I loved what I saw last night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: I loved what I saw last night

In response to ATJ's comment:

The game was a nailbiter but I, too, was encouraged by much of what prolate offered above.  Jets D line is tough and their O line is nothing to sneeze at.  

Young wideouts, I believe, will progress.

It was a good divisional win under tough conditions.  It is only 2 games but I have liked what I've seen from the D thus far.

It was frustrating, but if not for that near-fumble by Ridley, I never felt NYJ had the game under control. It was not in the way that we are used to seeing them do, but I felt like Pats had control throughout the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

We could also leave out the details and simply say:  "I love what I saw last night as the Pats won again!"

Sort of like gettting a birdie playing golf in which your ball was going out of bounds, hit a tree, rolled onto the green and stopped a foot from the hole.  That circled number on the score card does not give the details.  Keep it simple, huh?

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the defense is a work in progrss, but coming together. I would find the following criticisms after watching both games at least 2 times (I watched the Bills game 3 times over the few days between games)

-I still am disappointed with the depth on the DL. Why is Bequette on the roster? Seemingly hoping for a return of Cunningham (which I am in favor) or Francis.

-The LB's are still getting beat on passing plays. With this group it is what it is, so why not do a better job jamming at the LOS or seeing what Collins can do?

-The one guy I am some what disappointed with is McCourty. I thought he would be close to pro bowl level, and after 2 games with below par QB's, he has not. His over the top help has been late numerous times, and the def backfield communication has been lacking. to me that is on McCourty  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

[QUOTE]

The game was a nailbiter but I, too, was encouraged by much of what prolate offered above.  Jets D line is tough and their O line is nothing to sneeze at.  

It was a good divisional win under tough conditions.  It is only 2 games but I have liked what I've seen from the D thus far.

I don't really agree with the Jets D Line being good. They got no real pressure on Brady and played the run to take out RIdley or whoever.  Wilkerson is possibly the most overhyped player in the AFC. I watch our games against them and he never makes a play.

I also think BB is hiding some injuries on the O Line. Connolly, maybe Solder. 

I also think Vince and Kelly are playing through something that is  nagging them. They've been invisible 2 weeks in a row.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Jets DLine was good, maybe the Pats OLine was not. Bottomline, the Pats OLine could not run block against the Jets DLine. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. THey outplayed the Pats OLine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Too tired to do any extensive analysis, but a few things really stand out as positives to me from last night:

• Finally, a D that looks like it can control the pace of the game.  I know, I should probably reserve judgment until they play a quality offense (jets are far from that), but I was never worried about the team's ability to hold their lead.  Haven't felt that way in years.  The end of last night's game reminded me of 2003, when Belichick was often content to allow both teams to just eat up clock, knowing his defense was unlikely to give up points.
    • I really like Jones. Liked seeing him moved inside on passing downs, with Buchanon adding pressure on the end.
    • Nink has been a beast.
    • Hightower is growing into a bigger role nicely.
    • Secondary looks good.  Gregory is playing well, and Harmon showed up weell when Gregory was hurt. Talib, Dennard, and Arrington are all playing at a high level, and McCourty is so solid.
    • I am actually excited about the rookie receivers.  Yes, the drops and route running mistakes were horrendous.  But what stood outmost to me was the fact that both Thompkins and Dobson were getting open all over the field.  It's been a lomg time since we've seen that kind of athleticism from our receivers.  Now if they can only learn to catch . . . 
    • Run didn't look good, but I don't think it was a point of focus last night.  Seemed to me that BB and McD were finding every possible opportunity to throw to the rookies.  I think that was intentional.  They want to give those guys lots of practice.  The miserable Jets allowed them a chance for a fifth preseason game almost.  It think it pays dividends down the road.

Call me crazy, but in the long-run, I am actually as concerned about the D as I am about the O. 

The current situation raises the urgency of getting those receivers on the same page as TB. THey will work hard to get working. Moreover, they will get a lot of real help in the next few weeks.

If there is any concern on O, it's the OLine's inability to run block. I don't know if they can get that fixed. The problem has been around for more than two years. RBs have always been the scapegoat, but it's really been the OL, who has been getting a free pass because they have been protecting TB well. Unfortunately, they need to do both well - protect TB and run block - if this team will get over the hump.

The D looked good stats-wise. They did not look that good on the field via eye test.

1) That was a bad offense that had a bad rookie QB. Sloppy conditions also shifted the matchup advantage over to the D. Yet, there was not much pressure. When they got pressure on, it took forever to get there. Kelly's sack for example would not be there on time in a normal game against a decent QB. 

2) Run D was average. They kept giving up 5 - 7 yards to Ivory. The D was really vulnerable to PA. The D was helped by the weather. PA was not going to work very well.

That D will get carved up by an above-average offense. 

HOwever, unlike the O, I am not sure where help is coming from going forward. The O will see significant improvements by mid-season. I am not seeing it for the D.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

It was frustrating, but if not for that near-fumble by Ridley, I never felt NYJ had the game under control. It was not in the way that we are used to seeing them do, but I felt like Pats had control throughout the game.

[/QUOTE]

This to me was what made me use the word "love" --  that feeling of being absolutely in control in the fourth quarter was what made the 2003 and 2004 teams such a pleasure to watch.  I haven't felt that in years, but last night it was back.  I know part of it was the Jets.  Against better competition it may have been different.  But in recent years we couldn't feel confident against even Dan Orlovsky when we had a two or three score lead.  Last night was different.  The D may finally be getting back to what we knew and loved a decade ago.

And the offense will comealong.  I haven't seen two WRs downfield and open like last night in a while.  Now if they only learn to catch and run the right routes.  It's receiver kindergarten out there, but the tots have some skill.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm not getting too alarmed about run defense yet.  They have been good at that for years, and I doubt Wilfork and Kelly are going to decline that fast.  I do think they are focusing a bit more on pass defense and that means less Spikes, even more nickel than in the past, Jones moved inside, and various tweaks that make the front seven (or six) less focused on the run.  They need a few weeks to work out the kinks, but I think they'll be able to step up against thr run when needed.

We'll see of course--they aren't deep in big, run stopping interior linemen, so if there is a decline in Wilfork's play, we might have more problems--but I think it's early to be too concerned.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This to me was what made me use the word "love" --  that feeling of being absolutely in control in the fourth quarter was what made the 2003 and 2004 teams such a pleasure to watch.  I haven't felt that in years, but last night it was back.  I know part of it was the Jets.  Against better competition it may have been different.  But in recent years we couldn't feel confident against even Dan Orlovsky when we had a two or three score lead.  Last night was different.  The D may finally be getting back to what we knew and loved a decade ago.

And the offense will comealong.  I haven't seen two WRs downfield and open like last night in a while.  Now if they only learn to catch and run the right routes.  It's receiver kindergarten out there, but the tots have some skill.

[/QUOTE]

You are so right about the "tots" the big criticism coming out of pre-season was that Dobson couldn't get separation off the line. Last night he beat his guy off the line the majority of time and was open all night. Like you said they just need to get up to speed on the correct routes and hold onto the ball. It will come and this team will be better off for it  from the middle to the end of the year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

It wasnt the jets Dline that caused the bad numbers for TB

They were good against the run on the inital push Thery were defending against the 2 playmakers the Pats had - JE and Ridley - The jets were basically beaten by 1 small receiver ,a great play action / mess up and a good D

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

In response to NESportnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was encouraged by the "D" last night. They brought us the win. I will say this , Jets dline is (I hate to say) gonna be good, they were tossing Vince aroud last night. Nothing else  I stil despise the Jests. I don't fault our offence for being thin , it happens, but they threw a lot to the rookies to give them reps they got separation alot, but couldn't get the clamps.....yet it will come. winis a win 10 days to get ready for the Bucs, Pats are STILL MY FAVORITE TEAM!! Anyone else??KMc.

What does the Jets D Line have to do with Vince Wilfork being tossed around?

I am flummoxed by some comments on here.

[/QUOTE]
    Sorry Russ, It was supposed to be an "O" I'm not the best typist,lighten up a shade.........