in this league and he comes in having only played 3 snaps in college. While he's out there he looked decent, not great but decent. Give him some coaching, practice, and playing time and he's only going to get better, could be a very good player one day. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Overrated and overhype, I don't know why everyone thinks this guys is the second coming of John Lynch, but he hasn't impressed me...at all.  He's the 4th best safety on the team, so I think he deserves to make the squad ahead of the other guys, but I get really annoyed when people keep acting like he could actually press Chung and Gregory to start when he can't even compete with Wilson. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Have you actually watched the games and watch him in practice?  For someone who has only played special teams in college football this guy has caught on pretty quick.  He's not perfect by any means but he has loads of potential.  I'm saying right now he's one of the better TACKLERS on the team.  He gets that from his rugby.  Once he learns angles and coverage he could be a very good safety. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Re: I hope Ebner makes the cut : Have you actually watched the games and watch him in practice?  For someone who has only played special teams in college football this guy has caught on pretty quick.  He's not perfect by any means but he has loads of potential.  I'm saying right now he's one of the better TACKLERS on the team.  He gets that from his rugby.  Once he learns angles and coverage he could be a very good safety. 
    Posted by PatsNut5480

He already looks like an excellent tackler, that seems to be the most important skill to have as a rugby player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

I think Edelmen may be in trouble... he did nothing as a receiver last night and Demps can probably return punts and kickoffs. If they are counting on him if Welker leaves next year (I hope he doesn't), Edelmen is not the replacement. I know he played some defenxe and I know he does special teams, but I think that there is a real possbility he could be gone....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

YO TFB! Saturday, Aug. 25 -- players day off ... Bill Belichick conference call at 12:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 26 -- team walk-through practice Monday, Aug. 27 -- practice (only stretching open to reporters) ... roster to 75 players by 4 p.m. ...annual Charitable Foundation kickoff gala (6 p.m.) Tuesday, Aug. 28 -- travel to New Jersey for final preseason game Wednesday, Aug. 29 -- preseason finale vs. Giants (7 p.m.) Thursday, Aug. 30 -- Bill Belichick conference call at 4 p.m. Friday, Aug. 31 -- roster to 53 players by 9 p.m.
    Posted by Getzo

This is great!  Thanks for posting it Getzo!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Posted by 49Patriots

Curious as to why Ebner has not impressed you? Seems to be ahead way ahead of where he should be at this point.

Anyway I agree with you, he is not on the same level as Chung or Gregory. Safety is the qb of the secondary. That is not just a cliche. These guys need to be in the right position and keep other guys in the right position. Experience at the position is the key. "Doing your job" is most important for safeties and QB's.  This is why Chung is under rated on this team. Our defense is considerably better with Chung on the field.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Ebner is not the 2nd coming of Polamalu - but the guy has been fairly impressive for a rookie who played rugby...

Now...this could be his ceiling or we could just be scratching the surface. Several of us believe he is worth betting on..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I don't think its even in doubt. Before camp it was like, maybe this guy shows some potential and makes it to the practice squad or if he's really good as a special teamer. He's done that and more, showing that he can actually play out there with no previous experience other than 3 snaps at Ohio State.  Right now I see him as a solid tackler and a guy who wont make dumb mistakes out there. With more practice and coaching who knows, he could really be a player in this league.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: I hope Ebner makes the cut : I agree with what you are saying 49, he has been a bit overhyped but what I see is a huge upside to him. It's tough to play in this league and he comes in having only played 3 snaps in college. While he's out there he looked decent, not great but decent. Give him some coaching, practice, and playing time and he's only going to get better, could be a very good player one day. 
    Posted by sporter81

You miss understood me, I'm all for him making the team. I think he deserves it, I just don't like the hype for a player who has done nothing. It reminds me of Tebow--who I despise--and, a guy I used to tout a few years back, Shawn Crable. 

After Crable flopped, I learned a thing or two about players earning hype. It ticks me off now when people just overhype people. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: I hope Ebner makes the cut : You miss understood me, I'm all for him making the team. I think he deserves it, I just don't like the hype for a player who has done nothing. It reminds me of Tebow--who I despise--and, a guy I used to tout a few years back, Shawn Crable.  After Crable flopped, I learned a thing or two about players earning hype. It ticks me off now when people just overhype people. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

I sort of agree with you 49.  I've had kind of the same reaction when people talk about Cannon or Dennard or a number of other guys who haven't played much or played at all in real NFL games. I don't think you can get too up or too down about any player until you've seen them play in a few games against good talent.  Even preseason games can be misleading because the talent isn't always the best, the schemes are often vanilla, and even the good players aren't in midseason form.  

I do think Ebner will make the team though. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Re: I hope Ebner makes the cut : You miss understood me, I'm all for him making the team. I think he deserves it, I just don't like the hype for a player who has done nothing. It reminds me of Tebow--who I despise--and, a guy I used to tout a few years back, Shawn Crable.  After Crable flopped, I learned a thing or two about players earning hype. It ticks me off now when people just overhype people. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

I didn't mean for it to sound like that lol, I hear ya and agree with you on that. He has been good for someone who hasn't ever really played but probably not what some of the hype has been. I think that he will improve enough to live up to that hype but for now he's a 4th safety or so.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I have been very impressed with Ebner. He has great technique when it comes to tackling. He wraps up very well. Many DB's throw a shoulder in or just try to pop the ball carrier. This kid is way ahead of what people expected of him. He also has been in on a number of interceptions. many in practice and 1 last week against the eagles. This kid was a great rugby player, and he seems to bring that attitude on to the field.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I think he's worth it just for his Special Team's value.

But also there is just too much potential there to just let him go.

I get the impression that he has the smarts, instincts, athleticism and determination to be a good safety in the Nfl in time. 

The question is, are the Pats willing to give him the time and opportunities to learn the position well enough to contribute. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

The Pats two expected starters aren't the biggest guys and Chung isn't exactly the sturdiest either. That leaves Tavon Wilson, James Ihedigbo, Sergio Brown, Barrett (Is he even still with the team?), Will Allen and Sterling Moore (both converted from CB). They may NEED to keep this guy.  He already looks better than most of the above mentioned. I know, that's not saying much.
    Posted by Salcon

brown is still on the team? i think he goes before ebner does.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts