I just watched all the tape I could find on new RB James White and...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I just watched all the tape I could find on new RB James White and...

... I think he could potentially see the field very early.

I'll be honest, I was kinda "meh" about this pick when it came down... but after watching his tape, I really like his style of  play.

He's not an overly powerful kid, or a true homerun threat, but he consistently runs with good vision and patience, is elusive at the point with his north south/slashing style, he runs with good pad level and has that natural leverage, he has a solid build, despite being a smaller back (5-9 204)and is really developed in the lower half, he shows the ability to rip off chunk plays and has good play speed, he shows natural hands out of the backfield and could play on 1st, 2nd or 3rd downif he continues to develop in pass-pro (willing and able in that area)... though that's always something that young backs will always have to work on.

He also protects the football, with (2) fumbles in 754 career touches and reportedly is a solid kid off the field.

Overall, you have to love that he was ultra-productive, despite not being a full-time starter for his entire career (a lot of RB talent in Madison recently).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

Re: I just watched all the tape I could find on new RB James White and...

That's been my assessment of him as a Penn St fan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I like Gordon a little more from that backfield, but I think White will be a solid contributor for the Pats. Could be the KR we've been looking for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Thanks for the info MB. When I first saw the pick my thought was why not Gaffney from Stanford if you're going RB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Cyberknot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Gordon a little more from that backfield, but I think White will be a solid contributor for the Pats. Could be the KR we've been looking for.

[/QUOTE]

Gordon is certainly the bigger, more naturally gifted, higher profile player and potential Top 50 pick if he continues to develop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The ultra productive part MB I kind of put to the fact that he was in a rotation. You see it a lot with these types of backs that they are extremely effective in limited reps.

I think he could be a good #3 but don't think he'll be much more than that. 5-15 carries and 5-10 recs a game seems like a good amount for him.  

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The ultra productive part MB I kind of put to the fact that he was in a rotation. You see it a lot with these types of backs that they are extremely effective in limited reps.

I think he could be a good #3 but don't think he'll be much more than that. 5-15 carries and 5-10 recs a game seems like a good amount for him.  

[/QUOTE]

He still had the 25th most carries in the country (most carries on his team), which was good for the 14th most yardage.  He also had 39 catches... not sure how he can be dinged in any way for producing when he's on the field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll be honest, I was kinda "meh" about this pick when it came down... but after watching his tape, I really like his style of  play.

He's not an overly powerful kid, or a true homerun threat, but he consistently runs with good vision and patience, is elusive at the point with his north south/slashing style, he runs with good pad level and has that natural leverage, he has a solid build, despite being a smaller back (5-9 204)and is really developed in the lower half, he shows the ability to rip off chunk plays and has good play speed, he shows natural hands out of the backfield and could play on 1st, 2nd or 3rd downif he continues to develop in pass-pro (willing and able in that area)... though that's always something that young backs will always have to work on.

He also protects the football, with (2) fumbles in 754 career touches and reportedly is a solid kid off the field.

Overall, you have to love that he was ultra-productive, despite not being a full-time starter for his entire career (a lot of RB talent in Madison recently).

[/QUOTE]

I watched maybe half his tape that is available (plan on watching the rest later because I found it enjoyable). He looks like a decent player - he's got great vision, he looks pretty thick for a small guy, he breaks some tackles and he cuts very nicely. White does play behind a very good run blocking line, but when he had to, he squeezed through some tight spots to slither ahead for some really good gains. I think he runs with a better pad level and balance than the smaller back from Arizona...I wouldn't put him in Sankey's class, or Mason's, but for where we got him I like the pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Played against great teams and for a tough program week in and week out...their players always can lift a building and are usually in shape...glad they have a real pass catcher out of the backfield...I'm sure they'll grab a proirity FA at RB as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Played against great teams and for a tough program week in and week out...their players always can lift a building and are usually in shape...glad they have a real pass catcher out of the backfield...I'm sure they'll grab a proirity FA at RB as well.

Maybe a Rajion Neal from Tennessee or Stephen Houston from IU, if neither are drafted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If he gets 10 receptions a game you can make plans for his HOF induction...even 5 is 80 grabs. If he gets 10 to 15 touches a game, in that backfield, that would be just fine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If he gets 10 receptions a game you can make plans for his HOF induction...even 5 is 80 grabs. If he gets 10 to 15 touches a game, in that backfield, that would be just fine.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

obviously not every game but thinking more like Woodhead/Faulk type of work and I mis spoke didn't mean rec's but looks. My bad by that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Good observation, MB and others. Just watched some tape, and the kid looks very good.

Small frame aside, he's a very elusive runner with excellent vision, and follows his blocks very well.

When I compare him to the other "names" @RB, James White actually looks like a better runner.

I am now very happy with this pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I watched maybe half his tape that is available (plan on watching the rest later because I found it enjoyable). He looks like a decent player - he's got great vision, he looks pretty thick for a small guy, he breaks some tackles and he cuts very nicely. White does play behind a very good run blocking line, but when he had to, he squeezed through some tight spots to slither ahead for some really good gains. I think he runs with a better pad level and balance than the smaller back from Arizona...I wouldn't put him in Sankey's class, or Mason's, but for where we got him I like the pick.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Rusty, I thought you said I was just "jumping on the bandwagon" regarding White? It appears that I thought he was pretty good right after we drafted him - funny you said you were the first one on the James White bandwagon, yet you are nowhere to be found on this thread??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey Rusty, I thought you said I was just "jumping on the bandwagon" regarding White? It appears that I thought he was pretty good right after we drafted him - funny you said you were the first one on the James White bandwagon, yet you are nowhere to be found on this thread??

[/QUOTE]

Another reason I have him on ignore, he takes credit for the sun, sea and stars.... but only after the fact.  He is usually nowhere to be found leading up to the draft nor do I remember him "pulling out the game tape" for James White after he was drafted to show us all how good he is.  Though I do remember having White on Wozzy's Draft Guide for this draft in my runningback pool... but I never would have known without Russ telling us yesterday.  Laughable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He still had the 25th most carries in the country (most carries on his team), which was good for the 14th most yardage.  He also had 39 catches... not sure how he can be dinged in any way for producing when he's on the field.

[/QUOTE]

He can't be. When he has the opportunity he seems to make the most of it. But we are talking about him coming in and possibly being 3-4 in rb rotation. Can he surpass Vereen? Bolden? For carries/touches. If we employ the rb by committee style does he get the opportunity to do more than that? So I don't think its a question of talent but maybe pecking order.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He can't be. When he has the opportunity he seems to make the most of it. But we are talking about him coming in and possibly being 3-4 in rb rotation. Can he surpass Vereen? Bolden? For carries/touches. If we employ the rb by committee style does he get the opportunity to do more than that? So I don't think its a question of talent but maybe pecking order.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I could be wrong on this one (from my statements above after seeing him in camp) and would be very happy if I was but still think he will end up in the Vereen role long term which was an expanded Woodhead role prior and the Faulk role prior to that. Around 75-125 carries a year and 40-60 recs a year which for me would be a great return

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

In response to PatsEng's & PatsLifer's comments:

If we employ the rb by committee style does he get the opportunity to do more than that? So I don't think its a question of talent but maybe pecking order.

------------------------------------

So now BB has Vereen, White & Bolden who can all carry the rock inside & outside, pose a genuine threat in the passing game, and hold their own in pass protection ... this bodes well for maintaining fresh legs within each individual game as well as the availability of healthy, capable bodies throughout the season. I much prefer this approach to putting all of our eggs in one salary-cap-busting running back basket.

Seems to me that Ridley better improve his versatility or show ultra-productivity as a runner, if he is to obtain a significant number of touches within this offense before it's "pound the rock and bleed the clock" time. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I will bounce the draft day thread on white.  You basically mirror my exact comments.

The difference is, i didn't wait for ivan fears's opinion like you.

You simply cannot think for yourself which is a sign on insecurity and weakness.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

why would you say that Doug? Mthurl is an interesting poster here and adds a lot. no need to be so offensive

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to fanonymost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So now BB has Vereen, White & Bolden who can all carry the rock inside & outside, pose a genuine threat in the passing game, and hold their own in pass protection ... this bodes well for maintaining fresh legs within each individual game as well as the availability of healthy, capable bodies throughout the season. I much prefer this approach to putting all of our eggs in one salary-cap-busting running back basket.

Seems to me that Ridley better improve his versatility or show ultra-productivity as a runner, if he is to obtain a significant number of touches within this offense before it's "pound the rock and bleed the clock" time. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The thing is Ridley is a different style of runner than the others. In a committee system this gives Ridley versatility. I agree he needs to become a better blocker but because he is different I think this gives him an advantage over the others. Really last year you could say Blount and Ridley were similar runners so BB could have just as easily kept Blount without a huge cost if he didn't feel Ridley had a big benefit than just a pound the rock RB. Personally I see BB carrying both a more traditional power back (Ridley) and a more pass orientied RB (White/Vereen), in terms of blocking and catching moving forward. This gives him the most flexibility for opponent then having 3 similar skill sets. Lets face it Bolden isn't nearly the same level of runner as Ridley so other than a possibility of Houston is that guy there really isn't a RB currently on the roster with the same skill set of Ridley which is an asset. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ronk1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

why would you say that Doug? Mthurl is an interesting poster here and adds a lot. no need to be so offensive

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Just ignore Rusty. His ego is bigger than the moon and feels everyone else is uneducated and below him. He has actually come out and said so multiple times and feels it's his duty to educate the masses by disparaging them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Mt hurl?  Bawaha

He was all but rooting for the jets from 2009-2011 while badhing what bb provides us as fans here every year.

He refuses to learn about cap concepts and irrationally thinks every draft pick should be a hall of famer.

I don't think adults who have the cognitive brain development of a 10 year old boy are good posters.  Sorry.

Mt hurl cannot think for himself.  Ivan fears gushed over white so only now does hurlie want to sing white's praises.  Like i said, some here let the anti-bb media lead them or in this case, just the media jn general.

If the fears interview never occurred, mt hurl would not have started this thread trying to act like he is onto something.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mt hurl?  Bawaha

He was all but rooting for the jets from 2009-2011 while badhing what bb provides us as fans here every year.

He refuses to learn about cap concepts and irrationally thinks every draft pick should be a hall of famer.

I don't think adults who have the cognitive brain development of a 10 year old boy are good posters.  Sorry.

Mt hurl cannot think for himself.  Ivan fears gushed over white so only now does hurlie want to sing white's praises.  Like i said, some here let the anti-bb media lead them or in this case, just the media jn general.

If the fears interview never occurred, mt hurl would not have started this thread trying to act like he is onto something.

[/QUOTE]

what does badhing mean?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I could be wrong on this one (from my statements above after seeing him in camp) and would be very happy if I was but still think he will end up in the Vereen role long term which was an expanded Woodhead role prior and the Faulk role prior to that. Around 75-125 carries a year and 40-60 recs a year which for me would be a great return

[/QUOTE]

I would be thrilled if EITHER Vereen OR White end up being as good a player as Faulk. Too many fans put too much stock in pure numbers. THere are backs who get more touches and many of those touches are pedestrian - touches that any decent player would give you the same (or better) production with. If you look at how many IMPORTANT plays Faulk had each game you would find a pretty good rate. Especially if you make sure to count key pass blocking that helped TB complete a pass.

Of course we all rightly value a guy who can get a good number more touches and still has a high rate of key and big plays. But dont under value a Kevin Faulk. It does not eliminate the need for a second RB taking much of the heavy lifting of the running game but as I said, Faulk was a strong key to our offense.

Sections
Shortcuts