I know every team has a salary cap...but...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: I know every team has a salary cap...but...

You're reaching for things to complain about now.  The cap is the cap, period.  No team can go over it.  It is what it is.  Every team brings in players.  The more cap space the more you can spend.  That's where the big FAs go.  The good teams have their cap space near or at the top which leaves them little wiggle room.

The draft is a re-hash from you're other post.  Give it a rest.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I find this kind of funny if it was not so wrong on so many levels.

Look how much Kraft makes on ventures outside of football or even within football has no bearing on what the Pats can spend on players salaries. If every team has a cap of 40 million (or what ever it is) then every tean can spend to that cap how they see fit. As for the Pats they have for every year pretty much used all of the cap. You also probaly don't realize that the cap had to be looked at not only from a one year perspective but also as a long range plan over 5+ years. I'd also say that prior to this past two weeks loses you probably never gave this subject any thought.
    Promoting from within is not always successful but it is good business. Each promotion from within means a much less learning curve as well as keeping a familirarity within players and coaches. Look at other teams that have brought in outside OC and Dc and see that it takes a few years for things to come together. BTW it is not always cheaper to stay in house.
    As for guys moving on every one including you when given the chance to move up to the next level in professional sports would do it even if the money was better staying put. It's about challenges and not just money look 2 mill to stay put is nice but 1.8 mil and being a HC is better for professionals not only in sports but every where.

You can complain about draft picks till the cows come home. You can complain about FA picks as well. The truth is that the Pats have done better than most and still had their share of failures.
    Yes a lot of misses but a lot of hits as well.

Just remember there are 32 teams with 60 players each that is almost 2000 players. Every year each team starts out training with about 75 to 100 guys in camp. One in 3 will fail to make it. So the loss is already at 33% per team or lets say 35 guys .
    If a team is wrong just 20% on the guys they keep the loss jumps up to almost 47 players or 45%. The issue is how good is a team at keeping that level of misses lower than other teams.

When you look at the Pats roster there are 21 guys with under 2 years in the NFL and another 14 with 5 and under years. 35 out of 60.
    With an average of 10 picks over the past 5 years each that means 35 of 50 picks are still with the team. I know a couple came via the FA route but the number is still high.

Patsfan76 you are sounding like a RS fan where the glass is always half empty even when it is 3/4 or more full.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

In Response to Re: I know every team has a salary cap...but...:
    You're reaching for things to complain about now.  The cap is the cap, period.  No team can go over it.  It is what it is.  Every team brings in players.  The more cap space the more you can spend.  That's where the big FAs go.  The good teams have their cap space near or at the top which leaves them little wiggle room. The draft is a re-hash from you're other post.  Give it a rest.
    Posted by garytx

i agree.

patsfan76 doesnt know football.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

OMG! The Pats have just hit a snag in the road this year, it has nothing to do with Kraft's unwillingness to pay anyone because Kraft doesn't deal with player signings; Belichick is the captain of the ship. He signs who he wants, releases who he wants, and trades for who he wants. 

Every team has a cap, the Pats had little room during the summer to do anything, there were no good FA pass rushers, Springs was one of the better available Corners on the market. SHUT UP, the reason why the Pats had very little to work with in the cap was because players make the most money in their contracts during their final year. Next years cap will be pretty high. This team isn't bad, just missing a couple of pieces.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Here some payroll numbers I found for 2008. Holy Cow!

://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nfl-salaries.php?from=search_webresults<1>&from=search_webresults<1>

NFL TeamsTotal Payroll
    NFL Oakland Raiders $152,389,371
    NFL Dallas Cowboys $146,401,600
    NFL Minnesota Vikings $133,354,045
    NFL Cleveland Browns $131,916,300
    NFL New Orleans Saints $131,531,820
    NFL Pittsburgh Steelers $128,815,061
    NFL Tennessee Titans $126,017,443
    NFL Arizona Cardinals $122,110,110
    NFL Jacksonville Jaguars $122,109,207
    NFL Chicago Bears $120,065,819
    NFL San Francisco 49ers$118,766,239
    NFL New York Jets $116,910,097
    NFL St. Louis Rams $116,677,660
    NFL New York Giants $115,816,180
    NFL Miami Dolphins $114,649,660
    NFL Buffalo Bills $113,364,927
    NFL Carolina Panthers $112,114,711
    NFL Washington Redskins $111,963,684
    NFL San Diego Chargers $111,813,340
    NFL Cincinnati Bengals $109,727,880
    NFL Philadelphia Eagles $109,557,398
    NFL Houston Texans $108,445,418
    NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers$104,329,311
    NFL Seattle Seahawks $102,985,710
    NFL Atlanta Falcons $96,391,525
    NFL Detroit Lions $95,827,117
    NFL Denver Broncos $95,599,778
    NFL Green Bay Packers $94,018,300
    NFL Indianapolis Colts $93,373,915
    NFL New England Patriots $92,734,120
    NFL Baltimore Ravens $90,713,965
    NFL Kansas City Chiefs $83,623,776

I know the cap number for this year is 127 million but have read that there are teams over it as well as teams that are below the minimum.  Didn't someone post something about the "Big Market" Patriots out spending Indy. 

Are the Pats really thirtieth in payroll?  BTW, these numbers are before getting rid of Seymore whose 6.5 million was second only to Brady.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AdrenalineJunkie. Show AdrenalineJunkie's posts

The Pats are very close to the cap... check out http://www.patscap.com

As you can see: "According to my figures the Patriots' 2009 cap figure is $126,694,785 for 57 signed players (53 active, 4 IR) and a 7-man practice squad. The 2009 salary cap is $127,997,000. The Patriots' 2009 adjusted cap is $129,831,466... So I have the Pats under their adjusted cap by about $3 million."

Those 3 million in cap are good to have in case of have to sign someone due to injuries.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBcheats. Show BBcheats's posts

OMG! The Pats have just hit a snag in the road this year, it has nothing to do with Kraft's unwillingness to pay anyone because Kraft doesn't deal with player signings; Belichick is the captain of the ship. He signs who he wants, releases who he wants, and trades for who he wants.  Every team has a cap, the Pats had little room during the summer to do anything, there were no good FA pass rushers, Springs was one of the better available Corners on the market. SHUT UP, the reason why the Pats had very little to work with in the cap was because players make the most money in their contracts during their final year. Next years cap will be pretty high. This team isn't bad, just missing a couple of pieces.
    Posted by 49Patriots

piece 1 - Defense
    piece 2 - Heart
    piece 3 - Coach who dosen't panic

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Here some payroll numbers I found for 2008. Holy Cow! :// www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nfl-salaries.php?from=search_webresults<1>&from=search_webresults<1> NFL Teams Total Payroll NFL Oakland Raiders   $152,389,371 NFL Dallas Cowboys   $146,401,600 NFL Minnesota Vikings   $133,354,045 NFL Cleveland Browns   $131,916,300 NFL New Orleans Saints   $131,531,820 NFL Pittsburgh Steelers   $128,815,061 NFL Tennessee Titans   $126,017,443 NFL Arizona Cardinals   $122,110,110 NFL Jacksonville Jaguars   $122,109,207 NFL Chicago Bears   $120,065,819 NFL San Francisco 49ers $118,766,239 NFL New York Jets   $116,910,097 NFL St. Louis Rams   $116,677,660 NFL New York Giants   $115,816,180 NFL Miami Dolphins   $114,649,660 NFL Buffalo Bills   $113,364,927 NFL Carolina Panthers   $112,114,711 NFL Washington Redskins   $111,963,684 NFL San Diego Chargers   $111,813,340 NFL Cincinnati Bengals   $109,727,880 NFL Philadelphia Eagles   $109,557,398 NFL Houston Texans   $108,445,418 NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers $104,329,311 NFL Seattle Seahawks   $102,985,710 NFL Atlanta Falcons   $96,391,525 NFL Detroit Lions   $95,827,117 NFL Denver Broncos   $95,599,778 NFL Green Bay Packers   $94,018,300 NFL Indianapolis Colts   $93,373,915 NFL New England Patriots   $92,734,120 NFL Baltimore Ravens   $90,713,965 NFL Kansas City Chiefs   $83,623,776 I know the cap number for this year is 127 million but have read that there are teams over it as well as teams that are below the minimum.  Didn't someone post something about the "Big Market" Patriots out spending Indy.  Are the Pats really thirtieth in payroll?  BTW, these numbers are before getting rid of Seymore whose 6.5 million was second only to Brady.
    Posted by bostatewarrior

I don't know about those numbers, I think they need some context.  What is payroll because it is not salary cap about ten teams are over in those numbers.  Payroll could mean everything and anything, all the coaches, groundskeepers, window washers etc.  I didn't see any explanation in that link. 

One point about cap numbers is that until the team has started the season and the roster is set those numbers are not accurate.  A team could clear 20million in space in anticipation of signing players, and the snap shot of that moment would just show them way under cap.

I think Kraft probably tells BB he can spend the entire cap as he sees fit. 

As far as coaching, if BB told Kraft "Mcdaniels is leaving and we need him because nobody under him is qualified to replace" him than Kraft would probably respect Bill's call and give him a raise.  BB probably thought O'brien had what it takes to replace him, and didn't want to hold Mcdaniels back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I find this kind of funny if it was not so wrong on so many levels. Look how much Kraft makes on ventures outside of football or even within football has no bearing on what the Pats can spend on players salaries. If every team has a cap of 40 million (or what ever it is) then every tean can spend to that cap how they see fit. As for the Pats they have for every year pretty much used all of the cap. You also probaly don't realize that the cap had to be looked at not only from a one year perspective but also as a long range plan over 5+ years. I'd also say that prior to this past two weeks loses you probably never gave this subject any thought. Promoting from within is not always successful but it is good business. Each promotion from within means a much less learning curve as well as keeping a familirarity within players and coaches. Look at other teams that have brought in outside OC and Dc and see that it takes a few years for things to come together. BTW it is not always cheaper to stay in house. As for guys moving on every one including you when given the chance to move up to the next level in professional sports would do it even if the money was better staying put. It's about challenges and not just money look 2 mill to stay put is nice but 1.8 mil and being a HC is better for professionals not only in sports but every where. You can complain about draft picks till the cows come home. You can complain about FA picks as well. The truth is that the Pats have done better than most and still had their share of failures. Yes a lot of misses but a lot of hits as well. Just remember there are 32 teams with 60 players each that is almost 2000 players. Every year each team starts out training with about 75 to 100 guys in camp. One in 3 will fail to make it. So the loss is already at 33% per team or lets say 35 guys . If a team is wrong just 20% on the guys they keep the loss jumps up to almost 47 players or 45%. The issue is how good is a team at keeping that level of misses lower than other teams. When you look at the Pats roster there are 21 guys with under 2 years in the NFL and another 14 with 5 and under years. 35 out of 60. With an average of 10 picks over the past 5 years each that means 35 of 50 picks are still with the team. I know a couple came via the FA route but the number is still high. Patsfan76 you are sounding like a RS fan where the glass is always half empty even when it is 3/4 or more full.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Couldn't have said it better myself Jimfromflorida.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

"No matter where and how long I live the Red Sox are and will always be number 1 no matter where they are in the standings." I see you practive blind faith too....24-7....you still sweating me....I know football....I asked a question about g.m..managing cap...which I admit I am ignorant too.,...but that is the business side..it doenst mean I dont know football...so relax.  Every one is on here tryna come up with a reason this team is suucking a ss right now....I have seen about a million posts from Get rid of Brady to fire the O.C. and D.C...but when someone shows a clear reason for decline...you wanna point out we draft better than other teams...not really...go check it out...All I'm saying Is I never looked into the salary cap thing and never understood why some teams can go get Hayneworth for 100 mill. and we cant even resign our guy Wilfork...ANybody KNow???  
    Posted by patsfan76

what do you care?

according to you "football is just game" lol

that is so weak.

Sections
Shortcuts