I met an ex-NFL player tonight

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: I met an ex-NFL player tonight

In response to apdynasty23's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to apdynasty23's comment:

I went into the Pats locker room after the Colts game in 2010. Got to meet Brady and his wife and son. Met Welker, Belichick, and Matt Light. Hung out in the kitchen where the players eat after the game. It was cool seeing Aaron Hernandez eat with his then-girlfriend. Same with Stephen Neal feeding his boys.

I'll never forget that experience.

Welcome back, AP.  How's that football site coming along?

I think we can all agree that this is, hands down, the best story of them all.

Do you have any pictures?  I love watching video of BB interacting with the team, along with Kraft, in the locker room.  I couldn't be more proud of the personnel we have across this franchise.  Cool stuff.

Oh it's coming along! I work on it when I have some spare time.

I do have some pics. I need to find them and post them. I know I did back in the day when some posters here called me out for fabricating the story haha.

And it's very cool to see the locker room. There are signs all over the place. Stuff like "If you don't want to win, you don't have to be here", "Don't believe the hype", "Do your job", etc.

All Patriots classics that the players live by, clearly.

Looking forward to seeing some of the pics.  And best of luck to you with finishing the site.  Be sure to announce it here when the site is finished so we can move on to a much more efficient Patriots forum.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Few more..I talked with Robert Parish back in 1998 in aisle 8 in a grocery store just north of Charlotte near Lake Norman, NC.  Just yelled out "chief!" and he turned and smiled.  Beyond bizarre to see him in the grocery store at random like that. He owns/owned a house there like many NASCAR drivers do.   He was probably looking for some snacks.    The munchies sometimes won't go away unless you take a trip to the grocery store.  

Saw Ricky Henderson with this kids in the grocery store in Fort Myers once too. This was 2002 when Ricky had a cup of coffee at the end of his career.   I just walked by and told him "good luck". Felt odd saying anything more while he was with his kids.  

Personally, I never understood the autograph thing/celebrity obsession thing.

Boston native Eliza Dushku is not only sexy, but cool. I'll leave it at that. hehe

So underrated.  I honestly think she's top 5 in hottest looks for celebrities.  Her acting isn't that great, but boy, she sure is nice to look at.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I have a story from 2002.

I was working as an office gopher in Boston for a company called First Realty Mangement. I would cover the phones for the receptionist from 12-1 everyday. Screening calls was part of the job before transferring to anyone. Here's what traspired:

Me - "Thank you for calling FRM, how may I help you."

Caller - "Hi, I need to speak to someone about my condo fees."

Me - "Sure, may I ask who is calling?" The woman who ran the condo dept always wanted to know who she was talking to before getting on the phone.

Caller - "Tom Brady"

Yes, THAT Tom Brady. FRM manages the condo complex in Quincy where Brady, Brady's sister, and Milloy all used to live (Brady actually bought Milloy's condo when he got cut).

No conversation beyond that, I just thought, and think it very interesting and telling that this Suber Bowl MVP was taking the time, himself, to call and clear up an issue. Not a manager. Not an agent. Not a 'handler'. Just himself. Very, very cool to me, and not even a hint of "do you know who I am" type of attitude and expectations.

Had I been more established and not in my first month at the company, I would have been less professional and tried to chat him up. That early crossing of paths forever helped mold the impression I have of Brady as a very down to earth, and 'real' person.

Bingo.  I never understood the hatred of Tom Brady outside of New England.  So many of my buddies (Skins and Stillers fans) always talk crap about Brady claiming he's a 'doosh' and 'arrogant' which are claims that are obviously unfounded.  The guy has never said anything negatively about an opponent in his whole career. 

Every person that I've talked to that has had an encounter with Brady tells me that he's one of the most down to earth, stand up guys you'll ever meet.  I love that about Tom. 

Awesome story, though, ma6.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I met Mo Vaughn at a real estate development conference.  We talked about his time in Boston but mostly we talked about he post-baseball career.  He is a smart guy and has managed to use some of his earnings to get into the housing development biz in MA, CT and NY.  Knows his stuff about the biz, and yes, he missed Boston once he got to Cali.  He asked me where in Ireland I'm from and I told him Dublin even though I'm from Scotland.  So he doesn't know accents!        

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Few more..I talked with Robert Parish back in 1998 in aisle 8 in a grocery store just north of Charlotte near Lake Norman, NC.  Just yelled out "chief!" and he turned and smiled.  Beyond bizarre to see him in the grocery store at random like that. He owns/owned a house there like many NASCAR drivers do.   He was probably looking for some snacks.    The munchies sometimes won't go away unless you take a trip to the grocery store.  

Saw Ricky Henderson with this kids in the grocery store in Fort Myers once too. This was 2002 when Ricky had a cup of coffee at the end of his career.   I just walked by and told him "good luck". Felt odd saying anything more while he was with his kids.  

Personally, I never understood the autograph thing/celebrity obsession thing.

Boston native Eliza Dushku is not only sexy, but cool. I'll leave it at that. hehe

So underrated.  I honestly think she's top 5 in hottest looks for celebrities.  Her acting isn't that great, but boy, she sure is nice to look at.

Oh my.  And the fact she is cool and easy to talk to makes her even sexier.  Love me those brunettes.

From what I've heard, most Boston native celebrities are like that.  I've heard the same for Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Mark Wahlberg, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

A close friend of mine is friends w/ an ex-player named Rob Brown, he played 11 yrs w/ the Packers, I got to meet him for the first time several yrs ago, very nice guy. The 1st thing that struck me was how rapidly his body is now breaking down on him. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

No one probably remembers this guy (Doug Keans), but when I was a kid he came to one of my early Saturday morning hockey games (it was around 6am). Doug was a goalie that was very underrated for the Bruins back in the 80's. My dad knew him through a friend and I remember thinking, wow what a great guy to get up that early to watch a bunch of kids play hockey...years later my dad would tell me the guy just hadn't gone to bed yet. Doug would party all night. Our team's goal tender let in 6 goals that game trying to impress Doug.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I have a story from 2002.

I was working as an office gopher in Boston for a company called First Realty Mangement. I would cover the phones for the receptionist from 12-1 everyday. Screening calls was part of the job before transferring to anyone. Here's what traspired:

Me - "Thank you for calling FRM, how may I help you."

Caller - "Hi, I need to speak to someone about my condo fees."

Me - "Sure, may I ask who is calling?" The woman who ran the condo dept always wanted to know who she was talking to before getting on the phone.

Caller - "Tom Brady"

Yes, THAT Tom Brady. FRM manages the condo complex in Quincy where Brady, Brady's sister, and Milloy all used to live (Brady actually bought Milloy's condo when he got cut).

No conversation beyond that, I just thought, and think it very interesting and telling that this Suber Bowl MVP was taking the time, himself, to call and clear up an issue. Not a manager. Not an agent. Not a 'handler'. Just himself. Very, very cool to me, and not even a hint of "do you know who I am" type of attitude and expectations.

Had I been more established and not in my first month at the company, I would have been less professional and tried to chat him up. That early crossing of paths forever helped mold the impression I have of Brady as a very down to earth, and 'real' person.

Bingo.  I never understood the hatred of Tom Brady outside of New England.  So many of my buddies (Skins and Stillers fans) always talk crap about Brady claiming he's a 'doosh' and 'arrogant' which are claims that are obviously unfounded.  The guy has never said anything negatively about an opponent in his whole career. 

Every person that I've talked to that has had an encounter with Brady tells me that he's one of the most down to earth, stand up guys you'll ever meet.  I love that about Tom. 

Awesome story, though, ma6.

Agree. A buddy of mine a Packers fan called him "arrogant" about 5 years ago. I was stunned. Brady? "Arrogant"?  The guy is always putting blame on himself, right or wrong, praising the teammates and opponents and is highly respected by his peers.

Here's what always gave it away to me:  The ones who whine about Brady are losers and turds. The Turdell Thuggs, James Harrisons, Antonio Cromartie, etc, etc. They're low character LOSERS who are jealous of Brady's accomplishments and the attention he garners.

Then, I realize the fans out there who don't have Brady as a QB are also jealous. That's all it is.

The media, its coverage, the exposure, etc, sort of perpetuates fans' feelings towards athletes today, good or bad.

Somehow Brady is "arrogant" but Gomer throwing his entire O Line under the bus or calling his kicker "an idiot", is not.  Or Roethlisberger or Philip Rivers and his antics.  Please. Brady has been as professional and classy as any superstar in any sport the last 30 years.

Well said.  It's amazing to me how morons are glued to ESPN and see how they stroke Gomer's wang which somehow makes them believe that Gomer is the Second-Coming of Christ.  Goodness, if Brady did the types of commercials Manning did, people would be claiming he's full of himself, attention craving, etc.

Don't even get me started if Brady had sexually assaulted a girl in college like Gomer did.  The media, along with the rest of the jealous rats, would have a FIELD DAY.

I would love for the trolls, specifically Underdick6, to find an article that quotes Brady throwing any of his teammates under the bus.  Please, do it.

Haters hate contexts and they hate facts.  Just like every time I get into it with my Steelers buddy.  He, bashing Brady when his QB is Ben Rapistburger, is the definition of irony.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The ones who whine about Brady are losers and turds . . . They're low character LOSERS who are jealous of Brady's accomplishments and the attention he garners.

Did the biggest whiner of all when it comes to Brady actually say this? ;-) 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I guess I've met a few over the years, the ones that I had any sort of meaningful (to me anyway) interaction with were Tommy Hearns, Martina Navratilova, Jerome Bettis, Richard Dreyfuss (a-hole), Warrick Dunn, Marilyn Chambers, Kevin McHale. Hearns was friendly and soft spoken, Martina was what you'd expect, cordial but standoffish, not much to say. I've done business with Bettis and he's smart and very outgoing, genuine.  Dunn is a good guy, very friendly.  Mchale was unbelieveable. He spent 45 minutes talking to me and about 6 of my colleagues when he really had no reason to. Answered every question. This was when he was with the Cs in 1987.  That was also when I met Hearns, it was right after the game where Parish punched Laimbeer. Hearns was in Boston for the game.

Met Chambers about that time also. She had great legs! RIP...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

I worked for Stephen for little over a year at his radio stations in Bangor, Maine. Very interesting guy. He rents out an entire screen from a movie theater each Halloween and hosts a Stephen King night. Firends, employees and winning listeners get to hang with him and enjoy the evening. They have costumes, refreshments and of course they always play one of his classics. The last one I went to was The Mist. You can tell he has that creative genius lurking just behind his eyes.

Best fiction writer ever and it ain't close.

Well, Charles Dickens . . . 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

I worked for Stephen for little over a year at his radio stations in Bangor, Maine. Very interesting guy. He rents out an entire screen from a movie theater each Halloween and hosts a Stephen King night. Firends, employees and winning listeners get to hang with him and enjoy the evening. They have costumes, refreshments and of course they always play one of his classics. The last one I went to was The Mist. You can tell he has that creative genius lurking just behind his eyes.

Best fiction writer ever and it ain't close.

Well, Charles Dickens . . . 

Yeah, best fiction writer ever!?  Maybe of horror genre, he's up there. But best ever?  Come on, man. Better than Joyce, Hemingway, Shakespeare and on and on?

King is a great writer and one of the most prolific, no doubt, but best ever? Nah.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Hearns was so underrated.  He was better than Leonard but he just didn't have the outgoing personality the media liked. Does  not surprise me with Dreyfuss. He sort of comes across like he would be.  Shatner is also supposed to be a tool.

Hearns had tremendous reach, and it wasn't like he was throwing jabs from 5 ft, he was throwing bombs.  Probably shouldn't have fought Hagler, but I imagine he needed the paycheck.  

Forgot that I met Hagler as well. In Faneuil Hall, he was hitting on a woman I knew and she invited me over and introduced me.  That was after he fought Hearns and before Leonard. Anyway, he was cordial enough but I could tell he wanted me to scram, so I did. He didn't get her by the way. She told me later that she asked me over there to try and get out of the situation. 

A couple of things surprised me about him, first he was all alone, no entourage, no nothing.  Also, he had kind of a dead fish handshake which caught me off guard a bit. 

Was in Ali's presence about 4 years ago in DC at an event. Had no interaction with him. His wife and another woman (sister?) were holding him up while he shuffled around the room. It was sad and cool at the same time.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ed Westfall lived in Pelham NH when he played for the B's. I saw him at Skate 3 in Tyngsboro watching his son practice. There were a lot of people around and he was just sitting there very inconspicuosly. I recognized him and just looked at him and knodded my head towards him and he smiled and did the same. I think he liked the fact that he was not bothered by me and that I did not make others even notice him.

I also have never understood the whole autograph thing especially for marginal players.

Fully understand guys like Mays, Mantle, Williams, Orr, etc... why anyone would want an autograph of a non HOF type is beyond me.

Besides most autographs end up being thrown away by Mom.

• This post has been removed.

• Sections
    Shortcuts