I know, I know...he is anti BB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I know, I know...he is anti BB

Eric Wilbur opines;

Wes Welker isn’t even here anymore and it’s still his fault.

There was the “drop” against the Giants in the Super Bowl. There was the drop against the Ravens in last year’s AFC Championship game. The former Patriots wide receiver was forced to sit out the opening playoff series against the Jets three years ago for his brilliant, yet ill-received comments about Rex Ryan’s foot fetish. Hell, let’s blame Welker for tearing his ACL in the final game of 2009, leaving him unavailable for the Patriots’ ugly playoff loss against the Ravens.

As it turns out, the Patriots’ loss to the Denver Broncos on Sunday was also Welker’s fault, at least if you listen to the sour grape words coming from Bill Belichick. Welker’s open-field hit on Aqib Talib knocked the pivotal Patriots cornerback out of the game, a 26-16 loss at Mile High that ended New England’s otherwise valiant season, and sent Peyton Manning and the Broncos to the Super Bowl in a fortnight.

On Monday, Belichick called out his former player for the incident, proving that there is still no love lost between the head coach and man who never seemed afraid to call out Belichick when the situation warranted.

“I feel badly for Aqib, the way that play turned out,’’ Belichick said. “I went back and watched it, which I didn’t have a chance to [Sunday], it was a deliberate play by the receiver to take out Aqib.’

“I’ll let the league handle the discipline on that play. It’s not for me to decide. It was one of the worst plays I’ve seen and that’s all I’m going to say about that.’’

You can bet that’s not all he’s saying about that behind closed doors.

Convenient though that this was Welker’s doing. Just as it wasn’t his fault in the Super Bowl two years ago, it wasn’t Brady’s fault, even though the likes of Kordell Stewart could have had a more accurate day throwing the football. It certainly wasn’t the fault of offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, whose questionable play-calling has put him in the crosshairs of fan angst. and has really prompted concern if he is indeed the heir-apparent to Belichick.

No, it’s Welker the headhunter.

“It was one of those plays where it’s kind of a rough play and I was trying to get him to go over the top, and I think he was thinking the same thing and wanted to come underneath and we just kind of collided,” Welker said. “It wasn’t a deal where I was trying to hit him or anything like that. I hope he’s OK, he’s a great player and a big part of their defense.”

Of course, this was also the second straight AFC title game in which Talib was knocked out due to injury. But to claim there was intent on Welker’s part to injure Talib comes off as petty, which isn’t surprising when you consider the tenacious relationship between the two. Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com probably sums up the play best with his assessment: “Ithink it should have been penalized,” he wrote on Monday. But do I really think Welker was intending to injure Talib? I don't.”

Neither do I.

Look, the Patriots had an unbelievable season, one in which they had to march on without Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, and Vince Wilfork, as well as having to possess the patience to break in a group of young wide receivers. The fact that they made it as far as they did is a testament to the talent and coaching philosophy that continues on Route One.

That doesn’t change the fact that - yet again - for a ninth straight season, a Patriots campaign ends in disappointment, a matter that would have been laughed at had you brought it up a decade ago. There’s the assumption that Brady and Belichick have one more in them, one more s hot at hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. After watching the wildly entertaining NFC Championship game Sunday night, I’m not so sure about that.

No, wise guy, Belichick hasn’t won one since the days of Spygate, but to bring that up as reason for failure is about as lazy as you can get. The Patriots carried on with a patchwork defense this season, and they should be commended for getting as far as Denver. But doesn’t it seem like “patchwork” is a term we use far too often when it comes to New England’s personnel?

There should not have to be blame on a day like this. The Patriots made it further than they ever should have this season.

But from the Hernandez situation to the Brandon Spikes controversy, maybe Belichick ought to look in his own mirror before laying blame on others for why his team won’t be headed to the Meadowlands until the fall.

At least until the next time we can blame Wes Welker for something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigMustache. Show BigMustache's posts

Re: I know, I know...he is anti BB

The problem is Brady, BB can't build the team he wants as long as he is on the team and taking up cap space.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BigMustache's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The problem is Brady, BB can't build the team he wants as long as he is on the team and taking up cap space.

[/QUOTE]

BB ste the roster and the salary structure. Why doesnt BB trade Brady? Why did BB resign him anyways?

Are you really Nitwitts? You sound as dumb as him....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigMustache. Show BigMustache's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BB ste the roster and the salary structure. Why doesnt BB trade Brady? Why did BB resign him anyways?

[/QUOTE]

Brady is holding the Pats back, his salary is preventing BB from building a championship defense.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Funny opening line by Wilbur.  BB never says anything.  Dont know why he decided to start now.  Maybe he wanted to take the heat off Richard Sherman :)

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I was surprised Belichick said what he said, I really was. Nothing good came from his saying that - turn on the radio he is getting roasted everywhere around here...and he should be. He sounded like a sore loser. He sounded like a guy that was burned by Welker, when he wasn't. It makes him look bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Haha!  Where is that Big ignore button?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was surprised Belichick said what he said, I really was. Nothing good came from his saying that - turn on the radio he is getting roasted everywhere around here...and he should be. He sounded like a sore loser. He sounded like a guy that was burned by Welker, when he wasn't. It makes him look bad.

[/QUOTE]

If BB was a player, he would be called a cancer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

A lot of words, but he didn't really say anything much of substance. Belichick is the reason they've not won since Spygate, is that what we're supposed to think? OK. It's not like there's any new ground being covered here. It's the same stuff you can read on this board all year. Lots of people saying the same thing right here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Haha!  Where is that Big ignore button?

[/QUOTE]

yep already hit the ignore button......idiotic post

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Intent to injure is not even at issue; the key point is:  illegal pick, intentional full speed hit that resulted in player injury.

If roles were reversed and Talib lined up Welker and knocked him out of the game - BB would be investigated; Talib would be suspended and all of the media would be bawling.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Intent to injure is not even at issue; the key point is:  illegal pick, intentional full speed hit that resulted in player injury.

If roles were reversed and Talib lined up Welker and knocked him out of the game - BB would be investigated; Talib would be suspended and all of the media would be bawling.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.  I believe that he commented about it to make the league and officials more aware of it and to watch for similar intentional plays in the Super Bowl. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agreed. Brady has gotten worse, not better.  So, why is he paid more?  It doesn't make any sense.

The union wanted him to set the market, BB obliged and here we are with a fading Brady.

Brady needs to take a paycut outright at this point. The cap is the same was it was in 2009!

[/QUOTE]

Brady's cap hit for 3 of the past 4 years 8m.  He has saved BB for the last time.

Also during that time, BB chalked up a whopping $50M in dead money from s hit signings over that 3 year period.

That is double Bradys cap for those years and is A LOT more concerning.

Reducing the available cap for by average of $16M per year, for cow pie players, who no longer play is the team building killer, not TB's cap hit which was less than half the wasted money, from BAD contracts.

Each time Brady restructured to reduce his cap hit, it went directly to off-setting some of that dead money, NOT PLAYERS.

THE GM NEEDS TO RETIRE.  Brady will not be saving his azz again. Nor should he have to.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Brady's cap hit for 3 of the past 4 years 8m.

Brady did the team a solid by signing the extension last offseason, but this is just false.  For the record I have no problem with Brady's contract.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Brady did the team a solid by signing the extension last offseason, but this is just false.  For the record I have no problem with Brady's contract.

[/QUOTE]

You are right.

Went back and checked and I incorrectly listed this years salary @ 8M when it was $13.8 which is still $2M shy of the dead money.  His extension saved $7.5 M off the original  $22M, so that savings went to off-set some of the $16M in dm, instead of being put to good use.

Last years cap hit was $8M and the dead money was $22.7, nearly triple his hit.  It also left them with an adjusted cap of only $100m, instead of the $123M original cap.

His cap hit is always less than others. This year 6th with only 200k separating him and 11th place.

The ridiculous, crusty, premise that TB's cap hit has hurt the team building when it is GLARINGLY OBVIOUS that BB's wasted dead money has been much more of a determent, is mind boggling. 

BB's robbing Peter to pay Pauls approach doesn't work.  Time to pay Peter too, instead of paying 150 Pauls who are no longer with the team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

There's a lot of NFL coaches that would've intimated the same thing that BB just did.

There's no question that he and Wes have no love for one another, but BB wasn't just criticizing Welker, he was trying to stand up for Talib.  

Did he go over the top?  Probably.  But for once, just think about it from the perspective of a locker room that probably dislikes Welker a lot more than Belichick does.  In the realm of gaffes that coaches have made, this one doesn't even register.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agreed. Brady has gotten worse, not better.  So, why is he paid more?  It doesn't make any sense.

The union wanted him to set the market, BB obliged and here we are with a fading Brady.

Brady needs to take a paycut outright at this point. The cap is the same was it was in 2009!

[/QUOTE]

Pats going away 34-17? Moron. You lost your right to opine. coward.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are right.

Went back and checked and I incorrectly listed this years salary @ 8M when it was $13.8 which is still $2M shy of the dead money.  His extension saved $7.5 M off the original  $22M, so that savings went to off-set some of the $16M in dm, instead of being put to good use.

Last years cap hit was $8M and the dead money was $22.7, nearly triple his hit.  It also left them with an adjusted cap of only $100m, instead of the $123M original cap.

His cap hit is always less than others. This year 6th with only 200k separating him and 11th place.

The ridiculous, crusty, premise that TB's cap hit has hurt the team building when it is GLARINGLY OBVIOUS that BB's wasted dead money has been much more of a determent, is mind boggling. 

BB's robbing Peter to pay Pauls approach doesn't work.  Time to pay Peter too, instead of paying 150 Pauls who are no longer with the team.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not just re-sign, but beg him to push money into the future again and again.  Poor cap management.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"The problem is Brady, BB can't build the team he wants as long as he is on the team and taking up cap space."

lolololololool

nice one. 

BB also can't build the team he wants if he signs hugely lucracrive tight end deals to guys with known background issues (AH) and injury issues (Gronk) who get into trouble (AH) and get injured (Gronk). 

If BB can't build the team he wants he should look in the mirror first and foremost. Kraft let him buy the groceries and he's made one heck of an omelette.

He was also able to pay quite a bit for underperforming receivers if you haven't noticed. 

That said, I do think Brady should go in and offer to give up some of his money though the player union would try to stop him, and he might be understandably reluctant to do that after BB nickled and dimed Welker out of town and paid big money to Amendola instead. 

Sections
Shortcuts