I say Keep these Refs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I say Keep these Refs

I'm Watching the Redzone and Can't help but think that these replacement Refs are letting the players play a lot more than the regulars. They have blown a couple of calls but so do the regulars every week. I don't know whether this is an NFL initiative or just the way inexpeienced NFL Refs call games but they are giving the defensive backs a lot more lattitude and for the most part not destroying games with subjective holding calls and Pass Interference calls.

No Reason to bring the PrimaDonnas back

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: I say Keep these Refs

i thought so too, there were not many flags thrown and it looked like if it was close they just let it go. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

to me it does not matter if they calling less or more so long as they stay consistent, at least throughout the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

In response to Rerun85's comment:

I'm Watching the Redzone and Can't help but think that these replacement Refs are letting the players play a lot more than the regulars. They have blown a couple of calls but so do the regulars every week. I don't know whether this is an NFL initiative or just the way inexpeienced NFL Refs call games but they are giving the defensive backs a lot more lattitude and for the most part not destroying games with subjective holding calls and Pass Interference calls.

Tell that to the SF fans who just saw a blatant block in the back call on a punt return
    overturned by the replacements.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to tartarus12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have too agree with my friend here.  The Refs in this game are almost as bad as Jim Harbaugh's facial expressions which are even worse then Tin Coughlins.

Tell that to the SF fans who just saw a blatant block in the back call on a punt return

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Pats- Titans game was luck of the draw with a decent crew of replacement refs. I thought they were consistent and let players play with very few whistles. I was thinking like rerun- this might not be so bad. In fact may be good.

Watching SF-GreenBay and the whistles are frequent with more than a few questionable calls. Wild game- game giving refs a run for their money. So to quote BB "it is what it is".
    And who knows what it is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

the refs will have a learning curve and that curve will be steep. i just don't think that curve is very high. refs now have a lot of tools like replay to get things right. the experience required to call a game is not as high as it used to be. i believe they'll all be fine three to four games in. 

i don't mind them consulting each other more often than we are used to.

i also don't buy that the refs getting together to discuss the right call really makes the game longer. it's a game with four 15-minute periods, that is played over a span of three hours. if the league really wants to keep the game going, they should have less and shorter commercial breaks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tartarus12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have too agree with my friend here.  The Refs in this game are almost as bad as Jim Harbaugh's facial expressions which are even worse then Tin Coughlins.

[/QUOTE]

I say that every week with the regulars though. They make horrible calls every week too.
    I like the fact that they are letting thongs go a little. I've even seen a couple of helmet to helmet shots go by the boards.

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

As I watch them try their best to give GB a win, sign the real refs please!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In response to darwk's comment:

Pats- Titans game was luck of the draw with a decent crew of replacement refs. I thought they were consistent and let players play with very few whistles. I was thinking like rerun- this might not be so bad. In fact may be good.

Watching SF-GreenBay and the whistles are frequent with more than a few questionable calls. Wild game- game giving refs a run for their money. So to quote BB "it is what it is".
    And who knows what it is.

Don't you find that you can pick a couple of bad games out every week even with the Old Refs? I like these guys because they let them play a little more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

to me it does not matter if they calling less or more so long as they stay consistent, at least throughout the game.

I like consistency too but definitely want less flags thrown all the way around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I agree with you Rerun, the "regular Refs" F up just as much.  That's why I like what the NFL is doing.  They want more Ref teams so they can bench the worst ones.  Of course all Unions fight any performance based system.  Take the teachers union for example.  They are the most powerful and the biggest Shlub protectors.

How about that allstar crew that officiated the 2006 AFC championship game or the Steeler/Seahawk Super Bowl.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I thought the Pat's game was well officiated today, keep them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Well...up until the very end of the SF/GB and STL/AZ games, I thought the refs had done a very good job.  They're not calling the little ticky-tack contact that naturally occurs in the course of the game.  I think makes the game a whole lot better.  I know Bill Polian and Peyton Manning won't appreciate it, but whatever. 

The refs today called the games down the middle and haven't become PART of the outcome of a game...unlike Ed Hochuli and Jeff Triplett like to be.  I think that's a whole lot worse than missing an occasional puss foul which occurs about 20 yards away from the play.

I think overall, i'd give them a score of 89/100.  They did a lot better than I thought they would have been able to do.  Cap tip to all of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

[QUOTE]

Don't you find that you can pick a couple of bad games out every week even with the Old Refs? I like these guys because they let them play a little more.

Good point. Yeah regular refs have bad games on a regular basis. Maybe replacements will be better for the game as a whole. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I was thinking the same thing. A lot less 'ticky tacky' calls, which makes for a better game. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'd rather have them call it like today, let the small stuff go instead of being flag happy.. Who can forget that 2006 AFC Championship game, all the db had to do was look at the Colt receiver and the flags came out.  It disrupts the flow of the game when they constantly throw flags and a lot of it isn't necessary.  Good job overall today.