I met an ex-NFL player tonight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I met an ex-NFL player tonight

nothing big, but I am sure many of you may remember him from the Jets. His name is Jon Pendergrass and he played for the Seahwaks and Texans also. Not a very long career, but thought it was interesting and something worth sharing.

My parents live in Surprise Arizona and we went over to one of their friends house, well their daughter was married to this guy. Ironically I showed up with a Pats hat and he is a huge Patriots fan and really hates the Jets. So we had plenty to talk about!

Anyways, it was a cool experience, he now lives in Seattles as a personal trainer for highschool and college kids, which I thought was pretty awesome.

Anyone else have a 'small world' story like this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: I met an ex-NFL player tonight

In response to freediro's comment:

nothing big, but I am sure many of you may remember him from the Jets. His name is Jon Pendergrass and he played for the Seahwaks and Texans also. Not a very long career, but thought it was interesting and something worth sharing.

My parents live in Surprise Arizona and we went over to one of their friends house, well their daughter was married to this guy. Ironically I showed up with a Pats hat and he is a huge Patriots fan and really hates the Jets. So we had plenty to talk about!

Anyways, it was a cool experience, he now lives in Seattles as a personal trainer for highschool and college kids, which I thought was pretty awesome.

actually i was in a local bar the nite of the sf-pats game and met a guy who played one year for the pats when grogan was playing-and was on jets practice squad

also played in canada two years

believe his first name was tom? but last name was saltalamacchia-yeah his older cousin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

actually i was in a local bar the nite of the sf-pats game and met a guy who played one year for the pats when grogan was playing-and was on jets practice squad

also played in canada two years

believe his first name was tom? but last name was saltalamacchia-yeah his older cousin

Salt's cousin? LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Salty's older cosuin, I would believe it with that last name. The guy I met was by no means balling in cash, but his wife had a ROCK on her finger!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

When I was in the Air Force,I was stationed down in Austin Texas in 1977.I went to a wedding reception with a friend who lived in the area and was also stationed with me.I ended up meeting Earl Campbell,who was attending the University of Texas at the time and talked to him for a couple of minutes.I remember his thighs being as about as big as my chest

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

cool story! He must ahve percieved the Jets did him wrong if he still hates them! haha

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Gronk was in Worcester Sunday night. He made apperance at friend's bar called " Nuff CeD".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

This may be of interest Freediro.

A group I was with happened to be in a popular upscale Chicago bar. Some nice girls were hanging with us. One gal returned and said "the Bears are in the building". My pal turned and said "really, then go tell the Bears that we are in the building". and another turned and said " yeah, go tell them that Elvis has left the Building". Got some laughs but Jim McMahon was'nt there and he 's a funny character as I probably would have made an attempt to speak with him.

--

I had a nice friendship with Emil Karas a linebacker with the SD Chargers #56. He made it possible for me to attend a couple of practices and meet with players and coaches. Chuck Knoll was a young coach at the time. I was stationed at EL Toro Marine Air Wing  and we often ended flights at Naval Air Mirimar ( near San Diego) to interact with Naval Air early the next day for pre-flight mission, out over the Pacific, I met Emil while out on the town.

Emil was a wonderful person and soon became a  friend and we hung out together many times in San Diego. An AFC  West all star selection in those years before the merger. He sadly died at a young age of 38 from Cancer. Spent his last years working in the Chargers office.

To make a LS short he asked if he could take a flight with me (asked more than once) and through some channels it took awhile but was approved by the Charges/Naval Air from a standpoint of Navy/Public advert initiative (something like that), lot of paperwork to sign-off, to attract young people to Naval Air.

I did  a knife (tip of wing to ground) and asked him, "are you woozy"? he said No. Then a complete roll and asked "how about now"? He said No. Ok, here we go! He had a good ride as he hollered and screamed with joy. Wonderful memory of him. I was shipped out to SE Asia on my 1st of 2 tours in VN the 1st of which was really nothing much happening there yet and he wrote to me a few times, sadly I don't have the letters.

Emil is RIP...and going home soon

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

When I was in the Air Force,I was stationed down in Austin Texas in 1977.I went to a wedding reception with a friend who lived in the area and was also stationed with me.I ended up meeting Earl Campbell,who was attending the University of Texas at the time and talked to him for a couple of minutes.I remember his thighs being as about as big as my chest

my favorite running back to watch run.

i could watch his highlihgts over and over for years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

I had dinner with Ric Doc Walker at his house with his family. Nice everyday home and real grounded guy. However, he runs that house with a strong bark  it was pretty uncomfortable.

I also know joe thiesman and his kid. The kid is job hunting all the time. No direction and thinks his shxt does not stink. 

My friend used to play with the Jets and we talk trash all the time about the Pats and jets . Nice guy who stands in at 6 6 and his hands are so big they are hard to shake. 

We are all the same, they just have a different job. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

What? I met Wally C, once. Yep, was introduced by Babe Parilli ....;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I bought Steve Grogans used Lexus.  It was fun going through the GPS information and see the places he frequented.  tip- be sure to delete your GPS info when you trade in, it could get in the wrong hands.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

I bought Steve Grogans used Lexus.  It was fun going through the GPS information and see the places he frequented.  tip- be sure to delete your GPS info when you trade in, it could get in the wrong hands.

I bought John Voight's car back in the day. A Chrysler Lebaron.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Costanza? That you? lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

my favorite running back to watch run.

i could watch his highlihgts over and over for years.

+1 Earl Campbell was without a doubt the greatest RB ever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Seinfeld references never get old.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Costanza? That you? lol

No,it's Art Vandalay.He's an architect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

My parents live in Surprise Arizona

First, I used to live in Suprise, AZ back in '04-'05.

Anyway, when I used to attend Northeastern U. in Boston, my friends & I used to frequent a bar called the "Pour House" & used to run into Scott Zolak, where he was always in the basement area of the bar, in their VIP area (very small) & used to drink & talk with him.  He was still a back-up QB for Bledsoe at the time.  He was very humble and when asked told u, how could he be upset not being the starting QB when he was paid 6 figures to be a back-up QB, got A LOT of stuff for free for being a Patriot's player and just had to be ready to fill in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomar8477. Show nomar8477's posts

I played a round of golf with Tony Amonte and Flutie. It was me, my friend Amonte and Doug Flutie. Pretty cool. Some fund raiser thing 15 years ago

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

These are some awesome stories, fellas.

I have a pretty cool experience as well.  My stepmother used to babysit for ex-Steelers lineman, John Banaszak, and they remain good friends.  He stops by and stays for a few days when he and his family make their annual trip to the Outer Banks.  He played back in the Steel Curtain era and has 3 rings.  Those rings sure are something.  He now coaches over at Robert Morris.

Maybe the next time he comes down I can get a picture of his rings and post it on here.  It's a cool thing to see.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

all awesome stories!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomar8477. Show nomar8477's posts

I went to my grandmothers wake a few years ago in Buffalo. Patrick Kanes family was there along with Patrick. Had no idea they even knew them. Was cool...Chicago happens to be my team after the Bruins

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to nomar8477's comment:

I went to my grandmothers wake a few years ago in Buffalo. Patrick Kanes family was there along with Patrick. Had no idea they even knew them. Was cool...Chicago happens to be my team after the Bruins

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, but that's pretty cool she had connections with Kane.  Kid is an absolute stud. 

I'm not a big fan of the Blackhawks, but they have some amazing young talent and the 2nd best unis in the NHL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I'm not a big fan of the Blackhawks, but they have some amazing young talent and the 2nd best unis in the NHL.

Sorry for your loss Nomar as well....BUT if you were not keeping to just Football players 0:-)

My brother played in the NHL for a couple years (Drafted by the Quebec Nordiques & then traded to the Oilers), but before that, he played for the Sudbury Wolves, a Junior A team in Canada that was run by Pat Verbek's father.  We lived in NJ at the time & the first year of the NJ Devils team, we used to have Pat Verbek, Joe Cerella, Kirk Muller, John McClain & Shaun Burk over for dinner.  They were all Rookies & roomates of each other.  We had some VERY entertaining dinners to say the least...funniest was they all threw my sister in the snow after she spilled gravey on Joe Cerella.  We were very close with Pat's family until he was traded to Hartford & moved out there.

Now that brother and another live in Scottsdale, AZ and their kids play on teams with most of the Cyotes players kids.

Sections
Shortcuts